MC5

Attached: file.png (220x220, 99K)

stop making sense

Obviously. All of JB's best music is live

Attached: file.png (820x820, 1.22M)

youtu.be/OVHNwBbkSj4
unreal performance

Attached: file.png (317x315, 102K)

Attached: wings over america.jpg (320x319, 97K)

Attached: StiffLittleFingersHanx.jpg (300x300, 44K)

To be honest, virtually never. I mean a live album can be good, but it almost never clearly surpasses the studio record. Even bands like Cheap Trick where even the normals agree that Budokan is definitive, I find that maybe one song is better but on the whole the song selection either sucks or the other songs are markedly worse than in-studio.

A good example is KISS Alive. The songs from Dressed to Kill are way better because that album came out so wimpy-sounding, but you can’t beat the vocal performances on the studio versions of songs like Strutter or the overwheming sound of the entire Hotter Than Hell album.

Nirvana Unplugged is true but that is more about the low quality/bad production/arrangements of their meager few studio albums than it is Unplugged being any kind of revelation.

With that said, Live Seeds by Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds is close to being a definitive early-period collection.

shut up nerd

Check out Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light also, has Pat Methany and Jaco Pastorius playing on it.

will do. I'm on a big joni kick. her vocal delivery is so great

Fishmans, obv

Live in Leipzig is the best mayhem album

Obligatory

Attached: 9B90038F-5CC7-44CC-A0C4-2BE0ABD0F067.jpg (355x355, 21K)

Maybe the best rock album of all time.

Attached: deeppurple.jpg (320x313, 16K)

hot take comin' thru

Attached: file.png (1500x1500, 2.59M)

Based
I’d say Bootleg Series 4 is his best but that one is really great too. It’s got the only version of Knockin on Heaven’s Door anyone ever needs.

Attached: 5331FFC4-A9DD-4F55-A1D8-D2C136912359.jpg (320x320, 11K)

the '75 Isis versions smoke

All the most famous live albums practically are studio albums, they overdub parts of it in the studio to make it sound better. It happens on pretty much every major live album but no one knows about it.

It depends on the album, some only have minor fixes and some are almost entirely rerecorded. The only overdubs on are to fix some backing vocals iirc.

On The Band's The Last Waltz there was a big controversy about the overdubs. Levon Helm claimed his mic was turned off and Scorsese was putting all the focus on Robbie Robbertson. Most the concert went through heavy overdubs before releasing it on album.

There's an original version of the concert undubbed floating around on youtube and sounds very different.

Still an incredible movie/album despite that, it's mostly just minor things they fix but Levon seemed to take it very personally.

Attached: LW-1-1-e1487780671345.jpg (1886x1060, 287K)

>he's never heard of jam bands
It's time to get in touch with your inner boomer, user. Jazz is also full of ridiculous live performances. Compare Coltrane's "My Favorite Things" to the studio version, for instance.

Attached: Live_one.jpg (334x298, 15K)

opened the thread to post this

Attached: 98.12.28 - fishmans.jpg (220x215, 12K)

Yeah Jazz is almost always better live. It's a performance art, man.