Nagoya

Sumo Thread: Cute rikishi edition
Another Hakuho wins basho

Attached: girth masters .jpg (870x720, 321K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cIwfSz36l7s
www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2081004/
sumoforum.net/forums/topic/39003-new-recruits-for-nagoya-2019/?tab=comments#comment-394974
twitch.tv/karla_marxist
youtube.com/watch?v=jIjMuUNyXUw
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_wrestling
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolians_in_Japan#Sumo_wrestlers
youtube.com/watch?v=07ymiCmK0d8
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/懸賞_(相撲)
sumoforum.net/forums/topic/39086-kensho-nagoya-2019/
www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/sumopedia/
www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/sumopedia/32/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_sumo_terms
sumoforum.net/glossary.html
chijanofuji.com/Glossary.html
mainichi.jp/english/articles/20181126/p2a/00m/0sp/018000c
youtube.com/channel/UCe5bUVd4IZ6z80to7yvB6ww
twitch.tv/mbovosumo
www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/
youtube.com/channel/UCzZ8v5JF3IyxLWOCGKpcP0g
vk
dailymotion.com/holaabema123
sumoforum.net/forums/forum/4-honbasho-talk/
www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/tournament/201907/day8.html
youtube.com/watch?v=E42HcN_I5t4
ameblo.jp/ami-nishiki/
www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/wrestlers/
sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/torikumi/1/11/
youtube.com/watch?v=uE8rtw5yO20
youtube.com/watch?v=LoJE3xxBSJ8
youtube.com/watch?v=P7rRT3vAL3U
youtube.com/watch?v=eAJ27fUhzk4
cibersumo.com/en/sumo/history-and-data/press-room-news
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_in_sumo#Aki_basho
youtu.be/QBNgVcejTWA
youtu.be/UYe49wS7j70
youtu.be/G7x_OwAKXXs
streamable.com/9ketg
helpster.de/gewicht-von-einem-bierkasten-informatives_195554
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Are you such a n00b you don't know how to link your thread to the old one? Or are you just dumb?

안녕하세요

>thinking a based korean gives a ssibal about linking the old thread
ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ ㅋ

He cute

배고파

Juryo leaderboard is packed; very important day tomorrow for guys looking for a promotion, especially considering that both J1 are underperforming

8 more basho until sumo is left with no yokozuna once again

Sure?

Attached: 1562926308558.jpg (1080x1342, 556K)

>1 month to heal.
Each.

Can't decide on Takayasu tbqh mates.
There's something weird about him, something offputting, when he's on the dohyo, but off it he looks like a proper lad. Very strange.

>most recently in 2017 after Kisenosato was promoted
The name rings a bell, but I have no recollection of the guy.

Why are rikishi whose names begin with Chiyo always the cutest

except chiyoshoma

Attached: Bj8wt40CAAAOmKT.jpg (600x450, 36K)

Probably because you're a giant faggot? Fuck off to with your cancer.

Attached: kermit4.jpg (387x398, 20K)

Chill friend, sumo is comfy territory

Attached: sleeping chiyomaru.webm (720x1280, 2.3M)

If he were an American, he would have probably chimped out like the niggers.

>foreign cancer whiteknighting for faggotry
Every time.

Attached: ...,.....,....jpg (323x646, 46K)

What's it like to cuddle a sumo wrestler?

Attached: sumo.webm (480x852, 1.5M)

like swimming in fat

nice start for 18yo Tochikamiyama

Attached: Tochikamiyama.png (633x495, 24K)

Attached: Tochikamiyama.jpg (577x431, 57K)

he's approaching 18-1

>Henka

chokeido is out of the tournament

good riddance

Ah yes, Sunday morning watching the sumo.

Imagine if Hak and Kak both go undefeated and have to square off at the end of the bahso over the perfect record

would be so fucking kino

Okay, that'd be pretty epic.

Noooo Enho lost :(

the little faggit finally faces reality.

If takayasu chokes against tamawashi i am going to have an autistic fit

they are tied 12-12, it's hard to predict

But tamawashi is absolute dogshit this tournament so there is really no excuse for takayasu whos been on a decently hot streak

takayasu looked like he hurt his arm

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

KACHI KOSHI

what a fucking chad.

Fucking Tamawashi and his damn kotenage

Enho is a meme

Attached: 1562951665277.jpg (599x512, 37K)

Sumo threads here?
I AM IN

Attached: CuteBankGirl.webm (1278x720, 442K)

also there is some channels on youtube that show the fights live via AbemaTV feed and others that post the full fights with english info on it

youtube.com/watch?v=cIwfSz36l7s

My guy kaisei has entered cancer mode once again. Expect him to come back from juryo after the next one. Either that or hes done for good

NHK World also shows the match highlights for free, with thier english play-by-play guys

www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/ondemand/video/2081004/

>Tamawashi breaks another arm
I hate this episode

Sad day for Flips.

Takayasu Injured
Kotokuzan Lost
Ichinojo Lost

At least Mitakeumi won.

Just do uwatenage instead of kotenage you scummy steppenigger

im kinda sad about it too cause he looks so downrod when he loses. like a big kid just trying to do his best in a tough world, but then real life hits him with 170kgs of man meat

>all ozeki OUT
>all but one facing kado-ban next tournament
L M A O
M
A
O

Even Takayasu is kadoban if he's out for the entire rest of the tournament. He needs to get one more win on a fucked arm in order to keep that from happening. Hope he just pulls a Goeido and henkas Shodai tomorrow.

>the absolute voivodeship of ozekis right now

is it confirmed he pulled? i saw that the decision would be made in the morning

Looks like the Ozeki are all out.

Attached: Unbenannt.png (594x409, 45K)

If I was him, and seeing how other ozekis fare, I'd take a few days off (and by a few I mean all 7) and only come back for the final day to try getting that 8th win thus minimising the risk.
If it's at all possible, that is.

Problem with that is coming back on the very last day means facing the second or third toughest competition possible, which means probably Mitakeumi (who's looked ozeki-quality so far) or one of the yokozuna, barring further injuries or surprise upsets. It'd be more reasonable for him to shove his arm in a sleeve and try to grit out another win now.

I reckon if it's not as bad as to outright drop out, he might want to keep going, which would increase the risk of worsening the injury, fighting with equal-level rikishi aware of his arm and wanting to capitalize on it.
But yeah, if he's meant to face the toughest by the end it might not be wise to continue at all. I mean, even if I'm not on his bandwagon, the last thing I'd want is to see no ozekis participate.

I wonder when Kaisei quits.
2 bashos ago he had a yokozuna-sumo, and now he totally fucked up.
I hear them saying his shoulder is kaputt.
Would he end up a division below if he sets out?

He's pretty much guaranteed to go to juryo regardless unless he somehow manages to pull off a miracle and wins out for the remainder. He may as well sit out.

Kagayaki's breasts are hypnotic, I honestly find it challenging to watch his fights because of it.

Attached: cats.jpg (584x907, 98K)

faggit!

I don't remember a very rude German in previous sumo threads, but I'd like to remind you these are comfy threads. Please be nice!

Attached: hot baths.jpg (675x1200, 102K)

There was an angry Germany in the last thread, not sure what his problem is.

Attached: 1557683915190.png (732x967, 1.29M)

>tamawashi is absolute dogshit this tournament
He's got to be injured or some shit, because his performance has been a steaming pile all basho.

Keep it cool, Tochi!

Attached: comfy.jpg (900x1200, 150K)

>Kagayaki's breasts are hypnotic
Fuck off to with your homo cancer.

is the 1st guy the salt-guy?

This, sumo is a family man's sport, take the fag shit elsewhere

hakuho looked like he hurt his right arm too if you look closely

do flips like ichinojo or something?

it honestly looks like he's throwing matches

We probably all have it covered on the links but welcome, friendo. We have sumo threads regularly every basho.

It does, doesn't it. Even this last match with Takayasu made me wonder wtf happened. On the replay it looks like he lost his balance, but live it looked like he just did a breakfall for no real reason.

Keep it cool, Tochi!

Attached: tochi.png (750x399, 549K)

I think he's been nursing it all basho. I don't know, it just seems likes he's been fighting defensive sumo, but I could be wrong.

Attached: Hakuho.jpg (1280x720, 169K)

Hakuho hurt his right arm four months ago if you look closely

dat Bariki...

sumoforum.net/forums/topic/39003-new-recruits-for-nagoya-2019/?tab=comments#comment-394974

Attached: 1562043182005.jpg (1108x1478, 217K)

Hokutenkai looks like the only one of the lot who will make it past Jonidan. Bariki looks like a robot programmed to imitate sumo.

going to try to do walkup tickets on probably Wednesday. anyone know anything about them?
think you right. haven't went to check, but hes done the push/pulldown technique for atleast 3 marches
hopefully he stays in since his tech seems on point, but i doubt he can win the basho with how the yokozuna are doing

>going to try to do walkup tickets on probably Wednesday. anyone know anything about them?
Be in line at sunrise or you're getting jackshit.

Tamawashi is really good at crippling people

thats what i heard. im in osaka so im not sure iff ill make it in time. tickets disappear quick, and i dont know enough to verify a source

>bro just don't get caught in it bro
He's lucky he's too much of a shitter to make ozeki, otherwise he'd get crucified for that shit

twitch.tv/karla_marxist
stream up

fuck that guy

I was watching the takayasu/tamawashi match and the way tama fell was very suspicious. It didn’t even looked like a slip,his knee just buckled without taka forcing anything. In fact taka was going in a different direction then tama just drop down.

I think during the match, when tama heard or felt taka’s elbow hyper extend he thought “oh shit, the old dudes gonna lecture me again” and just conceded.

No, watch it in slow motion. He sets his right foot down on its toes by accident and that sets his weight off when he tries to launch himself again with that leg. You can see it sort of bounce as he falls.

Some of these yobidashi should NOT be doing intro's, but should stick to sweeping. I'm talking about you old balding dude in white kimono thing.

Seppuku is only honorable option imo.

>Some of these yobidashi should NOT be doing intro's
Maybe you shouldnt be allowed to post here

Whats with the old guy who got injured on the 1st days somewhere?

HAKUHO DOWN

I REPEAT

HAKUHO DOWN

Ichinojo kinboshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!1

HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL HakuhoLosesLOL

TAKAYASU LOSES FUCKING ARM-PULLING STEPPENIGGER

reeee it was supossed to be Takayasu's basho!

Tamawashi literally is the rikishi assassin lol

Hakuho looked affected by his arm today but he gets what he deserves by being stubborn and meeting The Blob head on

thats pretty much it. hes fought him straight up before and won, but its never an easy win and its iver if he doesn't stand him up. literally no reason to fight him that way

i make some koshien threads as well
generally Spring Koshien happens during spring basho, idk about the summer basho tho

>Kaisei lost 8 and won only 1
its sad the only hue on sumo world going bad

Attached: mama i dont want to go.png (784x781, 401K)

Yup

Ichinojo is awake. There's your next yokozuna.

nah, kak probably will take note from the goats match and take an easy win
kaisei freindship is over, now aoiyama is your fat gringo friendo now

>steals Hakuho's bento

Attached: snorlax.png (587x582, 742K)

>aoiyama
he is not brazilian he is from Bugaria

ICHINOJO CHADS WAKE UP

Attached: WAKE UP.gif (240x138, 87K)

yes, and? you going to go for some filthy mongolian? i don't know if you have someone in a lower tier you could switch to

i still dont know how much mangolians got onto sumo after all
why it happened?

youtube.com/watch?v=jIjMuUNyXUw

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolian_wrestling

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongolians_in_Japan#Sumo_wrestlers

Mongolia is poor as fuck and has its own folk wrestling

youtube.com/watch?v=07ymiCmK0d8

Attached: asa.jpg (640x360, 47K)

Takayasu looked awful. He wasn't even using his left hand. Shame really with Hak not doing great and Kak not that dominant against Takayasu plus absent ozeki I think he had his best chance since last november.
If he can't win against struggling Meisei tomorrow I think he'd better go kyujo.
Also fuck the janni

That's what I've been saying.
The injury looked pretty bad and today's bout only confirms it. He literally didn't want to use his left hand and his opponent broke free thru his left side. He should be resting, healing the injury (even if it meant kado-ban next time), but he will be trying to get that 8th win and worsen it like the honorabu rikishi he is.

Also, was there a tournament where all ozekis were kado-ban at the same time? Wouldn't that be something.

Oh and Enho looked pretty good today.
Always nice to see him win and he tends to do just that when not going so low and the tachi-ai.

Fat man negated Hakuho perfectly. This win was no fluke. Congratulations.

>Also, was there a tournament where all ozekis were kado-ban at the same time? Wouldn't that be something
No idea
You can query the sumodb but I have no idea how and I'm too lazy to figure it out right now

Someone seems to hate Ichi really badly-

Attached: Unbenannt.png (596x556, 57K)

>hate
I don't see it; there is a "kinboshi!" with an exclamation mark; the complain about few envelopes is legit too; Mita bouts get lot of envelopes, maybe is a sign...

Chris Gould referenced envelopes leading up to Nagoya, Mitakeumi had the most envelope applications with 150~. Takakeisho had somewhere similar, Takayasu had 130~. Both yokozuna didn't get all that many.

iirc the envelopes are arranged before basho

nobody likes Mongolians

>iirc the envelopes are arranged before basho

Well, thats kinda obvious. The envelopes come from the sponsors, who carrying those curious flags around the ring. So, being a sponsor, you probably know which bout you will sponsor a day.
But what makes me curious, whenever Ichi wins, he gets nearly no envelops, and when he loses, the opponent suddenly gets one.
And today: beating a yokozuna and gets only a few.
Seriously? The yokozunas left always with shitload of envelopes ...

maybe it's just normal for a Monday; also, sponsoring too much one guy will get the opponent more interested in beating him, so...

besides, iirc NHK don't show the flags up close, while Abema don't mind to do it; if I were a sponsor I'd prefer to see my name on one of those kesho-mawashi during the ring entering ceremony, and possibly get associated with someone loved by the crowd, like Enho and Endo; trying to sponsor "the winner" before the tournament even started could backfire; maybe Ichi-Hakuho was "scary" to be sponsored? mmmh...

>maybe Ichi-Hakuho was "scary" to be sponsored?

Why? It was the match of the day.

what if they just sponsor more when a Japanese has a chance to beat the Mongolians, as an encouragement? oh well, maybe we're looking too much into it

>envelopes
What are those envelopes exactly?
are sponsor stuffs?

kinda price-money from the sponsors.

money yes, they are called "kensho"
translate this page:
ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/懸賞_(相撲)

here they report how many have been collected so far:

sumoforum.net/forums/topic/39086-kensho-nagoya-2019/

149: Kakuryu
126: Hakuho
78: Mitakeumi
75: Takayasu

Ever seen a bunch of banners paraded around the ring before a match? Those are all sponsors, who put money down on the matches of individual wrestlers. Whoever wins the match gets the total prize money for that match, which is what's in the envelopes.

Attached: DSC03789[1].jpg (1600x1067, 488K)

Less money for a match between two Mongols makes perfect sense to me. I mean look at the decline in interest in general as the Japanese have become less relevant

I don't understand why Takayasu came back. He made a good showing of fighting with one arm in the bout, but there was no way he was going to properly win and he obviously hurt his arm worse on the way down. Whether or not the oyakata understand the risks, shouldn't the rikishi themselves know what they're going into?

>I don't understand why Takayasu came back
Because all he needs is one more win to avoid being kadoban, I wasn't surprised. Dude should just henka the next match though, but Meisei's been garbage this tournament so far so hopefully he gets the win regardless.

>I don't understand why Takayasu came back.

because he is a sumo wrestler and not a PUSSY!

also watch Sumopedia episode #39 - Ceremonial Hand Gestures:

www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/sumopedia/

Attached: sumopedia 39.jpg (639x396, 72K)

Thanks for info based guys, those infos are really good

i dont know even how to pay back all this help, if you guys need learn sometthing about baseball or Koshien, i will be free to teach all itt

also thanks to show this series, i had seem an similar about japanese sportts in general but i had no idea tthat had one about all sumo stuffs

Attached: OK.jpg (1280x720, 73K)

Takayasubros it's over

Attached: IMG_20190524_184015.jpg (1516x1080, 244K)

>Also, was there a tournament where all ozekis were kado-ban at the same time? Wouldn't that be something.
In May last year both ozeki Takayasu (injury) and Goeido (shit) had losing records so they were kadoban for July, but July was also Tochinoshin's debut as an ozeki. Same thing happened in January of 1980 where the only ozeki Takanohana put up a 7-8, but the next tournament when he was kadoban he was joined by the debuting Masuiyama. Those are the only two instances of every ozeki putting up a losing record in the same tournament since the kadoban system was introduced in 1969. If Takayasu does not somehow get just one more win this tournament, then next tournament will be the first time ever that every ozeki will be kadoban.

more info?

are we looking at an awakened Snorlax?

Attached: maxresdefault.png (1280x720, 835K)

>people got so mad that they throw stuff onto the fighting circle

This happened more times recently or 2003 one was the last one?

www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/sumopedia/32/

Attached: Sumo Crowd Mad.webm (1280x720, 2.59M)

Throwing the seat cushions is a time-honored tradition for what's considered an upset victory, especially for a maegashira beating a yokozuna. Technically it's not supposed to be allowed, but the fans do it anyway. It's out of celebration, not anger. Hell, it's even happened in Japanese pro wrestling sometimes.

Where would be the best place to learn the basics of sumo so I can read this thread without asking a million questions like an irritating faggot? And what time do the matches start each day?

ah, is that i watched some ttimes japanese angry throwing stuff due sports results, i had no idea that it was beacuse they were celebrating

sent it to me, its an good series and videos are like 2/3 mins each

The actual basics of sumo are simple as fuck: two dudes plow into each other and the first one to either touch outside the ring area or touch the ground with anything but the soles of the feet loses. Illegal moves are mostly self-explanatory like closed-fist punches, shots to the groin, and pulling the hair, but stuff like palm strikes and elbow strikes are allowed. Six tournaments per year consisting of 15 matches per wrestler (7 on alternating days for anyone below the second division). Win 8 or more and you go up in rank, win 7 or less and you go down. Most of the complicated stuff is all ritual.

after the already mentioned Sumopedia, glossaries are really useful:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_sumo_terms

sumoforum.net/glossary.html

chijanofuji.com/Glossary.html

and then for winning techniques (kimarite) there are plenty of videos

Attached: shitatenage.gif (276x256, 17K)

>that fucking Enhyo vs. Takagenji match
I did not expect that.
>Hakuho loses
Now THAT, I expected.....not to Ichi, though.
>Takayasu
Fucked. He just needs 1 win for Cash n cozy though.

ok an last question
]what happens if an Yokozuna lost 9 straight? they lose the Yokozuna status or?

Officially a yokozuna can't be demoted, but if they're looking like they're going to get a losing record there will be pressure on them to retire. This is why yokozuna withdraw due to injury often. That and the simple fact that yokozuna is the absolute pinnacle they can reach and often comes after years of top level performances in a full combat sport which will cause enough wear and tear to give them any reason to withdraw they need.

also the Japan Sumo Association can issue "encouragement" notices in case of bad performances, like they did with Kisenosato; that's the first of the 3 types of notices: the second is an official warning, and the 3rd and most severe is the order to retire

mainichi.jp/english/articles/20181126/p2a/00m/0sp/018000c

Where do you guys watch, is there an English stream of the tournament, or at least a stream with names in English?

You can find the matches usually posted the day after somewhere on youtube. NHK does a grand sumo highlight show they release afte the matches that's in English too. Just search on jewtube.

live will be here in about 7 or 8 hours from now:

youtube.com/channel/UCe5bUVd4IZ6z80to7yvB6ww

twitch.tv/mbovosumo

highlights in English (see Tv schedule):

highlights in Japanese:

youtube.com/channel/UCzZ8v5JF3IyxLWOCGKpcP0g

other videos:

vk
dot
com/videos539040432

dailymotion.com/holaabema123

see also the various threads at sumoforum.net/forums/forum/4-honbasho-talk/

also highlights in English of previous days:

www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/tournament/201907/day8.html

see list on the right

Thanks for info, it should be linked on as well

also i checked and Summer Koshien wont clash with next sumo tournament since the next sumo is in setember (Summer Koshien is in August) so it will be easy to follow the end of this one and the next other full

>If Takayasu does not somehow get just one more win this tournament, then next tournament will be the first time ever that every ozeki will be kadoban.
One can only hope.

Is today's nhk highlight audio fucked up?

It's been fucked up all basho, hasn't it?

he just needs to get one more win to secure his overall winning record for this tournament, then he'll withdraw

if he ends the tournament with only 7 wins, then in the next one he'll be kadoban, which means he must win at least 8 to keep his ozeki rank or else he gets demoted

More importantly for an injury like that, getting an 8th win means he can take off the rest of this tournament and skip the next tournament to heal without losing his rank, he'd just be kadoban in November.

Thank you for your service Aminishiki may you enjoy retired life ;___;

Good call. Dude's 40 and has elder stock.

is NHK world the only place I can get sumo? verizon is ripping me off just to watch sumo and a few history series.

I don't know, but the north judge just got taken out by a flying rikishi during a sandanme bout.

>sandanme
probably not even heavy enough to hurt

people post the abemaTV and sumo federation feeds on web
youtube.com/watch?v=E42HcN_I5t4

>people post the abemaTV and sumo federation feeds on web
What?

abematv is an WebTV service that exists on Japan, they broadcast all bachos

I mean, what was the sense of this sentence:
>people post the abemaTV and sumo federation feeds on web

???

People (what people?) post the abemaTV (link to something ???) and (new statemant?) sumo federation feeds (streams?) on web (???)

very confusing, but ok, ... monkeyland ...

i thogout was clear but its ok
i feel sorry if you dont undestood

Reminder to use NHK instead of Abema because Abema does not show Takayasu's flex!

but Abema shows Takakeisho plop :D ok, not this basho

>sumo federation feeds
NHK is the official broadcaster, see second link in

Abema has internet rights since NHK doesnt broadcasts on web (yet)

but they only broadcast for japan, NHK takes the ccare for the rest of world, but some people put on youtube and Ameba seems not care with it

>NHK is the official broadcaster,

if NHK the official stream, whose stream is what D i is streaming?

the problem with NHK is that they stream for free only few days, the rest you can only see on World Premium (besides they show all fights on an special 30 mins shows)

i forgot to say that people get NHK streams like the ones that get Abema

but NHK tiries to copyright out of people that stole thier signal beacuse MUH PAY TV TAXES

>MUH PAY TV TAXES

Juice entered Japan as well?

Btw, who are the brothers in the top-division?
It is always mentioned there are twins, but couldnt figure out who they are.

they got it from BBC, people in Japan need pay for an annual price if they want watch air-tv

The privated ones get all crazy with NHK about it but NHKseems to not care

Takanofuji and Takagenji are twins, the first is in Juryo

Wakatakamoto, Wakamotoharu and Wakatakakage are brothers

it happened yesterday, lol

Best match of the day:
Kotoshogiku vs Endo

... and Hakuho, holly sheit!
It reminds me to a Chaplin-movie:
gibbe opponent a slap and the opponent flies out of the ring.
He is probably pretty much pissed since Ichinojo.

Attached: Army.jpg (1200x800, 41K)

Takagenji is CUTE

Attached: spo1703290027-p3.jpg (452x600, 24K)

KakuryuWinsLOL

it was narrow.

Is Takakeisho the only one with a chance at yokozuna? Aside from Ichinojo, of course.

Hakuho looking more like Hakuho today. He looks much smarter when he doesn't go for the ego play and try to beat people with their specialty.

Good sumo from him 2bh.

He's livid by Hakuho standards. His slap to the shoulder bullshit is what gets him in trouble with the Sumo Association.

On an unrelated note, Enho is a real crafty manlet. He doesn't struggle against belt specialists but pusher thrusters. As soon as he gets a real good belt grip he's very creative.

Yokozuna wrestlers are typically very good with belt techniques. Even Akebono, the most successful pusher-thruster wrestler, could handle himself decently around the belt. And that's a 6'8 Samoan monster with gangly long arms that heavily outweighed everyone.

Takakeisho is pretty fucking trash at belt training. Like, embarrassingly bad. The only wrestlers right now with good all around potential are Mitakeumi and Takayasu. Goeido doesn't have a Yokozuna mentality and he's pretty old. Tochinoshin can barely hold onto his rank as is.

Down the line, I see Ryuuden doing pretty good for himself, and Yoshikaze's protégé is doing fairly well too.

>Down the line, I see Ryuuden doing pretty good for himself
No way. I doubt he'll ever make sekiwake, let alone ozeki. Also, dude's 29, pretty much hit his ceiling

i think hes trash on the belt cause he can barely grab it and hold on with his short arms just nearly clearing his own gut, let alone past the gut of the other guy

Have we ever seen him win with a belt-exclusive attack? That is to say, win with the belt where he hadn't already pushed his opponent off balance or successfully henka'd at the tachiai.

>His slap to the shoulder bullshit is what gets him in trouble with the Sumo Association.

Why so?

I seem to recall it's because he never loses with it.

not sure, but don't think so.

Takayasu pulling out now that he has his 8 wins is pretty much a given, right?

Attached: comfy.png (595x447, 713K)

common sense would be to do so but sumo doesn't really like common sense all that much

What's the deal with Kaisei, lads? He's big, but looks completely weaksauce, like, no strength in his arms whatsoever. I'm really starting to hate him.

Still believe that Enho goes too low at the start. He got his neck grabbed for the second time today and it's only a matter of time when someone just guillotine-chokes him or something.

Was Endo v Kotoshogiku the best bout this tournament yet? Endo defended himself on the rope twice, managed to switch grip on Koto's pants and still win. Very impressive.

Good effort on Takayasu. Still couldn't use his left arm, but managed to win and can drop out with no regrets now. Hopefully didn't worsen his injury all that much and will be good to go for the next tournament.

Also, what the hell just happened in that last bout? Tamawashi just flew out the dohyo like he forgot where he was lmao. That slap couldn't be all that strong.

Well, considering, that
1) even today he didnt use his left hand
2) had fucking shitload of luck
3) facing mad-man Hakuho tomorrow

I will guess, he would do better he quits tomorrow.

>What's the deal with Kaisei, lads? He's big, but looks completely weaksauce, like, no strength in his arms whatsoever. I'm really starting to hate him.
He's 32 and it's very obvious his right arm is fucked right now, not like Takayasu's but still enough that he has almost no strength in it right now.

>his right arm is fucked right now
Gonna look into it a bit closer, but it seemed to me like he couldn't grab opponent's mawashi with either hand at fucking all. He looks like the only thing he has is his fatness and it's, like, 50 years to late to only have that, innit.

Genuinely considering learning Japanese just to read through Aminishiki's blog.
ameblo.jp/ami-nishiki/

Attached: aminishiki.png (395x528, 491K)

Watch the rest of his bouts this tournament too, his right arm and shoulder have been in very noticeable pain since the start.

>Also, what the hell just happened in that last bout? Tamawashi just flew out the dohyo like he forgot where he was lmao. That slap couldn't be all that strong.
Hakuhou has straight-up knocked out cold other rikishi with his slaps and forearm smashes. If it caught him just right, he could have crumpled to the ground in that second and nobody would have found it all that strange.

He's concussed people with it before. Almost knocked guys out. It's a unique and dangerous way of doing that tachiai. Every other wrestler knows the 'unwritten' rule not to do it. It's literally just him. It's sort of disrespectful.

He's still got some years left in him, and he's 100% healthy with good knees. He was unremarkable a few tournaments ago until he changed something up and now is doing really well at the meat grinder ranks.

Either way, you're probably right. He might not reach it but he's got "Yokozuna-like" techniques

A lot of henka going down in this basho.

You now remember Harumafuji

Attached: 1563293965984.jpg (615x433, 141K)

Why is he in the ghetto?

I would rather ask why the sumo wrestlers care about a brazilian monkey like him. the salt-guy seems to have even few shirts of him.

Slaps your girl, what you do?

Attached: ahaka_l.jpg (818x604, 68K)

Call 0900-ICHI-NOJO

Call my nigga Enho

Whose the smaller dude but he's fucking well built, beastmode traps and arms

>Takayasu: "I will strive to do the best sumo I can for the remaining five days".
going the kisenosato route I see

these guys are absolute madmen
But he was never gonna quit right before a yokozuna match, especially Hakuho, there's too much pride. Expect him to be beat and sit out the remaining days

I bet fucking kisenosato is influencing him to do that against better judgment like a doctor

that shitter is gonna ruin takayasu's career

Yorikiri the fuck out of him

Just got done watching some Asahoryu's old matches. Was early 2000's to 2007 Asashoryu the baddest dude on the planet? I reckon that on his day no man (mma, judo, boxer, wrestler, you name it, champion) could beat him in a no rules/protections/refree fight. The guy was a tank and mean as a motherfucker

Attached: asa.jpg (230x335, 22K)

Ishiura.

>Takayasu withdraws
Good, good. He's got his 8 and can fuck off to recovery now.

Gonna laugh if Kakuryu fucks up and Hakuho wins the basho in a playoff. Granted Takayasu had no hope beating him regardless, but I wonder how many times a basho winner has gotten default wins.

> If a wrestler's mawashi comes off during a tournament bout, he is automatically disqualified.[1] This is extremely rare, but it did occur in May 2000 when sandanme wrestler Asanokiri was embarrassed during a match with Chiyohakuhō.[2]

Any pics of this?

>Fat murrican faggit wants to see fat nude man
why iz I not surprised?

Why is Mitakeumi the guy with the most sponsors? He's not even Japanese

I miss Ura.

Attached: AlienatedBlankHerculesbeetle.webm (1920x1080, 1.29M)

Can anyone give me a quick rundown for a beginner?

OK, Takayasu is out.

Read wikipedia, you stupid piece of shit!

Well who are the main eventers of sumo

www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/wrestlers/

the show just begun:
twitch.tv/mbovosumo

I'm watching, just don't know who to look out for

sumo.or.jp/EnHonbashoMain/torikumi/1/11/

Ahhhh .... Kaisei out as well!

why is this german so assblasted all the time

Because Germans hate stupidity and churkas.

why do germans hate central asians?

because they come to Germany and introduce themselves as 1st class criminals.

man Kak has really soothing voice
huh the more you learn I guess

How good would an Yea Forums mod be at sumo?

Attached: bigboi.png (1190x668, 1.47M)

>huh the more you learn I guess
learning from criminals?

jonidan mainstay

>How good would an Yea Forums mod be at sumo?

Yea Forums mods barley can clean their asses while sumo wrestlers give you a slap and you fly few meters-

Attached: Rückhand Ichi.webm (646x360, 1.22M)

no from the german intellectuals

>no from the german intellectuals
There are no German intellectuals anymore.

KakuryuWinsLOL

Was a pretty good fight.

Sumo seems like a pretty comfy life for the upper ranked guys

The gyoji will usually pause the match in place and adjust any loose mawashi before anything happens.

>The gyoji will usually pause the match in place and adjust any loose mawashi before anything happens.

Last basho were several of such cases in the lower division.

>not using flag filters on Yea Forums whenever possible
Nope.

Indeed. He fought off the initial charge amazingly.

What is Ichinojo thinking in this exact moment?

Attached: d3e872a46ab454844e2662eb395b12f7.png (1211x655, 737K)

Benis

Why do you even think that it is of relevance what he is thinking at that moment??

Of what is relevance to the question?

Well, the question was >What is Ichinojo thinking in this exact moment?

So let me say, you fat fuck, that the answer is simple:
He thinks either "What is what?" or "was it worth?"

But since you are a little faggit from a faggit country, who knows shit about the world, let me explain it.
You and your fellow citizens are human retards, who knows only the "Me". You, your society and your country is so much egocentric, they do not know others, but only themselves. Give a fucking American a world map and he cant even find his own country. Thats America, that is you!

You only know #my #metoo #myprivilegues #myvulva #myeverything
And since you know only yourself, you try to project your way of life to others and think this post could be kinda funny. Well, the funny is you, because it shows what a human trash you are. You understand nuffin!

Ichinojo is a Mongolian. Maybe, you google it and find out, that thats a country between Russia and China. There is nothing much. steppe, desert and few cities. You would call it a shithole. And to make it even better, Ichi doesnt come from an urban area like his fellow yokozuna-mates, but from a rural place. He lived kinda like the Murrican natives. riding from one place to the other, building regulary his tents, and because they had no playstations, they used their freetime with wrestling and shit.
And one time, someone discovered his potential and overnight he left one of the most omega-places of this planet just to become a sumo-star in the most developed alpha-country. This guy knows all the extremes in his short life already.
And after having integrated in a foreign country, learned a foreign language, taken the foreign culture, he may appear like in that picture, and a stupid shithead from Murrica may asked what he might have thought. Well, maybe he thought:
"Was it worth to give up Mongolian life, just to be fed like a Murrican swine and to smash other peoples faces for others enjoyment"

Attached: 26b79804d716e70615e1d99700445915ca7a302468a7f4c9d623d48198aaee3b.jpg (1024x1821, 183K)

can the yokozuna pls win out til day 15. sumo has been boring this year. we need a last day showdown

>that nice Greek guy is gone
>there's now an extremely angry German buzzkill
The evolution of /sumo/ mirrors that of the EU.

Attached: chilly.png (542x598, 880K)

>wanting another HAKUHOWINSLOL

Don't even care if Hakuho actually wins, just want a playoff for the first time since 2017, especially since Toch's heel cockblocked us out of a three-way playoff last tournament.

There's usually a ton of shit in the OP, have a look at the archive

>Enho vs. Shohozan tonight
Enho's going to get an ass whooping.

>Toch's heel cockblocked us
That's a strange way to spell "one massive faggot shimpan".

strem's up
Juryo starts

if Ishiura wins he could end up doing the yokozuna entering ceremony next tournament with stablemates Enho and Hakuho, which will be really happy about it

>strem's up
streams up since hours. le this channel showing even few divisions before:
twitch.tv/karla_marxist

>if Ishiura wins
failed the first attempt today
3 more to go

Gagamaru looks like a sack of potatoes this basho, same as Kaisei which at least stayed home for decency

>haven't been on Yea Forums in years
>recently got super into sumo but have no one to discuss it with
>back on Yea Forums

does anyone else think takayasu is a huge beta? that staredown last tournament with hakuho, holy shit

Check out Aki 2018 bout between them

Nothing wrong with that. Even better if it comes form a last day win against Kakuryu and then a playoff.
I don't want another whoeverdoesntgetinjuredwinslol

>does anyone else think takayasu is a huge beta?

>kept in injured for kk
>fighting one-armed
>beta

Holly shit, how I hate fucking MURRICANS!

I'd probably shit myself if Hakuho stared me down like that. I can't blame him for choking.

>again no envelopes for Ichi

brutal by kakuryu

>churka talking about brutality

KakuryuWinsLOL

>german talking

He's going to win it isn't he?

Attached: isleep.png (839x608, 889K)

Kaks got this.

His year, la

Hope Kakuryu and Hakuho stay steady so we can have a final day matchup for either Kakuryu's first zensho yuusho or a playoff.
Be nice to have a tournament in play until the last moments rather than decided days in advance.

he straight sonned chiyotairyu today with that trip.

Attached: sonned.jpg (1322x1080, 825K)

I think it's telling that Hakuho only pulls that level of gamesmanship with Takayasu though.

>Enhou's ankle getting fucked like that
why does it keep happening to the little guys
they don't deserve this

>german

>they don't deserve this
because it's sumo and not judo.
If he deals with big guys, he has to deal with big injuries.
he is pretty nice to watch:
a mad gone bull terrier biting and jumping around a boar.
But if a boar takes his hit, the bull terrier just gets fucked.

Enho's problem is, that he has only one tactic:
going to the leg and bring the opponent out of balance.
But if the opponent resists, or is even as small as him (salt-guy)
he just gets fucked. Just look at his loses:
He gets thrown out of the ring in a way like in old Chaplin moobies.
It is a wonder, that he is still in one piece after salt-guy dropped him
out 2 times in a row.
And just imagine, what could happen when he fights against Ichi and Ichi accidentally slips out:
Poor Ichi has to go to the hospital, to get Enho removed out of his arse.

It is just a matter of time until he gets some very serious injuries.

youtube.com/watch?v=uE8rtw5yO20

>>Enho vs. Shohozan tonight
>Enho's going to get an ass whooping.
Told ya'.

coming next Chiyonoo - Tsurubayashi for Makushita yusho
Sandanme yusho will require more work probably

Always weird as hell seeing these lower divisions with hundreds of people in them that only wrestle 7 days, and the "winner" is some guy 80th in the division's rankings who never faced anyone in the top 50.

they get a piece of paper and go up 100 or so places in a list of 700 people

those "divisions" are there only for practical reasons; the main barrier is between salaried ranks and non-salaried: you have to admit that crossing that one is quite difficult

Irodori promoted again to Juryo
Akiseyama down to Makushita
Tsurugisho yusho in Juryo is almost certain now: solid win against the only other contender Takanofuji

good to see Ikioi improving his condition little by little

question is if Yoshikaze will go to down to Juryo or not: I can see a M17 for him, and an extra promotion to Juryo from Makushita to fill up the spot left by Aminishiki

>3 more to go
done!

>CACAryu

>craparyu

Chokearayu

Attached: F.jpg (640x838, 68K)

can't we credit the other guy instead?

Attached: tomo.png (643x417, 31K)

KakuryuLosesLOL

I still remember ura rushing full charge towards takayasu only to bounce off and get his shoulder wreck. He was never the same after

Simple but effective from Tomokaze
Shame there isn't enough time for him to go against Hakuho too, would be pretty interesting

Yeah, Tomokaze has been pretty great this whole basho. He's only 24, I think he has some serious sanyaku potential.

Attached: 1558782725426.jpg (800x703, 125K)

tomokaze never had a losing record, kid's gonna be the next great yokozuna

Hakuho vs Kakuryu on the last day pls

if there's two yokozuna they always face each other on the last day, you don't have to worry about that

This will be guaranteed unless one of them pulls out due to an injury, and since they're both 12-1 it means it's a guarantee it'll be for the yusho. The only possible alternative is them both losing and Terutsuyoshi winning tomorrow, which would mean if Terutsuyoshi won again in the final day then he'd face whoever won the HakKak match as the yusho playoff, which would be fucking hilarious.

if he ever goes against a yokozuna I bet the Association will ask him to throw less salt :D

When will manlets learn?

>if Terutsuyoshi won again in the final day then he'd face whoever won the HakKak match as the yusho playoff, which would be fucking hilarious.

Attached: ......jpg (500x564, 35K)

>CHOKeRYU

>yoshi wins the basho because a yokozuna slipped on the salt
kino 10/10 ending, make it happen

It's extremely unlikely but technically possible that Terutsuyoshi could go through clean to 13-2, and then both Yokozuna could win one, lose one, leading to a 3 way playoff.

>if he ever goes against a yokozuna I bet the Association will ask him to throw less salt :D

unlikely. he is literally just copying a guy before his time, who throw ~a half kilo salt at once. no idea who that was, but probably a former yakuza.

Asahisho?

youtube.com/watch?v=LoJE3xxBSJ8

youtube.com/watch?v=P7rRT3vAL3U

nope, it was Mitoziumi

Win or lose, Enhou put up a hell of a frenzied fight today. That's the kind of sumo I want to see from guys like Hak and Kak. They *can* do it, why don't they?

Because they're old, worn down, twice Enho's size, and frankly good enough that they don't need to. Enho does that shit because in the sumo world he's a midget and he needs to do all that just to tread water.

>yokozunae
>old, worn down

>Enho
>24 years old, 95kg
>Hakuho
>34 years old, 152kg
Yeah, why don't they

Both are two of the oldest 8 in the top division (with the oldest, Yoshikaze, sitting out this tournament due to injury which means he's in juryo next tournament) and also the two with the longest careers. Both have been wrestling since 2001. There are children who were born when Hakuho started pro sumo who are old enough to vote. Both of them have missed over a quarter of their bouts to injury since 2015 (Hakuho over 28%, Kakuryu over 30%). Yes, they're worn down. You think Kakuryu would be able to pull off Enho's footwork with his chronic hip problems? You think Hakuho would be able to do the quick arm work with his arm and shoulder injuries? The yokozuna are on top because they wrestle smart, not because they hop around like a ADHD kid on crack.

Would they not win faster and easier if they bothered to be hyper aggressive? The Association was angry at Hakuhou for how violent and effective his slap-and-grab was, was it not?

I doubt they'd even be able to win as often as they are. At 33/34 and burdened with injury the reason Hakuho and Kakuryu manage to maintain dominance is their superior technique and being able to lure their opponents into doing things their way. The moment they take an aggressive, offensive approach power becomes the deciding factor and then you have situations like the HakIchinojo match the other day where they just overpower the Yokozuna.
Hakuho of years past certainly used fast, aggressive sumo to his advantage but it's just the unfortunate reality that with age you have to take a different approach.

>Hakuho of years past certainly used fast, aggressive sumo to his advantage but it's just the unfortunate reality that with age you have to take a different approach
Alright, fair enough.

I just hope one day to see a giant musclebound yokozuna, with Karelin-like dominance over passive rikishi.

So whatever happens we are guaranteed a showdown on the last day. Would have liked to see a playoff but unlikely now

Enho is a midget freak show fighter that lasts another year tops before injuries derail him

5'6 is not freakishly small. Not even for a rikishi. Mainoumi is 5'7.

Did you see how he almost blew his knee out in this tourney, he just can’t continue his style although it is very entertaining

According to official stats, Enho and Terutsuyoshi are tied for third shortest to make makuuchi since 1958. The shortest, Sagatsukasa, ping-ponged between makuuchi and juryo (mostly juryo) for a few years before getting injured, and has since been languishing in makushita for the past six years. Plus it's not just his height; he's by far the lightest top division rikishi since the 60s. Even Takanoyama the Czech jumping bean makes Enho look like a midget.

>Mainoumi is 5'7.
Before or after he had an inch of silicon implanted into his head?

Some good bouts these two days. Good to see Enho not injuring himself (too much) with that ankle, would be a real shame. Hopefully Kakuryu's loss wasn't marking his collapse for the tournament too, would love to see a last day decider against Hakuho, especially seeing how both of them were very decisive with their wins so far.
And what, a maegashira 16 being only one-off behind yokozunas and NO ozekis present anymore, with previous tournament winner jobbing like a bitch (seriously, does it happen often with non-yokozuna winners?)? Sounds to me like a great tournament lmao.

lmao wtf
Does it help with his tachi-ai?

He had it implanted to get over the height requirements for professional sumo, I heard.

Mainoumi's true height was 173 cm. Enhou is 168. Mainoumi weighed 98 kg; Enhou weighs 99. They're essentially the same size.

it would be a lot more fascinating world if lads could still chuck ridiculous amounts of silicon in their heads to pass height requirements

Attached: sumosilicon.jpg (500x813, 112K)

or just not have to pass arbitrary height requirements

You realize you're using one of the most extreme outliers ever to argue in favor of someone who's even smaller than that outlier?

Yes.

ichinojo is a horrible example to prove your overpowering point. he'll win against anyone if they dont have some kind of position on him that stops him from putting all 500lbs into them.

Tbh I believe this too, right now he's looking like the biggest future hope. Just banking on him to permanently destroy Endo, just twist him up into a pretzel of shattered bones, ripped ligaments, and ruined dreams before I give him my unconditional fandom.

Enho's technique is literally just Hakuho's technique used by someone with less skill and less body mass, he's from Hakuho's stable and has been trained by Hak all the way.

>he doesn't remember Roidonofuji

Attached: Beeflad.jpg (630x315, 19K)

>we will never see a yokozuna of this build again

everyone's just fat now, it's much easier to be fat and impose your weight onto someone than to be bulky as fuck

It's also much easier to gain and then lose fat than it is to eat steroids like candy and die at age 61 from hypercancer from overclocking every cell in your entire body.

Hakuho is certainly fat, but his legs are why he is the GOAT. Very strong. You can see his leg muscles clearly despite the fat.

stream's up
some interesting Makushita bouts between guys at 5-1

>it's much easier to be fat and impose your weight onto someone than to be bulky as fuck
No, it's not. That's why most of the truly fat fucks, like Tokushoryu, Aiyama, Chiyomaru, and countless other rikishi SUCK and get their asses kicked by dudes 100 pounds lighter.

Here come the lads

Based manlet

>activate ze final day drama protocol

Attached: 1542322118262.jpg (500x387, 39K)

Hakuchoke lmao

Hak getting yorikiri’d by gik. Ichi I understand but the old ozeki? Nah.

>stable morozashi grip
>keep pushing forward
>hakuhoLOL

"can't we credit the other guy instead?"
--cit.

don't miss tomorrow Terunofuji Vs. Shiraishi

Bad sumo is bad sumo and Hakuho executed equally poorly in both matches. Regardless of what happens tomorrow I reckon you'll see him out doing a bunch of training leading up to next tournament and terrorizing some other stables.

HakuhoLosesLOL!

His height increased by 4 cm, actually. That's 1.6 inches.

Attached: implant.jpg (400x295, 15K)

omg, tomorrow will be awesome. What if Hakuho wins lol?

Going off current form Hakuho is almost the underdog for the first time in a long, long time. Kakuryu is looking stronger so it'll be down to whether Hakuho has enough tricks in the bag to outskill him twice.

hakuhowinslol but then loses the playoff rematch

screenshot this

Really disappointed by Terutsuyoshi today. Went down way too easy. By the way, he's doing an Asashoryu impressions or what?
And I'm disappointed with Hakuho too.

I thought he was mocking hokutofuji cause you see him run off to his corner doing his thing and then terutsuyoshi did the exact same thing, except he threw more salt

Dumb london paki. Give your head a wobble mate. Oh my days. Have a word. Oh my days.

Pretty sure he done it twice or thrice already before today.

What's the best way to watch sumo? I saw some clips on TV the other day and it looked entertaining as hell. Also what's it mean when people throw the purple pillows at the ring?

>What's the best way to watch sumo?
You should push a dragondildo up your arse when you start watching sumo.

>Also what's it mean when people throw the purple pillows at the ring?
The games are over and the crowd is happy to get rid of their dragondildos.

Kintamayama on YouTube.
Means a big upset victory, almost always when a lower ranked guy (maegashira) beats a yokozuna. In fact maegashira beating yokozuna is known as kinboshi, or gold star, and earns the maegashira a permanent increase to his salary for the rest of his career, because of how much of an upset it should be.

Nice that looks perfect. Thanks man.

mbovosumo has it live on twitch if you're awake

see you in 7 hours guys
don't miss tomorrow or I'll tasukizori your mom

Attached: 5645435.jpg (949x910, 121K)

now is the time for the geek's reign

Does tie breaker happen same day?

Yes, immediately after the last match.

they can add Monday as Day 16 if needed

Attached: day 16.png (481x537, 44K)

oh wait, they call it Day 16 but it's still on Sunday

Jonokuchi kettei sen happening right now

HAKUHOWINSLOL

youtube.com/watch?v=eAJ27fUhzk4

dat Endo

>Yoshikaze will go to down to Juryo or not
Azumaryu kk today is complicating things now for all the guys in danger of demotion or hoping for promotions from Juryo; kind of a mess

fuck abi

hope Abi gets ruined and descends to Jonidan like Terunofuji
don't be a cunt to kotoshougiku

Is there any list of the guys who go down juryu and come to upperest division?

Well, the last day henkaing is pretty fucked up.

GET FUCKED

YAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

hakuholoseslol

:)

Jesus I’m starting to believe hak is getting old now. Time sure flies

HakuhoLOL

Props to Kak
Well deserved

Attached: Screenshot_20190721_122946.png (1600x900, 1022K)

His arm is really fucked up imo
He had left inside grip and let go there at the end which resulted in Kak morozashi
Same thing happened yesterday against Kotoshogiku

Realistically, how many bashos does hak left in him? I guessing he’ll kyujo the sep basho. 2020 will probably his last year and I dont think he’ll finish that year.

Either way, he was the god of sumo

I see no problems with Hak-

you can do queries on the sumo DB
just write j as the rank in basho 1 and m in basho 2, or the opposite

promotions for next basho will be announced to the press in a few days:

cibersumo.com/en/sumo/history-and-data/press-room-news

Attached: sumoDB query j m.png (729x765, 94K)

Where is the president-cup?

Trump cup?
I think it was a one time thing

Didnt he say something like 'maybe this cup be here for the next 1000 years' or something?

Also:
no Makaron-cup

Attached: 1563699100099.jpg (1440x810, 166K)

The ABSOLUTE STATE of Hakuho

i would bet its presented any time the us president goes to the last day, otherwise its stored

Good for Kaku to win a basho this way, shame about Haku

also fuck abi

he will be at the 2020 Olympics in Tokyo, not sure in which role: maybe just holding the flame for a few meters; if his citizenship application is accepted he may retire right away, even before the Olympics

if he takes it easy, 2023-2024
Meaning strives to take 1 yusho per year and then stay out most of the year. It shouldn't be so hard since he would have a lot of time to prepare and recover faking injuries and shit.
Yokozunas have it easy.

From this view Salty and the faggot are indeed pretty small.

Attached: sumokyokai_66625059_1875548152545571_7066864188832648059_n.jpg (1080x794, 140K)

I don't think Hakuho is necessarily "finished". So far, he seems to be keeping up with previous years' performance.
He has stated pretty clearly that he will retire in 2020, though.

Attached: hak.png (698x554, 41K)

I'm gonna miss sumo lads.

It we be given only for may basho.

Holy fucking shit. Endo delivers for the second time, two of the best bouts in a single tournament. This guy is insane. He's rope dancing techniques are impeccable. This fella just got himself on my "rikishi to root for" elite list. Way to go.
The last duel of the tournament was great too. Finally Kakuryu looked like a proper yokozuna. Hakuho kinda disappointed tho, should not have lost that many.
Anyway, great tournament, a deserving winner, some great great bouts (Endo's two especially), good record for Enho and complete meltdown of the top ranks (sans yokozunas and _maybe_ the sole ozeki that is Takayasu).
Cheers lads, see y'all in two months!

I'm watching natto's dailies during a tournament and Chris Gould's for behind the scenes vids.

What day did Enhou fight Ichinojou? I forgot that fight.

I don't think Enhou has ever fought Ichinojou. Endou has plenty of times though.

Good finish the tournament. Playoff would've been nice but oh well, Kakuryu looked dominant all tournament and he earned the victory. Though I'm sure Hakuho's expectations of himself are higher, a pretty good performance by the GOAT considering that bicep injury really wasn't that long ago. Hope he recovers further and we can close out the Hakuho era with more regular duels between the two old men.

I hope we can close out the Hakuho era with some young guys earning the yokozuna spot and pushing them out. I don't want to think what the top division will be like if the two retire with nobody around who can consistently surpass them.

There is no one in their class.

but they were both in this tournament though. Doesn't everyone face everyone once?

Exactly, that's the problem. Once they retire, the top division's going to look like dogshit for a while.

no

Attached: sumoDB sekitori matrix.png (1349x1527, 150K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss-system_tournament

we need a sukune

Attached: (2004.07) Hakuho v Hayateumi.webm (1022x718, 2.66M)

wait what

Hakuho had a strong grip but at the last moment lost his right hand and Hayateumi tightrope walked his way out of it

That was a damn good last match

but that's not even what happened

Winners get a giant macaron as a prize? That's amazing.

if you say so

Attached: (2003.07) Asashoryu v Takamisakari.webm.webm (1280x720, 2.85M)

Poor Kotoshogiku having flashbacks. Funny how the unwritten rules always fly out the window when a guy is right on the edge

>promotions
*promotions from Makushita to Juryo
for the others we have to wait September when the next banzuke is issued

some of the ozeki will manage to win 2 tournaments in a row, be yokozuna for like 3 more tournaments and asked to resign due to bad performance... rinse and repeat for every ozeki... oh wait a sec...

Roaring

Autism at its maximum potential

Watching the last day of Nagoya.
Is what Abi did a dirty trick? I mean it's clever play, but both comments on YT and here are stating otherwise.

It's often criticized but it's a part of sumo, and usually the perception depends completely on user and circumstance. Small guys doing it doesn't phase anyone, and if someone the crowd likes does it it gets cheers. For example Tochinoshin henka'd Kakuryu last tournament and people were throwing zabutons since he secured Ozeki repromotion by doing it.

He is a completely asshole-
The point was, that both of them was 7-6 and going for the kk, and than suddenly henka ... it is pretty asshole-tier, specially at the last day.

>if you say so
I do fuckin say so
it looks like one of those weird matches like where Konishiki just walks out of the ring instead of fighting in any way, like hak was selling the match
I'm not saying that's what it was, just it looks that level of pathetic and 'lazy sumo'-y

>Poor Kotoshogiku
That look on his face.....

see you in September!

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_in_sumo#Aki_basho

Attached: 9.jpg (800x744, 134K)

I did NOT expect those two to make kashi koshi, let alone salt man putting up double digits.

It's an extreme dick move based on, as said, the circumstances. Abi had absolutely no need to do it; he's beaten Kotoshougiku in the past using real sumo - and he did what he did today at a young age against someone widely considered to be far past his prime in a day 15 match to get kachikoshi. Adding to the bitterness is that, within recent memory for the fans, Kotoshougiku lost his oozeki rank by one bout because of a vicious and calculated henka.

Downside of being 150+ kg is it can be hard to change your momentum if you're not already expecting it. Hakuho was trying to simply go forward, Hayateumi broke his grip and pivoted, and there was no way for Hakuho to turn in time. Entire thing happened in a second.

They get a ton of weird shit, some dependent on the location of the tournament, classic image from Toch's win where he hoists the giant wicker trophy full of dried mushrooms.

Fuck this was a good basho in the end lads, despite the full-spectrum ozeki destruction. Enho fought great, Terutsuyoshi was fun to watch, Tomokaze kept his streak, and a Yokozuna showdown over the trophy on day 15, is there anything better than that.

Hell, even Endo had some bouts that were good enough to make me briefly forget how much I hate him.

No, it wasn't. Enho getting kk was the only good thing that happened. Hakuho was douche yet again and shown some lucker wins, YET AGAIN. Tochinoshin still has big problems, Takayasu totally wrekt his arm, Takakeisho still recovering, Goeido still a faggot, Ryuden fought bad but I still love him, Abi is a cunt, Ichinojo got kk but shown he's not even ozeki material yet, Endo is lame with his bullshit. Oh Hokutofuji did good and Terutsuyoshi did great.

Let's not forget Chiyonokuni that continues his fall into oblivion. He's into the n-th division and still absent. And Ikioi last time I saw him was something like 1-6 or 0-6 into Juryo.

>Hakuho was douche yet again and shown some lucker wins, YET AGAIN.
Technique =/= luck

that's what you call "struggling every match"?

big kek moment

Attached: nippytwistakomi.png (541x657, 638K)

If he's struggling, then what do you call all the people who lose to him?

not luckers

Not luckers, just suckers

Attached: 1548121960932[1].jpg (1141x635, 118K)

Was thinking about going back and making some webms, what's the best place to get HQ vids without silly graphics and shit?

yo sumo threads are on Yea Forums now?

Has Yea Forums finally fallen completely to the wrasslin' fags?

Attached: Aoiyama vs Chiyonokuni.webm (480x270, 2.97M)

Attached: D__LyP5VUAAsZYi.jpg (1136x640, 72K)

enjoyed watching endo's performance this tournament

he's gonna be in the sanyaku ranks again for next basho, probably komusubi since takakeisho is dropping from ozeki down to replace tamawashi's sekiwake spot

endo's just gonna choke again like he always does when he gets up to the sanyaku ranks, he'll never live up to his potential

Abi is a coward desu. After all that great Sumo he pulls a henka on the last day against an old man. Was he even going to lose Komusubi with a 7-8?

Is Mitakeumi ever going to get over the hump? Guy's been lower sanyaku for two and a half years straight now, which is the second longest streak ever since 1958.

>Was he even going to lose Komusubi with a 7-8?
With Hokutofuji, Aoiyama and Endou all having winning scores, especially Endo's 10-5, yeah I'd say so.

youtu.be/QBNgVcejTWA
youtu.be/UYe49wS7j70
youtu.be/G7x_OwAKXXs

Absolute beast

To be fair, there is a lacking of prime Hakuho footage due to the massive cheating scandal that prevented coverage of entire bashos, and even got one cancelled

Mita is too wobbly to ever get past Sekiwake imo, sure he has great forward drive when he wants to, but his balance and movement change are really lackluster, not to mention stamina.

>always
I'm pretty sure he's only touched sanyaku once; he debuted as komusubi a year+ ago and immediately got knocked back down in his first tournament.

I think he is living up to his potential though, he just doesn't have what it takes.

>Takamisakari
I remember this guy!

>the full-spectrum ozeki destruction
All top-ranks, sans the two yokozunas, were S H I T this tournament. Ozekis out, sekiwakes and komusubis jobbing like no tomorrow.
Endo can really deliver some gods damn good sumo on his day. Speaking of which, curious case of him and Abi - they seem pretty equal, Abi being more of a one trick pony IMHO, but somehow he is having it better with the crowds. Where does that come from?

Nice.
Wonder whether Aoiyama would be doing better if trimmed the fat a bit. He's probably too old for that anyway, tho.

New or been out of the loop awhile, huh?

Endo has a huge fanbase because he's handsome for a 150-kg fatass and because his results as a junior made him the Great White Hope against the mongoru domination until he totally fizzled out in makunouchi. (Arguably, reaching sanyaku once and upper maegashira fairly consistently isn't fizzling out by any reasonable metric, but the hype train was going hard enough that it derailed. People were hoping for swift yokozuna promotion and shit.)

He has a low reputation in the tiny Yea Forums sumo fanbase due to being grotesquely overhyped, although you see it less here than you used to on Yea Forums. I myself seethe every time he wins.

I think it was mostly a matter of having more posters, and getting some new people into the sport even if it means that occasionally a thread gets archived because nobody bumps it.

Attached: Screenshot_20190722-121106_Instagram.jpg (1080x1072, 776K)

>New or been out of the loop awhile, huh?
My man, I've been so out of the loop, the last underdog I was rooting for was Tochiazuma, Chiyotaikai was still a threat and Asashoryu was only starting his reign lmao.
>the Great White Hope against the mongoru domination until he totally fizzled out
He ain't the first one, nor is he the last one, innit.
Anyway, was thinking about the on site Nip crowds rather than here, but thanks.
Feels nice to not be stained by memes and only evaluate rikishi based on their performance and not the completely moronic fan hype.
>He has a low reputation in the tiny Yea Forums sumo fanbase due to being grotesquely overhyped
Shame about that.

>and getting some new people into the sport
If it wasn't for /sumo/ going back to espee, I'd still be out of the loop.
Cheers.

>I've been so out of the loop
Kek, then it might interest you to know that Asa did very well, but was ultimately overshadowed by Hakuho, the objectively greatest rikishi of all time. He holds probably half of all records and it's hard to imagine them being broken in our lifetimes.

>He ain't the first one, nor is he the last one, innit.
Far from it.

>Anyway, was thinking about the on site Nip crowds rather than here, but thanks.
Yeah, that's where the huge fanbase is. It looks like it's mostly cooled off now, but his matches used to get ridiculously disproportionate sponsorships, so various mongols would walk off with unreasonable packets of envelopes for mashing his face into the clay.

Anyway, welcome back and have fun, Broland!

Makes you think.

Attached: 15638091349440.png (523x873, 408K)

It's almost certainly accurate too, if a guy's working on twice the practice as his competitors at any given age then there's bound to be a huge skill gap.

Funny game at the appstore

Attached: aZtTUq8.png (1920x1080, 884K)

All were injured. I don't know about that fag Goeido, but the rest were injured.

Compared to whom? Or better yet, who do you see as ozeki in place of Mitakeumi? Cause I don't see anyone better for the rank.

Wtf, now I like Kakuryu.

When it comes to being ozeki or yokozuna it's not a matter of compared to whom, it's a matter of if Mitakeumi himself is consistent enough to meet the promotion criteria. He two wins away last year and choked.

Tomokaze seems promising for Ozeki, very good balance, good strength, seems like he needs to get stronger at the belt, but he might just full send Takakeisho style
Mita has enough talent for Ozeki, but yeah.. isn't refined enough in agility and footwork, plus he makes too many mistakes when going against guys who are ranked below him.

> 2 wins away and choked
He still got to only two wins away. And yes, it is a matter of compared to whom. You look at the other competitors and you can;t see anyone else as ozeki (even when applying your same standards). Someone will and that someone will be Mitakeumi, eventually.

He can't even consistently beat people in upper maegashira and lower sanyaku right now, let alone people who are currently ozeki or yokozuna. His only hope unless he gets his ass in gear is to just wait for everyone above him to retire, and at that point there will be younger guys surpassing him. If Mitakeumi actually earns ozeki, it won't be while wrestling the same way he is now.

not a big surprise, but makes you think, that Takayasu still had 2 one-armed-fights after his injury.

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-07-22 21-46-01.png (572x453, 179K)

Getting 8 wins this tournament was crucial for Takayasu because now he gets to take off the entire next tournament if he needs it without being demoted, while the others aren't as fortunate. If Goeido's proper fucked I wonder if he'll just retire rather than go back down to sekiwake.

This truly is the most vicious of sporting worlds, isn't it

While this is true it was also an impressive show of stoicism on Taka's part and I bet he won major points with the sumo oldfags on the committee for it.

I wonder how the sumo elders feel about Chiyonokuni.

How likely is it that any sumo wrestlers are on steroids?

There would absolutely be some around but I wouldn't be surprised if the number is lower than you'd expect from a sport with no drug testing thanks to the somewhat bizarre training culture in Sumo.

Those kinds of drugs are probably going to be used primarily for recovering from injury rather than building muscle mass while healthy. Sumo training focuses more on technique and practice matches rather than simply building muscle mass. Wouldn't surprise me if someone like Toch is juiced up though.

>Asa did very well, but was ultimately overshadowed by Hakuho, the objectively greatest rikishi of all time
I kinda love this.
>Anyway, welcome back and have fun, Broland!
I have, thanks.
Cheers my man.

All were injured?
And they will be next tournament too, because you can't heal a torn bicep or busted knee in a month. If it wasn't for Takayasu, ALL shitzekis would be facing demotion for September, my man. Tell me who of them can make it out of that mess?
Also, when it comes for others going high rank, I don't believe there is anyone in the upper parts of the table that deserves it. I reckon completely new guys must rise to the rank rather than some brittle shitters filling up the lineup. Guys like, dare I say it, Enho (if he bulks up a bit) or Terutsuyoshi (if it wasn't all a fluke that is), Tomokaze and even Asanoyama if he ever rebounces, of which I ain't so sure.
Cheerio.

>Those kinds of drugs are probably going to be used primarily for recovering from injury
This.
>Wouldn't surprise me if someone like Toch is juiced up though
He's in a constant loop of recovering from injuries, innit.

Hakuho training the little faggit:
streamable.com/9ketg

>30 kg
what

What "what"? Too little? Too much? Looks pretty reasonable to me.

according to this page
helpster.de/gewicht-von-einem-bierkasten-informatives_195554
one of pic-related beer crate is ~15kg.
Now imagine, they are training with two of them.

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1544x1417, 532K)

Reminder that sumo strength and conditioning is a joke and about 50 years out of date. There is always one guy who gets offended when I say this even though it's undeniable.

Not really. They just don't chuck up footage of sumo lifting weights because it doesn't fit the image.

Look at Goeido's record, then look at Mitakeumi's. Then look at Goeido's again.
You argue over what? Do Tochinoshin, Takayasu and Goeido beat all maegashira? No.
Let's take their records against Kakuryu and Kotoshogiku for example.
> Kakuryu - Goeido 29-14
> Kakuryu - Takayasu 12-10
> Kakuryu - Tochinoshin 23 -4
> Kakuryu - Takakeisho 3-1
> Kakuryu - Mitakeumi 7-5

> Kotoshogiku - Goeido 21-30
> Kotoshogiku - Takayasu 12-15
> Kotoshogiku - Tochinoshin 24-10
> Kotoshogiku - Takakeisho 2-3
> Kotoshogiku - Mitakeumi 4-11

> let alone people who are currently ozeki or yokozuna
The fuck? Mitakeumi BEAT all 3 yokozuna (+an ozeki) in a single tournament (WHILE INJURED in the later stages).

Asanoyama is not yet there. He still has to learn.
I need to see more of Tomokaze to have an opinion about him. Same for Enho and Terutsuyoshi.

Goeido's record is irrelevant because he pulled off the promotion criteria for ozeki. His current performance does not matter because he no longer needs to meet that standard. I am arguing I don't see Mitakeumi being consistent enough for three tournaments in a row to meet the promotion requirements. This is why comparing current ozeki to lower sanyaku is frivolous, because the current ozeki are held to a much lower standard that is needed to reach that rank in the first place. Goeido can alternate between 8-7 and 0-0-15 and keep ozeki rank that way, that is not the standard Mitakeumi needs to reach in order to become ozeki.

Still waiting for Ichinojo to be the Next Yokozuna

> ozeki are held at a much lower standard
and if we'd compare his records with all other upper maegashira and lower sanyaku, what would you have to say?
I'll just spill it out: your point is baseless bullshit.

And I know from where it comes. It comes from the fact that his performance this basho was forgetable even though he finished 9-6

>and if we'd compare his records with all other upper maegashira and lower sanyaku, what would you have to say?
That he doesn't meet the ozeki standard, otherwise he'd be ozeki by now. Sorry this simple fact offends you too much. Maybe if they lower the bar your guy can get in.

What offends me so much is you saying something along the lines that "Mitakeumi is not ozeki material".
Which, I'll say it again, is baseless bullshit.

And then, when I ask, you give no example of someone who is ozeki material. You know why? Because you can't,
All other alternatives are far worse from every point of view.

> muh he isn't ozeki material because wobbly
has good records against most other competitors aside from upper sanyaku and even against those has better records than the others have

> muh but proof he isn't ozeki material is because he came 2-win close to being one
is this some clown logic or what?

> muh we can't compare because reasons
no, we can't compare shit because it would defeat your baseless argument

He just looked to be having so much trouble moving the damn thing.

>All other alternatives are far worse from every point of view.
And they are also not ozeki material. This does not mean Mitakeumi is ozeki material just because he's better than the alternatives. It just means nobody is ozeki material.

>has good records against most other competitors aside from upper sanyaku and even against those has better records than the others have
"Good" is not ozeki. "33 wins over three tournaments with the most recent tournament being at sekiwake" is ozeki. Until Mitakeumi is consistently great, not merely good but actually great, he will not be ozeki. How is this difficult to grasp?

dumb fuck, we talk about who would be ozeki, not about who already is. About hopefulls and shit. Cause if he was consistently 11-4 instead of 9-6 he (or anyone else) would be ozeki, instead of "ozeki material", ffs. And those ozeki that you see as ozeki were 8-7, 9-6 before getting to double digits too.
How much double fucking digits consistency do you see at Takayasu, Goeido and Tochinoshin before becoming ozeki? Are you fuckin retarded????

>How much double fucking digits consistency do you see at Takayasu, Goeido and Tochinoshin before becoming ozeki?
More than Mitakeumi right now you dumb shit, you know you can literally look this shit up on Wikipedia? Mitakeumi has spent the past three straight years either at sanyaku or maegashira 1 (for one tournament of the 24) and came away with double digit wins a grand total of twice. In the three years before becoming ozeki, Tochinoshin reached 10 wins six times, Takayasu nine times, and Goeido seven.

> Mitakeumi has spent the past three straight years either at sanyaku or maegashira 1 (for one tournament of the 24) and came away with double digit wins a grand total of twice.

> In the three years before becoming ozeki, Tochinoshin reached 10 wins six times, Takayasu nine times, and Goeido seven.
Disingenuous faggot, 10+ wins at maegashira 999 is not the same as 10+ wins at M1 or sanyaku. Of which Tochinoshin has like 3, Goeido has like 6 and Takayasu 5. And all include their successful ozeki runs.

>And all include their successful ozeki runs.
Wow, it's almost like that's an important difference or something.

>Wow, it's almost like that's an important difference or something.
for ozeki vs ozeki hopefull

Really all you need to do is looking at the difference between Takakeisho and Mitakeumi's respective failed ozeki runs. Takakeisho lost in the final day and was denied, so he went back at it and scored 10 the next tournament to secure his promotion. Mitakeumi faltered and got 9 in a tournament where he could've been promoted, but rather than get back up and put up another 11 to secure the promotion anyway, he wilted and only got 7, and hasn't gotten double-digits since. Mitakeumi is in the no-man's-land of being consistently good, but lacking the consistent "great" that he needs to make ozeki. No amount of trying to make excuses will change that.

Nub question here: Since the basho ended does that mean no more sumo matches until the next basho?

Yes. There are tours through Japan with practice bouts as exhibitions but no tournament matches until September.

I was never a huge fan of Kakuryu, but I'm glad he's been able to validate his ranking as Hakuho has started to slide

>"33 wins over three tournaments with the most recent tournament being at sekiwake" is ozeki.
This isn't really correct. You have to be in sanyaku all three tournaments, you can't go from like M5, go 13-2, get a komusubi promo and then keep going from there.

What do the Japs think of him? He seems to embody the "dignity" the expect out of their rikishi, yet alone a Yokozuna.

Tochinoshin and Terunofuji both started their ozeki runs at maegashira. Granted with Tochinoshin that was his yusho, but Terunofuji started with an 8-7 at M2e (which was enough to make sekiwake because holy fuck just look at the results for Hatsu 2015 for a fucking laugh) then posted back-to-back jun-yusho and yusho to secure his promotion. So you're probably going to say "well yeah it's because he won they won tournaments" but everything about ozeki and yokozuna promotion are loose guidelines.

You keep moving the goalpost. Goeido had failed runs too and didn't get back right away.

The followin 8-7 in January would have been either 12-4, 13-2 or 14-1 if he didn't injure himself in the middle of it.

>consistent great
can't you understand that you can't be consistently great and still be ozeki hopeful? It is against logic ffs.

And your standard for consistent great was Hakuho. For real, he was the only one that meets your criteria apart when you're nitpicking (aka grasping).

Repetition my man.
Wasn't his first go of the day.

No, I completely agree that all of these guys I mentioned still have a long way to go and a lot to learn, but at least they look promising, unlike a certain group of currently high ranked rikishits.

Interested in this too. Didn't like his last runs, especially when Hakuho was absent and he jobbed the yusho to some maegashira schmuck.

*typo 12-3

He beat all the big-dogs apart from a fired-up Takayasu to which he lost after he came back (obviously still injured)

>if you make up this completely bullshit criteria that I pulled out of my ass and has nothing to do with reality, then Mitakeumi is ozeki quality!
>stop moving the goalposts!!!
It'll be 2035 and you'll still be harping on how 40 year old Mitakeumi is ozeki quality after his 30th straight 9-6

With a performance like that, he'd be the best rikishi in the history of man.

And yet, still not an ozeki