This is a “”punk”” band in 1986

>This is a “”punk”” band in 1986

what the fuck happened?

Attached: 91219A72-4B21-4745-A232-D7458DFC21B5.jpg (545x297, 61K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NnUccaL1vc4
youtube.com/watch?v=gi36-nOSWEw
youtube.com/watch?v=a7or6-7QRog
youtube.com/watch?v=9IW8FGP1GG4
youtube.com/watch?v=6z4hk6Z4sTU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

*glances down at Land Speed Record shirt and grinds teeth*

>""""This"""" is a """"quality"""" """"thread"""" in 2019
what the fuck happened?

they were way better when they didn't sound like a crappy version of REM

>moustache guy is the only heterosexual

the more things change, the more they stay the same

they were good guys :(

Zen Arcade is better than any rock album from the current century

They were based gay men doing punk. Not faggots

Double Nickels >

I think if punk can be boiled down to two demographics, there is the idea of punk being music for the poor disenfranchised and pissed off street toughs who like to drink and/or drug and/or fight, and then the idea of punk being music for the arty farty and often college and art school kids who just like to bitch and be contrarian about everything but aren't really all that actively rebellious or dangerous. This is really something I've learned on this board because all I've ever known were the former, and this board's taste in punk is drastically different than anyone I knew who identified as "punk" growing up, which were all leather clad, mohawked, or skinheads and hated pretty much everything people like on here.

this is true, pre-internet
but now that we have the internet, we have larping zoomers

Can you shoot some pissed off punk band suggestions my way

Hüsker Dü are one of the greatest bands of all time.

Here's another punk band from 1986.

If you really want to know what happened, the spiky, colorful punk look of the London and LA scenes got even more extreme with the street punk/UK82 scene, but American hardcore went in the opposite direction, with the fashion getting more minimal and functional - crew cuts, t-shirts, shorts, sneakers, etc. But American hardcore was very scene-conscious, so anyone outside of the elitist scenes in cities like LA, DC, Boston, New York, etc. was automatically considered "uncool." Because Hüsker Dü were from Saint Paul, they were already considered outsiders to the punk scene, but that meant they didn't feel the pressure to uphold hardcore's purism. Because of that they could dress like normal people, and experiment with actual pop song craft. That freedom is pretty much why Minnesota bands like The Replacements and Hüsker Dü, and the early grunge bands in Seattle and Portland, were able to effectively create alternative rock. Incidentally, that outsider freedom is also why the southern punk/metal scene merged into sludge metal.

Attached: 424f05f075c5816d5d67aee77c294dad.jpg (960x826, 145K)

Good post.

They made music that was outside of being punk while still being "punk". You're just whining.

bump

Everything after Zen Arcade was kinda ehh if I'm being honest.

It's weird because I like Sugar a lot, but the shitty production on Husker Du's later albums just annoys the shit out of me. It's like just commit to being a shitty college rock band already, don't go halfway and pretend to still be punk.

All punk is and always was the latter. Punk culture is no less of a pretentious and phony clique than any of the "high culture" punks claim to reject.

What's the guy on the right playing?

BRICK ON THE HEAD
TOP OF THE CEILING
URBAN SNIPER
URBAN KILLER

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Attached: 1238450350485.jpg (400x400, 243K)

They had Mario as one of their members lad. They were doomed from the start

THESE are the CHAD art-school punks, no one will top them.

youtube.com/watch?v=NnUccaL1vc4
youtube.com/watch?v=gi36-nOSWEw
youtube.com/watch?v=a7or6-7QRog
youtube.com/watch?v=9IW8FGP1GG4

based

sure they were basically just indie rock by that point, but if you think punk is about dressing and acting a certain way to fit in you're retarded

this is a fucking idles thread satire dumbasses

they were definitely the first onions punks. but they made good music unlike today's punks

>it used to be about the music
damn

Metal happened

I feel the same except for a few songs. Especially on Flip Your Wig, holy christ does that record have some great songs (as well as some shit)

THE BEST WAY TO SCARE A TORY IS TO READ AND GET RICH

Attached: LennyThumbsUp.gif (300x225, 1.04M)

I’m parodying that faggots post about Idles. That’s all

I guess people enjoying themselves must trigger /pol/fags real bad

>chad punks
youtube.com/watch?v=6z4hk6Z4sTU

Isn't it amazing how you think post quality can't possibly drop any lower and then it just keeps doing so endlessly?