Ric Ocasek

Ric Ocasek
1949-2019
RIP

Attached: rsa_234_weiss__cars_1979.jpg (1084x1600, 118K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Ric-Ocasek-Cars-Singer-Dead-in-NY-at-75-560430391.html
youtube.com/watch?v=C_2qkBsf6dA
youtube.com/watch?v=XJqz_YWHmJI
youtube.com/watch?v=E0Kv6vxZwL8
youtube.com/watch?v=ikkhmkAH72U
newsday.com/entertainment/music/mason-swearingen-chicago-beginnings-newbridge-road-park-1.35531723
youtube.com/watch?v=qBnvbttU7X8
m.youtube.com/watch?v=j8aJiLUaWGI&list=PLVMgMdYqIEkboVaFK7HUlFXlRqa4DPXv6&index=7&t=0s
youtube.com/watch?v=gJ4eh2x2B1E
robertchristgau.com/xg/misc/sex-95.php
youtube.com/watch?v=3dOx510kyOs
youtube.com/watch?v=1JnQfKIFERU
youtube.com/watch?v=K3SA5Z-cbC8
youtube.com/watch?v=KXpJ0bM5zbM
youtube.com/watch?v=L7Gpr_Auz8Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

NOOOOOOO WTF

What the fuck, it's actually true
F

Holy shit he's actually gone this is not a troll thread at all.

Rest in peace Richy we are forever thankful for the music you made for us over the years.

Idk who this is?

The main songwriter and co-lead vocalist of The Cars, a popular American rock band in the 70s and 80s, known for their songs Just What I Needed, You Might Think, My Best Friend's Girl, and Let's Go, among many other hits.

GODDAMNIT.... FUCK... F
RIP

Maybe that pretentious furry Will Toldeo can put out those records he had to "destroy" now
Anyway RIP, I never liked his music all that much but The Blue Album is good

this. Also, known to zoomers as the producer behind Weezer's two biggest albums.

>another one
Geez 2019 is turning out to be as much of a bastard as 2016.

Which dad rocker is going to die next?

Not a joke
nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Ric-Ocasek-Cars-Singer-Dead-in-NY-at-75-560430391.html
F

King Lanklet

damn, hard to imagine what the world of car dealership tv commercials would look like without him

f

Thank you for your commitment to music Ric.

>Geez 2019 is turning out to be as much of a bastard as 2016.
It makes sense though since now all these guys are old enough to croak we're seeing 80s icons drop like flies.

Does anyone know when he was born? Wikipedia says 1943 or 44 and this thread says 1949.

Posting in thread before it gets pinned.

He's moving in stereo in heaven now

what a strange looking human being

OP here. Google failed mo on the birth date. He was 75

He's a mystery

He still got to hit this.

Attached: o-PAULINA-570.jpg (570x882, 69K)

Outside of the Cars he produced a pretty patrician selection of other artists as well desu:
>Weezer
>Guided By Voices
>Bad Brains
>Suicide
>Hole
>Romeo Void
>Bad Religion
>Jonathan Richman

true. fuck she was hot. probably still is.

Who cares?

Car Seat Headrest is better than all those bands

Surely Ric Ocasek will get a sticky, right? Fuckin Eddie Money got one.

damn
thats pretty cool

>gay furries have already invaded the thread

oh shit everyone's dying! rest in peace. "you're all i got tonight"

hahahahahahaha

F

Rick Springfield is going to die next lads.

S

Attached: 1092903299032.png (1021x847, 1.1M)

If he does it will just be filled with retards still complaining about Scott Walker and Glenn Branca.

F
Shake it up

Based Ric

based Ric. fuck will todeo.

honestly? based.

Ric Ocasek was essentially a clout martyr.

Everyone is claiming this was a random robbery, but it's clear what was actually happening: his killers were driven to take his life solely for the sake of clout. They wanted infamy of their own and found it in gunning down a 75-year old.

As Ric was taking his final breath, he was surrounded by kids taking video and pictures of him. Why? For clout. No one was taking his pulse, no one was calling 911, everyone was standing around with their phones out as his body was clinging to life.

The moral lesson of Ocasek's life story should be a cautionary tale of the horrors of social media and how it's fucked our society beyond belief.

RIP Ric. See you in Heaven...

RIP Ringo Casey
F

That one will hit me hard.

Rule of threes:

Edie Money, Ric Ocasek...

Which 80s rock radio sensation is next?

youtube.com/watch?v=C_2qkBsf6dA

My favorite Cars song

He'll die this October. Screencap this.

David Lee Roth

Billy Idol

Diamond Dave is immortal.

Sammy Hagar

Rick Springfield is already on the table.

Cyndi Lauper

David Bowie

god fucking damn it
listening to the first three Cars records and Alan Vega and Martin Rev tonight

Billy Squier or Meat Loaf

he's too health conscious these days. been eating right and exercising for like 15 years.

Either Hall or Oates.

Hopefully all of them.

>born 1943 or 1944
I guess we'll find out which pretty soon

The guy from Chicago

Based year zero poster

i always find it strange even in the mid 1900s there could be a discrepancy about when someone is born. was he born to some japanese hoor during the war or something?

Any one of the Go-go's.

Rick Nielsen.

Bruce Springsteen

Jon Bon Jabajovi

The Cars [Elektra, 1978]
Ric Ocasek writes catchy, hardheaded-to-coldhearted songs eased by wryly rhapsodic touches, the playing is tight and tough, and it all sounds wonderful on the radio. But though on a cut-by-cut basis Roy Thomas Baker's production adds as much as it distracts, here's hoping the records get rawer. That accentuated detachment may feel like a Roxy Music move in the first flush of studio infatuation, but schlock it up a little and this band really could turn into an American Queen. B+

Candy-O [Elektra, 1979]
Hooks are mechanical by nature, but the affectlessness of these deserves special mention; only listeners who consider "alienation is the craze" a great insight will find much meaning here. On the other hand, only listeners who demand meaning in all things will find this useless. Cold and thin, shiny and hypnotic, it's what they do best--rock and roll that is definitely pop without a hint of cuteness. Which means that for them "alienation is the craze" may be a meaningful statement after all. B+

Attached: RobertChristgau-3-1532301665.jpg (1140x798, 133K)

>Weezer's two biggest albums
I had to do a double take because I thought Pinkerton was one of those albums, but I checked and it turns out he produced three of their albums. Blue album, Green album, and Everything Will Be Alright in the End.

Please no. I'm going to be incredibly upset at the loss of Rick, Robin, Tom, or Bun.

All the cool musicians keep dying wtf

hope he doesn't get a sticky, he's nowhere near the same level as eddie money

Pinketon is bigger in the music fan world, but to the general public, Weezer is basically the Blue Album and the Green Album (plus "Beverly Hills" and the "Africa" cover)

guess that car finally died

>90150567
>people are going to unironically reply to this

>if you're friends with P, well then you're friends with me

Matt Sharp was the real genius behind Weezer

my college roommate was Greg Hawkes' daughter. I met him once. real cool dude. The Cars were so fucking based. Heartbeat City is pure gold. RIP Ric.

Attached: muph057-HG-slides-sl004-i001-001.jpg (203x300, 15K)

very true

who?

rolling

Attached: 1556685903902.jpg (252x244, 8K)

Guy from some low quality radio-bait new wave band.

please god make it this

That's awesome. All the guys from The Cars were really based.

F

Paul McCartney and Brian Wilson are next.

I was just thinking how much The Cars pioneered the Weezer types. Socially awkward but could rock out

The main songwriter and co-lead vocalist of The Cars, a popular American rock band in the 70s and 80s, known for their songs Just What I Needed, You Might Think, My Best Friend's Girl, and Let's Go, among many other hits.

Meat Loaf is next

>Ocasek

Attached: 14577843589345677.png (104x112, 14K)

@90150567
Eddie Money made pop trash. The Cars actually made some quality music.

Attached: 1377652483561.gif (300x303, 2.98M)

He was 75?

>known for their songs Just What I Needed, You Might Think, My Best Friend's Girl, and Let's Go
i've never heard anyone of these songs in my life

Rivers Cuomo is dead

>Eddie Money
>Ric Ocasek
They always die in threes, who's dying tomorrow?

Attached: jeff lynne.jpg (300x300, 62K)

what's the issue

Greatest Hits [Elektra, 1985]
In retrospect, it seems fairly incredible that this was once the stuff of cause célèbre--that the battle was joined over pop product so sleekly affectless. But of course, once upon a time affectlessness was progress; once upon a time a pop fan couldn't count on the radio to push his or her buttons. Those for whom struggle is all will claim that the sparer and supposedly fresher debut remains definitive, but they're just hyping their own dashed hopes. Fleet, efficient, essentially meaningless, this is the Cars' gift to history--seven seamless years of it. A-

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

Mick Mars

shave your neckbeard.

radiohead sucks

he made it relatively late

mods sticky plz

Attached: 1543477168723.png (449x320, 175K)

t. zoomer

fuck this sucks
RIP

Did Eddie Money get a sticky?

youtube.com/watch?v=XJqz_YWHmJI
You've at least seen a Circuit City commercial, user.

The Grim Reaper is going off this month

They were extremely successful on the pop charts upon release and are still regularly played on classic rick radio stations.

The Cars are incredible, their debut is the greatest debut record of all time. Wow. F

The fuck is a Circuit City?

>Daniel Johnston
>Eddie Money
>Ric Ocasek
There's your three. You can stop guessing the next one now. All 80's musicians. Dan was the best desu.

don't fucking joke about Jeff Lynne

>Daniel Johnston
Who?

some autistic fat guy

Just something that underage b& won't remember.

that user was probably 6 years old when Circuit City folded

some BASED autistic fat guy

>Good Times Roll
>My Best Friend's Girl
>You're All I've Got Tonight
>Moving In Stereo
>Just What I Needed
>Bye Bye Love
>Let's Go
>It's All I Can Do
>Dangerous Type
>Shake It Up
>Since You're Gone
>You Might Think
>Drive
>Magic
If you don't know at least 5 of these songs, you don't belong here

You've never heard Good Times Roll or UH OHHHHH IT'S MAGIC

>the Cars flew this completely over his head

F

>Ric Ocasek thread gets over 100 replies in 30 minutes
>no sticky

>Eddie Money thread gets less than 130 replies in 4 fucking hours
>stickied

Attached: 1566516430499.jpg (1311x879, 129K)

Remaining 80's rock legends better be careful of that curse of famous people dying in 3's.

Attached: JBJ.jpg (1800x1200, 171K)

mods don't work weekends

>UH OHHHHH IT'S MAGIC
That wasn't the Cars, dude, it was Pilot.

This better get a sticky. Eddie got one.

No.

That's oh oh it's magic. The Cars is UH OHHHHHHHH

'cause who gives a shit about Eddie Money? He was far closer to Cuckgau's description of meaningless pop product.

JANUARY

Attached: A6C6B2E3-B744-4880-B8E4-BB3BD4B8B39D.png (696x1078, 731K)

Not gonna lie, I know maybe one or two songs by the Cars and I never heard of Eddie Money before he died.

literally the only person who died to get a stcky was mac miller. lel. not daniel johnston, not joao gilberto, etc no one, just mac

Bowie got a sticky and an mp3 loop

I always liked his voice more than Ric's, but they were both iconic

He and Ben can do some catching up now.

Attached: tumblr_inline_naqodkmgli1s8ai78.jpg (500x685, 62K)

Paddy McAloon

damn
F

contrary to Yea Forums's opinion, radiohead and neutral milk hotel didn't invent music

Daniel Johnston got a sticky.

When this happens and he doesn't get a sticky there will be so much butthurt.

AHHHH BRAD PITTU NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

>and I never heard of Eddie Money before he died
Didn't you at least see that American Express commercial he did a few years ago?

John Mellencamp

oof

Where is the goddamn sticky?!

Madonna

I only come here when people die lol

Just What I Needed was a rip of Cheap Trick's Big Eyes anyway.

Posting before the sticky

Attached: a_shig_supreme.jpg (925x925, 508K)

That's idiotic.

I'm a big Cheap Trick fan, but what the fuck are you talking about? Not similar at all.

Only good musicians get stickies.

will he even get one? Eddie Money got one, but Scott Walker didn't, the mods don't seem to be very consistent

he was a pop slayer

Good one, faggot.

F

Burn in hell

F

What was the mp3 loop?

stopdrinkingsoymilk

Powerman 5000 did a cover of LTGTR but it's not very good nor does the song even "fit" them.

DELET THIS

The Cars made basedwave.

No one cares.

Fuck. Tough week for 80's rock.

Attached: 1540927370012.jpg (1252x1252, 135K)

He was 35 when their debut came out, I had no idea he was that old.

RIP, I really love the Cars and he seems like a good guy

>all these moments lost, like tears in the rain

Attached: phoebe_cates.jpg (579x632, 88K)

Based dumb retard.

swoyboy
Zoomers don't listen to Weezer, they're more of a Gen X and early millenial band

STACY'S MOM HAS GOT IT GOING ON

Attached: De40BsPV4AAO7UT.jpg (1200x675, 45K)

Who's gonna tell you when it's too late
Who's gonna tell you things aren't so great

You can't go on thinking nothing's wrong
Who's gonna drive you home tonight?

Who's gonna pick you up when you fall
Who's gonna hang it up when you call
Who's gonna pay attention to your dreams
Who's gonna plug their ears when you scream

Who's gonna hold you down when you shake
Who's gonna come around when you break

You know you can't go on thinking nothing's wrong

Because you were presumably born in the 2000s and therefore have little knowledge of the 80s.

Basically, Money had a bunch of Top 40 and rock radio hits from the late 70s to early 90s, fairly run of the mill stuff. Still gets a lot of classic rock airplay. His two biggest songs were "Two Tickets to Paradise" and "Take Me Home Tonight". I'd wager you'd know at least one of these.

The Cars, like Eddie Money, too had a bunch of Top 40 and rock radio hits from the late 70s through the late 80s when they split. They were distinct though in that they were part of the New Wave movement and one of the first artists to really make that sound commercially viable. They were also one of the first artists to really make music videos a huge deal on MTV. Unlike Money, their songs have remained on radio/commercials/soundtracks/in public memory to a greater degree, their first few albums are/were hugely acclaimed, and the band was influential on countless underground and mainstream acts in pop and rock music. Ric also produced albums for a bunch of bands, including Weezer and their biggest hits ("Buddy Holly", "Undone", "Island in the Sun"). I'd be shocked if you weren't familiar with at least half of these: "Drive", "Just What I Needed", "My Best Friend's Girl", "Let the Good Times Roll", "Shake it Up", "You Might Think"

Lemmy was about that old when Motorhead broke. So was Debbie Harry Not everyone gets to be rock stars at 20-21 like Metallica did.

>like Metallica did
Like a lot of bands.

Eddie Money's studio stuff was bland as fuck. Those who were there say he was way better live.

>Zoomers don't listen to Weezer, they're more of a Gen X and early millenial band
Yes they do dude. Weezer played the fucking Minecraft or Fortnite concert. Their "Africa" cover became a hit because of internet memes. This is all zoomers.

They were a Gen X band during their prime but still have a very large younger fanbase because of memes and shit (especially in California).

Literally who

Peter Cetera doesn't get enough credit around here desu

Post Terry Kath Chicago was one of the worst bands in history. Fuck off.

They were like Green Day in that they started out as a Gen Xer slacker/snapback 90s band and managed to shift their sound to appealing to Hot Topic 2000s teens.

what's crazy, my dad saw a Chicago cover band the other day and the lead singer died during a song

literally who the fuck are you?

Who was the one who shot himself?

Hot Topic 2000s teens would be millenials.
I'm 24 so I'm at the late end of millenial, I would say that people my age are at the tailend of Weezer's fanbase.
I don't think Zoomers really listen to much rock in general.

I think that song was just filler to pad out Tonight The Stars Revolt.

this.

The two disco-era post-Kath albums have some cool songs/grooves on there, but everything after is dreadful pop crap or adult comtemporary cheese.

>Hot Topic 2000s teens would be millenials.
It was but I don't like using Reddit-tier generation labels.

Kath, great guitar player.

baka fools can't appreciate a smooth ballad

Post a news article or some other form of proof or I won’t believe you.

7 out of the 9 tracks on this were HUGE radio staples. Can't think of another album with a better hit ratio.

Attached: 1830882.jpg (600x600, 103K)

Kath is unironically my favorite guitarist

RIP

youtube.com/watch?v=ikkhmkAH72U

that date?

Attached: wtfrick.png (296x449, 127K)

Peter Cetera rapes babies.

>I'm 24 so I'm at the late end of millenial, I would say that people my age are at the tailend of Weezer's fanbase.
>I don't think Zoomers really listen to much rock in general.

They don't but a fair amount of current white zoomers still listen to "alternative" shit (mainly 21 pilots, imagine dragons, billie eillish). And Weezer is still pretty damn popular with that crowd despite their age.

Mostly because they use memes to sell records and adapt to current trends.

Boston

>'CAUSE YOU'RE ALL I'VE GOT TONIGHT
>I NEED YOU
>TONIGHT
>I NEED YOU
>TONIGHT

Attached: 158179369.jpg (720x450, 78K)

You could say it was the night Chicago died.

You kids do remember Paper Lace, right?

Chicago started to lose it when the counterculture era ended and they became 70s buttrock, but the real death of the group was with Kath. The later stuff was the most horrible, vapid 80s adult contemporary you can imagine.

Archers Of Loaf say RIP

>Although that night some good things happened we got to meet and hang out with Ric Ocasek and Paulina Porizkova, and they were cool as shit they were really nice human beings, they were like super nice and intelligent and fun, they hung out in our dressing room more than Weezer did, they went because Ric Ocasek produced Weezer's album.

Attached: loaf.jpg (525x339, 46K)

BILLY
DON'T BE A HERO

Probably Magical Mystery Tour, but that was a compilation

Zoomer is reddit tier too
newsday.com/entertainment/music/mason-swearingen-chicago-beginnings-newbridge-road-park-1.35531723

he died rocking out

>7 out of the 9 tracks on this were HUGE radio staples. Can't think of another album with a better hit ratio.

Well, counting both rock and pop radio...

Thriller, Born in the USA, Rhythm Nation, Invisible Touch

DONT BE A FOOL WITH YOUR LIFE

having a studio album that sounds like a greatest hits album is a real achievement.
I love that song even though it's corny

Attached: Billy-Corgan.jpg (630x420, 49K)

>not the Bo Donaldson version

>Ric released some of the best pop rock songs ever AND was loafpilled
based

That date comes from the video in the article which was published in February 2018. Was about an art exhibition Ocasek toured on the east coast.

Do Hispanic zoomers listen to any rock?
I know the black ones don't unless they're emo. Though, they're more receptive to it than earlier black generations (hence the rock inspired fashion of some Zoom rappers)

>Americans

Just metal

>This site is not available in your region
It appears that you are trying to access our website from a location in the European Union, which enforces the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). Unfortunately, because of this regulation we cannot provide access at this time. We appreciate your understanding.
What the fuck is this shit? I just want to read about how knock-off Peter Cetera carked it

he made will toledo destroy a bunch of teens of denial copies days before it's release bc he didn't like the way he was sampled in not what I needed

the absolute madman

If Eddie Money can get a sticky Ric Ocasik more than deserves one

What the fuck is a zoomer?

He actually sounded like Terry Kath.
youtube.com/watch?v=qBnvbttU7X8

>”You can’t go on, thinking nothing’s wrong...”

Slang for Gen Z: people born in late 90s onward.

Good. Fuck that faggot.

so is rock culture only surviving through metal?
I notice the other day that even in bars where most people are under 30, the only rock songs they play are 25+ years old

a cat who runs around in the middle of the night

A big loss for music.

Not him but at first I thought the term meant Gen Z with boomer tendencies, I find it less funny as a general term for Gen Z

Oh fuck, it's true
F :(

Goddamn, a true legend. Not only were the Cars the best singles band of the new wave era, but his production work for Suicide, Bad Brains, Nada Surf and Weezer is legendary.

RIP, sir.

why

>1 hour
>over 200 replies
>still no sticky

Also why did Cuckgau hate Chicago?

Because even Christgau has standards

Because they were absolute irredeemable shit for the entire 80s.

>Yea Forums in 2019

>I notice the other day that even in bars where most people are under 30, the only rock songs they play are 25+ years old

Really? Because I've seen bars where the "rock" music they play will be like The Strokes and shit

Probably because they reminded him of the dagos that used to beat him up in high school.

He makes awful, very gay music. The last thing the youth of today needs is another gay role model.

Chicago's first few albums were great, then they became full blown momrock. It happened way before Terry Kath's death.

People fuck to Chicago and Christgau don't fuck

Yeah, that has largely been my experience here in New York.
The Strokes are 21 years old, btw. It would be more impressive if they were playing music from young, non-legacy acts

>People fuck to Chicago
Yeah, people fuck babies to Chicago.

Huey Lewis

T
I
C
K
Y

What? I hear Panic at the Disco songs all the time.

Sammy Hagar is getting up there

They weren't from NYC or San Francisco so none of the rock critics like them.

Chistgau is a literal cuck

>Robert: My attitude toward Carola is, If there’s some asshole who doesn’t like her, fuck that person. I want nothing to do with them. It’s a gift that I’m letting you meet this person. I think she makes me much more lovable than I might otherwise be because people are so glad to see her.

Attached: 1554656652913.png (309x370, 113K)

Based

They got bad before Kath died, but they didn't become 100% irredeemable until the 80s started.

They weren't degenerate Greenwich village junkies

To this day, I can't hear Living in Stereo with out getting a mental picture of Phoebe Cates tits.

LOAF'd

>It’s a gift that I’m letting you meet this person
costanza.jpg

There's not much to play from young acts that is known enough to wide audiences and suitable for a bar atmosphere. The closest I've found was Kurt Vile's "Pretty Pimpin" and War on Drugs' "Red Eyes" and "Pain" which I have heard a bit in bars/restaurants in the past couple years, but both are kind of retro sounding and were radio hits with the 30+ crowd so it doesn't really count.

They also fucking sucked.

This. If Xgau was from Chicago, Cheap Trick would have been the Ramones.

That counts as rock?
What year was it where they became shitty, 1973 or so?

Kath was already on his way out of the band when he died. He had plans to start a new group that got back to the progressive sounds of Chicago's early days.

Based

Damn

Lemmy was in Hawkwind for a while before forming Motorhead

Yeah but Cheap Trick are good, Chicago sucks dick.

That's proof to me that rock is in fact dying
People will always say ACKHUALLY, you just have to dig deeper, but if it's gone from mainstream play, it is basically a dormant genre a la Jazz.

wtf I was listening to Weezer (Green) when I heard the news, that's spooky.

This is an actual big loss by the way, for those of you who've never listened to the Cars.

Attached: EEWsgMPVAAA15tU.jpg (321x321, 10K)

>That counts as rock?
It is.

Attached: 1544424826307.webm (487x686, 2.59M)

would have been based.

About 72 or 73 and after Kath's death they fell off a cliff. Look Away actually makes me shudder involuntarily.

F

Of course it is. But rock was dying even when it was still getting mainstream play. The last farts of post-grunge echoed on Top 40 radio until the early 2010s and that shit was all terrible.

What sort of "bar" are we talking about? Because you don't play Black in Black in a bugman hipster bar in Manhattan.

their earlier stuff was rock, but counting High Hopes as rock is a bit of a stretch.

based. rip

Keep in mind this is the same band that did If You Leave Me Now just 7 years later.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=j8aJiLUaWGI&list=PLVMgMdYqIEkboVaFK7HUlFXlRqa4DPXv6&index=7&t=0s

bye, bye love

Attached: 1529432219990.jpg (746x541, 43K)

>caring about the radio
What are you even doing on Yea Forums?

I would say Mainstream rock was still pretty healthy in the mid 00s, but it died quick after that wave ended.
Will rock ever come back, or should I just expect to keep listening to nothing but hip hop and rhythmic pop for the rest of my life?
I go to hipster bars in Brooklyn all the time and they mostly play 25+ year old music too.

>I hate the sort of snobbish attitude of the British underground scene where you get all these new bands saying, “oh yeah, we don’t really want to play a lot”. They think they’re being like the Fall, but the Fall didn’t play a lot because we couldn’t get any gigs! Simple as that. We’re like the Cars, we’ll play for anybody, you know what I mean? We never paid to play, though, that was our motto from the beginning.

Attached: Mark Smith.jpg (500x510, 47K)

East Atlanta, mostly 30 something dudes, with some 20-ish hipster types and some 40 - 60 dadrocker types.

Remember when he wrote a review of his and his wife's sex life?

This post talks about mainstream play, which I take to mean radio play. The stuff that's popular with, say, plays at parties probably start as radio hits too.

listening to the Cars while driving around town with my friends or my girlfriend were truly some of the best times of my life... rip

Because if the songs aren't getting on radio or Spotify's curated pop playlist, it will likely go largely unknown. It doesn't matter to me how good some hipster band in Flagstaff, Arizona is if I never hear them

Why do rockists refuse to accept that the definition of rock has changed?

>What are you even doing on Yea Forums?
Well nobody listens to the radio anymore, but still Spotify is the same shit. Rock is not present in the mainstream. And that's a fact.

After Peter Cetera left

>the definition has changed

You can't just post something this cringe and not provide a link

It has.

fuckkkkkkkk. at least that's a silver lining...

I always hear Ty Segall and Oh Sees and Jay Reatard and other garage rock kind of stuff in bars though. Granted they are fairly "hipster"/"bugman" whatever the fuck you're calling it these days.

When they say rock is dead, they mean why don't bands wear a giant wig and sing about teenage sluts anymore?

The biggest names in current rock (some of whom aren't really current because they've been around for so long and are legacy acts) struggle to get a few million youtube views on their songs.
That to me shows that it is not a living genre.

Can't believe the band that put out that Adult Contemporary shit in the late 70s and 80s also put this out
youtube.com/watch?v=gJ4eh2x2B1E

That’s why it’s very important for us to share our musical discoveries on here.

still no sticky? goddamn the mods here really are fucking dumb

I'm not a rock purist, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Imagine Dragons songs are produced a la Vegas EDM pop songs
true, but a lot of it is hipster garbage

>someone actually took my side

It's like Genesis going from "Lamb Lies Down" to "In Too Deep"

robertchristgau.com/xg/misc/sex-95.php

>Where married sex is imagined by the ignorant as a vast, barely arable plain, ours--as with most veteran couples who have much sex at all, I believe--is more like an elderly mountain range. Peaks and valleys may be less spectacular and severe in the Appalachians than the Rockies, but negotiating them isn't for chickenshits, and only those doomed by their upbringing to a lifetime of slippery slopes find the challenges and vistas a bore. Carola and I have been together for nearly 23 years, 20 of them married. Our fifth year was simply ecstatic, our eighth highly problematic, our 10th painfully sexed up, and so it goes. But for most of that time we both would have said that the best sex of our lives came that week in Jamaica in 1973 when we pursued our story during the day and fucked without will or forethought every night (except, as I recall, Monday). Little did we know what would begin in the wee hours following our 17th anniversary--technically proficient bad sex, weird insomnia, my miserable and terrified 6 a.m. confession that for over a year I'd been nurturing the secret hots for another woman, hours of rage and reassurance and general verbalization that were barely a foretaste of the months to come, and unexpected good sex that was barely a foretaste of the years to come.
>To the ignorant, this peccadillo may not seem like much. And indeed, while extramarital attractions can hurt, they can also seem laughable even to the other spouse. A secret attraction, however, is different. Most couples we know feel more or less this way, but with us mutual openness is a fetish. It dates back to a disastrous three-month affair (Carola's, the only time either of us has approached physical infidelity, you'll have to believe that) that left us totally intolerant of secrecy between us--which ain't privacy no matter what I-need-my-own-space cases claim.

Chicago liked to be fairly anonymous and "let the music speak for itself". Critics didn't like that because it sounded unnerving and fascist.

F.
Let the good times roll.

Imagine Dragons is just the 2010s Air Supply. Pay it no heed.

This is pretty tight

This fucking rules

Damn. I do like Chicago's bigger hits from a nostalgia standpoint, even the cheesy shit, but this is incredible. Where do I go from here?

>Camilo Sesto
>Eddie Money
>Ric Ocasek

Shitty week..

I love the song "I'm a Man"
It's a shame that sound didn't last too long with them

Ocasek is great and all, but I wish Orr got to perform vocals on more Cars songs. His voice was just the right amount of quirky.

Attached: Benjamin_Orr_(The_Cars).jpg (365x273, 14K)

>born in 1944
>first cars album 1978
>made him 34 yo at the time
that should make one feel hopeful

Their first album.

Dedicated to Varese btw

That's pretty crazy to me because most of the rockers back then were pretty young. I think the New Wave era is the first time 30+ year old rockers were very common

Rod Stewart

No sticky yet? Damn...

F

>this thread is gonna hit bump limit
>no sticky

F uck

I thought that bump limit was 300?

oh shit
rip mr porizkova

John Lennon had wondered if at 23 he was too old to play rock and roll.

Dumb newfag.

there are days when i will hear the cars on the radio driving into work, on the radio that plays at work, coming from the radio that plays out of other buildings, and hear them on the radio coming home from work all in the same day. ofc my personal commute favors classic rock, but if you claim you have never heard of the cars you just have a bad case of ligma.

It's 300 on /int/ and /pol/. Some boards have 310 and others 500.

Rock at the start was aimed at teenagers predominantly so I could see why someone playing in the early 60s (or 60s in general) might think that.

fuck mods

yeah the threshold was even younger when he started out.
That only applied to white music though, because there were soul musicians like James Brown who didn't even peak until his mid to late 30s.

nice

Attached: kirsten lindsmith.png (477x506, 513K)

Based and RIP

Pay yer respects.

youtube.com/watch?v=3dOx510kyOs
youtube.com/watch?v=1JnQfKIFERU
youtube.com/watch?v=K3SA5Z-cbC8
youtube.com/watch?v=KXpJ0bM5zbM
youtube.com/watch?v=L7Gpr_Auz8Y

Except Genesis managed to maintain a unique identity even in their pop phase, while Chicago didn't even have an identity in the 80s.

Yea Forums has changed a lot since 2013

Critics depended on labeling artists and boxing them in to a style or aesthetic, because then they don't have to put effort into critically analyzing the artist on the his own terms. When a band refuses to play that game, it scares them.

yeah, but JB was a genius
my guideline is 23-33 being the best years for creativity in popular music in every genre, except country and folk, which has a horizon that tends to extend a little further

Their first album is pretty much wall to wall Terry Kath shredding. Lots of good jammy jazz fusion freak outs mixed with smart prog-pop singles. Their second album is a little more composed, but nonetheless ambitious, and has great songs like 25 or 6 to 4 and Make Me Smile. Those albums are really the zenith of their career IMO.

why isn’t this faggot shit stickied?

he’s more prolific than fucking daniel johnston

he’ll be fine

True. 33 (at most) is also when pop stars tend to fade from relevancy

He's not Boomer Rock

John Lennon was a shithead commie

Attached: 1563490751763.jpg (952x960, 71K)

I usually don't do readings on the dead, but given his energy has yet to leave I was able to do a quick one just to see what happened to him.
>three of swords
>the priestess
>princess of disks
>ace of disks reversed
>two of swords
>five of disks reversed
I'm seeing suicide. I'm also seeing him wanting to say goodbye to two women in his life. I'm also sensing that he died with very little money to his name. He's feeling at peace now and his troubles are over.

Yes he is.

RIP keep on laughing Ric

I think a lot of folks are that way. As an aside, Moving in Stereo and All Mixed Up are a pretty great album-closing combo.

I only can think of Thriller. Fuck. Maybe Help! too
Such a based album

Everyone's dying this year, fuck.