Was Mike Tyson overrated?

Was Mike Tyson overrated?

Attached: D45EA020-50C8-4861-92AD-E6CCC0586BDA.jpg (397x599, 28K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMRdxiCRJbs
youtube.com/watch?v=hx66LWV-CCk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

what was his rating?

Yes.
He's got nothing on The Money Team

A lot of people consider him amongst the GOATs.

nah, that sounds about right. If he wasn't the best then he was the second best. That sounds like a fair rating doesn't it?. What do you think, he's the worst?

He would have beat Marciano, who people rate above him, though heavyweights were smaller in Marciano's time so its tough to compare.

Did Tyson ever beat anyone of note?

Robin Givens

How does he compare to mayweather and Ali?

no

Holyfield and Lewis >>

Overrated by casuals, underrated by boxing aficionados.

Tyson deserves tremendous credit for becoming Heavyweight champion at such a young age, that's a legitimately all time great sporting achievement. He also deserves a lot more appreciation for being so good at his height and reach.

That said, his resume isnt particularly spellbinding, people love to romanticize the idea of him being unbeatable, the hardest puncher in the sports history etc. which is all nonsense. Its like how people romanticize Eminem as the greatest rapper of all time because he's been so heavily promoted and became a pop culture staple.

Why would you say Holyfield is better than Tyson, because he won the two fights?

seems like a good reason

holyfield was better at illegal headbutts. Mike was jailed when he was at his peak, you dont recover from that (even more drugs and abusive wife+nigger manager)

casuals love tyson because he was the pitbull of boxing

>this digits
>that post

Attached: giggling niggling.gif (498x278, 1.94M)

see here . This guy knows what I was about to say.

Tyson had more fights and better stats and also had been in jail for three years. Not sure what you're expectations are for a situation like that. I also do believe Mike when he talked about those head butts. I saw them and believed they were happening even though can't prove it since nobody is there to feel what he's going through.

ah yes, the mythical 'prime' tyson. also seemed to come about the time he was fighting bums

>Tyson deserves tremendous credit for becoming Heavyweight champion at such a young age
>that's a legitimately all time great sporting achievement
please stop making this thread you idiot. tyson beating a bunch of bums to become champion isn't even a top-50 achievement in the heavyweight division. the fact that you think it stands out as one of the greatest accomplishments in boxing... holy shit

>implying everybody else wasn't scared to get in the ring with him

Name another fighter who was that good at 20.

Look at boxing today, when the best young fighters are guys like Devin Haney, Teofimo Lopez and Gervonta Davis, those guys aren't half as good as Tyson was at a younger age.

Nah prime Tyson was a nightmare. In an interview with Ali he said Tyson was one of his favorites.

His peak was a lot shorter than I remember it being. He seemed like such a huge presence throughout the 90s and into the early 00s, but I think post-prison was the beginning of his downfall, so 95 onwards. But no I would certainly not call him overrated.

What the fuck is your point?. How was he a nightmare?, nigga was seriously crazy. Doesn't take away the fact that he whooped everybody in the ring. Also does having a personal favorite disqualify you from the sport or something?.

Tyson destroyed people in the ring, people actually feared him. Then you have idiots that think Floyd is better than Tyson and Ali

As a boxer.
As a puncher the guy was easily top 5 of all time.

Golata
Razor Ruddock
Bruno
Spinks
Holmes

He's top 15 all time heavyweight, so he's rated about right

yes
he's overrated because he's scary and punches hard
he'd never get near these big long heavyweights of the past 15 years

>Then you have idiots that think Floyd is better than Tyson
Its true though, name THREE(3) Hall of Famers that Tyson beat

he lost every time he step up to real competition like lewis and holyfield. it was his persona that made him a superstar

>the toughest pitbull of a black guy ever
>heavyweight champion of the world with a short temper and thuggish attitude
>cucked by a limp-wristed Hollywood white boy

Attached: Gavin a smile .png (560x560, 229K)

No. He embodied everything the baddest man on the planet is supposed to be. His looks, demeanor, lifestyle and performances epitomized what people envision when they think about a heavyfight champion, a fighter who can beat anyone else on the planet (figuratively).

Most others lack something, even guys like Ali were more about the public inspiration than the image of an ultimate bad ass.

I mean look even today's champs. Fury lacks the body and intimidation factor, even though he's great on the mic. Wilder has the power but is kinda lanky and pretentious.
Joshua and Ruiz..well theres nothing to say there.

Mike looked so swole because he was only 5'10. Smaller frame makes it easier to have thicker looking muscles

Attached: 1506202327904.jpg (500x645, 29K)

Yes Holyfield and Lewis were the best 90s boxers

Bowe?

holmes was 50, spinks didn't care anymore, and literally who on the others.

>knows nothing of boxing
shocker

Attached: 1556380158142.jpg (953x1282, 149K)

who is top-3?

he was still HQ

usually guys are chubby with such weight and height

he was a bunch of muscules

Tyson never beat anyone else that would be considered in the all-time great conversations.

Probably most overrated athlete that has ever existed.
Normies rank him "best after ali" when in reality he is barely top 50.

Mike Tyson was a modern champ fighting in the 1980s. He's not overrated but he is literally the archetype of the modern fist-first fighter.

ali, marciano, foreman

>Fury lacks the body
fury is literally twice the size of tyson

Prime Tys would've starched Clay fighting inside

Fuck no, he wasn't

youtube.com/watch?v=ZMRdxiCRJbs

no he also knew women's place in the the natural hierarchy

Attached: tfw broken back.jpg (1284x876, 105K)

Not the best, but the most entertaining, if that makes sense

I think the pinnacle the best heavyweights reached are quite close to each other. And he was one of the best heavyweights.

Buster busted his head before his jail, at the height of his prime. And the count was fair and square both for Buster and Tyson. The official doesn't have to count actual ten seconds, but a count of ten. Buster was waiting the count to get as much rest as possible, so if the official counted faster he would stand up faster. Meanwhile the concussed Tyson was stumbling after the count without his teeth protection on. Even without the knockout Buster would have won UD based on points.
FUCK TYSON FAGS GO BACK TO YOUTUBE

>whenever (they) see something of beauty, truth or power (their) natural inclination is to undermine, subvert or outright destroy it.
go shit up some other grove gideon

early tyson transcended sport. he was the platonic essence of intimidation.
nothing since has compared to when tyson burst onto the scene, walking out in silence with just a towel over his shoulders, knocking dudes out within seconds with terrifying power.
but father time is undefeated.

you dont think they're as good because they're not heavyweights

he had a lot of strengths, but there will always be a ton of asterisks on his record. Losing his trainer/father, going to jail, drugs alcohol abuse. Hard to say what his prime was and how good he was when there was so much shit mixed in. People love to say "a prime mike tyson would do xyz" but at the end of the day that's just speculation and you can only judge a fighter by what he's shown us in the ring and his accomplishments.

I'm not a huge ali fan but i believe that tyson would have gotten wreckd by him

youtube.com/watch?v=hx66LWV-CCk based and fagpilled

Would Tyson in his peak prime stand any chance against Anthony Joshua?

Joshua is a chinlet, so yes he would ko him round 1 or 2

>marciano
>foreman
>top 3

look at this retard. look at this fucking retard and laugh as hard as you can.

Attached: 1543048700138.png (284x177, 94K)

I'm pritty sure he was the worlds best heavyweight boxer in the world at some time, that's pritty gud and hard to overrate

Attached: 76457.jpg (480x480, 31K)

He was the best from 1986-90 which isn't really good because the division was shit then.

He doesn't compare with Mayweather they're different divisions.
Ali > Tyson

Name a more quotable boxer

>overrated?
that will be cassius clay. oh wait, the second slave name he choose, ali.

American authoritarian dictator Teddy Atlas has been quoted as saying that Mike Tyson's record currently stands at 0 and 6.

Mike Tyson was an exciting fighter, which is in many ways more important than being the best boxer.

Attached: 1561172146676.jpg (500x304, 235K)

who would win ali or tyson? i thought tyson would be able to catch ali and break him.

When it has been actually good/competitive that division?

The 40s to the 70s, the 80s were shit. The 90s were good but the division became dogshit again with the klitcshko's so 2006 to 2015, finally the division is actually good again.

He was so based that racists like him even though he was a violent nigger who was in prison for rape

Was a great champ in his prime. It's not fair to judge fighters across generations.

Attached: lol.gif (320x180, 1.11M)

Cringe and faggpilled

I gotta say, the best boxer to me was Rocky Balboa

Mayweather could gain a hundred pounds of weight and pathological hattred with steroid abuse and still wouldn't scratch Tyson.

No he’s not. However his career imo was cut short by Don king completely ruining him. After cus and his other trainer who I can’t think of both passed away that POS Don king ruined him.

>le seething racist spaniard man

I've never felt that electric buzz like buildup to Tyson fights in his hayday... In that sense he was the best...

He is. /box/ is full of contrarian faggots Mike would body any heavyweight of the last 20 years

He never won his belts back. He repeatedly came up short when it mattered. He's probably the most talented boxer of all time but he lacked the winning mentality to make himself the true goat

>Was Mike Tyson overrated?

I don't think so. I am old enough to remember him in his prime (pre prison). He had a lighting right like nothing you'll ever see again. That right just popped out of nowhere, and hit like his glove was made of iron. The number of times that right would pop out, clock someone, and drop them is sort of shocking. But to launch that right he needed to get close.

How Buster Douglas beat him was keep him at a distance, never let him get close enough for that right. then wore him out. Same way that he lost to Holyfield. the reason he lost to douglas was because he was out of shape (and apparently high/drunk at the time of the fight, he had just fired his longtime trainer). After he left prison, he NEVER regained that explosive right. and without that right, he was just a puncher without the stamina to last a long fight.

Yeah he did a good job bodying Evander Holyfield and Lennox Lewis

Oh but here comes the million bexcuses Tyson fans love.

Mike Tyson isn't even in the top 20 heavyweights of all time

read the thread and see why the reason you're wrong has already been explained.

I hope this is bait. AJ could not handle that era. Ruddock would beat AJ. He might hover around the bottom of the top 10 in Tyson's day.

Attached: wp_ww.jpg (800x572, 76K)

“Would Mike Tyson, a fighter know for his quick body and head movement stand a chance against stiffnecked hypejob Joshua?”
Gee wiz I do wonder

Only Tyson fankids do. You can't be GOAT if your career was a disappointment and derailed by stupidity. Every Tyson GOAT argument involves idiots premising everything with "But Tyson in his prime/if Don King never promoted Tyson/etc then he would have beat Lewis, Holyfield, never went to prison".

One of the most talented ever? No doubt.

Retard

who would win tyson or fury?

It seems that ppl who dont even follow boxing think he is the goat, but experts rate him like top 15

How did Don King ruin him?

>experts

you mean like people who write articles in magazines that people want to read for a living?

yes, he beat upon lesser opponents wth haymakers. Once he met a boxer, he was totally confused and then went total nigger. He wasn't a boxer, he was an unleashed nigger.

>1986-1990
>shit
But bonganon, if we're only counting times England has had contenders, we'd never have a good time.

this tbqh

Fury massively outreaches him and still moves well, would be interesting to see if he'd be able to keep Mike at arm's length and/or dodge the lightning he threw back in the day.

It is impossible to say who is the best because the sport has never been about determining who is the best. It's all about beating pigeons and tomato cans on your way to the top while dodging anyone near their prime and only arranging fixed matches where the other guy is happy to get the biggest payday of his life.

He lost all six fights, how can he be considered the GOAT. Dude never won a fight in his life.

Read

Stylistcally he beats ali simce hes a stronger version of frasier

Galzaghe>Tyson

He would lose to any MMA fighter in bare knuckle.

I'LL FUCK YOU TILL YOU LOVE ME FAGGOT

Checked, nice one nigger

Fury, comfortably

Near enough a foot of height difference. Fury's movement is better than anyone Tyson ever fought. He would have also wound him up no end before and during the fight

By nightmare I think he means a nightmare for his opponents.

O M G. Somebody intelligent is on Yea Forums! Lol. Reading your comment was so enjoyable and informative user.

Kek

>bonganons actually believe this
Good grief.

Mike Tyson was dominant for two reasons: he could put anyone to sleep with one punch, and he had defensive game almost as good as Mayweather.

Iron Mike was the greatest heavy weight boxer in our times. Hes better then Ali but you can't compare the two because without Ali there would be no Tyson. But if these two guys met in a dark alley, I think Tyson would be the only one walking out of it

Attached: 1495346805475.png (718x520, 815K)

Mike Tyson was never dominant. He never beat a great fighter.

>He never beat a great fighter.
he had a long enough career I guess there wasn't any to fight then!

Attached: IMG_0814.jpg (672x450, 65K)

He would have killed whatever British boxer you're thinking of.

He beat several hall of famers.

The problem is his childhood. read his book he had an insane childhood that made his mental break i think. long time bullied, molested and growing in that negro ghetto. so inside this monster boxer was a scared little kid. so he always crumbled during tough matches. also the insanity made him use drugs to medicate it. he didnt get back and lost for dumb reasons. meh

sad story and shows the values in black communities

massively overrated how can anyone put him ahead of holyfield when he got exposed by him TWICE not even close to the best fighter of his era comparing him to ali is laughable he’s not even on frazier’s level

>He would have killed Lennox Lewis

>le peak at 25 man

???

Are you retarded user?