/jazz/

Talk about jazz you like and jazz you don't like.

What have you been listening to?
What did you think of it?
What's your favourite Cecil Taylor record?

youtube.com/watch?v=EstPgi4eMe4

Attached: That cat is orgasming, Cecil fucking beats the shit out of the piano, it would be like sitting on a (512x388, 29K)

Unit Structures is the best jazz album

been listening to jazz without drums. its great. also looking for jazz with country/west rockysh influences. something like julian lage.

Attached: front.jpg (3000x3000, 2.97M)

im listening

Attached: Conférence De Presse.jpg (560x556, 95K)

>been listening to jazz without drums
listened to this one

Attached: Steal Away.jpg (500x500, 83K)

mostly cool jazz like chet baker and bill evans. Jazz guitar with wes montgomery, I've grown accustomed to your face played by him is my favourite. For modern jazz, even though normalfags circulate around it, would be Tiny Little Adiantum, a touhou jazz (bossa) song. Shibayan records put out some touhou bossa nova and I think it's interesting having cute voices in jazz

Jazz too big

Attached: 1568909925552.png (166x166, 36K)

I hope you die chocking on a nugget of shit

I've been listening to two Flip Phillips albums:
>The Flip Phillips Buddy Rich Trio
8/10. Really really great bebop, with a minor cool jazz and swing influences (Buddy Rich is, after all, a swing drummer). Among the best albums from 1953.
>Swinging With Flip
7/10. It's a big mixture of bebop and swing, with a few cool jazz elements. Nothing really really special apart from "Goodbye", a truly amazing cool track.

>What have you been listening to?
Pic Related
>What did you think of it?
Clark's comping is often as or more entertaining than the soloing. They complement each other nicely, it's just Clark comes through with so many good ideas and plays off Blakey so well that it's like the horns are playing second fiddle to their interactions sometimes.
I often prefer it to Clark's soloing too. The rhythm section gives Clark a lot more space to breath which frees him up to play some pretty awesome stuff, but I think the best moments on this are the ensemble moments in the heads and the horn solos.
>What's your favourite Cecil Taylor record?
Conquistador, but , One too Many and Silent Tongues are also acceptable answers.
Tbh, there are a lot of not terrible answers. He's got a pretty solid body of work.

>bonus question:
Top 5 albums from Night Lights
Jack Johnson
Ah Um
Maiden Voyage
Night Dreamer

Attached: clarkconception.jpg (400x401, 26K)

what did you dislike on the second album?

The bebop and swing combination, mainly. What pleases me the most on bebop are improvisations and the emotional freedom during them. The swing influences attaches the song to a very clear and repetitive melody, and the track becomes too artificial to me.

By swing do you mean that kind of big band era swing style? Haven't heard the record, but I think I get what you mean. It's a lot more regular and predictable. Syncopation and rhythmic ideas in jazz have gotten better since then for sure.
A lot of bebop swings pretty hard too though, it's just subtler sounding with the fast tempos and all the added complexity in the music.

>By swing do you mean that kind of big band era swing style?
Yea, this one.
I like some records of the genre, but it really bothers me when one tries to blend it with bebop elements, like on that record. The drums are generally the biggest difference. If you compare some Max Roach album with a Buddy Rich one, I notice how weird it is when they try to fit a swing-esque drums on a bebop track.
I used Rich as an example but he is the swing drummer who best adapted to the bebop conventions. Apart from that 8/10 album with Philips, he plays on 1952's Bird and Diz, a complete 10/10 imo.

>chocking

proof Jazz is nigger music

>correcting typos on Yea Forums
how new

>Hammond
>B-3
>Organ

Attached: jimmy and the smiths.jpg (564x564, 51K)

Listen to Bob Wills for jazz country

What are the essential acid jazz albums?

Acid jazz isn't jazz. It's funk/soul mostly.
Jamiroquai's first three albums are amazing essential albums regardless of genre though.

>What have you been listening to?
pic
>What did you think of it?
underappreciated avant-garde stuff, archie sheep's solo stuff isn't talked about for some reason..
>What's your favourite Cecil Taylor record?
has to be unit structures followed extremely closely by conquistador! cecil taylor is best free jazz pianist who ever lived, 2nd best jazz pianist (bill evans 1st just imo)

Attached: firemusic.jpg (300x300, 14K)

>Jamiroqai

Pls no, I am tired of his bs

Are you me

I'm on tape 74 of Duke Ellington in David W. Niven's Jazz collection. Its pretty great. I don't care for Cecil Taylor or any modernist jazz.

Attached: confylions.jpg (500x375, 108K)

Jazz AOTY

Attached: 8E3AAF33-F940-40A1-806F-1743F79DA280.jpg (355x355, 35K)