Baseball is dying

>Baseball is dying
>Bryce Harper and the Philadelphia Phillies have agreed to a $330 million, 13-year contract, the largest deal in baseball history.

lardcollide and apehoop fags BTFO

Attached: AP_17086730801525_p9ao36mg_zhbno99i.jpg (685x900, 56K)

>13 year contract for an already washed hitter who will be shit no more than 5 years into his contract
>stickball
what the hell were they thinking
also baseball is more boring than football

Attached: moe.jpg (500x449, 19K)

Baseball is the only true American sport. Everyone in this country should respect it even if they don't like it.

Universal DH incoming.

>.248 BA
>1.5 WAR

Oh no
OH NONONONONO
BA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAGAGAGAAGGAAGGAGA

As a mets fan I am glad the phils spent so much money on an absolutely average player

As a fag, you should cut your average dick off

>paying a DH 25 million a year

BASED AS FUCK.

>MLB Wants shorter games
>Actually thinks they'll institute universal DH

>13 fucking years
>330 millions dokkars
>13 years
>for a 26 years old meme player
>no trade clause
>will be 3 fucking 9 by the end of his contract
>13 years
MY LELLIES FUCKING WHY

It's not really a sport much more like a game.

Baseball is just broken and stupid, I never thought I'd see a day when .250 was good enough for record breaking contract, what happened to free agency? jesus christ he's making the entire yearly salary of Green Bay, Wisconsin in a single year.

AROD During his three seasons in Texas, Rodriguez led the American League in home runs each year. He led the AL in total bases twice and was second once. He ranked first in the league in RBIs once and placed second and third the other years. He won the 2003 AL MVP award and Gold Gloves at shortstop in 2002 and 2003.

Lets see if Bryce can magically manage that lol

you guys will be fine. he is so hateable. and you guys love to hate.

what is a bunch of manlets jogging for 90 minutes then?

really though paying a useless outfielder that much until he’a 39 (thirty nine) years old? insanity.

>What is inflation

not to mention that John Wall is gonna be making 40 million a year for being a fat coon

that's a lot of batteries

Orson.jpg

>13 YEARS >ILLIES >13 YEARS >ILLIES >13 YEARS >ILLIES >13 YEARS >ILLIES >13 YEARS >ILLIES >13 YEARS >ILLIES >13 YEARS >ILLIES >13 YEARS >ILLIES >13 YEARS >ILLIES

Attached: 1425608459860.jpg (294x361, 60K)

The Phillies only signed him so someone else wouldn't. It's the same reason why the NFL's Minnesota Vikings gave
>eighty-four million dollary-doos GUARANTEED
to Kirk Cousins, a garbage quarterback who crumbles against good teams but was the "best" player available on the market, at least at the quarterback position. And at least that was only for 3 years. (Ironically, his contract's AAV is MORE than Harper's $25 mil for this deal.)
Expect Philliefags to be rioting in the streets in about that many years when Harper is completely worthless except as a DH.

Attached: patrick shig.jpg (250x250, 44K)

>magically

Attached: BC66A140-0829-4ED7-9558-40B4BBF8337B.jpg (474x296, 34K)

you should take solace in the fact that Michael Conforto has provided about the same amount of value as Harper has over the past 3 years.

have fun sucking and paying bobby bonilla

>BA
useless stat for BB machines like Bryce

jeez why does baseball have such long contracts

Yes. Dying sports usually do make poor business decisions.

Players union is really strong.

>put the ball in play successfully barely quarter of the time

>good
Yikes

Even in the most boring 0-0 draw in soccer, more shit happens than the most exciting luckswing games. Your "sport" is garbage. The only thing worse is cricket.

Jews

>Lead the league in walks

>Not good

Harper also won NL MVP in 2015

lmao, watch out for ICE chico

Why the fuck would you make a 13 years deal?

>Why the fuck would you make a 13 years deal?
Bad contracts in baseball aren't really punished all that much, since no salary cap. They're basically hoping to get about 5 great years and then it's who cares.

Why didn't they wait for trout?

Why not just make a 5 years contract? I mean, it's also good for the player, what if he wants to change teams?

>baseball is dying

Been hearing that for bout 9 years now lol

Now he's not only the most overrated player in baseball but also the most over paid
Congrats phils

Sometimes. there's an early opt out for a questionably long contract. Look at the Giancarlo Stanton contract

Unlike shit sports, if he starts to suck it up he won't command a "max" level contract just because of his name.

There’s no opt-out clause in his contract.

That sounds cool. What did the Nats win in 2015?

>phillies
I guess he doesn't care about winning

retard

But Mexicans in america love luckswing.

Many players build in clauses where they can get out of the contract after X Years, but they like having the large years built in because if they suck or get hurt they can just ride that contract well after their sell by point.

scott boras

you mean Ricans and Cubans and Salvadorians maybe.

Probably. I'm in the middle of the country, none of them are here.

based

Oy vey why are we paying these goys so much for a raycist sport!

Why the fuck was he signed for 13 years!!?!?!??? He’s 26 years old. He’s 39 at the end. He’s gonna be shit after 5 years. Already is mediocre.

Think of it a bit like a retirement plan to entice the player to sign. Sure, 300 million over 5 years would also make sense, but I don't think owners want to spend that much per year, so they'd just rather spread it out.

It's also kind of like credit. You're making "payments" over 13 years for the production you hope to get over 5.

did they just sign the entire nationals team to a huge contract or am i missing something

probably the contract has less money at the end when inflation and the luxury tax are higher. fyi Bobby Bonilla gets a 1 million dollar check from the Mets every year despite being retired since 2001

My mate told me this guy is the future GOAT and that this contract allows the Phillies to go after Trout.

He says he expects at least 5 rings until Harper's contract is done. He's from South Philly and a season ticket holder for the last 10 seasons

is this a soccer pasta?

????

Bro, im just telling it how it is

Is he the Messi or Ronaldo of Baseball?

Who is a slightly above player in soccer that is perceived as a game changing star? That's who this guy basically is.

I'd say prime Beckham

I'd watch baseball more if there weren't so many games. Same thing with basketball. I mostly care about highlights, scores, and stats during the regular season and then watch the post-season. Also the games are rarely on TV except post-season, and I don't feel like streaming them.

As a Philliefag I usually get annoyed at Orson Welles shitposter, but if he can into this thread with his mocking laugh I'd have to agree with him. This will turn out to be a disaster by the time he's in his early 30s.

you're supposed to follow one team, and you're supposed to have them on in the background and really the radio is an equal experience so you don't even have to watch. Go to a live game every couple of months as well and you'll enjoy the sport.

nevermind, he was already here I hope they bought some insurance on that contract.

Bale

>.900 career OPS
>not a good hitter
Boomers deserve the rope

He lives entirely on 2015 hype. Granted, his 2015 season was really fucking good, but this is a guy which since then has oscillated between a legitimately good and slightly better than average. Unless he puts in multiple 5+ war seasons there's no way this contract even comes close to being worth it.
Fuck, I'd be more comfortably signing kris Bryant to this contract than Hooper

Jordanfags should be gassed. An overrated player in one sport has ruined the discussion of all other sports.

>.900 career OPS
>slightly above average
Pick one

Why didn't they do this for trout?
They could sell at least 2 players by getting him.

This sets a horrible precedent for the future. How much is Trout going to be worth? Fuck.

DELETE THIS

Never heard of her

Crazy thing is Hopper had a bad year by his standards. Imagine what Trout gets playing to his god tier standards

Harper hasn't had a season worth $330 million since 2015

no, mexifags also love beisbol
t. arizonafag

Welcome to Phillies Bryce Harper I Best Homeruns and Highlights 2019

Attached: bryceharper.png (680x680, 744K)

why is the union so strong compared to the other sports

10 year $500 million guaranteed.

Attached: threehundred k starting.jpg (640x427, 45K)

He hit .319 with over 1.000 OPS in 2017

They're not stupid niggers who spend their money on gold ropes and shitty mcmansions, so baseball players can actually go through a cancelled season and squeeze the owners for everything they want.

>this sets a horrible precedent for the future
Take it up with A-Rod in 2003 you fucking underage retard

Wtf. How can a literal who playing a simple kids game earn so much? America is a mystery to me

There's a shitload of money compared to every other sport, so the owners are willing to spend and the players. Obviously the NFL makes a lot of money but it's more of a tv show than a sport, and there's 53 guys on a roster.

How can a once great country be reduced to worshiping a gay man?

As a fan of Mets incompetence I was saddened to hear the Phillies can't defer on the contract and pick up the torch after Bonilla Day ends... in 2035

Eeeeeeh not that based. If people would listen more to the NAACP it would be based, but as is there are still a ton of black people.

Mookie is up first as well, so he'll get 400 first

>The average age of a baseball viewer is 57, up from 52 in 2006. There won’t be a youth movement, either, as just 7% of baseball’s audience is below age 18.
>the article I stole this from is 3 years old

What happens in 9 more years and that average age is 63, then 70? It will go down then... because all the fans are dying. The sport is literally dying.

Literally 80% of the pavilions in Dodger Stadium are Mexicans

Los Angeles isn't in the USA

>the article that told me boreball is dying!
Article from where? the undefeated? lmao

Attached: smug wahoo.png (386x500, 77K)

Los Angeles is the future once the Dems bounce Drumpf out of office.
Embrace the brown.

Attached: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez 2.jpg (2594x1945, 810K)

Baseball had the most successful strike in sports history in 1994, it took 5 years for the owners to get revenues back to normal, it's strong because front offices actually respect the Union

As a Barves fan I'm annoyed I'm still going to have to watch him the same amount each season for 13 more years

As another Mest fan, I agree with you.

>orange man good
>brown woman bad

I'd hit it for sure

1/10

>How can a once great country be reduced to worshiping a gay man?
To be fair, the stuttering made it entertaining and whether the tranny "wife" would be revealed kept people hooked.

jews

who gives a fuck what they like they have to go back

>brown woman bad
Well she's a fucking retard so yeah.
>the city of Boston College

brown women are objectively bad though fren

it is dying Bryce and Trout was supposed to get $500/10 but the stat geeks ruined the sport and now after them no one will get more that $75/4

So contracts are so fat that, if they went for a 5-yr deal like that other guy suggested, the player would likely demand 300m or something close or 60m a year?

The money he is making per year is not crazy stuff, alot of NBA players win +25 million yearly.

This is why the Tiggers still owe Cabrera for the next 8 years or so. Athletes make too much.

On much shorter terms. Basketball isn't really a fair comparison to any sport though, because a single player is much more valuable to and a bigger part of the team than in any other sport, which is compounded by the endorsements they get. Bryce is one of 9 men in the lineup at any time, and a team still needs pitching.

Look at it this way: Boston currently has the highest payroll in baseball, and they're paying 228million to ~40 players. Golden state has the highest payroll in the NBA, and they're paying only 137 million to ~15 players

>13 years
shig