Post-rock it’s a rebrand of progressive rock

Post-rock it’s a rebrand of progressive rock

Attached: 7841B167-8330-4F4A-ACC5-EEC49A1631FF.png (522x502, 282K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=B_1mHHEujN0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Post Rock
>Math Rock
Both of these are Prog Rock , Hipsters just don't wanna admit liking a "nerdy uncool" genre like Prog

i mean, i can see your point, but math/post and prog are very different still

you havent listened to enough of either

I am a prog, math and post-rock fan and I am totally aware that I’m a massive nerd

reddit

In many ways, post rock, specially the first wave was highly influenced by krautrock so it makes sense

next you'll say that psych rock and jazz fusion are prog too. learn the nuances, cunt.

All pop music is just rebranded classical

all rock is just rebranded blues

Fuck off tripfag

Reddit, you are reddit

first wave post rock is just jazz fusion

Attached: no.jpg (720x697, 38K)

>jazz fusion
>Early 1970s Mahavishnu Orchestra wasn't prog
?

It’s really not at all.

Except when they took the blues out like with punk, post-punk, even prog and pretty much all their derivatives...

Or even krautrock did that too.

It's a good thing I like prog

Attached: 51Os8ZkNZ9L._SX355_.jpg (355x314, 17K)

It isn’t. Post-rock is not concerned with traditional rock music tropes like prog is.
It certainly doesn’t have the structure of prog rock.

Bascially correct. Post-rock (math rock, noise rock, etc.) is a continuation of what was started by prog. It's sort of like modern music like Stravinsky's versus the preceding late romantic era with people like Rachmaninoff and Debussy. The difference between prog and post rock, though, is that, while prog artists attempted to be avant garde, they also wanted a big enough audience to make a stable career out of music and as a result ended up sounding sort of cinematic and romantic much of the time, and tried their best to go for sounds that people knew, but were still unique enough to really be art. Post rock does not give a single shit if people like it and for the most part is made purely for pleasure. This is supported by the fact that most good bands just make an album or two and then disappear. There are exceptions of course though. Post rock does not shy away from dissonance and fucky time signatures and in general is more accepting of creative freedom. Not that either is better; the desire of the prog artists to be accepted as "art music" lead to some very long winded and dream-like 15-20 minute songs, some of which were really well-written and unique to their time like Echos by Pink Floyd or a lot of Yes's earlier stuff. Certainly, I think prog lead to post over time. Sort of around the same time prog artists realized that the mainstream just wanted stupid shit to dance the discos to and academia would never take them seriously either is when post rock started to come into existence.

Attached: 60f9789ec14cdd574e872eac1527500cd32e65e8151b9097f54b5bb5b5ec3f7.png (1200x1080, 1.02M)

Idk man, this album doesn't sound like anything from King Crimson or Pink Floyd

Attached: R-1457769-1221196827.jpeg.jpg (500x500, 76K)

Noise rock is not post-rock. Noise rock existed long before post-rock.

Math rock has much more in common with punk than prog since it came from post-hardcore music. There is no prog influence in math rock.

Listen to Slint, for example. There is nothing prog rock about those song structures.

I don't really think noise and math are just in their own vacuums. Most good "post rock" artists have a really noisy math vibe going on a lot of the time.

I never said they were in their own vacuums. Noise rock has existed since The VU though.

Math rock came from post-hardcore stuff.

Unless you think a band like Fugazi is prog...

This is why you upgrade to metal. Post-metal and progressive metal are two neatly defined genres with clear differences.

For example these guys are considered "noise" but they themselves think it's sort of a stupid classification and they're experimental with their time signatures more often than not.
youtube.com/watch?v=B_1mHHEujN0
Slint is also considered "math" a lot but Tweez is pretty much noise/industrial sounding.

Metal is for manchildren.

Don't act like you don't go there, faggot.

Lightning Bolt is definitely noise rock.
They’re not post-rock though.

That might be true but I still don't think that, just because two things have different origins, means that convergent evolution can't happen, especially since most of the bands are in similar social environments. I mean Pink Floyd practically evolved from psychedelic music exclusively while King Crimson and Yes were more reminiscent of classical and jazz. Pretty sure Steve Howe of Yes was classically trained or something. But they're all just considered prog. Ten years down the line I think noise and math will both be considered part of the "post rock" movement, as just a broader generalization of a period of music, not really a genre.

>manchild
>The 20yr old's insult of choice

>There is no prog influence in math rock.
imagine unironically believing this.

Noise rock is not post-rock. I just explained that. It is a completely separate phenomenon that existed many decades before post-rock.

I have no idea what those bands you mentioned have to do with anything. The type of music they played was prog. They may have been trained in other music, but that’s what they played in those bands. It’s unanimous.

Listen to Slint. There’s no complex multi-section suites or anything like that. It’s a very straightforward punk influence.

Yes, not all math rock bands are influenced by prog, but many are.

We’re talking about the commonality of sound uniting them all, correct? Some individual math rock bands probably have Mongolian throat-singing, but that isn’t what defines what they all have in common.

>There’s no complex multi-section suites or anything like that.
Not all progressive rock follows in that direction, though. Take Van der Graff Generator after Godbluff, for instance. It was nowhere near as atonal as what they did before, but it was still very unique.
The Enid, too.

It doesn’t have to do with the atonality. It has to do with the “progression,” the sections of the song.
Prog doesn’t follow standard verse-chorus-verse like Slint does, which comes from punk.