Samuel Sevian - Fabiano Caruana
Hikaru Nakamura - Wesley So
Samuel Shankland - Ray Robson
Varuzhan Akobian - Leinier Dominguez Perez
Timur Gareyev - Jeffery Xiong
Awonder Liang - Aleksandr Lenderman

Countdown and live games:
chess24.com/en/embed-tournament/us-championship-2019/1/1/1

For me, the biggest question mark is Dominguez. This will be his first classical tournament since November 2016. If he's rusty, he could struggle to score 50%, if he's in form he could very well win the whole thing. Other than him, the big three (picture) and the defending champion (Shankland) have to be considered the favourites.

Attached: chesschamps.jpg (2048x2048, 554K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bG8f8P4lHAo
shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/endgame-database.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Caruana takes it
cap that

Attached: 562Xco39205e75mfw28201iY.jpg (750x935, 56K)

On paper, he's the biggest favourite by some margin. If you told me to put money on one of the players, it would probably be him.

Caruana: 2828
So: 2762
Nakamura: 2746
Dominguez Perez: 2739 (inactive)
Shankland: 2731
Robson: 2667
Xiong: 2663
Sevian: 2642
Lenderman: 2637
Akobian: 2625
Liang: 2590
Gareyev: 2557

Bobby Fischer would heem everyone here

Fischer's peak rating of 2785 would have put him as #2 in this tournament. I think it would be fairly accurate to consider him one of the favourites, but not the runaway favourite, if he was alive and 50 years younger.

Hikaru is based

Reminder that Caruana is a choke artist

Attached: 1542626536237.jpg (960x720, 65K)

In my experience, Nakamura is the most likely to choke spectacularly among the favourites here.

Ah yes the quintessential american lineup

At least the American lineup is a world-class one.

Attached: Australia.png (755x649, 182K)

Glad to see So doing well

The games haven't even started, and even then, So is currently out of the top ten.

Attached: top10.png (300x283, 30K)

Caruana choked several winning positions versus Nakamura just last December

I think that had more to do with Caruana playing something less important right after the World Championship than Caruana being a choker in general. You shouldn't underestimate how much a WC match can take out of a player, and I'm pretty sure Caruana only showed up for the money and the contract telling him that he had to play.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
BTFO

Attached: 1547702699571.jpg (200x200, 17K)

I try to be helpful, informative and polite, but Australians don't deserve that.

Who will you be rooting for in this tournament?

I'd like to see either Nakamura or So do well since they fell out of the top class. I don't know too much about the younger guys so I just want to see who's strong and prospects for the future.

Stream?

Xiong, Sevian and Liang are all born in this millennium. They are certainly a generation to watch. Personally, I've been a fan of Shankland since the 2014 Olympiad, where he won an individual gold medal as reserve, and I'm also excited to see how Dominguez will perform in his comeback of sorts.

Stream will come soon enough, have patience.

youtube.com/watch?v=bG8f8P4lHAo

Isn't it in the OP? Event hasn't started yet.

Noice, thanks

It's going to start in just under three hours, since stating a time is going to be confusing for people in different time zones.

Shouldn't be a problem as long as you also list the timezone.

The younglings will get dabbed on by the boomers.

>01:50 on my side
Ah, so 2 bongs 39 bings to go.

Yes, and have Europeans, Americans and Asians figuring out the time on their own. "Almost three hours from now" is easier for everyone.
There are no proper representatives of the old guard in this tournament. Dominguez and Akobian are the oldest players in the tournament. I'd like to see Kamsky, but he's a shadow of his former self.
Until the broadcast begins, ten minutes before the actual games.

Broadcast commentary is fun too.

>Yes, and have Europeans, Americans and Asians figuring out the time on their own.
Surely no one here failed basic arithmetic right?

>Surely no one here failed basic arithmetic right?

Who knows?

Kamsky beat MVL a few weeks ago. He could have probably put up some sort fight this tournament.

I mean, if they actually have enough interest in chess to watch a chess stream…

He's semi-retired and has said that he has played his last US Championship, but yes, an in-form Kamsky is still dangerous. That particular Bundesliga weekend was one of big upsets, not only did Kamsky beat Vachier-Lagrave, but Leko beat Caruana and that one Ukrainian who looks like an obese toilet brush beat Anand.
Yes, but that is not the point. Just because something isn't hard doesn't mean something else can be even easier.

Feh, whatever. I'll just wait for the stream to start.

20 bings

Stream is live now.

/tg/ - Traditional Games

Board games, paper games, war games, card games, etc. go here!

nerd piece move is not a sport

Try not to get triggered while browsing the catalogue ok?

Janny should clean up all the other shit threads, before kicking chess to /tg/

Just got a Botez Boner, lads

based chess bros

If Maurice Ashley is commentating it means they're trying.

just because brits aren't good at it doesn't mean it's not a sport

>all but one of the matches are headed towards a draw
SEMEN
SLURPING
SPORT

Shankland has some space advantage against Robson, and Caruana might be beginning to work his black magic against Sevian.

>Janny should clean up all the other shit threads, before kicking chess to /tg/
Ah, you don't know apparently. /tg/ did/does not want the chess threads, and during the last Chess world championship, the mods decided that Yea Forums was the place for chess.

gareyev gon lose

I hope Robson has his passport ready otherwise he might be deported back to Sweden.

Robson was born on the island of Guam, which is US soil.

Liang has 3 pawns for a piece. Will he seize the reins?

Attached: Liang_Lenderman.png (347x363, 57K)

It's beginning to look like the two 2500 players both lose today.

>the city state of sing-a-POOr

bring back /cg/, the thread 2 days ago was fun

magnus absolutely btfo shankland during his banter blitz earlier

Was that while I was away from the thread? Did I miss it?

he said something about how shankland should be considered the favorite just as the cleveland cavaliers should be considered the favorites without lebron

Doing well in what exactly?

Which English lads should I be cheering on?

>all draws but Xiong game
based zoomer, showing how it's done to the boomers draw "muh preparation" machines

Michael Adams but he's shit now.

nnot a sport REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

There are no English lads in the US Championship.

Hi Magnus

Thanks, but my name is not Magnus.

>flag
Ok Magnus you can stop pretending it's not you

ah, just a pair of rooks now. Should probably be a draw, but both players are tired, and time is low, so, still a bit of mystery left.

shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/endgame-database.html

With six pieces left on the board, we have the truth here.

whew! draw.
Did you see the Gareyev-Xiong game? With 3.b4, 6.g4, 7.f3 ... fun!

If that's your idea of fun.

It's nice to see imbalanced games every once in a while that's not a Petroff or a Berlin

Fuck off with this shit

That's the Sveshnikov for you. There are other options than 1...e5 against the king pawn, you know.

>Sveshnikov
Yeah, but did you see Caruana use Carlsens sicilian? It was a draw right away. bleh. So i get excited to see interesting openings still being played like Gareyev's. But I'm an amateur, that's why. I get it.

Five draws, one win for Black. Where was I wrong?

Attached: 1542556637356.jpg (800x541, 138K)