I've been gradually watching all WWF programming from February 1997 on and off over the course of the last few years...

I've been gradually watching all WWF programming from February 1997 on and off over the course of the last few years. I'm up to February 2000 at this point. Here's a few observations I have based on not watching any of it live or being around at the time.
>nobody will ever be as over again as Stone Cold or The Rock. It's just not possible.
>Billy Gunn fucking sucks
>X-Pac fucking sucks
>there was a time where you could legitimately make the case for Brian Christopher/Grandmaster Sexay being one of the top ten faces in the company, let that sink in for a moment
>1997 was probably the best year I've watched so far and heel Bret was incredibly based
>DX should have never went past 1998, the revival under WWF Champion Haitch has been pointless and terrible. Heel DX after that long period of face DX just does not work.
>Mick Foley fucking rules
>say what you will about The Rock but I love him and it's obvious why he was pegged as a future movie star level talent, he could literally unironically get the loudest pop of the night by DOING NOTHING AT ALL
>1999 was a really bad year for both Undertaker and Big Show
>Owen Hart was great
>Jericho rules
>Angle rules
>Chyna sucks
>if you give even a single fuck about things like titles being respected in any way, general coherence, matches with any level of workrate, etc then you will hate 1998-1999 WWF

Attached: 1561530638784.gif (245x195, 1.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

streamable.com/b36ty
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'll beat you niggers to it
>Nice blog
Suck my dick

You shoul've started from 1996. It gets a bad rep but it was comfy. Other than that based wwf chad!

I was mainly aiming to experience the Attitude Era. First I tried starting at the beginning of the Monday Night Wars in 1995 but I was being bored to tears and there was nothing fun other than Bret/Diesel at Survivor Series. Figured I'd start over at the general build to WM13 which is where people seem to agree the Attitude Era started.

well you dingus that's why i said 96 and not 95 because it actually really sucks!

Things actually get based around half-way through 96 when Diesel turns heel, everybody remembers 97 as the Attitude birthing year but there was plenty of edgy shit in place already.

What are your thoughts on
>1997 HHH
>DX babyface HHH
>main event heel HHH

More scattered observations
>Ivory is the only woman worth a shit, the rest are either pointless bimbos whose personality is "has big tits", who gives a shit like Jacqueline, or Chyna (generally underwhelming and can't talk)
>Dudleys are great, speaking of which there is a bizarrely large number of man on woman attacks at the point I'm to right now, it happens at least once on every show
>EC and the Hardys are also great, they're still developing as personalities and talkers from where I am but they both are entertaining especially when working with each other. I can totally see how these two teams plus Dudley Boys are going to make 2000 something special in the future, all three can play off each other great
>oh yeah forgot to mention this before but Hardcore Holly fucking sucks. Crash is okay, he's a dope but he's fine
>Viscera, Mideon, and Big Boss Man should have been left back in the Corporate Ministry, all three of them suck shit and should never be given TV time. Gangrel to a lesser extent, his theme bangs but the guy himself is underwhelming
>I like how Godfather seems to always be having just the best time. I'd be having a good time too if I barely had to do anything other than hang out with strippers and give a catch phrase. D'Lo Brown is linked with him now, must have missed the Raw where this was explained because I still don't know. I honestly like D'Lo but it feels like an unpopular opinion, him being Godfather Jr. is kind of disappointing
>Big Show. He doesn't necessarily suck but he has been horribly utilized. Same thing to a lesser extent with Kane, both are just made to look stupid or not nearly as dominant as they should be time and time again
>Legion of Doom return was fun in 1997 but they stuck around WAY too long. By the time they finally left I had been wishing they weren't around for a long time. By that point they just felt boring to me, doesn't help they had lost Ellering
>heel turn killed Ken Shamrock's career

Now this guy gets IT.

Also 2000 was their best year creatively and was great until immediately after Summerslam, then you'll find they couldn't sustain it for the last quarter. Still fun, but there was definitely a dip. You'll know it when you eventually get there

HHH
Up until he linked with HBK I didn't really feel much one way or another about him. At least by the time I was watching he already had Chyna, so he had that going for him. Not a fan of the blue blood gimmick because I don't think it fit him.
>>DX babyface HHH
Probably my favorite version of him so far, but he definitely felt more like "leader of popular face stable" than "main event level talent" or anything. At least he wasn't constantly trying to take the spotlight.
>>main event heel HHH
It's been rough. I think people forget that long winded Triple H promos to start the show were definitely already a thing by 1999. I think he got the WWF Championship a bit too soon. He needed more time to grow into main event Triple H that eventually came to be credible. Even by February I'm not exactly buying it. But I'll get back to that in a bit. When he got the title, it felt hollow because he didn't beat Austin for it. Austin/Rock still felt way bigger than Trips when he got the title and that's not the best sign for an up-and-coming champion. The feud with Vince didn't really grab me. The biggest problem with Triple H so far has been that he still depends on DX. He's supposed to be this badass who can pound anyone into the ground and will have a smug grin while standing on your corpse, but he's still running nu-DX and... it just feels off.
It got better when he linked with Stephanie, going into that angle it's really weird since he pretty much only did it to fuck with Vince, but when Trips and Steph took over as authority figures, it felt good, it felt fresh. Vince had been main authority figure for so long and it was starting to feel played out. Granted, this still hasn't really helped Trips feel like a main event level guy. The Foley feud has been good for Haitch, although because of how the shows are being booked with him as both leader of DX and an authority figure, he doesn't feel completely focused on Foley.

Attached: 1581205262747.png (189x400, 137K)

Define coherence here, because they gave a shit about continuity far more then than they have in yaears now

kek what a forced push caged bitch

based observations

Attached: 0511-sd-this-is-cardboard.jpg (708x533, 75K)

In one astonishing coincidence Steph takes over as head of creative around then.

OP are you watching it on the network? Because if so, then CRINGE

literally within seconds of Chris Kreski being replaced by Stephanie as head of creative the quality of the show tanked

Attached: 12700 - matt_hardy promotional_image.jpg (1583x1984, 384K)

More on main event heel HHH
He just still (February 2000) doesn't feel like he should have the WWF Championship, and he doesn't really feel LIKE the Champion. It doesn't feel like it's that big of a deal if someone faces him, he isn't this huge presence that commands respect. It's definitely felt for a long time like The Rock should be Champion and that Trips should be proving himself by taking down people. The biggest issue just seems to be that he wasn't ready. His character wasn't fully developed, I haven't had the time with heel Trips to find him convincing in the role he wants to be playing, etc. I think he's not far off from being able to feel like a main event level talent, though. He isn't NOT big. He doesn't feel like a nobody or anything, he's definitely somebody. I just think they pulled the trigger too soon and hadn't had him as a character really hammered out yet. I mean, part of his feud with Vince was that Vince didn't think he was a worthy champion. That has to be a response to fans saying the same thing, problem is the Vince feud didn't convince me.
Oh, and just a throwaway observation on Steph. She was fucking terrible. Now she's a bit better. She still isn't great at talking, but having her be an intentionally obnoxious smug heel is WAY better than having her be innocent victim. Plus, I love how the post-Russo writers (can't remember off the top of my head) used stuff from the Corporate Ministry storyline to plausibly explain her heel turn. "Remember when you had your cronies kidnap me, DAD?" Yeah, she's right!
Speaking on that, I will say that writing overall has felt more logical as of late, which things usually happening for a reason, titles feeling more important/being used at all, storylines progressing in a logical manner while also keeping surprises going, etc. I was starting to get pissed off by Russo's writing in 1999 and things are in a better place now FMPOV.

Attached: 1551500162046.gif (200x150, 1.47M)

I am, although it's my dad's account I've been piggybacking off of for years. Not sure how you'd feasibly be able to watch every Raw, SmackDown! and PPV without it

>not watching grainy VHS quality taped shows as it happened with 90s commerical in it to give you a better overall feel of that time
BAKA

If I could watch every show off of VHS rips I'd gladly be doing it

but RAW & Smackdown don't even go up on their Network until like a month later

XWT

Attached: Lita (2).webm (640x640, 1.11M)

since you're already 3/4 complete with the attitude era, there's really no point. Just stick to what you've been watching on

I don't watch the current product, I'm talking about watching the 1997-2000 era shows. I know in like 2007 I tried to watch Attitude Era shows and just couldn't find them anywhere. The best I could do back around then was watch that 15th Anniversary of Raw DVD set they released.

Attached: the-best-of-raw-15th-anniversary-dvd-cover_0.jpg (379x500, 64K)

>who gives a shit like Jacqueline
smol black girl with huge fake tits, if you don't like it then start taking T supplements

>I'm up to February 2000
Wait until you get to late 2000, and early 2001. The best run of storylines and WWE PPVs ever.

>Royal Rumble 2001
>No way Out
>WrestleMania 17
Quality was through the roof. It all goes to shit once the Invasion angle begins just after Mania though.

Shit negro I'll check it out.

>watch network version
>no mae young and Jacqueline titties
feels bad man

invasion didn't being until like late may-june though

I started to watch from the beginning and when I got to 95 I gave in. It's nearly as bad as it is now but at least it was only an hour long I guess

wonder if that OP got this set of lingerie too

OK, fair enough. Time has diluted my memory I guess. But the Rock leaves for Hollywood the night after Mania, right? Austin goes all in on his heel run as I remember, teams up with Hiatch, beats the ever loving fuck out of Rocky

Yes is all i gotta say. Let's not ruin it for OP

I already know about Two Man Power Trip, you can't be a wrestling fan and not just learn a ton of stuff by osmosis alone

if only divas braps could reach to us by osmosis

Attached: 1459025153_pepe90.png (706x680, 84K)

Till when are you stopping on this catch up watching? After WM-X7?

Attached: 1576677468349.webm (668x470, 222K)

I was just going to keep going until who knows when. I know little about the Invasion and I'd like to see how that goes, years back I was watching through 2002 SmackDown! episodes so I'm excited to get back to those times. Probably stop when I get too bored, I guess.

and DDP Yoga was born

dude enjoy 2000. it's the GOAT year of WWF in my opinion.

how old are you btw?

Attached: 1504643493521.png (604x613, 257K)

And that's not a bad thing... that's a GOOD thing.

The one thing I remember was Miss Kitty's titties from Armageddon 99. Holy shit, what a way to end the decade.

.... we're actually the same age..... at least you're not a zoom zoom. What year did you start watching wrestling?

Around 2002, maybe 2003. I was only really interested in the video games at that time though, didn't regularly watch the TV shows until 2006. Then I was off and on watching somewhat casually from then until around 2011. Got back into WWE for the build to WM30 in 2014 and I would say I was actively watching closely until mid 2018, but by then I had lost most of my interest. Biggest thing is if I'm living with my dad it's dead easy to stay up to date because he watches all of the shows every week, simple enough to just hang out in the living room and absorb it in the background. Since I moved out for good I've only been sort of paying attention and I just go to my dad's for PPVs. I think I started watching the 1997 shows around 2016 and have similarly been off and on about it.

She didn't have titties

I’m 25 and my first event was WM 17, but my first proper memory is after around 2002 when Cena and Orton were starting off, watched solidly till 2012 and then was on and off till 2016 and now been watching since again but it’s been a rough ride since 2016, it’s not like it used to be. A few promotions have peaked my interest like Lucha Underground though that kept me hooked.

>watch on and off again when it was still decent
>watch actively the moment it turned to shit that is currently out
I want to scream just reading this. But other than that very interesting anecdotal account of your time a a wresting fan

25 year olds are zoomers ya zoom zoom dingleberry

ya dingleberry

Yeah, meh. If I could go back now I'd tell my 2002 self to watch SmackDown!. For what it's worth 2014 was pretty kino when it came to NXT and 2014-2015 was a time that felt very foundational for the next couple of years. Sort of like the 1997 of Attitude Era, I guess. You could see little glimpses of what the future would be like but it wasn't a fully formed direction yet. Especially in regards to the whole "NXT women's wrestling takes over from Diva's women's wrestling" aspect, it started in 2014 with Paige.

Thought the same thing

you've been good so far but i hate to do this to you:
I don't watch NXT so i don't care

kek just had to get it out of my system. I just watch old wrestling or promos/matches of specific feuds between guys i give a shit about that i missed or thought that i should give it a chance.

Unironically thanks for reporting, OP. Some takes are interesting.

Reminder to overstuff yourself on Monday nights with Chef Boyardee OverStuffed Beef Ravioli

Attached: ravioli.png (899x494, 729K)

Somebody explain the tag team turmoil match to me and why there seems to be one every ppv. Why does the first team have to beat 4 teams in a row to win? Why does the last team have to only beat 1 team that's already handicapped by having been fighting already?

Attached: Turmoil.jpg (600x338, 50K)

I usually skip those because they never mean anything. I mean Acolytes won that match and then they completely forgot they were #1 contenders for like three or four weeks.

Fuck you Hardcore Holly was based, he just never got to show it. He had a mini on and off feud with Benoit that went nowhere around judgement day 2000 so you're close and always brought out the intensity in benoit.

I’m currently on June 2000 and I wouldn't doubt Rock is the most over on the roster at that time

Fuck Hardcore Holly he's such a smug faggot. You just know this cunt thinks he's better than he actually is.

me and my buddies did this because one of us got a free month for the rumble. We chose 96 because that's when Stone Cold debuted. The Billionaire Ted skits were kino as fuck. The Godwin's were, too. Also Sunny was so fucking hot.

Also coincides with the HHH/Angle/Steph program getting dropped despite its monster ratings, all because HHH got insecure he was about to get an Olympic Cucking in a shoot.

w-w-w-where can i watch VHS rips of wwf shows, user?

Attached: 1580935251054.png (370x320, 39K)

I agree with this. Triple Hs character is far to underdeveloped for anyone to invest in but he’s getting nepotism title runs. Really hurts the belt, lots of hotpotatoing in 2000

>he was good he just never showed it

How would you have improved Triple H’s character in order to feel like he belongs in the main event scene or as a champion?

I think 2001 could have been his best year had he not been KWAB’d by his quad tear, personally.

>he didn't watch kino SMW Holly
>he didn't watch ECW grumpy asshole Holly
please educate yourself right now!

1996 is the only year you get to see peakest of peak Sunny and people who don't start from that year are simps!

Well, I'll just say that of everything I've seen of Hardcore Holly, he appears to be a clown who sucks.

They didn't know what to do with big show in the beginning and the consensus back then was he cut his teeth working for the enemy so he still needed to pay his dues. Shamrock pissing off Triple H is what killed his career.

Out of curiosity, what do you think of big show's short fucking title reign?
Also, I've kinda been doing the same thing you're doing except I started at the raw right after the Montreal screwjob. It seemed like a good starting point. I'm in ~June of 2000. One thing I will warn you of, Pat Patterson vs Gerald Brisco in an evening gown hardcore match for the hardcore title is the absolute stupidest shit I've ever seen. I would mentally prepare yourself for that one. Pat Patterson starts giving people the stinkface with shit stained tighty whiteys. I don't know if they were being punished or Vinny mac just legitimately thought it was 'funny' but it wasn't. It was fucking retarded.

OP, what did you think of 1997 HBK and heel Bret up to the Screwjob? Cactus Jack and Dude Love? Vader’s shitty AE run? Jeff Jarrett?

I've fucking seen him wrestle live in-person. He a shit.

>Billy Gunn fucking sucks
>X-Pac fucking sucks

Attached: d90.png (644x800, 15K)

>Out of curiosity, what do you think of big show's short fucking title reign?
It was fucking terrible, Show never did anything after WMXV to seem like he was world champion material, and he was stuck in a feud with Big fucking Boss Man over the title. They didn't even pretend that Show was a big deal as champion because he was easily third behind whatever Trips and Rock were up to.
>OP, what did you think of 1997 HBK and heel Bret up to the Screwjob?
Honestly knowing it was leading up to the Screwjob made it all hit in a way that it wouldn't have unless you were watching live and didn't know about the Screwjob. Heel Bret in general was awesome, though.
>Cactus Jack and Dude Love?
Dude Love as Austin's Tag Team Champion partner was fucking great, Dude Love in general was great. The Cactus Jack/Chainsaw Charlie era of Foley was fine, nothing crazy, just fine. I'll definitely say where I'm at right now is a better time for Cactus Jack although it does feel generally more "Mick Foley" than "Cactus Jack".
>Vader’s shitty AE run?
I know Vader can be great but I remember nothing of Attitude Era Vader other than him being a fat piece of shit
>Jeff Jarrett?
Meh. Owen/Jarrett with Debra was fine though.
Perhaps blame overexposure. Having to deal with the whole Mr. Ass winning King of the Ring thing kind of tipped me over the edge on hating Billy Gunn. Road Dogg doesn't bother me as much because they rarely have tried to have him be a singles guy, and he can deliver the catchphrases well. Billy Gunn should never be allowed to talk and shouldn't be anywhere near the top of the card. X-Pac took about as long to wear on me, he just can't cut a good promo and he's been really annoying me. He just kind of sucks. The best thing they ever did with him was the Kane/X-Pac pairing. The resulting X-Kane Powers Explode feud has been nothing short of terrible with the exception of Paul Bearer's return.

WWE strapping a rocket onto Rocky's ass was the best idea they ever had.

Oh yeah and speaking of Foley, Rock and Sock, man. WWE never shuts up about it and for good reason: it was fucking hilarious. Rock and Mankind play off of each other so well and the segments they made for them were consistently the best thing on the show. The "this is your life" segment is overrated though, goes on too long. It was basically just a short little thing for Rock and Foley to do to fill time but it was so much fun.

Crash was great

I say trips heel work was great. He was just not up to par with rock or stone cold as champ at the time. I think even Big show had a bit more cred until they buried him after his run early 2000

I know briscoe is hardcore champ but i didnt know that match was coming up. My god. It has chomo pat patterson written all over it

Attached: 29B42849-282E-4E96-98A0-C712DBB14500.jpg (303x184, 50K)

>I know Vader can be great but I remember nothing of Attitude Era Vader other than him being a fat piece of shit
OP, if you want to see Vader being great and you're watching on the network anyway, take a break from HHH's first of many boring reigns of terror and go watch wcw Halloween Havoc (1994 I think?). It features vader and cactus Jack in a Texas Deathmatch. It's some of the best work I think both guys have done. The two literally beat the ever loving shit out of each other. Mick told Vader to throw stiff shots at him for the whole match, and he would return with stiff shots of his own. Seriously, fuck this flippy dippy dick flips and hand grenade garbage, this is one of the GOAT Mick Foley matches of all time and honestly a personal favorite match of anyone of all time. It's fucking great.

I think I did watch that match a year or so ago but maybe I'll check it out again for the sake of it. And for the record this is Haitch's third reign of terror
>lost the first one to Vince on SmackDown! (that happened)
>lost the second one to Big Slow
>now on his third reign

Also, out of curiosity.. OP’s thoughts on
>the Marc Mero/Sable storyline
>Brawl For All
>DX comedy segments in 1998
>The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust
>Nation of Domination
>the gang wars bullshit in 1997
>the corporation and when they started to overstay their welcome
>the ministey of darkness angle

Unironically if you wanted work rate matches its always better on those weird spin off shows like sunday night heat, shotgun saturday or metal.

2002-2003 SmackDown is supposedly wrestling Valhalla, so I'd keep going until then

*whisper*
2009 smackdown was very based too

I refer to it as his first reign because it's when he takes up the vast majority of tv time. Vs Vinny mac and big show weren't near as bad as it was with the rock. And that feud stretched out WAYYYYYYY too long because anyone else that was main event caliber was going to be injured for a long time.
>Undertaker
Written off tv by simply saying 'fuck it' and walking away from a world title match for no real reason. Won't be seen for about 9 months (I think he needed back surgery or something irl)
>Stone cold
Written off tv by getting run over out of nowhere. Only real info you get is random vignettes saying Austin was coming back 'eventually'. With nothing else but that
>Mick Foley
Retiring
>Kane
I forget what he got written off tv for but he was gone for months too
>Jericho
Not main event level yet (although there's a surprise between Jericho and HHH in the buildup to backlash 2000. I'll let you get there though.)
>Kurt angle
Not main event level yet. Had just fucking debuted for Christ's sake
>Rikishi
I fucking love rikishi to death. this is a shoot, rikishi will always be one of my favorites of all time. But he is not a main eventer. There should never be a storyline where he's in the title picture, but we will eventually get 2 and a heel run. Which, a born again Christian and irl one of the nicest people you'll ever meet plus a really safe worker in ring makes for an absolutely god awful, completely unbelievable heel. It's a shame WWE literally kills any credibility for rikishi by turning him heel and that whole storyline made me really sad.

Other than that, there was really no one else to challenge for the title.

I mean they could've done an angle where a heel champ picks on Rikishi because they think that he's an easy win and give him a program from that, but instead let's turn our dancing fool heel

Also HHH has an iron Man match with the rock in a few months from where you're at in the storyline and I'm quite curious to see what you think of it. I see it get praised quite a bit on the internet and people saying it's like what Bret vs Shawn Michaels' iron Man match should have been but I'm going to be completely honest.
It's boring as all hell. Pretty much every match between the rock and HHH is an absolute snoozefest and next to impossible to watch. But that's just me.

>>the Marc Mero/Sable storyline
It worked for what it was. It was obvious but it still succeeded in getting Sable over. And over she was. Sable actually wasn't that bad but I'm not exactly sad that she's gone now.
>>Brawl For All
Fucking stupid and pointless
>>DX comedy segments in 1998
Couldn't tell you most of them off the top of my head but I remember most face DX stuff being amusing
>>The Artist Formerly Known as Goldust
Fucking stupid and pointless, again. I don't think even they knew what to do with Goldust for the entire time I was watching. Don't think he did anything good the entire time. But that's bad writing not really his fault.
>>Nation of Domination
Honestly I liked them. My favorite Faarooq is the current APA version, but he was a good leader for that faction. Kama became Godfather thanks to it and I gotta love anything where D'Lo gets to shine. It was better with Rock as part of it, that was so much fun watching Rock really become The Rock. He was great in the Nation. The first version with the rappers in it was less interesting.
>>the gang wars bullshit in 1997
DoA and Los Boricuas were a joke. Weirdly large amount of stables at that time, I suspect they thought stables were the hot new thing thanks to nWo.
>>the corporation and when they started to overstay their welcome
Never really liked "evil authority figure runs evil stable" in general. Vince was starting to feel played out by ehhh mid 99 or something. Guess I don't really remember a ton about it because early '99 all sort of blends together in my head. Anything involving Big Boss Man has problems
>>the ministey of darkness angle
Personally I never liked it. Clashed horribly with everything else that was going on, Undertaker was just not working by '99 in my opinion, and there were a bunch of who gives a fuck guys like Viscera and Mideon. I actually liked heel Shane vs. face Vince, it felt fresh for the time, brief as it was

If he stayed in the midcard, rikishi would have been fucking perfect. 2 cool was over as fuck for a very long time. Especially when they could get other faces to dance after matches too.

Goldust past 97 was pointless. But 96-97 Goldust fulfilled his role. That's why i said give 1996 a chance. It had lots of great characters and also the Taker/mankind feud really started that year

>I fucking love rikishi to death. this is a shoot, rikishi will always be one of my favorites of all time. But he is not a main eventer. There should never be a storyline where he's in the title picture, but we will eventually get 2 and a heel run. Which, a born again Christian and irl one of the nicest people you'll ever meet plus a really safe worker in ring makes for an absolutely god awful, completely unbelievable heel. It's a shame WWE literally kills any credibility for rikishi by turning him heel and that whole storyline made me really sad.
I like Keesh, he's actually better than you'd probably expect him to be and the gimmick works for him. Haven't gotten to Bad Man Rikishi yet but I dread it.
>Pretty much every match between the rock and HHH is an absolute snoozefest and next to impossible to watch. But that's just me.
Haven't gotten to any of them yet so I guess I'll have to see. You're saying the next like six months is Rock/Haitch, though? Wonder how this will turn out. Rock has been suspiciously absent from the WWF Championship scene until Royal Rumble, felt stupid to me since Rock should logically have been Champion throughout the later months of 1999 as Haitch just wasn't working and it was obvious.

its kinda insane Rock spent the majority of 1999 just goofing around in the midcard.

>That's why i said give 1996 a chance.
I don't know if I can go back now, I'd rather just keep trucking. Maybe I'll go back and watch the best PPVs of 1996 or something just to get a taste.

His shoot comments about it were hilarious tho

Actually those are sometimes a blessing. You can do shit you can't as the main attraction. Just like how 97 Austin had his best promo year and once he became the face it was more restricted

What were they?

*AHEM*

This is a Savio Vega appreciation post

*you can now return to your scheduled thread*

Attached: attitude-era-legend-savio-vega-to-appear-for-mlw.jpg (480x480, 34K)

So it's pretty much exclusively HHH and rock from the raw after no way out and beyond. It finally gets more interesting once you get past judgement day and taker and Kane come back.
If i remember correctly, rock was supposed to win the Royal rumble but they botched the finish and big show improvised to put himself in the main event. I think they also wanted to give Foley a retirement match to be a headliner for mania so you're going to get an overbooked main event that (again, my opinion, you might think differently) completely fails to meet expectations. Big show can't really hang with the rest of the guys which is why he'll eventually get written off tv to get sent back to ovw I think to get back in shape and bring some excitement back to the ring.
Foley is pretty much only there to send the fans home happy that Foley gets to retire main eventing mania and he doesn't really get to do much in the match. Also the wrong person wins and all 4 McMahon's are involved which makes this shit even more weird and overbooked.
Idk, I'm sorry to spoil so much for you but this was really hard to watch for a while man, I'm gonna be honest.

My plan was to keep watching up until mania 17 then start watching wcw from the Vince russo days.

Everyone knows about the whole McMahon in every corner thing and how much of a clusterfuck WM2000 is in general, believe me, I'm mentally prepared for it

The leadup to Backlash is the best month of tv i still cri eritime

Attached: a38.jpg (1024x962, 67K)

It's funny to me how the big show goes from main eventer to comedy jobber to written off tv entirely and buried by Shane McMahon in the span of like 2 months.

year 2000 of course forgive me frens

D Lo was Russo guy. After Russo left in October 1999, they booked him like shit

Makes you wonder what the point of the fatal 4 way at Wrestlemania was. All they had to do was push the schedule back a month and you had a near perfect way to end your greatest show of the year.

like a post earlier said they had to recon that royal rumble ending so i guess a triple h vs rock vs big show was kinda fucking random and since its already a 3 way why not just put mick foley in it since who cares he was still silly over the pops he was getting. But Triple H winning was pure Paul, up till then no WM ever had a heel won the main event.

hey man are you me? I'm behind you (I'm at september 1997) because I'm also watching Mid-south wrestling, because I'm planning to watch all the territories as well.
Brett heel is GOAT. truly
Austin is incredible, and I don't uderstand when people begun chanting Die rocky die. I've watched is heel turn with the Nation, but by that he wasn't around for MONTHS. did people just hated him instantly because they saw the obvious push?
also, what do you think about the Nation of Domination in general? I think they're great.
what are you planning to do after AE? I think I'll skip the invasion year, then I'll watch RA. then I think I'll watch some Super Cena years because WWE got Benoited in my country during those years. After that, I think I'll watch the Daniel Bryan push and that's it. What about you?

>>But Triple H winning was pure Paul, up till then no WM ever had a heel won the main event.
>no Foley winning in a feel good moment then vacating the title the next night with a tear in his eye, finally ready to retire for real
Fuck Paul

holy fucking based mid south chad!

t. stopped at 1982 and haven't had the time to catch up :(

Ministry was fucking based. There should be more shenannigans like that in wrestling today.

>Foley wins title
>happy ending to WM
>next night Triple H demands a title shot because he didn't lost fair and square 1 on 1
>beats Foley since what the hell you already beaten him twice why not beat him again but at least Foley got to win at mania and put over gaytch once last time to stroke his ego again since he's fucking off
>proceed as planned with backlash

damn i just headcanon a totally viable 24 hr period that resulted in a win-win situation. based me!

Im watching 1982 right now, it's fucking based. JYD is great and DiBiase are the best in the company. I suggest you to keep watching it.

>XWT
>can't seed back

not that guy, but Lucha underground is the reason I'm back here too.

Dibiase is a whole different wrestler from wwf. Very technical and grapply, just how i like my rasslin! Also huge fan of Mr Olympia, inb4 flippy shit but fuck you he based :)

Why not both?
>Foley wins title in happy ending to WM
>comes out on Raw celebrating, gives heartfelt speech, says he's going to vacate the title now that he's fulfilled his life dream
>ONE TWO, THIS ON?
>Trips comes out "HOLD ON THERE FOLEY, YOU'RE NOT GETTING AWAY THAT EASY!"
>says tonight it's going to be Trips/Foley once and for all since Trips wasn't pinned
>Trips wins clean in the middle
>grabs mic "I'M NOT LETTING YOU RETIRE WILLINGLY... YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO COME BACK AFTER WHAT I DO TO YOU RIGHT NOW!"
>for good measure fucking destroys Foley's leg or something with any manner of objects
>JR sells on commentary that Trips is heinous, vile, disgusting, cruel
>have anyone who could have conceivably help Foley attacked and sent to the hospital earlier in the night to explain why nobody helped Foley
>Trips looks like the ruthless, cold hearted murderer they keep saying he is without showing it
>Foley gets his feel good moment and goes out on his back getting Trips over for one last time

10/10 would watch.
11/10 if you included Linda who had ties with Foley for bringing him back and have Stephanie talked shit about her mom which builds up to Linda slapping her a few weeks later like in the actual canon

One of the best threads for a while op.

>Mr Olympia
I'd like to see him talking desu.

i don't think he will and he is also kinda sporadically used as compared to the others

I thought d lo admitted in a shoot interview that he just wasn't the same after doing what he did to droz? He and godfather made a kino tag team too. I'll admit, I popped every time I saw d lo come out with the ho train.

imagine thinking this butterface tranny looking thing is attractive

That 5 year period from WM13 - WM18 will never be replicated

98 was very coherent and well booked with good matches and sensible title changes in the main event. Don't remember what happened in the midcard that stuff doesn't matter.

>Speaking on that, I will say that writing overall has felt more logical as of late, which things usually happening for a reason, titles feeling more important/being used at all, storylines progressing in a logical manner while also keeping surprises going, etc
Entirely because of Chris Kresski who was an actual writer who used storyboards to have things make sense.

Then they mocked him for using storyboards and replaced him with Stephanie and the show has been unwatchable shit for the next 20 years after that.

I dont know why Kreski is some type of cult hero in IWC when its documented that there were several other writers including Tommy Blacha and Brian Gewirtz who contributed a lot to Edge & Christian stuff for example

2000-2001 WWE was so bad it chased me away for over 10 years. You have that to look forward to I guess.

>Also, I've kinda been doing the same thing you're doing except I started at the raw right after the Montreal screwjob.
You missed like the best six months they ever had.

I'm sure I did, but I'm fully invested in the storyline involving HHH, the rock, taker, and Kane and the corporation falling apart at the seams. If HHH has me bored to tears again, I'll probably start watching the raws from post kotr 96 on

2001 had some good stuff, I remember Jericho and Benoit killing it at that time

Because he was the head writer during the best time they had and the quality instantly nosedived after him?

Same here, every couple years I would give it another shot and they'd have some unrecognizable garbage that would push me away for another couple years.

>>Chyna sucks

I've also watched this entire run in sequence, and I think Chyna was awesome.

Based Benoit foreshadowing his future.

she was with the Hardyz, she's supposed to look like a ecstasy using club slut

>2000
>best time

Nah

I'm thinking of doing another WWE run myself. Starting around 1996 or so. Should it be around the Royal Rumble, Wrestlemania, or King of the Ring?

I'd always try at the Rumble. I love the Rumble. I'd watch it and then the next 2 weeks of TV and then quit again until next year. I think I finally came back on in 2015. Starting to lose interest again. Just cancelled my network subscription.

Probably kotr so you can skip the Ted dibiase stone cold days for the most part. Also you get to see the last days of Bryan pillman. I fucking miss pillman so much bros

I'll binge watch PPV's for an entire year. It's easier when they only have 4-6 for the year. Start back in 1988

good posts, thanks.

D'Lo Brown was lowkey, the workhorse of 1998/1999/2000. Especially on Heat & Jakked/Metal.

If we going all the way back to 1988, we may as well go back to 1985.

I tried to watch Wrestlemania 2 once, dreadful experience.

Yeah the Droz injury clearly fucked D'lo up in the head. He was never really the same after it. Shame, he was damn solid.

DLo becomes first ever Eurocontinental champ

streamable.com/b36ty

It's a gauntlet match, basically a "luck of the draw" match, used to get sympathy for the faces who fight early on.

I was saying 88 because I think that was the first year we had all of the Big 4 PPV's. Could be wrong though.

Hey OP, what rank do you see HHH as? I always saw him as a #6 guy behind Austin, Rock, Vince, Foley and Taker. Also, how often does HBK appear? I’m same age as you. I don’t remember him popping up so often.

Royal Rumble 96, IYH Feb 96, WM XII, IYH May 96 and it's Free PPV followup, IYH Sept 96, IYH Oct 96, & SvS 96 are the best ones of the year.
KotR 96 is awful and only noteworthy because Austin

Not OP but I would consider him #6 in 1999, #2 in 2000, and #3 in 2001.

God Dammit, he was fucking great. The potential to move as at LEAST challenger for the World Title was right fucking there.

No love for Nitro? 95 had some decent stuff if you look past the Dungeon of Doom shit in the main event.

On the downlow, King Iukea & Kevin Sullivan are the reason nWo happened.

Good stuff OP - it’s amazing how badly they botched Big Show when he first debuted prior to Wrestlemania 15 in early 1999. Should have been a monster heel /final boss type and they could have built towards Austin vs Show at Summerslam or something. And Foley is the man.