Why are Euro stadiums so small?

Just look at the top 25 biggest stadiums in pic related.
Most of the list is American universities. A small country like Australia has 2, while big countries like France and Germany don't have a single stadium that cracks the top 25.

Attached: stadiums.png (1669x885, 130K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kWXldy-IB2k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Because they don't have to fit Americans in

/thread

holy fucking roasted

niceeee

fwark, I want us to play a friendly in north korea now

American university campuses are sometimes sovereign communities or even cities with a ridiculous lot of space. Look at Ann Arbor, they have 300k in the urban area. Of course, Hamburg has almost two million inhabitants, but they also lack space so they cannot build over-dimensioned stadia. Or New Tottanham Stadium, which is smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood so 62k is the absolute upper limit here.

lmao

>Tottanham
just kill me

London alone has about 15 professional football teams. Other cities usually have 2-3. And that's just one sport.

There you go.

because every city has at least 2 relevant clubs

>best Korea #1
Based

Name them

America does also have far larger markets to draw capital from. The Dallas Cowboys are as a franchise worth more than the EPL.

Good question tbqh, probably has something to do with the lack of space since most stadiums are located in densely populated areas, as pointed out. However, that does not apply to all stadiums, some - the Allianz-Arena in Munich for example or even the Volksparkstadion in Hamburg since it's in a large park - could have been built considerably bigger. Bundesliga tickets are still relatively cheap and most big clubs could probably fill larger stadiums as well. It's not like every team could have a stadium with a capacity of 100,000+ since many cities and regions have multiple clubs fighting for visitors, but I think they could be bigger nevertheless. Maybe they kinda want to build some bigger ones now but don't want to tear the old (most are still relatively new) ones down because of financial reasons. Building such a huge thing and tearing another stadium down costs a shitton.

I only used the Bundesliga as an example since it's the league I know most about.

If someone actually knows or has a clue, I'd be grateful to hear it.

OH NO NO NO NO

Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea, Fulham, QPR, West Ham United, Crystal Palace, Millwall, Charlton Athletic, Brentford, Leyton Orient, Dagenham, Barnet, AFC Wimbledon

> biggest stadium for ausfags is for cricket
Literally KYS in shame

>"Gaylord Family Oklahoma Memorial Stadium"

>europoors can’t even afford house shoes

Nice try but that’s only 14

Cricket is based.

FP
BP

Euro stadiums are in the middle of cities rather than 2 miles outside the city limits so it’s really hard to get planning permission to just make a 100k stadiun without everyone else trying to leech off the project, such as the local council, local businesses, bus companies, train companies demanding they upgrade the whole infrastructure of the area.
Also in the past a lot of stadiums could fit 100k+ but then people wanted seats and in the case of the UK it became law to have all seated stadiums. The Valley in London went from like a 75k stadium to only 27k for example.

American teams are strategically located in big markets. A state usually has only one team and the states are same size as European countries.

The actual answer is that US college stadiums have benches instead of seats whilst euro ones have seats and safety regs that limit capacity

Also you can't just rinse the city into paying for the stadium every time here

Many stadiums reduced their Capacity after Heysel stadium disaster. Camp Nou, San Siro or Bernabeu exceeded 120,000 places.

OOF(would like, but in on Clover, you deserve all my likes, kind sir)

Epic

Wait, American stadiums have places without seats?
Can any American confirm this?

a lot of college stadium are like this with benches rather than seats

Attached: 1537629826072.jpg (665x441, 105K)

Because you don't build stadiums based on imaginary numbers. The cities' population, funds and fan base of the club play a vital role. Why would you decide to build a stadium with 150k seats if the seasonal percentage of sold seats in your current 50k stadium is only 80%? Most clubs in Europe are traditional clubs and have local support.

Attached: 1341744283634.jpg (142x165, 7K)

The MCG is used for AFL (when the is up and running) AND cricket (in the summer as that's when you traditionally play cricket)

*when the season is up and running

Watford

Nice one, Nigel

Judging by the sheer size, this stadium doesn't seem large at all. Football stadiums (as in: European stadiums) used to be able to hold larger crowds back when they had benches instead of actual seats as well. The Olympiastadion in Berlin used to hold 100,000 visitors in 1936, now it's 75,000. When teams now increase the capacity of a stadium, they just allow more people in the areas with standing places. Make the whole stadium 100% standing place or benches and you'll have a much larger capacity. The Maracana in Rio had an attendance of 200,000 once. But things like made the UEFA and FIFA think that you need seats in order to guarantee safety.

Yeah pretty much all college stadiums have bench seating
The American college teams sell out their big stadiums
Why do euro stadiums all have seats? Do they really need back support that badly?

based

They have to have seats because of the scousers crushing each other to death unironically

americans eternally btfo

why are american non-university stadiums so small?

It makes it easier for clubs and authorities to control their fans. If somebody is causing trouble you know where they are sitting and by extension what their details are from when they bought a ticket for that seat. On a terrace you can’t really find out the details unless you grab them and question them which isn’t an easy thing to do if they’re in the middle of a group of hooligans.

there's nothing else to do in shitty US college towns

Yeah we do, shitposting takes is toll so we all have very serious back problems. Add the fact that we're the product of long, incestuous relationships and you have a recipe for disaster.

NFL stadiums are all 65k-80k, not really that small just not big enough to make this list.
Jerrys World can be expandable to 100k

Could have sworn they were like 45k on average just a couple of years ago

OP walked right into that one. Well played sir.

There's still assigned in bench seating stadiums, and specific areas where you are supposed to sit.
People travel to college towns from cities, but nice try jose

This thread proved that America is infinitely better than all of Europe combined. It's true and you all know it.

Why do American stadiums not have roofs, they either go full dome or leave it fully open

There might be some shitty teams that had 45k attendance.
But the only team that has that small of a stadium is the Chargers due to the fact that they play in an MLS stadium while they're stadium is being built.
I don't understand why they didn't play in the Rose Bowl (the Rams are playing in the Coliseum), I guess they're just special snowflakes who would rather play in a small but new soccer stadium over the most historic football stadium

I feel like if we had benches here it would just end up as a defacto terrace. Having your own seat makes you feel more isolated.

Thats how it is with student sections, but i don't really see how it makes much more different than having seats. You can move to another seat just as easily as you can move to a different portion of the bench, and I imagine both happens often when there are a few empty seats

In the premier league at least games are pretty much always sold out so it’s not really possible to switch seats.

holy fuck Burgers destroyed leave this board now

oh my god, the poverty

What happened to that hue meme with muh 200k, did they finally demolish it?

>I need to have a back and armrests to enjoy a football game

Attached: manlet.png (497x617, 15K)

They renovated it, added seats and now it only seats 78k.
I don't know how the renovations reduced the capacity that dramatically, how tight were they putting them in?

>call Americans fat
>get dozens of likes
Yea Forums is finally good.

I went to an old lower league ground a few times that had bench seats but even that's been knocked down and replaced with a new all seater now.
Shit was uncomfortable as fuck. Everyone used to stand up anyway. In fact fans used to switch stands at half time, absolute chaos.

Attached: general-view-of-chesterfield-fc-football-ground-recreation-ground-saltergate-chesterfield-derbyshire (1300x956, 180K)

>howling mob of ticketless hues
pretty tight

youtube.com/watch?v=kWXldy-IB2k

make no mistake; the mcg is a footy ground now. It stopped being a cricket ground when the drop in pitches were installed.

Bryant Denny is downgrading from 101,000 to around 90,000 to make room for a big 'quality of life' upgrade.

Terraces used to get absolutely rammed until illsbreh. The Scottish Cup final once got 147k attendance.

Did yank stadiums ever have standing only?

My university's stadium does, but its a grassy hill and more of a something to give the stadium character than being cheap.
We could put seats in it, but its viewed at as traditional so nobody wants to get rid of it

If 96 scousoids died in a college stadium they'd have their capacity cut in half too

I hope for the world to end its persecution of North Korea and we can watch a CL final in 1st of May Stadium soon

liked and upvoted

Holy shit, so this is the famous british humor.