Boxing as a martial art?

Recently I took to learning about boxing because it seemed interesting to me when a friend start talking about the fighting styles of certain fighters and how they differ and how they adapt to opponents. I learned a bit about "in-boxing" and "out-boxing"? Still don't know much but it all seemed very interesting.

In terms of technique, is boxing really a martial art? A different friend had argued that boxing isn't really a martial art because there is a lot of rules in the sport that basically enable the sport. For example, not being able to grab opponents in certain ways etc.

What other techniques of boxing styles were most notable? I was actually just watching some videos on tommy hearns. Pretty amazing stuff even if I don't know about it much. I even made a small goal to learn how to throw a punch. I am 27 and never had to throw a proper punch in my life.

Attached: tommyhearns.jpg (1280x720, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

commandoboxing.com/boxing-styles-swarmer-slugger-boxer-puncher
blackbeltwiki.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=xL9TDcXvDCw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

bump

Yes, boxing is a martial art. Most martial arts have a lot of rules so that argument isn't that valid IMO.

Out fighters and In fighters can be divided in a couple more categories

Pressure fighter/Swarmer
Brawler/Slugger
Boxer
Boxer-puncher

commandoboxing.com/boxing-styles-swarmer-slugger-boxer-puncher

Western boxing has the best hand striking skills of any stand up system. It is indeed a "martial" art. It is the second most effective stand up striking art followed only by Muay Thai, with it's knee and elbow strikes.

Interesting. I wonder what kind of boxer I would be if I ever tried it. I probably won't ever join a boxing gym but it would be nice to learn how to throw a punch at some point. I might check one out.

Also, when you say stand up fighting art, what exactly do you mean? I assume its any type of fighting art that doesn't include grabs or stuff like submission holds etc.

To add to this, you can also consider conventional styles - fighting “behind the jab” i.e setting up bigger punches with a jab/using a jab to enter

and unconventional styles - like throwing haymakers with no setup, or using big overhands as a way to cutoff your opponents movement instead of a reliable way to deliver damage.

These can all be applied to each style mentioned I believe, similar to how orthodx or southpaw would be considered I guess

If you wanna learn how to throw a punch without going to the gym, I used this site, and they teach the fundamentals of the movement and shit, check it out if you wanna it’s: blackbeltwiki.com/
I’ve never looked at the boxing stuff there, but if it’s as good as the bjj stuff, then it should be a pretty good start for you.

But throwing a punch is pretty much just rotating your hips behind the punch, snapping your shoulder, and pushing off your rear leg. (Don’t make the mistake of snapping your elbow behind your punch and make sure to keep a strong/firmly wrist)

It was when Emanuel Augustus was fighting! youtube.com/watch?v=xL9TDcXvDCw

Boxing is probably the most useful martial art

>doesn't include grabs or stuff like submission holds etc.
There's stand up grappling, too. Stand up fighting is any fighting you do while on your feet, as opposed to the grappling you do on the ground.

Go to a gym and find a trainer. You'll learn to throw punches and also that the world doesn't end just because you eat a punch here and there.

what does it feel like to be punched in the head? Hell, what does it feel like to be knocked out? I can't even imagine the pain I would feel if mike tyson were to right hook my fucking head or something. I have never been punched in the head in my life.

Like getting hit in the head. Go to a boxing gym and find out. Don't let the TV and movies scare you, ranchers and diary farmers get kicked in the head by livestock and shrug it off every day, you'll be fine.

have you ever been knocked hard in your head before? when I was 5 I walked in front of a swingset, got kicked in my jaw and fell flat. I stood up in about 5 seconds and left without feeling any pain.
I always thought it was just an anomaly until I started boxing at 18, humans are incredibly tanky, it may just me, but as far as I'm concerned getting punched isn't that bad, especially if you let your head move with the blow.
Ask a mate of yours to throw a good hook at your cheek and see how it feels, you'll likely just shake it off .

Im a boxer and getting hit in the head you can't really feel it. Getting hit in the body can hurt though if it lands good. If you get hit hard in the head you can get a little dizzy.

Boxing is ok but it won't teach you actual useful skills like stuffing a single leg

if you don't shutup with that gay wrestling shit I'll stuff my single leg in your ass boy

*Takes you down*
*Chokes you out*
Nothing personal buddo

I bartended in downtown Milwaukee for a good part of my twenties. Wrestler Joe gets BTFO by some nig throwing a haymaker 9 times out of 10. honestly the dumbest thing anyone would do in fights over and over was go for a takedown. Basically whoever lands the first good punch wins overwhelmingly, and the idiot who tries to tackle the other guy usually ends up on the ground getting the shit beaten out of him. Going for a takedown in a bar fight is really not something I would advise anyone to do and I witnessed hundreds of them.

once got absolutely sparked out and it's like when you look at the sun and you get those eye floaters combined with your legs completely giving out but all in a split second and afterwards you're woozy

*gets uppercutted while bent over going for a takedown*
*dies*

of course it is, boxing came from Chinese martial arts and was adapted to what we see today

Attached: 1558646479522.webm (406x720, 2.95M)

>man learns a valuable lesson
Learning how to fall can not only save you from injury, but it can save your life. Judo, Sambo, BJJ, even Aikido all can teach you how to properly fall and break fall without knocking yourself out like dude in vid did.

Only the nose hurts,you barely feel anything on the other spots