Scottish-Irish-Welsh League

Tell me why this couldn't work.

6 Scottish teams: Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs, a new Dundee team
4 Irish teams: Leinster, Ulster, Munster, Connacht
2 Welsh teams: Cardiff, Swansea

The 4 provinces of Ireland would soon reach a high level like in Rugby, the Scottish teams would have a higher level of competition and the Welsh teams would be guaranteed top flight competition.

Fuck it, it's retarded.

Attached: great britain and little britain.jpg (900x900, 193K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Challenge_Cup
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Association_Board
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

it wouldn't work because every team in that list is a seller, all their best players end eventually in the premier league

There's only about 10 teams in the world that aren't sellers. Some leagues exist entirely to sell: Portugal, Netherlands, France.

Celtic would still rape everybody with Swansea joining the race for EL spots

Just have a british league.
Could also remove the regional meme national teams. Would to wonders for national unity.

Cardiff and Swansea would go into admin in such a league for one.

Also the Irish teams would get absolutely snotted every game.

Possibly as a regional first division where the bottom teams are relegated back to their domestic leagues. However, I doubt they will go for it because it would either give all the power to the Scots or the Scots would have to relinquish some power, also Cardiff and Swansea are established in the English league I don't know if they'd willingly give up that kind of money.

Swansea and Cardiff would never join, Irish teams would get zero fan support, logistically shitnconsidering that lack of support

The problem with Irish football wouldn't be solved by amalgamating all the teams into 4 provincial teams, John Delaney needs to be sacked and the FAI rebuilt with a focus on supporting teams and helping them start academies to improve their youth products.

Doubt Celtic would go for it, would lessen their star power of their league. Ireland would have to cannibalise their own league in order to set something up like that. Cardiff and Swansea probably would reject it believing they can make the premier league and the riches it brings.

>Tell me why this couldn't work.

Wales would lose massively

Playing with their English mates vs a shitter Isles tractor league

>Mo hasn't heard of Linfield - Glentoran.

This is why your proposal would fall flat on its face the moment it's uttered.

Attached: laughingtramps_zps015752e4.jpg (198x251, 9K)

>the shitter old firm
Aren't Glentoran doing absolute crap at the moment?

The travel expenses would bankrupt 80 per cent of the clubs.

This.

There's already a tournament like this anyway: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Challenge_Cup

It would be utter shit, like the SPL, League of Wales and Irish leagues already are.

I think you forget that Ireland's entire populace is unabashed gloryhunters that would rather die than support a domestic team

People would be much more likely to support a provincial team that plays to a decent standard than Muckers FC or Anto & Damo Rovers. It's hard to watch a league when you constantly have the feeling you could do better than some of the players.

Is this a
W O R L D
L E A G U E
thread?

I doubt you'd be able to have Scottish, Welsh and Irish teams at all times in the top flight. I think every nation should have at least a few teams in a top flight, if possible.

>Cardiff and Swansea would go into admin in such a league for one.
Like every time they get relegated from the Premier League?

>Also the Irish teams would get absolutely snotted every game.
Don't know about that. In the Pro14 and Rugby Champions Cup, Irish teams have the best attendances.

Why not? Look at what happened with the rugby teams. This is the same sort of thing.

This league would be bigger than the Championship. They'd have a higher guaranteed income.

What about Ulster rugby?

Not in the slightest. It doesn't cost a lot to fly across the Irish Sea. And the clubs would make a lot more more than they're currently making.

It would be better than the SPL because the bottom half of teams would be gone and the four provinces and Welsh teams would make much better competitors.

The support would grow as the teams got better.

The Airtrictiy League and the NIFL Premiership should amalgamate as should the 2nd divisions

That's an absolute no-brainer but for some reason hasn't happened yet.

Sectarianism

>This league would be bigger than the Championship. They'd have a higher guaranteed income.
Def wouldn't. A year in the Premier League is getting you £100m and money if you go down.

Wonder how far Celtic and Rangers would get in PL?

the moment you start picking achoosing teams for a new league is the moment you become a retarded plastic american
please fuck off

>implying the Welsh, the Irish and the Scottish are mature enough to look past their irrational hatred of us

>This league would be bigger than the Championship. They'd have a higher guaranteed income.

No it wouldn't.

>a new Dundee team

Attached: 96C67D4B-ECC5-4B28-A985-7365972D8616.jpg (555x585, 37K)

Look at Burnley in the table, that's Celtic

they would be newcastle+sunderland

>Celtic
Championship tier
>Rangers
League One tier

That's not guaranteed income.

Scottish clubs currently get close to what Championship clubs from TV rights.

Not at all. Ireland is untapped and the Scottish teams have a much higher ceiling than their current level.

It's the way to get around fans' reluctance to merge.

fuck you i'm from Dundee and fuck merging with each other who do you think we are some dingy shite(r) teams like Caledonian Thistle and Inverness FC?
I also hate the Irish with a passion because of their lucky Euro 16 qualification how the fuck did they not lose to Germany I'm still mad desu

Fuck you, dumb Dundonian. I didn't say to merge, I said to dissolve the two clubs and create a brand new one. It's basically the same as merging but you'll be too stupid to realise it.

>hate the Irish
Good, good. That passion will work well in the new league.

It is for Cardiff for the next three years and Swansea for the next two. You're not saying where your new league's revenue comes from.

Attached: file.png (615x723, 486K)

You didn't say how the new team would be you lying cunt

>Scottish clubs currently get close to what Championship clubs from TV rights.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

"No."

>that many people interested to see Bestika win Turkey again and again
[X] Doubt

It is. Scottish Premiership clubs get £40m for 12 clubs, EFL get £120m for 72 clubs.

Which isn't guaranteed. The money comes from Scotland, who will want to pay more for better teams, an engaged Ireland and Welsh fans wanting to watch their clubs.

What? I didn't say to dissolve the two existent clubs? No, lad, I didn't.

>Could also remove the regional meme national teams

Not when the IFAB exists.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Association_Board

>It is a separate body from FIFA, though FIFA is represented on the board and holds 50% of the voting power. As a legacy of association football's origins in the British Isles, the other organisations represented are the governing bodies of the game in the four countries of the United Kingdom. Amendments to the Laws require a three-quarter supermajority vote, meaning that FIFA's support is necessary but not sufficient for a motion to pass.

Not a chance in hell would the likes of the Welsh or Scottish FAs wants to give up that kind of power.

Could they beat Cardiff?

It's a hard thing to judge. Celtic can point to them doing well against English clubs in Europe but these are exceptional games in big tournaments where the little team (Celtic) can get themselves up for it. I don't think that week in and week out against Premier League opposition they keep up the intensity that allowed them to, for instance, tie Man City twice. If it was a relegation scrap at Parkhead, Celtic would probably win. If Celtic were sitting midtable and Cardiff needed a win, in Scotland or Wales, Cardiff could get a result.

>Leinster, Ulster, Munster, Connacht
Wouldn't work. First of all, there's the FAI/IFA issue. Secondly, Dublin produces pretty much all of Ireland's native players, and soccer barely has a footprint outside it. Best way to split things up in the Republic would be
- North Dublin (combine Bohs and Shelbourne)
- South Dublin (combine Rovers and Pats)
- Leinster (combine Dundalk, Drogs, Longford, etc)
- Munster (combine Cork, Limerick, Waterford, Cobh)
- North-West (combine Derry, Sligo, Galway, Harps)

>castlebar on the map
This was clearly drawn by a Mayo man. Castlebar's doing well to make a map of Connacht.

>Calling it soccer
trying too hard Paddy

Soccer's what I call it naturally. If someone says football to me, I think Gaelic football and I don't even like that sport. Calling soccer football wold be try hard. It comes about as naturally as calling a lift an elevator.

trying way to hard here Roibeárd

SPFL gets £20m total over 4 divisions, EFL gets £120m with £90m at least going to Championship teams.

When will the brits return Northern Ireland? Why is NI still allowed to exist?

When Brexit happens, if it does happen, Northern Ireland and Scotland will likely go.

NI is "allowed to exist" because it was majority Protestant, UK Loyalists at the time the rest of Ireland became a Free State, who did not wish to leave the United Kingdom.

>12 team league
Nah m8

Celtic
Rangers
Hearts
Hibs
Merged Dundee
Aberdeen
Kilmarnock
Motherwell
Cardiff
Swansea
Newport
Wrexham
Isle of Man
Dundalk
Cork City
Shamrock Rovers
Derry City
Linfield
Crusaders
Coleraine

£40m is for the SPFL (42 clubs)

The absolute fucking state of Scotland, even compared to other smaller nations.

Northern Ireland has been British for longer than the concept of a united Ireland has existed, Diego

What about a 'British Isles Cup'?

>top4 in the Scottish prem
>4 highest English clubs not qualified for Europe
>two highest placed Welsh clubs in England
>top in Welsh league
>top 2 in both Irish leagues
>highest placed club from Britanny

4 groups of 4, top 2 going into QF knockouts

So 2018 would have been

Group A
Celtic
Crystal Palace
TNS
Dundalk

Group B
Aberdeen
Newcastle Utd
Swansea
Cork City

Group C
Rangers
Leicester City
Cardiff
Coleraine

Group D
Hibernian
Everton
Rennes
Crusaders

Would be a way of testing the waters before introducing a full league.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO TRY A CHEESEBURGER BOBBY SANDS

UP TO OUR KNEES IN FENIAN BLOOD

Attached: BIGJOCKKNEW.jpg (225x225, 6K)

>implying Scottish independence and Brexit arent memes.

>scotland will leave because of brexit
Do people other than snp babbies actually believe this? The rest of the uk is far more important to the scottish economy than the eu

no but the EU will take extra good care of Scotland it's better that they have a close connection to the EU than with the UK, it is good for the economy :)))))

When have facts ever stopped anyone from anything?

You basically mean the Scottish Challenge Cup

Scotland has about as much away as Greece if it joins the EU

Wheres Wales and Ireland?

Same place as Malta and San Marino

I'm shocked at La Liga not being #2. Barcelona and Madrid are most famous continental clubs in muttland.

This was from a few years ago, data may have changed but the idea is the same

Also until recently (changed now I believe) teams negotiated their own TV deals in Spain, so Barca and Real got vastly more than any other club

Attached: file.png (784x584, 162K)

Well keep in mind Germany and Italy are a lot richer than Spain

It would work. It's worked well in Pro14 rugby.

Revenue would be disproportionate to policing costs.

rugby does this and have a look yourself to see why it doesn't work

Merge the two existing Dundee clubs and call the new team 'Dundee United'

Attached: 1552942461791.jpg (400x300, 47K)

>First of all, there's the FAI/IFA issue.
I wouldn't say that's too important. You don't need a combined association to have a combined league: look at the Pro14.

>Secondly, Dublin produces pretty much all of Ireland's native players, and soccer barely has a footprint outside it.
This can change. It used to be that most of the rugby players were posh boys but, with funding and good recruitment, that changed.

It's £40m now.

If that is the case, i'm sure the majority goes to the big boys. Since there are only 12 teams in the Scottish Premiership, it works out about the same.

It worked very well for the Irish teams. Rugby took off and attendances grew to the biggest in the Pro14. There was a bit of problems with the Welsh teams because fans wouldn't support a team from another area but that wouldn't happen here. Even with a new Dundee team, everyone is still from Dundee, so they will still support it.

Travel distances for a start, they're not even the same island. Plus merging the Dundee teams and the Irish clubs into contrived provincial teams is a fuck you to fans of the existing teams