David Berman Appreciation

I miss this son of a bitch so much

youtube.com/watch?v=XxJzN0asbqg

His playful insight is much desired in todays every changing confusing world.

RIP Legend

"Death is a black camel kneeling down so we can ride"

Attached: Purple-Mountains-David-Berman.jpg (790x395, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=0zVzxausyPo
youtu.be/uUu_0VjUx0I
youtu.be/wy32wsD4raY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fuck man me too
this album fucks me up like no other, I've listened to it way too many times

I only recently found out he passed. Sad but also in keeping with his personality and his work, I guess...

Is his music emotionally honest?

Where should I go from American Water? I've listened to it dozens of times but have heard nothing else

RIP. Motherfucker was way too talented.

Yes

I quite like Tanglewood Numbers

i can confirm the natural bridge is his best album

I suppose it's kinda like Elliott Smith, in the sense that a lot of his lyrics were dark and depressing, and he had really struggled a lot over the years, so it's kind of like "yeah that makes sense"

On the flipside he had gotten clean in the mid 2000's. It was a bit of a wtf for me. I learned about it from Stephen Malkmus' twitter of all places.

I had no idea he was alive. It'll be good to get his records, it'll be like a new Jim Morriston for me.

This song could be re-arranged for upbeat be-bop jazz guitar.

Attached: David-Berman-by-Aaron-Margosis.jpg (666x960, 77K)

It's like no time moved at all. Only him.

he was pretty handsome at one point desu senpai

Attached: david_berman01crop_inline_05_right.jpg (1000x1091, 92K)

> In January 2009, Berman announced his retirement from music in hopes of finding a meaningful way of undoing the damage that his estranged father Richard Berman, a lobbyist and public relations executive for the alcohol and tobacco industries among others, had brought upon society.
>Is addicted to heavy narcotics

He probably still would have been if he dropped the hipster look.

god ;_;

IN 1984, I WAS HOSPITALIZED FOR APPROACHING PERFECTION.

Attached: 273-2737636_just-fuck-my-shit-up-pepe-hd-png.png (860x650, 281K)

>I suppose it's kinda like Elliott Smith, in the sense that a lot of his lyrics were dark and depressing, and he had really struggled a lot over the years, so it's kind of like "yeah that makes sense"

daily reminder that elliott smith was murdered and that the likelihood of "suicide" by two stab wounds to the chest is astronomically low.

>ALL MY HAPPINESS IS GONE

Attached: thumb_1378761183993_1024.jpg (646x812, 77K)

Attached: 1579145856615.jpg (753x707, 29K)

both david and stephen were handsome in a non gay way in the early days
david only started looking like shit during the time of bright flight when he started growing a beard. i read an interview which said david started heavily getting into drugs during the american water sessions, when a "friend" brought a suitcase full of them, entire sessions were filled with constant drug use apparently.

Attached: david_berman_stephen_malkmus_laura_anderson_bob_nastanovich_inline_07_full_bleed.jpg (2500x1682, 714K)

Me too user
Yes absolutely
Purple Mountains was his best work
A lifetime of drug and alcohol use will do things to a man
:( I guess he really meant it

semi charmed life / all my happiness is gone mashup

I can't stand these whiny "rock" musicians, even if they are "authentic". It's shit like this, and Kurt Cobain, that's responsible for rock music falling out of commercial favor and being replaced by shitty rap.

That's why hair metal, glam rock, speed metal, hard rock, exist. Alt-Rock has its own thing, eh?

The kind of thing I'm talking about really came about in the 90s. The heyday of the stuff you mentioned predates that

Bob Dylan went electric before Kreator wrote Coma of Souls senpai.

youtube.com/watch?v=0zVzxausyPo

>When the rain hits you
>it hits you slow

Attached: dismal.jpg (1092x1023, 52K)

what a faggot lol

Gotta give malk credit. He's aged pretty well

RIP to this amazing poet

"I saw gods shadow on this world"

i actually saw this
i know what it's supposed to be a cinema verite thing but it meanders a lot, it's worth it for the last ten minutes though

He cleaned up his look around 2010.

Attached: 1280155125berman.sm.jpg (380x255, 51K)

I believe that stars are the headlights of angels
Driving from heaven
To save us to save us
Look at the sky
They're driving from heaven
Into our eyes
And though final words are so hard to devise
I promise that I'll always remember
Your pretty eyes
Your pretty eyes

damn that is an incredibly rare pic of him, never knew that

Attached: EBvsXWTWsAAqdPl.jpg (1512x2016, 243K)

Has anybody read his poetry? Should I get into it?

wtf? i would have absolutely let him destroy my boypussy

Who is laura anderson?

some more early david
early times is underrated desu
youtu.be/uUu_0VjUx0I
went to the same college as david, bob, and stephen. took a bunch of photos of them in the first lineup of silver jews, probably an artist in some way or another

Attached: david_berman_2_inline_09_right.jpg (1000x1250, 138K)

Is it true that Early Times has artificial fadeouts on all the tracks? Read that on discogs I think and I got scared. I have the original Arizona Record but I want those first few tracks

i don't think so, though the recording quality is so shitty i honestly couldn't tell you if they are fake or not. i know some songs even stop mid recording/stop come back in. i'd like to think they're not artificial, and if they were, i can't think of one track that suffers because of it
i will admit drag city fucked up the release itself though, if they wanted to make an archival album they should've included the silver jews and nico split relase and hot as hell live 1993. there's even more unreleased stuff that could've been included, some guy found a tape full of half released stuff half unreleased
youtu.be/wy32wsD4raY

Attached: rod_beaver_david_berman_gather_pratt_inline_01_left.jpg (960x1403, 146K)

That outro is a weird head banger.

One of the good things about British culture is that there isn't the same stupid, meaningless, slave morality level of "respect for the dead" that you've all just demonstrated. If a British person thinks that someone was an idiot, they'll openly say so immediately after that person's death. I'm British. David Berman's talent was pedestrian, and his final "masterstroke", the self-titled Purple Mountains, was a mixed bag of occasionally interesting but mostly plodding duds that amounted to a mediocre venture overall. This is what the guy checked out on. This was his legacy. More of the same, Silver Jews, in a new bright shiny package. And you idiots ate it up. So fuck David Berman, let him rot as a footnote in music history and fuck his cult of loser fanboys who worship him for being dead and mediocre.

you okay?

no i don't really wanna die
i only want to die in your eyes

I remember seeing pics of him through the years and when he wasn’t “promoting” his work he looked clean cut and dressed up. pretty sure the unkempt look was calculated and part of his stage persona

i saw a random video of a poetry reading from him around 2012 i think when he wasn't making any music, he still had the beard and greasy look
i'm sure the ironic hipster look was part of his persona but it's hard to tell, he was genuinely fucked in the head sometimes and it's easy to think he just wasn't taking care of himself. he either had one of the worst cases of depression or was bipolar if i had to guess, that lyric about the hand shake in random rules makes me think that at least

Based and true
This is why the best music in the world was made in the 1960s in England.

unironically true

incredibly mediocre album that would be completely irrelevant if it wasn't some former indie starlets "comeback" and him dying

everybody forgets about stoner metal when this conversation comes up i thought we liked all that