Can you get CTE from rugby

Are head injuries an issue in rugby? I want to join a team at my university to stay in shape and stay athletic but I suck at basketball and football is too time consuming/dangerous. I feel like I have a good body type and frame for rugby but I don’t want to get any head injuries. Any of you guys have any experience playing rugby? I have zero.

Attached: 182373AB-37B2-43D6-8411-9B8CB72A2047.jpg (618x438, 145K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/amp.baka.com.au/sport/nrl/no-surprise-but-here-s-why-finding-cte-in-rugby-league-players-matters-20190627-p521zq.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Much less than american football because when you don't have a helmet it fucking hurts to hit someone with your head straight on.

Real thing to look out for is spinal injuries

Also I want to add that I’m aware I probably won’t be good enough to play in any actual games since I never played before. I just want to train.

For somebody who is 5’11 183 lbs fairly lean and pretty fast what position do you think I would play and is it dangerous? Also thank you for the advice bruv.

Small, light. You'd be a scum half or a fly half if you can kick otherwise a winger

I have really strong legs. That’s always been my strongest feature. Thanks mate I’ll look into it.

I have the same size basically. I play as a winger. The injuries do hurt and after every game you feel like shit for days but I never got a concussion

What do you mostly get injured from?

Sprained ankles. I quit rugby last year. It's a fun sport

Fuck man. I think I just want to join a team to train with them only just so I can stay in shape. I can go without the injuries.

Is not widely studied yet but yeah cte in rugby players is a thing, its stupid to think otherwise

google.com/amp/s/amp.baka.com.au/sport/nrl/no-surprise-but-here-s-why-finding-cte-in-rugby-league-players-matters-20190627-p521zq.html

Still fun tho

>I feel like I have a good body type
>5’11
Yikes.

The go to a fucking gym sissy boy, if you practice a sport there is always the risk of injury specially a Contact sport such as rugby Also, fuck do you think people only get injuries at matches and not while trainning?

Lmao. It's impossible to avoid injuries in rugby except in some few positions which don't fit your body

any contact sport it's going to be a risk. Much lower than American football though

It recently became a topic of discussion (probably as a result of all the problems with gridiron in the US). Some players had to retire as a result of head knocks but this is at professional level, amateur players are a lot smaller and the risk of concussion is smaller. I used to play it and I never had serious injuries, but I would always be sore after games

I do go to the gym but it’s boring. I want to get my heart rate up but have fun while doing it. Nobody wants to do sprints by themselves or run on a treadmill. It’s fucking torture.

The with American football you can tackle people who don't have the ball, so the risk of getting caught of guard is way higher

There are some really nasty hits in American football that would never happen in other sports like rugby

>The with American football you can tackle people who don't have the ball

No you cant, you can block them wich can get nasty from time to time, i think blindside tackles are more of an issue, also in my experience keeping the Ball at play is more important than field position in rugby so no need for a devastating motion stopping hit to avoid an extra yard gain that could mean a first down, in rugby all you really need to stop the dude dosent matter if he falls forward or backwards, position Will be determine by Who wins the ruck anyway

rugby league would have exponentially more cases than union

you'll get injuries from time to time (but you'll be tackling properly, not NFL style with your head). If you just want to stay fit then I'd pick a gentler sport or join the gym. You'll get used to it after the first few matches anyway.

Yes but much less than American football. But if you're going to play be prepared to get your head knocked a few times

No cats in rugby. We have wallabies, springboks, kiwis and pumas though.

>tfw no cat bowl

I'm also lean and I play as a winger. Never got concussion level head trauma (just a few tore lips and eyebrows) but I do see many orthopedic traumas, usually knees/ankles and shoulders/elbows. I've seen a couple of ACL teardowns also.