You may only post in this thread if your country has a chess player in the world top ten

You may only post in this thread if your country has a chess player in the world top ten.

Attached: top10.png (300x283, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasser_Seirawan
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

anand resurgence lmao

*Posts anyway*

Attached: 230701_default_vertical_small.jpg (229x304, 14K)

He has let winning positions against David Navara and Ding Liren slip in this tournament, I wouldn't call it a resurgence yet.

based

more like CaruANUS lmao

this post was made by So Gang

Based Norwegian chess poster.

lmao

Giri :DDDDDDDD

Good, Anand is BASED.
Would love for him to play in another Championship match, although no way he could win it. I just like him and think he deserves more love from the chess world.

He has been world-class for about three decades now. If he could get to the Candidates first, that would be nice.

Becoming World Champion is a three-step process, and each step is incredibly difficult.

1. Get to the Candidates
There's more than a dozen players who are "worthy" of playing in the Candidates, but only 8 spots. That means that there will always be people who should be there that are not there (Caruana and Grischuk in 2014, Kramnik and Vachier-Lagrave in 2016, Vachier-Lagrave, Nakamura, Giri and Anand in 2018). Getting there is not easy.
2. Actually winning the Candidates
What are your odds for coming out on top against seven world-class players over 14 rounds? Even the biggest favourite has probably no more than a 20% chance of winning the tournament from the start.
>Beating Magnus Carlsen in a World Championship match
Good luck.

Holy shit.
Whats the problem with foreigners and letter "щ"?

neighbour is Chinese, so I'm posting here based on association with her

Attached: MFW hifan.jpg (720x720, 78K)

Nobody thought he would return after the loss in 2013, but 2014 there he was.

I doubt he will play for it again, but when I talk to people (admittedly small sample size, I have few friends who follow chess at all) Anand seems to be viewed mostly as the placeholder between Kasparov and Carlsen and less as a chess great in his own right.

Psst - your "m" fell over.
Drunk, I suppose.

It is a common misconception that the generation of Anand, Kramnik and Topalov are placeholders as you say, but I think it would be more accurate to say that having several greats in this generation makes them seem less impressive when there is no standout #1. Given how Fischer, Kasparov and Carlsen are commonly seen as the greatest ever by many, I'd say Karpov suffers from a similar reputation, being the guy between Fischer and Kasparov, and not necessarily recognized as a champion of equal stature to the two.

>decide to use advanced search on FIDE
>turns out Syria actually has some active IMs and a dozen players over 2300
the more you know

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yasser_Seirawan

Not a sport you fucking nerd

You’re not supposed to post in this thread.

Yeah I know about Yasser, he was actually my father's childhood friend. I don't feel too bad about it because if he had stayed here he wouldn't have become the chess player he is, most likely. Chess is nothing more than a past-time hobby here.

how's the war going

reddit

As good as done for anyone who doesn't live in the north/far east. The damage is already done though, half of the country has been sent back to the stone age.

Ah yes, Anish Giri, true blooded Dutch chess master, is apparently 4th right now. Very nice to see a fellow Dutchman reach such heights on the chess world stage

Another autist filtered

NONE OF YOU PATHETIC HUMAN SCUM HAVE A PLAYER IN THE TOP 00001010

>he was actually my father's childhood friend.
Any stories?

What happened to So?

It'd be ш

Which one of those is a woman?

USA has 4 players above 2750. Truly a golden age for American chess.

Please don't be misogynistic.

Now that we have Dominguez are we officially the best chess nation in the multiverse and why is the answer yes

Why do you want fewer posters in your thread?

>the absolute state of anglos and Germanics

Rate sopikos house in Georgia

Attached: Screenshot_20190404-060835.jpg (1920x1080, 642K)

Attached: 3400245.jpg (900x600, 74K)

Karpov and Smyslov do not get the respect they deserve. You would think Tal was 100x better than them from the way plebs talk.

>karpov
>topalov
>kasparov
>kotov
>smyslov
>ponomariov
>kasimdzhanov
>shirov
>mamedyarov
>cheparinov
>radjabov
>vitiugov

am i missing any -ov bros?

Ngubuov

> World Champion is not American
> US did not win the Chess Olympiad

You need at least one to claim to be the best chess nation.

How do I into checkmates?

I can wreck any opponent, I've encountered, until he/she has just a king and one or two pawns left. After that, I shit myself and can't figure out how to finish them off. I make a smug face and offer them to resign, but one of these days it's just not going to work, and they are going to fucking humiliate me.

practice some tactics on lichess or other sites

a lot of the easier ones you get are just checkmate patterns

Huh, we actually have 11 active GMs. Didn't think we'd have that many.

Not a sport

Petrov

ah i knew i was missing an obvious one
>*added to list*

Watch me

Attached: 1549213317947.jpg (322x283, 18K)

My dad recently told me a story about my grandad, who was a decent chess player.
USSR times.
Grandad was traveling in a train to work in another city. He was sharing a compartment with another man. The road was long and the man suggested a game of chess to kill time, he had the board and all.

My granddad accepted, but the dude claimed that he is a pretty strong chess player so he'll give my grandad an advantage of one rook right from the start. Grandad shrugged and they proceeded to play. At first the man was playing pretty relaxed, but, as the game progressed he began to try harder and harder as my granddad was giving him a run for his money. In the end it was a draw.

The dude was pretty impressed and they became acquainted. Turns out this guy was Botvinnik. Granddad said he coldn't recognize him because he didn't know what he even looked like as TVs were very rare back then and you could only learn how a celebrity looks like from a newspaper.

So my granddad travelled in a train for two days playing chess with Botvinnik, pretty cool I think.

Attached: ccf3f0f7bf95199c27c84ee4d4fed376.jpg (1024x682, 110K)

>the state of Giri
Taimanov

nice story

I hope this is true but like, even with rook odds someone would have to be really fucking good to draw even a shitter GM let alone Botvinnik

Posting just because I can
btw op do you have like a program to automatically update this image, or do you go and download it by hand every single day?

I know this story sounds cheesy.
But I think with rook odds if you don't do stupid moves and just clear the board ASAP with tradeoffs then its possible to draw even a GM. It's not GM outclicks you in starcraft you know.

Are you a good chess player?

>Taimanov
FUCK

No, I don't play much chess and most games I played were against clueless opponents. Played with my grandad once when I was 13, he rekt me and then one month later he died, so I don't really know how good he was.