I can't decide on which instrument to buy and learn. I'm between the Piano, Violin...

I can't decide on which instrument to buy and learn. I'm between the Piano, Violin, Nylon/Steel-string guitar (non-electric), and the Saxophone.
Difficulty of an instrument doesn't bother me as I plan to dedicate a lot of time into my hobby. And this is just that. A hobby. Not planning to play at an orchestra or do anything serious but I need to choose the right instruments.
Money is not an issue but I can only afford the time to learn only two of the instruments I listed. I like Classical, Jazz, Soundtracks and Electronic music.

Piano would be for Classical and Jazz.
Violin for classical.
Saxophone for Jazz.
And Nylon/Steel-string guitar (non-electric) for casual relaxing instrumental music near a campfire.

Help.

Attached: 0.jpg (1280x720, 152K)

Other urls found in this thread:

novationmusic.com/keys
youtube.com/watch?v=8h7X9bXUp_s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do the piano. Guitar is also an alright choice. Both are versatile instruments, not hard to learn, and good on their own as well as in a group. Violin and saxophone are useless as hobby instruments, and you kind of need to be in a group for them to be fun. Also, just pick one, not two. You'll start favoring one and the other will fall by the wayside and end up being a waste of money.

you're too old

I'm 9 months old.

youre too anal

stfu baby

>hobby instrument
>too old
he's too old to master an instrument, but no one's too old to learn to play one (unless they've developed some kind of chronic muscle/bone/nerve disease that restricts their movement)

>Violin and saxophone are useless as hobby instruments, and you kind of need to be in a group for them to be fun.
Really? How so?

The piano and the acoustic guitar were always my first choice. But saxophone jazz is so beautiful.

yes

get em all but "master" the piano, so get a midi key, dont hold back on the monez cause a good midi is def worth it. But Novation makes quite great budget ones novationmusic.com/keys

Seconding piano. It's probably the most clearcut way of learning musical structure.

Here's for the saxophone:
>you're a monophonic instrument (can't play more than one line at a time or chords). Therefore if you want more voices in your music than just your saxophone (you probably do), then you're going to have to get some buddies to play with you
>A lot of the fun in learning jazz and saxophone is learning improvisation. If you're not going to be some wanky free improv guy, you're going to need some chords to improv over. That means calling some buddies over to help you practice or getting a shitty backing track on youtube or on some cd that came with an improv book
>You're a horn, so you have to transpose EVERYTHING from C to either Eb or Bb, depending on the sax you choose. Deal with it, faggot.
>You can't compose on a saxophone, because it's monophonic, and you really don't get the full picture, learning theory, because you can only play one note at a time
>in general, sax needs to have other instruments backing it up in order for it to sound good

Thanks. I suspected that. That's why piano and guitar were always first regardless of how much I enjoyed the sound of other instruments like sax. I guess violin would be the same.
That's why I'm giving it a lot of thought before I buy an instrument. I don't want to go with something that just sounds nice.

Really wanted to play something like this tho.
youtube.com/watch?v=8h7X9bXUp_s

Piano or guitar are good starts, and no you're not too old to even have a career these days unless you were planning on doing that autistic "concert pianist who started at 3" shit, and even most of those kids end up being failures anyway if they can't pay their way to carnegie hall.
But that's the thing about a musical career. It's about money and who you know, especially these days. You're smart to just do it as a hobby.
But yeah, piano or guitar. Piano's good for if you want to have a really nice, constant, visual guide to help you along with reading music and developing theory, and you'll be able to learn pretty much any key-based instrument without having to relearn everything from square one.
Guitars are very different, but in a lot of ways they're easier than piano, and generally easier to carry.
The important thing is to find something you fall in love with. If that means the goddamned maracas, then go for the maracas. Whatever it takes.

Floot

>Violin and saxophone are useless as hobby instruments, and you kind of need to be in a group for them to be fun
Not only is this so fucking stupid, there are community string ensembles and wind bands everywhere, where the only real requirement is to show up and not be a total dickhead. Hardly an obstacle if you have a little bit of commitment in you.

post feet

Attached: 73EDCD2F-87F2-4B10-90DF-1D9C60085994.jpg (990x990, 113K)

Shills will use every trick in the book to discourage you from developing your music in a personal way, because you can't sell trash hip hop to a musically educated populace.

>If you're not going to be some wanky free improv guy,
>tfw I want to be get a sax and be that guy as well as compose.
I feel like it would be fun. I would never learn to play normal stuff like standards but I would compose music for other people to play so i could play sax over that in a band. I would probably write out their parts in standard notation. Is this a bad idea?

maracas or no balls, bitch

Attached: OrangeScentedGhostshrimp-max-1mb.gif (338x390, 148K)

You'll find a very complete archive of harmonic and melodic possibilities in a Fake Book of some kind. You don't have to beat it to death to play that Brecker lick over any standard but it's still dumb to not do it at all.

Maracas

no ones too old to master an instrument

Attached: 1536450729164.jpg (1029x988, 174K)

>it's still dumb to not do it at all.
why tho?