Ride The Lightning is still the greatest metal album of all time

Ride The Lightning is still the greatest metal album of all time.

Attached: 1485843580548.jpg (500x500, 43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=qdlQyNe_9tE
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_metal)
youtube.com/watch?v=-ltU17V-YXQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Escape
Not with that dud in the mix

Yep. It prolly still is. Glad that's out in the open.

Not even close.

Attached: Oceanborn.jpg (300x297, 38K)

Get the fuck outta here with that cringy Fingolian opera.

I'm not a big Metallica fan but I certainly respect them, and to be honest I've always liked Kill Em All and Master of Puppets a lot more than Ride the Lightning. Kill Em All feels like a truly punky thrash album that would fit alongside bands like Slayer, DRI, Corrosion of Conformity, or Cro-Mags, and it's first rate. Master of Puppets has a grandiose, ambitious, and accessible feel, yet at that point Metallica still felt like a legit thrash band.

Reminder that Metallica started from the bottom, as an underground band playing in their garage and mailing shitty demo tapes to fanzines, and they rose to the top by being the fucking best in the scene. I'm so tired of metal elitists shitting on Metallica because they're popular.

Has so much more musical value than Metallica and they can at least write decent songs.

FTFY

Attached: Megadeth-Rust-In-Peace-album-cover-820.jpg (820x820, 153K)

not sure if the goat but its up there, best Metallic album tho

waifufag band

>musical value
explain, tranny

>Actual melodies
>Good riff
>Trained opera singer
>Good mastering
>More than the cliche Guitar, Drum and bass.
Early Nightwish is very good.

It ain't metal.

>Actual melodies
You ever heard Fade to Black? The Call of Ktulu? All Metallica songs with great melodies
>Good riff
You have to be trolling. There are four or five legendary riffs in Creeping Death alone
>Trained opera singer
ahh that's why Nightwish is so soulless
>Good mastering
Irrelevant in metal. And Metallica's mastering is actually much better than most of their peers
>More than cliche Guitar, Drum, and bass
Don't know why you capitalized guitar and drums but not bass. Anyway, so what? They play metal. Those instruments are more than capable of performing metal

the one thing i want in my hard boiled metal is a good well trained opera singer

No Metallica album is even in the top 20 of all time.

>the one thing i want in my hard boiled metal is a good well trained opera singer
Agreed

Attached: bruce21.jpg (378x500, 115K)

I guarantee you're a fucking poser who discovered Darkthrone last week and thinks he knows everything about metal. Any true metal fan would agree that Ride The Lightning is one of the greatest metal albums of all time.

>You ever heard Fade to Black? The Call of Ktulu? All Metallica songs with great melodies
Yeah I did. And however Kirk is not that all outstanding when it comes to guitar when you have people like Malmsteen playing a solo.
>You have to be trolling. There are four or five legendary riffs in Creeping Death alone
If you have heard Once. then you know it is not true
>Trained opera singer
>that's why Nightwish is so soulless
A trained opera singer take years to become great and require talent especially when it come to the lyrical chant
>Irrelevant in metal
Mastering is relevant in all music genres.
>Anyway, so what? They play metal. Those instruments are more than capable of performing metal
True. However an extra layer of sound design always make up for a more unique sound.

Nah. That honor goes to Judas Priest - Painkiller

>It is a crossbreed genre so it is not metal.
>But has every instruments and traits that make up a metal genre.
hmmm.

*blocks your path*

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 24K)

>Fucking keyboards
>fucking opera
>metal

Honestly Iron Maiden is so much better than Metallica.

*is a better album in your path*

Attached: Metallica - Kill 'Em All.jpg (630x630, 59K)

Not even in my top 5 Maiden albums.

Symphonic power metal is metal user.

Lmao stop trying, fucking tourists

I'm not even kidding. This right here is more metal than Nightwish.

Attached: 7fb96d28044e3af29b5ff8dffba127db.jpg (640x800, 80K)

top 5? mine are:

Killers
Seventh Son
Powerslave
Somewhere in Time
Iron Maiden (s/t)

Babymetal and Nightwish are metal wtf are you on about.

and I mean JUST Yui

Babymetal is anyway.

>Malmsteen

Attached: bruh.jpg (633x649, 57K)

Yeah. it is just the genre purist who are mad because anything with a different sound is not metal to them which is bs.

Mine are the same, except Piece Of Mind instead of Seventh Son. I've really only heard Seventh Son once or twice. I always really enjoy it, but I'm not familiar enough with it to put it in my top 5 yet.

Piece of Mind is the one album from that era that I couldn't really get into. A lot of the songs like Sun and Steel and Die With Your Boots On were unnecessarily long and repetitive

Ah ha ha ha ha!!

Attached: yui haha.jpg (300x168, 6K)

youtube.com/watch?v=qdlQyNe_9tE
HI CLIFF HOW'RE DOING?
WAAAAAAAAWHAHWHAHWAHHAWAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH chromatic intro

kek metallica had cliff burton, guy was playing piano since his 6 i think, man was based af

the first song is shit and justice is better. FUCK OFF

sorry lightning but youre just a close 2nd to...

Attached: cover.jpg (1400x1400, 1.36M)

Do contrarians just hate cohesive songwriting? Justice is retarded, fuck off

> OHHHHHHHHHHH HE HATE LIGHTNING REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Attached: 1582598779787.jpg (210x251, 17K)

I enjoyed it when I was 12 years old. But I enjoyed man terrible things in my youth. Fuck Metallica, what an elementary plebian taste you have to even dare to call any Metallica album the best of anything. Lulu is unironically their best work

Attached: 001133e9.jpg (320x320, 17K)

>underaged contrarian molested faggot
>likes Lulu
Not surprised

Seventh Son
Iron Maiden
Piece of Mind
Somewhere in Time
Powerslave

I always kind of overlooked Killers, I should listen to it again

I discovered Darkthrone 12 years ago, and before that I was very much into Metallica.

>KEA = Good
>RTL = Nice
>MOP = Good shit
>AJFA = REAL NICE
>S/T = This is the SHIT
All of them were good, OP.
Anyway the rest (like Load, etc.) sucks ass.

>liking s/t but hating Load
You realize how retarded this is, right?

>Load
Wow. Bob Rock's mixing on that album will never be the same as the successful s/t. Load is retarded. So, good job, user.

Lulu is just shamelessly terrible and it makes it hilarious. The rest of their discography is just sad

dilate

Five of those albums were good.
It's the evolution between thrash and straight heavy metal.
According to how many copies were sold in the US:
>KEM = 3,000,000 copies
>RTL = 6,000,000 copies
>MOP = 6,000,000 copies (still, again, like the previous)
>AJFA = 8,000,000 copies
>S/T = 16,830,000 copies
The difference between them? Which is the better album you're liking? You decide.

>S/T
Holy shit
I prefer to this one

Nice.
I'll take AJFA and the S/T instead.

>not blackwater park

Man. Metallica's totally having a increasing sales on their albums and certifications. And then taking a shit while creating for some more hits for us to listen. Anyway, I'll prefer to the S/T one, because it's too much harder to listen with. Enter Sandman was kind of cool, man. So, yes, I'll prefer to that "black" album one.

lol no. metallica is a great band, just extremely overrated, repeating the same riff over and over again.

my personal favorite metal album is melissa

Attached: Melissa_album.png (300x301, 162K)

>1983
Same old shits, same old bands.

RTL and MOP are literally the same, but the sales difference were kind of bullshit, tho.
Anyway, S/T is the good one. I'll agree with that question, user.

The difference between them is that basically KEA was almost groovy as Pantera when they didn't actually shred harder or whatever their development on that album shit, but on RTL, this is simply the good thrash metal album. Otherwise, MOP is just fixed from the previous two, but a little thing did I know is that it was just straight thrash. It was way too thrash-ier literally than both KEA and RTL. On AJFA, it's getting its fucking upgrade for their previous thrash developments on their own metal music. Tbqh, AJFA was also considered as prog metal, it's not just thrash after all, it's simply the fucking garbage justice for all. Later on the S/T, I think Metallica is abandoning their own thrash style because when at the time before Nirvana's Nevermind arrived and ruled alt rock into the mainstream, they just kept it cool. They want more shitty hits for shitty fans to listen. Even on a radio or a car stereo and whatever the fuck it is. When I realized that S/T album, it was kinda pretty good, which reminds of KEA. For my recommendation, S/T was their biggest-selling album up to date. Damn, Metallica is totally taking a shit with hits right now.

Hello James.

>Metallica is totally taking a shit with hits
They made metal music better, user.
Just for their unstoppable shitty hits from the past.

iron maiden
piece of mind
powerslave
number on the beast
dance of death

in no particular order but self titled is definitely my favourite because it has phantom of the opera

>KEA was almost groovy as Pantera when they didn't actually shred harder or whatever their development on that album shit
Lol. They made slow thrash until they became more faster on later albums, that would improve them.

Bullshit. Metallica has more shit than Megadeth.

>RTL, this is simply the good thrash metal album
Simply, yes it is. Based .

>Later on the S/T, I think Metallica is abandoning their own thrash style because when at the time before Nirvana's Nevermind arrived and ruled alt rock into the mainstream, they just kept it cool.
Lol. Imagine if Kurt Cobain was the fan of them.

Take pills and seethe harder, user.
Anyway, it's a good post.

Just compared it to Megadeth:
>PSBWB > SFSGSW > RiP = 1,000,000 copies
>DtE = 3,000,000 copies
*prove me wrong you guys*
Oh shit, Metallica is better than Megadeth!

>Fucking keyboards
How does that push a band from being Metal?
>fucking opera
Metal Isn't characterized to a certain vocal style, believe it or not. You could sing, scream, rap and it will still be Metal.

>You could sing, scream, rap and it will still be Metal.
That's nu metal, user.

Heavy Metal was mostly just singing, user. Extreme metal genres have screaming, and nu-metal is not always rap, there are bands like Korn, Slipknot, and System of a Down that don't rap but still are considered nu-metal.

>Extreme metal genres have screaming, nu-metal is not always rap, there are bands like Korn, Slipknot, and System of a Down that don't rap but still are considered nu-metal.
Considering even bands like Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park has raps, tho.

Nu metal has anything. Sometimes bands were rapping while other bands did not.

Yeah, but I feel like "nu-metal" is too big of an umbrella. Why couldn't they just call these bands rap metal instead?

Yeah MOP doesn't have an Escape so for me it's more perfect. Otherwise they're pretty much equal. RTL is more raw, MOP is more perfectly achieved

Source is on Wikipedia.
(en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_metal)
>Nu metal is a subgenre of alternative metal that combines elements of heavy metal music with elements of other music genres such as hip hop, alternative rock, funk, industrial, and grunge. Nu metal bands have drawn elements and influences from a variety of musical styles, including multiple genres of heavy metal. Nu metal rarely features guitar solos; the genre is heavily syncopated and based on guitar riffs. Many nu metal guitarists use seven-string guitars that are down-tuned to play a heavier sound. DJs are occasionally featured in nu metal to provide instrumentation such as sampling, turntable scratching and electronic backgrounds. Vocal styles in nu metal include singing, rapping, screaming and growling.
>Nu metal became popular in the late 1990s with bands and artists such as Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Kid Rock all releasing albums that sold millions of copies. Nu metal's popularity continued during the early 2000s, with bands such as Papa Roach, Staind, and P.O.D. all selling multi-platinum albums, and came to a peak with Linkin Park's diamond-selling album Hybrid Theory.
That's exactly what you said, user.

>Vocal styles used in nu metal music include singing, rapping, screaming and growling. Vocals in nu metal are often rhythmic and influenced by hip hop. While some nu metal bands, such as Limp Bizkit and Linkin Park have rapping in their music, other nu metal bands, such as Godsmack and Staind, do not.
Man, this guy () is right.

No, I was referring to different types of vocals within the metal genre.
Nu-metal didn't really cross my mind much. I was trying to say that early Heavy Metal doesn't have the screams later punk influenced Metal had, and that rap metal is an existing thing.

Lyrics on that genre?
>Lyrics in nu metal songs are often angry or nihilistic; many of the genre's lyrics focus on topics such as pain, angst, bullying, emotional issues, abandonment, betrayal, and personal alienation, in a way similar to those of grunge. A lot of nu metal lyrics that are about these topics tend to be in a very direct tone. However, some nu metal songs have lyrics that are about other topics. P.O.D. have used positive lyrics about promise and hope. The nu metal song "Bodies" by Drowning Pool is about moshing. Saliva guitarist Wayne Swinny said that the band's song "Badass" was "meant to be one of those 'sports anthem kind of songs'".
Btw, nu-metal's lyrics has anything about, man.

Nu-metal's dead, btw.
>Despite its popularity in the late 1990s and early 2000s, nu metal has often been criticized by many fans of heavy metal music, often being labelled with derogatory terms such as "mallcore" and "whinecore". Gregory Heaney of AllMusic called nu metal "one of metal's more unfortunate pushes into the mainstream". Lucy Jones of NME called nu metal "the worst genre of all time". In Metal: The Definitive Guide : Heavy, NWOBH, Progressive, Thrash, Death ... , Garry Sharpe-Young described nu metal as "a dumbed-down and—thankfully short[-]lived exercise". When Machine Head moved to the nu metal genre with their album The Burning Red and their vocalist Robb Flynn spiked his hair in the fashion of many nu metal musicians, the band were accused of "selling out" and many fans criticized their change of appearance and musical style. Machine Head's drummer Dave McClain said, "Pissing people off isn't a bad thing, you know? For people to be narrow-minded is bad ... [i]t doesn't bother us at all, we know we're going to piss people off with this record, but some people hopefully will actually sit down and listen to the whole record". Robb Flynn, Machine Head's vocalist, said: "There's a minute and a half of rapping on that album. The other 53 minutes of the record are like a giant scar being ripped open while I projectile-vomit through it. If all that people got out of [The Burning Red] was rap-metal, then they didn't fucking listen to it".

Also, don't forget this, Davis himself thought nu-metal was his particular criticism:
>Jonathan Davis, the vocalist of Korn, spoke about the criticism of nu metal from heavy metal fans, saying: "There's a lot of closed-minded metal purists that would hate something because it's not true to metal or whatever, but Korn has never been a metal band, dude. We're not a metal band. We've always been looked at as what they called the nu-metal thing. But we've always been the black sheep and we never fitted into that kind of thing so ... We're always ever evolving, and we always piss fans off and we're gaining other fans and it is how it is."

>In 1994, Korn released their self-titled debut album, which is widely considered the first popular nu metal album. Korn had experienced underground popularity at this time; their debut album peaked at number 72 on the Billboard 200. However, earlier the same year, P.O.D.'s album Snuff the Punk was also released, which was later recognized as the first nu metal album. In 1995, the band Sugar Ray released its debut studio album Lemonade and Brownies, an album described as nu metal. In 1995, Deftones released their debut album Adrenaline. The album peaked at number 23 on the Heatseekers Albums chart on October 5, 1996. Deftones also were temporarily controversial in 1996 when their vocalist Chino Moreno was blamed by TV news reports for a riot that occurred at the 1996 U-Fest festival. Deftones' 1997 album Around the Fur peaked at number 29 on the Billboard 200 on November 15, 1997. Both Adrenaline and Around the Fur were certified gold by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) in the summer of 1999. Adrenaline and Around the Fur were certified platinum by the RIAA in September 2008 and June 2011, respectively.
>Sepultura's 1996 album Roots features nu metal elements that were considered influential to the genre, while Roots itself was influenced by Korn's self-titled debut album. Few bands were playing nu metal until 1997 when bands such as Coal Chamber, Limp Bizkit, and Papa Roach all released their debut albums. Attention through MTV and Ozzy Osbourne's 1995 introduction of Ozzfest was integral to the launching of the careers of many nu metal bands, including Limp Bizkit in 1998.

Continuing from :
>Nu metal began to rise in popularity when Korn's 1996 album Life Is Peachy peaked at number 3 on the Billboard 200 and sold 106,000 copies in its first week of release. In 1997, Sugar Ray released its second studio album Floored. The album achieved mainstream success very quickly and was certified 2x platinum by the RIAA on February 20, 1998. Although Floored is a nu metal album, the only song from the album that achieved chart success was the song "Fly", which is instead a reggae song. Although Sugar Ray continued to be extremely popular, the band abandoned the nu metal genre and became a pop rock band with its 1999 studio album 14:59.

Just watch this one. And it will prove your mind.
youtube.com/watch?v=-ltU17V-YXQ

>During the 2010s, there was a nu metal revival; many bands that combine nu metal with other genres (for example, metalcore and deathcore) emerged and some nu metal bands from the 1990s and early 2000s returned to the nu metal sound. Bands like Staind, Linkin Park and Papa Roach went back to making nu metal songs after abandoning the genre. Bands like Of Mice & Men, Emmure, Issues and My Ticket Home would combine nu metal with metalcore or deathcore. In the 2010s, nu metal bands like From Ashes to New, Islander and Ded emerged.
Oh shit.

Remember this one? The fucking controversial Woodstock 1999 performance is included.
>The Woodstock 1999 festival featured multiple nu metal artists and bands such as Korn, Kid Rock, Godsmack, Limp Bizkit and Sevendust. During and after Limp Bizkit's performance at the festival, violence occurred and people tore plywood from the walls during the performance of the band's song "Break Stuff". Several sexual assaults were reported to have happened during the festival; a rape that was reported during Limp Bizkit's performance, and gang rape was reported to have occurred during Korn's set at the festival. Despite the incidents at the festival, Limp Bizkit's popularity and the sales of their then-recent album Significant Other were not affected. The album peaked at number 1 on the Billboard 200, selling 643,874 copies in its first week of release, topping over one million sold in two weeks, and eventually being certified 7x platinum in 2001. Significant Other sold at least 7,237,123 copies in the United States.

Association with heavy metal:
>In addition to criticizing nu metal, many heavy metal musicians have rejected nu metal as a legitimate subgenre of heavy metal, saying it is not "true heavy metal". Some nu metal musicians have tried to distance themselves from being heavy metal at all. For example, Korn's Jonathan Davis rejected the "heavy metal" label. When talking with Vice, Davis spoke about Korn being called a heavy metal band, saying, "I never thought of us to be metal to begin with. Yeah, we're heavy and downtuned, but metal, to me, is like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. That's metal, man. I always thought of us as a funk band. That funky, groovy shit." Godsmack's vocalist Sully Erna also rejected the "heavy metal" label and said he views Godsmack as a hard rock band. Though he was originally more tolerant of the concept, Linkin Park's vocalist Chester Bennington later expressed some disagreement with his band being labeled a heavy metal group because he felt the term limited the scope of the band's actual style. He elaborated: "[We] wanted to make clear from the very beginning when we were kind of tagged as a 'nu metal' band. Not that we have anything against metal ... [w]e aren't just one thing. So there are elements of the band that are metal, there are elements of the band that are pop, there are elements that are electronic, and hip-hop as well. And we've kind of always felt like we weren't bound to just one genre. So after we made Hybrid Theory and Meteora, we really wanted to take risks beyond what we had already done on those first two records, creatively, and show the world that we can do a lot more than just make nu-metal songs."

>Nu metal
Yes, but I prefer to metalcore.
>Metalcore is a fusion music genre that combines elements of extreme metal and hardcore punk together. Among other styles blending metal and hardcore, such as crust punk and grindcore, metalcore is noted for its use of breakdowns, which are slow, intense passages conducive to moshing. Other defining instrumentation includes heavy guitar riffs, occasional blast beats, and double bass drumming. Vocalists in the genre typically perform yelling or screaming. Some later metalcore bands often combine this with the use of clean singing, with the singing often happening during the chorus of the song. Death growls and gang vocals also are somewhat common types of vocals in metalcore. 1990s metalcore bands are heavily inspired by hardcore while later metalcore bands were inspired heavily by melodic death metal. Melodic death metal bands like At the Gates and In Flames influenced later metalcore bands.

Only correct answer in this thread.

My nigga.

Combine the total of all of those copies.
>39,830,000 copies
And it will blown the fuck out of your mind.

>HANGAR 18 AND I KNOW TOO MUCH
Dave, I need you.

babymetal is more appealing to listen to than that garbage too, regardless of whether or not either are metal