Why are Germans so good at industrial music?

Why are Germans so good at industrial music?

Attached: Front.jpg (500x500, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AJQT6PoMpLg
youtube.com/watch?v=5LeuxUJ5Hmk
youtube.com/watch?v=GUXWa-pSsO8
youtube.com/watch?v=NW8CBZkBqx4
youtube.com/watch?v=BTHVQbUT_8E
youtube.com/watch?v=XfJqkepXtZw
youtube.com/watch?v=5XpqCxJZdGs
youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nBVZfVYD_uw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they are good at industrial anything

>einsturzende neubauten
>Industrial

pick one

Because they experienced a year zero like event with WW2.
The post-war generation so hated the past, they created a new German culture.
Industrial was the next step after their pioneering work with electronic music.

t. regard NIN as industrial

Ok... I gotta' hear this.
Do go on.

>thinks his germanic clingclang claptrap is Industrial
>shits on a band incorrectly labeled as Industrial by the media but is still great

btw this remix is more Industrial than anything EN has ever shit out:
youtube.com/watch?v=AJQT6PoMpLg

listen and learn

eh... their first two albums are 100% industrial, even if blixa denies it
>feedback loops
>metal sheets recorded live
>literal industrial machines as semi-percussive instrument
>found sound
>noise
halber mensch has a lot rhythmic sections, they were post-industrial at that point until haus der luege or even tabula rasa.

You're like a little baby, now listen to this:
youtube.com/watch?v=5LeuxUJ5Hmk

Industrial or not, Tabula Rasa was the best album of the 90's

Attached: Einstürzende Neubauten.png (1007x653, 233K)

I'm stillborn

Attached: MarcoCorbelli2.jpg (210x300, 18K)

>Ende Neu above Alles Wieder Offen
>Zeichnungen near the bottom
Absolute ass

That's not what Industrial music is about user.
It has nothing to do with clingclang, industrial factory equipment or construction sites.
The word itself was a reference to the cold and soulless society that the members of Throbbing Gristle grew up in.
This is the sonic characteristic of Industrial music:
youtube.com/watch?v=GUXWa-pSsO8
Cold non-music with no rhythm or melody, textural atonal psychedelic noise.
It's supposed to encapsulate a world in which machinery and the status quo have taken over peoples' humanity and humans have been reduced to nothing but soulless zombies left with no purpose or energy.
Go watch the Throbbing Gristle documentaries, listen to their cassette tapes.
This has nothing to do with a bunch of douchebags with jackhammers making untz untz dance noise for people who think they're too cool for new wave.

Attached: Throbbing-Gristle-1.jpg (932x500, 83K)

man I like TG rec me some other albums I like the words you say youre so handsome

based retard

Kiss the ground I stood on user I know you want to lick my feet

Why are we worlds apart if you were in the same room with me right now I would blow you off and guzzle your cum after drinking another beer, no homo.

Attached: Marco Corbelli.jpg (356x492, 34K)

Go home kiddie, your clingclang shit isn't Industrial.

based

cling clang shit is literally what industrial is you chud.

Also it's 'kling klang' not 'cling clang' nerd.

that's the industrial records scene, that's not necessarily the whole of industrial music

>it's supposed to encapsulate a world in which machinery and the status quo have taken over peoples' humanity and humans have been reduced to nothing but soulless zombies
ok, so tubeway army/gary numan's machine trilogy is industrial now?

>cling clang shit is literally what industrial is you chud.
lmao. this fucking retard thinks that the reason it's called "industrial" is because le machine sounds. you are a fucking moron. see that is where the term "industrial" music came from you fucking retard. just because an album has le machinery sounds doesn't mean it's industrial lmao

No but it influenced it heavily

obviously it's where the term came from, but it's not the soul purveyor of industrial music. hell, nobody involved in tg would agree with your assessment anyways. things evolve, things change, the entire point of industrial culture was ultimately exercising your own free will and rejecting the status quo for the sake of truly open expression, and einsturzende neubauten certainly falls under that category

i think you're confusing einsturzende neubauten with either DAF or Laibach

You are trying to approach this from the perspective that has been instilled in people for the past 30/40 + years.
Einsturzende Neubauten all the way to NIN was never Industrial and the members of those bands knew that themselves.
Industrial music is a very specific type of experimental music that came out of the cultural mindset of 1970s Britain.
It had no percussive elements, no rhythm or harmony, it was cold bleak non-music (yet not quite pure noise) that encapsulated the cultural mindset of the particular time:
youtube.com/watch?v=NW8CBZkBqx4
youtube.com/watch?v=BTHVQbUT_8E
youtube.com/watch?v=XfJqkepXtZw

It is a documentary on the human condition.

The reason people associate bands like Cabaret Voltaire with Industrial is because they released a few things under Industrial records which eventually overtime lead people to associate shit like Clock DVA with the genre which lead to bands like Front 242 and Nine Inch Nails to be associated with it.
The same confusion lead people to think Einsturzende Neubauten had something to do with the genre because they were noisy and used construction equipment to make their music.
Industrial music has nothing to do with the whole "construction equipment" aesthetic.

fucking
LMAAAAAOOOOOO

I agree that 'construction music,' (or 'metal music' in some circles) doesn't equate to industrial music, but to say that there is no crossover is silly. furthermore, cabaret voltaire, along with TG, were one of the bands interviewed in the Industrial Culture Handbook, which most people would cite as a quintessential document of industrial culture (i.e., not just the music or the label, but related performance art and the lifestyle attached to it).

also, the idea that there was no rhythm to industrial music is pretty stupid as well. here's a bunch of tg since they're the only band you seem to count
youtube.com/watch?v=5XpqCxJZdGs
youtube.com/watch?v=Y8klW9trVTQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nBVZfVYD_uw (the version of this on the third report also has a distinct bass rhythm)
hell, you posted maggot death earlier, and while it's not like a drum beat, there's definitely a pulse to that piece.

Gen and the rest of TG have stated that Cabaret Voltaire have nothing to do with Industrial they simply released some of their albums under their label.
You can't take anything written about Industrial music as fact since it was all made by passive outsiders or industry shills (take Assimilate: A Critical History of Industrial Music for example).
The issue here is that TG signed some synthpop bands to their label that happened to express some form of experimentalism which lead to the assumption that Industrial music and synthpop had a connection and eventually that birthed the music scene we have today,
Industrial was and still is the sound of early TG and bands like Contagious Orgasm and Brighter Death Now.

also 20JFG furthered confused things

TG stopped making Industrial music after DOA The Third and Final Report and returned to their sound once they became X-TG.

Attached: R-70587-1522618035-3254.jpeg.jpg (600x596, 162K)

btw I'm eating some ramen right now

The Industrial culture handbook was written by an artfag who approached Industrial records as a label, not a genre so you can't reference it when looking at Industrial music as a genre.
I have read it.
The whole fucking thing is really muddied and you can blame TG themselves for all the confusion, they never once explicitly came out and explained what it was that they were doing but if you spend enough time analyzing their discography you'll understand what Industrial is.

and btw it's chicken ramen with onions.
it's delicious.
I'm really drunk and will be going to bed after I finish it.

What is it, then?

but then this becomes the same problem as something like the word 'meme,' where there's an original definition that broadened over time due to the general use by the public, to the point that now various dictionaries include the more common usage as a secondary definition. sure, i can agree with you that by TG's standards these bands aren't necessarily, but you can't deny that they were influenced heavily by it, especially EN considering one of their most famous performances was alongside Gen and Frank Tovey at the ICA (the same place as COUM's Prostitution show). I'd still consider Einsturzende Neubauten to be post-industrial at the very least. but ultimately, regardless of the technicalities of who has the right to decide what constitutes 'industrial,' there is a throughline that connects what they were doing in germany, what tg were doing with the industrial movement, what people like merzbow and yamatsuka/yamantaka eye were doing in japan, and it all makes its way back to luigi russolo and 'the art of noises' in 1913 anyways.

art music?
alternative?
It certainly isn't Industrial.

'industrial noise' vs industrial music?
one describes the literal sounds of industry
the other describes a distinct sound as has been argued throughout the thread

wait do you mean actual onions or did you get soifiltered?

Genres exist to describe particular characteristics of music.
Everything we listen to to day can be traced back to a few parent genres/sounds, that doesn't mean they all belong to the same sub-group.
What TG did has nothing to do with EN or Merzbow or Boredomes.
Today when you say "my favorite genre of music is Industrial" four different people will all have radically different assumptions of what you just said, because the genre has been completely misunderstood by media and clueless listeners.
It is about time that people finally come to an understanding of what exactly constitutes as Industrial.
When listening to "The Second Annual Report" does it resemble anything like "Halber Mensch" or does it sound more like Brighter Death Now or Atrax Morgue .... exactly!
Genres exist so that people can pinpoint particular sonic elements of music, if a genre can include anything under the damn sun then categorizing music is pointless!
At the end of the day Throbbing Gristle is Industrial, EN is arte pop, Merzbow is noise and Luigi Russolo is experimentalism, none of them belong to the same genre.

Real onions, I cut them myself.
I'm a poorfag but here me out this meal is delicious, mix generic ramen noodles with canned chicken and onions and it's like a goddamn gourmet meal.

Einstruzende Neubauten is art pop.

art pop is stuff like the velvet underground or bowie or maybe even klaus nomi. EN is definitely not art pop

this is exactly genres are a flawed classification system, or at least this is exactly why being a stickler about genres is a horrible way to consume music. they should be clear, and give you a context in which that genre exists both historically and sonically. having to nitpick about what is or isn't part of the genre defeats the purpose of categorizing it to begin with. furthermore, having parent genres DOES mean they belong to the same sub group. it's the same shit with classifying animals. homo sapiens (sapiens) may be a distinct species, but it's still part of a greater family, and there even used to be various other homos hangin around as well, all part of the same subgroup. you can't just ignore where something comes from and pretend that it exists in a vacuum, just like you can't ignore the fact that certain things influenced other things and were a crucial part of whatever they became

how so? it klings and klangs and buzzes and stuff

lol
so much effort only to be wrong

Morale of this thread:

If you're into what is generally called industrial music - music ranging from Einstürzende Neubauten, Current 93 and Deutsch Nepal to NIN and Rammstein - you can ignore Throbbing Gristle altogether. They also called the music that they made for a few years "industrial" but it was a different thing altogether and has no bearing on what is understood by people today as industrial.

isn't that the opposite of what its says?

Not the opposite, but the counterpart. What the other guy is saying is that what is generally understood as industrial is not the kind of industrial music that TG played. What I'm saying is that what TG played is not what is generally understood as industrial.

>If you're into what is generally called
oh yeah, I see your qualification.
im glad some user has bothered to read so many books on throbbing gristle lol