KORG VOLCA

So are they just toys? Which are worth getting for total noobs? Want to do mainly (dark) ambient stuff

Attached: DDC69E55-6B43-4F3D-86EB-524430D681E0.jpg (600x485, 56K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zZ4xlt2jiA8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=MRR-njBYFps
73-75.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/73-75-build-instructions-4.pdf
elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/d77_Serge_Modules.html
serge.synth.net/documents/kit/positive_slew_st.htm
serge.synth.net/documents/1976sergemanual.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

is this the c-comfy synth thread?

Yes, sir

I got the volca beats to use as a drum machine but the sixteen step limitation is a bitch even with song mode, FunkBox for life

>Buying this trash
>Buying this trash and putting it on a rack

volca bass is like 120. its almost worth it.you can use them if you smother them in reverb but i'd reccomend just saving up and getting a slightly nicer synth. The minilogue XD outshines these in every way

>Hardware synths in 2019
If you're going for something classic like a minimoog or a cs-80 I can somewhat understand, but soon even those will be obsolete

phew I was getting worried

Attached: 504EEFBF-3042-4C32-B6F7-C5C30FC86DBA.jpg (3980x2752, 3.83M)

>5 Posters

lol

yes, yes, we all know vsts are great and superior in every way. I like owning hardware because its fun there is absolutely no advantage to physically owning something. i am a complete cuck you are right. the future is digital emulation, the future is being plugged into a computer like it's a dialysis machine, the future is very cool.

>8 posts, 6 uniques
You’re not gonna make it synth fags.

When is the FUCKING Crave dropping Uli you piece of shit

What?

The RD-8. When is it dropping?

What do you mean what
youtube.com/watch?v=zZ4xlt2jiA8

They just started shipping

all behringers have this weird sound I'm going to call "autistic mids"

Hey user, what’s your setup for today?

I fucking love these things - people can say what they want, but for the price you can't really get better
Go find a used Keys, FM, Nubass/bass, or whatever and proceed to have shitloads of fun for days
If your really thinking, can I make it do xyz? Then go watch some people do crazy sessions youtube.
Based and waveform-pilled
I can see this, but honestly for the price of a minilogue you could grab a couple modules + mixer. But this is if you don't mind not having a keyboard...

Speaking of which, anyone try or fuck with the Roland Boutique series? I think if you like the volcas but want more synthpower / keyboard this is the way to go...

Attached: boutique-blog-2.jpg (800x800, 141K)

I can sympathize with the Luddite mentality but I reserve that thinking for acoustic instruments. Any hardware synth can be replicated with software

I've had a volca sample and a tr-08 and I like them the same. the 808 is quirky af but definitely useful too. honestly the knobs are too small.

I hear that alot but I have small and fast fingers, perfect for mini knobs/sliders
Also did just get a Electribe (still waiting on FedUp to get here with it...) to have something a bit more powerful than a sample volca or 808, as it has a cheap kaoss pad and effects built in
Maybe when I have some more cash I'll look into something for MIDI fuckery (and a Mic, still don't have one...)
Erm, would you recommend something for MIDI? I focus on industrial/dark ambient/experimental stuff

my professor let me mess around with a few of them. The vocoder one was fun to use, and I really liked the JX-03. The SE-02 sounds good though. I'd really like one

They get a lot of hate, but I've made a lot of songs with the FM. It kinda sucks as a DX7 clone, but just being a cheap FM synth with knobs makes it worth buying imo. The Sample and Drum also seem cool.

every Elektron has capable midi afaik. You might like one of the Yamaha Reface series or even the MX49.

my dudes should i buy this or not?

Attached: po33.jpg (700x700, 66K)

About to read some of this fine book.

Attached: D9AB627D-D51D-42BE-A922-4BDE58BBA772.jpg (4032x3024, 2.18M)

I got one on launch and never figured out how to use it. might just be a brainlet but for some reason i just couldn't get behind the workflow

suzanne ciani was a cutie and made me realize i want a synth gf

>So are they just toys?
All instruments are toys

yup

Attached: 4A455F90-05AA-4309-8C0B-5D0FCD1588C1.jpg (4032x3024, 2.28M)

Thanks for the recommendations, user. SE-02 looks fantastic
Nice gear, user, and the Reface might be what I look into
I've heard those things are alotta fun and great experimental noise machines
Do it, user. There is literally no reason any electronic artist or one that uses electronics should not have an understanding of waveforms and signal processing.

I got a story where I literally taught a guy trying to get a PHD in music theory just that
> Be in a semi-underground coffee shop, drinking coffee and writing/doodling on ThinkPad
> Hear him discussing digital recording
> Introduce self as he gets up for refill
> Talk to him about digital vs. analog because he thinks there is a way to get perfectly clean audio into a laptop
> Push discussion into ADSR, signal processing and speed thereof, and synthesizers
> Spend next hour drawing waveforms on scratch paper and try to shove all the info that took me months to learn into minutes
> He leaves, thanking me repeatedly as I step out for a smoke
> dididogood?.wav

Attached: 1200px-Waveforms.svg.png (1200x1034, 82K)

Kill yourself

>el goblino
¡Ay, Dios mío!

Good job

Looks like a couple pages cover basics of synthesis but its more in-depth look at modular patching techniques illustrated with lots of examples using many different brands’ modules...sorta exhaustive owners manual for what modern and vintage modular synth modules can do...i.e what to do with that envelopes EOC trigger etc.

they did a good job, looks very polished

Attached: E7C62885-1BC1-4D77-9121-10090FFF81C5.jpg (4032x3024, 2.47M)

>11 Posters now
kek he's been trying to get a synth thread going for weeks now and it always dies as soon as he has to go to bed and stops bumping it himself. you'd think he take a hint after a while but nope

I've owned a few and my favorite is the FM, really flexible and gets a lot of use due to size/convenience. Also has parameter automation sequencing and the option to record/play sequences at 1/2 or 1/4 of the default speed.

that’s my post you were referring to ;)

honestly hope our /prod/bro keeps making these threads so I can post pics :)

Attached: 19C7D077-045A-4611-BA1D-FCE186DE2057.jpg (4032x3024, 2.96M)

Woops wrong pic ;)

Attached: 6F3BD0CE-B376-4580-8EF1-B2266B1C58FD.jpg (1972x214, 137K)

>i'm a loser who talks to myself
we know

huh?

Attached: E89F5DE9-ECA8-46AD-B557-39C401C068BC.jpg (4032x3024, 2.52M)

teebeeaych you're the daniel johnston of sperging out about gear

oh, how’s that?

Attached: D41524E0-0181-4AB2-A08C-35E61A9DAA51.jpg (4032x3024, 2.94M)

Still, good shit. Going any further is basically electrical engineering that ends in a speaker output
All of my dreams, in one synth gf
wow, its almost like synths and hardware are a small group. Its almost like that the few who hold an interest in something not vst plugins have something worth sharing and like to show gear to others who hold an interest! Maybe even discuss the ins/outs of stuff! Wow, and it even gets more replies and posters than the shitty "this album sucks" threads, and the few that get more movement are K-POP and Guitar General!

this guy was involved in the book, he does pretty good module demo videos too. for example this seven part look at the Serge DUSG
m.youtube.com/watch?v=MRR-njBYFps

serge modules are soooo deep the many different functions they can do depending on how you patch them, patch programmability as serge says.

Attached: D878C70C-5719-4E19-8B33-708B63B12994.jpg (3188x2534, 3.02M)

>9 posts later
>12 posters
lol i'm 13

That's, thats so fucking cool. I need to get my soldering equipment set up and buy an oscilloscope, this is inspiring me to build some modules.
synthboneractivate.exe
And your covers keep giving me ideas on how to make those modules aesthetic
Did you build these or buy them?

bought that wooden box/brass screws one. almost finished building these paper-circuit Gongue dual pingable filter and several pulse Rolls to crosepatch and ping it. You make your own pcb from thin cardboard with the “circuit” glued to it then just punch holes and insert the parts, flip it over and solder along the lines. easy and dirt cheap if you buy large bits of resistors etc.

then you can mount them in whatever enclosure you want...I have an old wooden cigar box that’s going in.

Attached: 65E837D8-BE3B-44FA-ACA3-CC896D41D09B.jpg (3619x2713, 2.09M)

>2 posts later
>13 posters
lol i’m at least seven of them

Thanks for the info, I have some 555 timers and some cheap potentiometers, got any resources for synth modules? Like, any actual schematics I can fork through?

here are the schematics for all the modules of these two serge panels I just built, just scroll down through for each modules schematic
73-75.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/73-75-build-instructions-4.pdf

Catgirlsynth also has all the schematics and calibration instructions for allmost all of the serge circuits going back to the beginning. they sell the pcb’s, but not panels, too if you don’t wanna etch your own. you might have to dig around a bit but you can also find old kit manuals for serge with further info and mod info etc.
elby-designs.com/contents/en-us/d77_Serge_Modules.html

Attached: 2DDDE377-9943-468C-987B-B45F0B006639.jpg (4032x3024, 3.62M)

here’s a link to site with calibration instructions
serge.synth.net/documents/kit/positive_slew_st.htm

and an old serge users manual
serge.synth.net/documents/1976sergemanual.pdf

the GOLD BOOK is vital serge info, the modules do a lot depending on how you patch them so you have to hunt that info down

Attached: 6B37E226-9851-499B-B473-EB9C76B739BE.jpg (4032x3024, 3.62M)

>Want to do mainly (dark) ambient stuff
with Korg Volca? are you mad? what dark ambient uses loop-based sequencing?

actually elby who is handling CGS/Serge does sell panels too but not in 4U, they are 3U for 3.5mm or bananas though except for the BOCGS panels

Attached: 4AC26569-7586-473B-B1A1-624AB1BA61BF.jpg (3624x3012, 3.15M)

You can play volca keys and fm without loops

but what's the point, it's still way off the mark for producing (dark) ambient. honestly you ought to be able to do everything you need to in your DAW. you can get the hardware, but the hardware isn't essential - the DAW is, because whether you're using you volca keys or a VSTi, you're still going to have to process the fuck out of it.

UB-Xa when?

Shipping to retailers or customers?

Thanks, bookmarked for later reference
See
And I'm still wondering why there are so many musicians that collect all kinds of hardware and use them, or even make/design their own
i.e Trent Reznor's huge analog synth he made into his attic to produce alot of the ambient stuff he's currently doing
They must all be really shitty and have no talent...

Attached: 9cd623529e3253d6709567d81c93530d.jpg (546x407, 58K)

Volca Modular is absolutely fantastic if you want to learn about modular synthesis without shelling out stupid amounts of money. Or even if you're new to synthesis in general and want to learn more about how synthesis actually works. They chose the modules to put on that thing really well, and you can get a ridiculous variety of sounds out of it.

how does synthesis actually work?

idk, something about electrics

infinite content, 0 execution

I never said hardware was obsolete, but (if you're OP) you called yourself a "total noob", and a total noob who wants to do ambient, not beats. hardware should be low priority for you.
If you want something tangible at the very least get something that can track MIDI and/or something with more sonic scope than what the Volca range offers.
save up for something worthwhile at least.

oh neat

Attached: 50033FD7-A98D-4030-9C3A-E3E07D885457.jpg (3592x2694, 2.26M)

I'm of two minds about all this. On one hand, modular synthesis is fun, and I see the appeal of letting the complexity spiral.
On the other hand, it's not exactly elegant or impressive engineering for this to be the whole plan.

what even is electrics?

Are friends electric?