NBA commissioner Adam Silver wants to give teams another trophy to play for during the season and has been looking to...

>NBA commissioner Adam Silver wants to give teams another trophy to play for during the season and has been looking to European soccer leagues for inspiration.

>Though he warned the ideas are still "in the conceptual phase," Silver told Marc Stein of the New York Times that the league is looking at two types of potential tournaments. One would culminate in a Final Four during All-Star weekend, while the other would take place at the end of the season, providing teams on the outside with a second chance at making the playoffs.

Based or cringe?

Attached: AAFB9A87-DE86-412D-8598-4A63034B6437.jpg (750x554, 338K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNB_Pro_A_Leaders_Cup
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I don't know about this

>Silver thinking about Gold cups

this will never fly. there are already too many games players don't wanna deal with some shitty mid season tournament for the "STERN" Cup. lol no player is gonna feel proud lifting the stern cup. he should do a tournament for the lottery teams that determines the pick order

Probably like an FA cup

>Providing teams on the outside with a second chance at making the playoffs;
So, basically, he wants to add wildcards to the format?

>tfw my Rapties win the double

Attached: 5858749E-ACDC-4670-A23A-2A13D27D735E.jpg (550x652, 77K)

>soccer-inspired
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNB_Pro_A_Leaders_Cup

lmao the pa would never do this

>every sportsball loses its own unique character and gets more indistinguishably semen-slurping like every other sportsball by the day
Fuck globalism

Relegation play-in between bottom NBA team and top Euroleague team. You can "tank for Zion" all you want, but if you lose you don't get Zion and you have to play games against, idk, Gaziantep Basketbol

lmao what a joke of a "sport"

>players who already sit our regular season games for being so meaningless are going to want to play tournament games that are more meaningless
imagine being a bigger embarrassment than david stern.

Incredibly good idea. Fixes everything wrong with the NBA in one fell swoop.

Gives every team something to play for all year so tanking is gone. Also keeps every team relevant so no need for players to form superteams since every team has a chance of winning something every year. Finally, it destroys the power of the NCAA and foreign leagues to poach players, since an expanded schedule would necessitate expanded rosters, so lots of young players or G League guys would get regular playing time with the NBA club during cup matches.

relegation between different leagues where one team takes over the relegated teams' city/stadium sounds both interesting and hilarious. It's a shame that owners and fans will never let it happen

I never understood why murrican leagues don't have a cup that goes along with the major championship, it's great for teams that would realistically never faced each other
specially considering how they're always after more money.

Cups are a meme but they are at least sort of fun because THEY INVOLVE TEAMS FROM DIFFERENT LEVELS OF THE PYRAMID!!! That is the purpose they serve, to allow teams from different leagues the opportunity to compete against each other. What is the point of a cup where all the teams are from the same league?

If Silver really wants a tournament he should try to organize a Club World Cup type thing with teams from all over the world. That I would care about.

We don't have pro-rel in any of our sports; we have minor leagues (like the G League) but these are maintained by the big teams for purposes of developing players, there is no chance for a G League team to be "promoted" to the NBA (and vice versa, an NBA team can never be "sent down" to the G league). In the NBA all teams play all other teams already.

???? I don't really understand your post. All teams play each other, but at different frequencies. NFL is the only one that doesn't, which is because there are only 16 games. They go on a cycle between divisions vs divisions over the years.

In NHL, each team plays divisional rivals 5 times, 3 times for teams in same conference (East vs West) and 2 games (one away one home) against non-conference teams)

wat don't you guys have west east bullshit?
since when will bottom of the barrel east teams face top west teams for example?

lol, literally every american sports league is the same shit.

>draft
>two conferences facing each other in the finals
>no relegation
>game rigging
>BBC all over the place

east and west arent separate leagues, they're conferences, you play the teams in your conference more often than the ones on the other coast, but each NBA team plays every other team twice each season, one home match and one away

soccer leagues have 35-40 game seasons. Hockey and basketball are 82, baseball is a genuinely ridiculous 162. East and west still play each other, just a little bit less. Only American football has an extremely short season (16 games) and it's probably not safe to put more dates on their calendar, guys who can still get big contracts retire at 25 because of concussions sometimes

ah, ok like mls, that makes more sense
I honestly dunno why I didn't knew this kek

They already do, during the regular season. Are you suggesting to make these games into some grand event?

>an eastern conference team will NEVER face a western conference team in NBA playoffs

Most retarded aspect of the league bar none. Imagine how many match ups and possibilities are being wasted with this retarded rule.

You better have made a typo I don't like people pretending to be retarded.

oh user, it's really not the same in a knock out competition where you can actually win something in the end. small clubs do crazy shit for a win.
I don't expect americans to get the cup pov tho, I know the cultures are not the same at all, but for countries where there are a lot of clubs, cup games are peak comfy.

what was the last "new trophy" that took off

>you wake up and the Atlanta Hawks are now officially Turkish

lurk moar newfag

>since when will bottom of the barrel east teams face top west teams for example
on Thursday idiot

My bad
>phone posting

Attached: 323ED1A4-F609-436E-95FE-B92EA604ADCD.jpg (1242x2208, 631K)

>every sportsball loses its own unique character

says the american with the shittiests ways to organize a league.

WTF, finally something based from this man!!!

This

This

But it’s been proven. Nobody gives a fuck about anything but the championship in their respective sport. You got Curry sitting out the Olympics. Trout sitting out the World Baseball Classic. Or any league taking the All Star game seriously.

Why tho? What benefit would Rob get from telling such an obvious lie?

Bump

Autism

I'm sure the players union is going to love 10+ more games a year on the same contracts

This would be better I believe yeah.

>jew is a cuck
who would've predicted it

This is a good idea. It would lessen the incentive to suck on purpose and take away the randomness of the lottery that everyone bitches about. But will anyone want to watch the Suns play the Pistons (or some other low exposure teams) even when it’s high stakes ?

PELINKA PELINKA PELINKA MOYA
V SADU YAGODA PELINKA, PELINKA MOYA

Pelinka is based. I love seeing Charlatans running sports organizations and all the bizarre stunts they pull