The oldest football club in continental Europe is celebrating their 140th birthday today...

The oldest football club in continental Europe is celebrating their 140th birthday today. Wish them a happy birthday Yea Forums

Attached: 15281147-v1-fuss-div-st12032.jpg (1000x624, 264K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tony-collins.org/rugbyreloaded/2015/6/1/sheffield-football-rugby-and-the-origins-of-soccer
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Rules#Sheffield_and_London
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_v_Sheffield_(1866)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

why do they play with only 9 players?

>only 140 years
KEK why are soccer clubs so fucking baby?

why do they sit on random stools?

Happy bday

They're just the oldest still existing in fairness. There's a bunch which could make a claim to being older, but merged with a different club at some point, or went bankrupt.

Why are they touching each other like that?

i know a lot of really old clubs from the 1700s in england and even south american soccer clubs from the 1800s started as cricket clubs too. pretty interesting.

They're recreating the first team photo

So I guess the real question is why a bunch of guys from the 19th century were touching each other like that

Attached: FCSG.jpg (1200x939, 267K)

Yeah, there's some Danish club which could technically make a claim to being the oldest in Europe, but I think they were originally founded as a gymnastics club, and their football division was only founded later.

Hans (Joan) Gamper who helped found Barcelona was also an avid rugby player IIRC

Yeah, that's true. A lot started as rugby clubs as well because rugby football was codified before association football, but a lot of clubs swapped over through the years. Kind of interesting that it never happened here, since all our oldest clubs from the 1850s are australian rules football and rugby clubs still.

The rules of the sport didn't even really exist before then. I remember there was some match between two ludicrous teams in the 1850s or 1860s (Eton vs Oxford University or some shit like that) where the winning team won by a margin of eight goals and two touchdowns. Before about 1870, you could just make up anything.

Happy birthday brother

Attached: 1554032433825.jpg (1484x1015, 506K)

Cursed image.

>before about 1870, you could just make up anything.

We have to go back! Imagine having 'home rules' so that playing away was a genuine challenge.

But my iggles won the super bowl 15 months ago

Attached: A37B5876-5239-46EF-80FC-DA0EB7B28F1C.jpg (768x936, 293K)

At least St Gallen have a promising defensive talent right now

My Yeovil Town are in that image too. They got promoted through four divisions until they were in the second tier of English football, having originally been in the sixth tier when I started supporting them. Since then, they have been in freefall. I wouldn't be surprised if that image was made back when based Yeovil were a Championship team. The image is cursed; we must destroy it if your team is ever going to win anything ever again.

Also, don't throw snowballs at Santa Claus, you bastards.

Attached: skiverton-gwsc2-may-2006.jpg (600x518, 58K)

>brazilian green JUST teams
>no Juventude
Used to be a regular team in Serie A and won the brazilian cup, now it's more often than not in Serie C and sometimes even Serie D

Attached: images.png (500x500, 17K)

The JUSTice league unlimited

>touchdowns
Wait what

I read it in a book so I'm afraid I can't link you to a website, but here are some other places that discuss early football and mention touchdowns:

tony-collins.org/rugbyreloaded/2015/6/1/sheffield-football-rugby-and-the-origins-of-soccer

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_Rules#Sheffield_and_London

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_v_Sheffield_(1866)

Also this:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Determining_the_Outcome_of_a_Match_(association_football)#The_"touch_down"

Who's the second from the right?, I recognize his face

It's Tranquillo 'Hopp Gladbach' Barnetta

Hell yeah

Oh shit yeah from Leverkusen cheers

He's originally a St Gallen youth product and came back to them before retiring.

Fun fact: His brother's co owner of one of the biggest sellers of fan jerseys in Switzerland

You should add Hammarby

that kit is kino, what club?

FC St Gallen. The kit is just an anniversary kit though, which they've sold out

what are we waiting for?
mong

>only 140 years
>KEK why are soccer clubs so fucking baby
thats older than your country.

Enough for Scottish Premiership

>In case the ball goes behind the goal line, a player on the side to whom the goal belongs shall kick it off from the goal line, at the point opposite the place where the ball is touched by a player with any part of his body; but if a player of the opposite side first touches the ball, after it has gone behind the goal line of his adversary, one "touch down" shall be scored by his side, and in the event of no goals being got on either side, or an equal number of goals being got on each side, the side obtaining the greater number of "touches down" shall be the winners of the match
well that clears it up

Happy Birthday

Better than away goals