Which synth company have you been the most happy with in the last five years...

Which synth company have you been the most happy with in the last five years? which synth company have you been least satisfied with in the last five years?

Attached: synthesizer? yeah.jpg (225x225, 8K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ju06eqjZqjE
youtube.com/watch?v=q4574yqvc04&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3f9MY8rjE9pZfEUju2fDedOSe249YS8wK_IxqfrHJrEq-EKBQ-caCnMVw
youtube.com/watch?v=yA281OuU3rk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bumping for synthfriends to save my thread

korg. i like pretty much everything i've used by them. least satisfied? idk i don't hate any piece of gear i've used. elektron is cool, yamaha and roland are ok.

next time you shill here don't be so obvious

i'm not shilling, Moog is doing okay but I'm not that satisfied with their output recently. I just looked up synthesizer and took the first image from it because I have no standard of quality for a synth thread

that's exactly what a shill would say

i dont have much money so i know nothing of in the hands experience, but i think its great that all roland korg and behringer are releasing these reissues that are very affordable and a great way to get into synthesis. i think i have heard something of behringer making a Synthi-A clone and im very excited. a lot of my favorite artists have used it. seems the new lifeblood is in modular though.

Korg and Roland were terrible. Novation updates often and has the only good modern polysynth on the market with the Novation Peak.

eh i'm skeptical of modular being anything more than the "guitar pedals" of the synth world. mostly about collecting and wank, i doubt that much good music comes out of it. from the technical side tho, i do see the appeal, especially how it could integrate back into more traditional formats like the moog dfam

the one thing that confused me about the peak and the summit were the names. If the summit is the more powerful synth, shouldn't it be the peak? They do sound pretty great though

>most
Sequential / Dave Smith
>least
Behringer, they're scum

i-is this the comfy synth thread?

Look mum I posted it again

phew I was getting worried

Attached: E07FD0C5-5EAA-412F-97E2-71A3BB0A8996.jpg (3823x2942, 3.92M)

OBXD, Dexed and E-MU is how i roll

Attached: md geist.gif (500x400, 497K)

Ok, what do the scrubby pads do?

those brass screws are nodes, or patch points, for the 42 oscillators and mulitiplexers of the instrument. You make connections with any conductive material, i.e your hands, patch cables, pot scrubbers, bananas etc.

Attached: 529E55B0-B6ED-4093-8E25-E944A2F86E15.jpg (4032x3024, 2.94M)

grandmother or minilogue xd?

SQ-80

based

I also like Korg's stuff. I can't say they are perfect, but for the price they were a really good intro to synthesis for me.

So what’s your setup this evening?

Attached: 1DD12641-5F9D-46C2-829B-7F151717E1F3.jpg (4032x3024, 3.11M)

Should I get a Volca FM and/or a Volca Modular as my first hardware synths, or should I increase my budget and try to get a TX81Z?

I’m exploring recursive feedback loops on the Serge.

Attached: 2A30BF69-A6DB-4244-B196-4F59EA22DC6B.jpg (4032x2749, 3.08M)

Woops wrong pic

Attached: 6262A1FF-2F01-47C7-8CE7-3B050CACB84A.jpg (3484x2610, 2.08M)

>11 Posters

lol

Hah now it’s 12 lol

Behringer's remake of the SH-101 made me rerally happy. looking fwd to the Crave too. It's a gift for all of us who don't earn a fortune.
I'm also very excited about the ASM Hydrasynth, that thing looks like good fun

>buying any analog synth made in the last 5 years

lmaoing @ ur life

serious response, it has been my experience with building a modular synth. overpriced, underpowered boutique shit and a god-awful investment. fun? sure, but you're spending money out of your asshole to build something resembling an actual, well-engineered synthesizer.

lmfao 14 uniques

when are you “keyboard players” going to learn musicians are not welcome here

Most: Behringer obviously.
Least: It's PICKLE SYYYNNNNNNNTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHH youtube.com/watch?v=Ju06eqjZqjE

do you already have a system bus mult?
youtube.com/watch?v=q4574yqvc04&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3f9MY8rjE9pZfEUju2fDedOSe249YS8wK_IxqfrHJrEq-EKBQ-caCnMVw

Thinking of buying an Akai 4000s before they all disappear since they are discontinued. Thoughts?

Attached: 2a4e971bff83717aa2e1d725b2e55a36.jpg (700x438, 16K)

Not pictured: Roland FA-06 connected to computer

Attached: IMG_4381.jpg (4032x3024, 2.75M)

>ASM Hydrasynth
I hope the Argon8 turns out nice aswell. It looks nicely compact with a sequencer on board.

The layout of the bass station is really confusing to me for some reason, I only messed with it for like 5 mins tho

going to say korg too. and I challenge anyone to tell me what's wrong with the memelogues. It's all quibbling, they're genuine awesome synths

Tfw analog is dying

Good riddance

why did they do this?
why?
their company is dead to me now

jesus christ it was sold out on the day of release, looking at the comments people were buying more than one

maybe. analog produced great instruments, not specifically because they were analog though. you'll always have access to solid state components if you wanna experiment with voltage and instability.

>most happy
Probably Korg since I still use my +5yr old microkorg and kp3 in my setup

>least happy
Also Korg because everything I bought in the last 5 years was poorly built, had ridiculous limitations or shat itself in less than a year

Novation has some cool stuff but they need to bury the Nova engine once and for all, it's not that good and they put it on everything

The Minilogue XD seems like a better option, apparently they got it right with that one. Grandmother is overkill for a monosynth imo

Will probably spend the day polishing some tracks on my MPC. But made a really nice drone patch yesterday fiddling with my old mk1 I'll probably hook them up to see what comes out

Why do you want an FM synth as your first? It's not fun to program and most modern ones are limited because "muh dx7". Both volca and reface dx only have 32 patch slots which is beyond stupid since the TX81Z is 20yrs older and has more memory (and is multitimbric). Volcas are shit anyways and the modular is apparently the worst one.

Thats the gayest looking setup I've seen in a long time. Either you're a homo or have serious OCD, either way, bet it doesn't look as neat and clean when you actually plug in the gear

>I challenge anyone to tell me what's wrong with the memelogues.
Filter is utter shit and sounds more digital than some VAs, no option to manually tune them when the "self tuning" goes to shit (it does, prologue being the worst offender), polyphony sounds like shit in the miniloge, major bugs that require firmware updates to get fixed, etc.
The little screen is gr8 thou for learning basic synthesis by watching the waveforms

their synths from the last couple years haven’t been too bad. ive used a behringer replica minimoog and its a nice full sound, practically the same.

>The little screen is gr8
bait post, dropped

Literally the only synth I'll ever need.

Attached: IMG_20190908_115847213.jpg (3264x1632, 1.27M)

Imagine owning an expensive synth and not being a successful musician

imagine being most creative people

>Filter is utter shit
on the mini sure but the mini is not about riding the filter, on the mono and pro no it's smooth and juicy.
>no option to manually tune them when the "self tuning" goes to shit
nah it's fine, and prologue got updated to fix its issues, it you don't like things going out of tune why get an analogue?
>polyphony sounds like shit in the miniloge
*citation needed*

>prologue got updated to fix its issues, it you don't like things going out of tune why get an analogue?
All analogs go out of tune sooner or later, that's why they can be tuned manually by the user. Relying on firmware updates to fix that is retarded. Imagine if your expensive prologue goes out of tune in 3yrs when they drop support and korg doesnt give any more updates, you are pretty much fucked.
A lot of monologues had tuning issues as well and it got it's first firmware update recently after being 2yrs in the market and doubt it will get another one (if it even fixed that issue). Its a shame because beside that, the Mono had gr8 potential

are you genuinely setting a standard of "analog synth that stays perfectly in tune" why would that exist

Was also thinking of getting a 5000 since it seems to do real instruments significantly better and is easier to interface with modern hardware, but those are all moot points when the 4000s has such cool analog sounds

Attached: EWI5000-large.jpg (750x347, 18K)

>they drop support and korg doesnt give any more updates, you are pretty much fucked
still supporting the microkorg coming on two decades later. And from what I've heard of the original Minibrutes have got a physical tuner accessed via screwdriver and they still have drift issues that cannot be corrected due to not having firmware. Synth is an interesting place where people love technology but remain luddites.

No, its korg who believes that. The user should be able to tune it manually, not depending on their firmware update cycle, that is the issue with the *loges
If they added a small hidden knob somewhere to fix that we wouldn't be having this argument.
They clearly are following a business model for ppl to upgrade their synths every 2-3yrs.

Based

>still supporting the microkorg coming on two decades later.
What support? The editor has been unusable since Vista and it's a synth that's been in producion since release. All the issues it might had where fixed by the second batch.

>Minibrutes have got a physical tuner accessed via screwdriver and they still have drift issues that cannot be corrected due to not having firmware.
It has a tuning pop-up knob easily accessible AND that screw in case it fails. Also, it had some firmware updates but are more focused on adding new options or fixing issues with the sequencer. The tuning part is handled by the user or repairman, it's a bitch to wait +15 minutes for the oscilator to warm up and tune correctly but thats how an analog synth should work, at least a budget one

>bet it doesn't look as neat and clean when you actually plug in the gear

What are you talking about? The only things not plugged in are the mpc and sk-1 since they're both battery powered. Everything else goes into the mixer on the right.

Based and cable managed.

so to summarise:
Firmware, physical intervention, waiting for it to warm up, and sending it for repairs = good!
Firmware that does all of the above = bad!

k

Korg is in complete chaos mode again since that Minilogue designer left

memes aside behringer are doing well lately. Odyssey "inspired" synth sounds great, K-2 looks ok. My neutron is still sounding solid and is great for fucking around. crave is going to be the cheapest way of dabbling with modularity out there once it's out, although i dont think it sounds particularly good.

90% of people that go "full modular" and shun semi don't need to go full modular and could achieve what they do by linking a few semi's and maybe adding a module if needed. most of these several thousand dollar youtube tier setups are used for "ambient generative jams" that you can do on any semi modular.
it's the synth world equivalent of more expensive equals better tone. it pisses me off because you can create interesting stuff to use in songs with modular systems but almost all songs that you see made are made solely with a sequencer and 75 patch cables.

>K-2
youtube.com/watch?v=yA281OuU3rk

i mean i'm not buying one but for what it is it does seem cool. doesn't fit with my style at all.

What are some albums that make prominent use of wavetable synthesis?

youtube searched ambient modular jam

they're all eurorack at an "artsy" angle with a plant, architecture, cityscape, or candles in the background

aesthetic

>missing the point this hard
I bet you own a lot of Apple products

Nah, Korg was still living off the sales of the microkorg, kp3 and workstations when he arrived, he helped revive the company with the monotron and all the budget analogs that came later. It's still a mess and the Prologue is the best proof

followup actual question are there any actual good synth overview / reviewers that don't just play acid house and actually do complete overviews of various synths.

>missing the point this hard
no, I understand your reasoning and acknowledge your selective example of a single Korg product that doesn't have support. And appreciate your assumption that society and the Internet will collapse at any moment making Korg products difficult to update if you are bad at computers and stuff so they might difrt out of tune by a few percent if society collapses.

most satisfied with: elektron and mfb. and mutable instruments for the open source stuff i guess.

The problem with most synth reviewers is that they make them as soon as they get the gear, so it's basically like a spec sheet with sound and a dude talking.
Nick Batt sometimes get out of his way to show the stuff he doesnt like but only implies it. A good example is his SE-02 review, while he is showing it's features he wiggles the knobs a lot to show how filmsy they are.

this is my main issue too. most of them don't really take the time to go in depth because you gotta get your review out before everyone else to get views.
Loopop is the only one I know of that actually does the research and goes in depth with most controls on the synths he reviews.

dafuq are you on?
Imagine spending $1500 on a Prologue just to find half of the keybed is completely out of tune but "korg will fix it with this firmware update". How can you trust that it wont shit itself in a year?
At least they got it fast, monologue users had to wait 2 years and if they still had warranty they would just be given a new one instead of fixing it, really makes you trust the brand doesnt it?
It's not just notes drifting, its half of the keybed going 1 or 2 semitones off. Thats not a common issue in any synth, analog or digital.
The KaossPad mini 2S has a couple of major issues, is still in production and no fix as of yet and probably never. Society doesnt need to collapse for a company to be greedy and lazy

mfb is tight as fuck. i have a tanzbar lite and want a tanzmaus, really curious about their synths as well.
if you're into any kind of house Ricky Tinez is solid

ooh ive seen this guy pop up on my feed. i'll check out some stuff, thanks

hahahah just imagine...

they fixed everything in the memelogues though. That's what we were talking about? Move those goal posts. I'm not advocating buying toys like kaoss pads or volcas and shit.

Yeah it's true bro
I can't understand why people still play piano if they can use samples
Are you retarded or what? The majority of the historical analogue synthesizers (A.R.P. Moog etc.) can't be just simply recreated in digital. And that's the reality for everything, you are not retarded but deaf.

an instrument like the tr-808 is innovative because of the controls it has and the format it's in, not because every triggered hi hat sounds 1 percent different because of analog components
I use analog synths and samples of analog synths and they sound identical. the only difference is being able to tweak the sounds on the fly. once cheap digital gets past steppy knob tweaking artifacts it will be functionally the same experience. no one can tell the difference between a VST and the real thing in a mastered recording.

i was going to dignify this with a response and then decided it was likely not worth it. please read your last sentence over and think about why you are wrong.

Maybe because Roland tr series generates these sounds with many simple sine waves?
You picked the most stupid example because you don't know what you're talking about

Attached: B16TVYYv3jS._SS500_.jpg (500x500, 79K)

lol you probably listen to vinyl and put crystals next to your speakers to purify the sound

keep rationalizing gearspammer

Guys, is there any modern hardware synth that can do PPG Wave sounds? It has a very distinct sound and I've not come across anything other than the software version or sample libraries that come close to it.

not particularly. my music is mostly formed digitally and I use a lot of soft synths. without digital stuff I'd be spending thousands to recreate.

my point is the ignorance of saying nobody can tell the difference. you obviously can if you listen and understand the underlying digital structure of analog recreation synths. the average person cannot but a lot of people that use both can. put a prophet next to arturias prophet and tell me they sound the sound.

sound the same** fuck

im not an analog apologist and I think most people overvalue the sound to an absurd degree when they could get it much better digitally.

I agree it's important if it informs your process
Put it in a mix and find me a sane person that gives a single fuck
There's as much variation in analog alone as there is in the difference between analog and VA

The Waldorf Blofeld contains all the original waves as far as I know. It's not a very sweetspot heavy synthesizer though. Another alternative is the microwave XT but that is quite expensive these days. There are two new wavetable synthesizers that are about to get released near the end of the year, one of them is the ASM Hydrasynth and one is the Argon8. The Blofeld is readily available and also quite inexpensive. You can find them for 200-300 buchs used in Europe and for about 400-500 as a keyboard version with sample support that the desktop module needs to have unlocked.
In terms of software there are Largo (Blofeld digital clone by Waldorf) and the PPG Wave 2.V and 3.V also by Waldorf.Wolfgang Palm, the original creator of the PPG synthesizer, still actively develops software.

As another user posted. The Blofeld is your only option at a decent price point, but keep in mind that it doesn't play well with other gear, for some reason it always gets lost in the mix, no matter how many compresors or gain boosters you add to it (heard the newer ones have better gain output than the original white one).
That's why I ended up selling mine, too frustrating althou miss some tricks I could pull off playing with the envelopes.

I'm interested in the Volcas because of their size mostly. I'm pretty limited on space in my current living situation. They're also not expensive. With the TX81Z, it's something that I actually have access to use at school, so while I put some more money away I can be learning how to use it. A TG33 is something else I can use at school and would want, but those appear to go for quite some more.

I'm basically looking for something not too big or expensive that will last me a while. It also doesn't need a built in controller since I have a couple of keyboards for that already.

though I like the sounds of the minilogue, I also wish it would have a tuning knob. I've had a few rough situations live

>that will last me a while
Then forget about the Volcas, the knobs break way too easily and you cant control the parameters via MIDI.
The Microfreak looks promising, havent used one but it's portable and can do a lot of stuff for the pricepoint, you can even remove it's keybed and make it modular without losing warranty (I think).
Too bad the Digitone is so pricey, has some dope features for an FM synth/groovebox

Ahh forget about that other user above, I've got a Volca FM and it fits my setup just fine, Sure, knobs are flimsy but they wont break if you don't smash that box on the floor. It provides much Bang for the buck, if that's what youre after. Also get yourself Some FX pedals and you're good as gold for a start

Akai - I love my MPC Live. I'm glad I'm on 2.6 and don't have the bug problems others do

Hexinverter - I love their Mutant drums and cannot wait for the Mindphaser. I bet it'll get more use than my Hertz Donut 2

Make Noise - they are always doing something fun. I have a complete Make Noise system, and I am super glad to see they are leading the stereo out movement in Euro

Noise Engineering - they don't stop. I can't keep up with them, and their most recent two distortion of the month modules ( Seca and Viol Ruina) are so fun.

Elektron has always treated me nice. I make great use out of their sequencers, they work as great hubs, and it's easy to get on them and start making little jams. Every now and then I wonder if I'm using the entry level tier babysynths and if I should look into more serious instruments but then I remember I'm having fun, so who cares?

Korg has probably been my least favorite that I've tried. It's like they have great ideas but I never appreciate the sounds I get out of them. Volcas? Great mini devices, you can build up a small collection over time to make something neat but, can't get the best sounds. Minilogue? Love the screen, the polyphony, the price, can't get the sounds I want. Ms-20? About the perfect size for a semi-modular desktop, don't like the sounds.

Twice a year or so, I get the urge to try the minilogue and I go to the store and try one, but for the life of me I can't get the sounds I want. Everything sounds tinny and digital.

Attached: analog four.jpg (1800x1208, 354K)

that's the main thing that stops me from getting a minilogue. that I said i generally run my synths through pedals so i can't tell how it would sound amp'd through my board in a store. i don't really want to buy one just to be disappointed though

>tinny and digital
I'd agree that the minilogue sounds a bit "cold" or whatever, but that's not exactly a negative. It has it's own character and it's not trying to be a thick, saturated MS-20 or anything. It's not tinny though, has an almost obnoxious mid range that has to EQ'd out either side of 200hz range As far as sounding "digital" safe to say that's not a legitimate criticism of anything

anyone tried a minilogue XD? is it worth the extra money? Will it end up aging better than the prologue?

What kind of pedals? Because if you already have a shitton, it will not matter much, you can do just fine with a Microbrute (paired with just a G1ON it's a whole different world).
Otherwise you're better off with any VA that has plenty of effects built in

Never tried one but from what I heard its like a Minilogue done right. If they added some DCOs it's a no brainer, if it keeps the VCOs from the original it might face the same tuning issue

>once cheap digital gets past steppy knob tweaking artifacts
It’s not knob tweaking artifacts, it’s being able to bring modulation to audio rate without Aliasing. However this isn’t just ‘simple fix’, we likely won’t even see this in our lifetime.

why are there more vco synths than dco synths these days? is it just because "muh pure analog" or is there a good reason for vcos to be favored? I like the sound of vcos but it makes me so anxious using them on stage.

it is just that
"digital" has become a dirty word these days (unfortunately)

i kinda like roland the most
their stuff are set up in a retarded way that seems just right for me some how

im hype for the mc-101 too

Attached: img_products_01.jpg (1600x922, 357K)

Post pictures of famous synthesizers as anime girls.

I kinda wanna get a hardware synth cause I feel like working on a computer stifles my creativity.
Any recs for something affordable but decent for a beginner that already knows a bit about subtractive synthesis? (I fucked around with VCV rack for a while)

Too bad it's $499, they dropped the ball hard there. Their grooveboxes are classics but so are Electribes and they go for half that price.
If it wasn't for that I would be already pre-ordering one anyways. Had an MC-303, utter-shit but was fun as hell and sounded pretty good (at least the drums)

do you want a monosynth or polysynth? what is your price range? What music do you want to create with it/ what synth music influences you? these are important questions that will direct you in the right way.

>lol 34 posters

i feel you
i brought a broken mc 808 that works perfectly except for the sd card so i only have like 7 mb of space to work with and i hate it

Attached: maxresdefault (2).jpg (1280x720, 166K)

LZX best manufacturer

Attached: 20190915_141052[1].jpg (3264x2448, 2.97M)

Someone needs to make a virgin Moog vs the chad Behringer meme

Probably polysynth, although I do love the fat sound of a moog. A monophonic synth seems a bit too limited (or specific rather) for just fucking around with as a first synth.
I'm mostly a doom metal/stoner/psychedelic kinda guy, but purely synth wise I like the sounds of Perturbator a lot.
Price range I have no idea what is realistic. What does 100 bucks get me?

$100 won't get you shit, you're looking at at least a 300 and more likely 500+ outlay to get a poly.

pls gib more info on the vizualisation screen, user.
did you do it yourself?

100 bucks won't get you very much hardware unless you find a good deal on something used. If you're on a more limited budget(under 300 bucks), there are some decent analog monosynths, but if you want a polysynth I'd recommend maybe a virtual analog. They can be a good start to mess around with hardware. A lot of people swear by the microkorg, though I've never used one.

guess I'll stick with my midi controller and software then for now
those kinds of purchases are for when I have more disposable income available (which is zero right now, lmao)

The modular setup is comprised of video modules, the monitor is displaying the patch pictured

there are used microkorgs going for under 250 bucks and those are ebay prices, so that's not too bad. You could also look up the novation mininova. I'm not a huge fan of the sound of that one, but they are cheap and it could be a start. Godspeed, user.

that's fair. Synth gear can be pretty ridiculous sometimes, and it's more important that you're working on music anyway.

>What does 100 bucks get me?
A casiotone/yamaha psr + zoom g1on is your best bet for that money.
The dude from OM uses a Minibrute that is a monophonic synth, so maybe a Microbrute on sale? paid $175 for mine because they where launching the SE (that's actually the same in different color) and getting rid of their stock

your wish is my command

Attached: chad vs virgin.png (2048x1024, 862K)

That's not entirely true. A lot of modern VCO synths have such stable oscillators that you'd be fucking braindead to prefer DCOs. Look at the prophet 6 and OB6 for example. Hell even the minilogue is reliable enough with its automatic tuning tables.

Almost 50% of modern analogue synthesizers have virtual analogue oscillators, so wavetable or numerically controlled etc.
An example? The novation peak's Oxford oscillators some years ago, the clavia synthesizers series and so on...
Where have you been in the last 20 years?

very nice

i run most things through my board, primarily for delay and a clean boost into an amp. it's more to have a relatively affordable polysynth for live. i use arturia v primarily (also run out through the board) but my laptop is not suitable for live and would explode.

>you'd be braindead to prefer VCOs
Yeah I'll keep my preset recall tyvm.

Fuck it I dropped 700 bucks on one. It's too unique to let pass by and it lets me practice my time and shit at night whenever I feel like. Gotta upgrade my desktop a bit to use it as a midi controller though

Attached: YawningAmpleAndeancondor-max-1mb.gif (500x281, 936K)

be aware that the "buttons" or whatever you'd like to call them are not actual buttons that press, but just contacts that activate on touch. I was hoping they would activate when depressed, but its merely on touch.

aye, i have been Looking up lzx modules, makes for some trippy stuff. thanks for bringing it up

Yeah, it's gonna be a weird adjustment but I don't mind. I was also miring the Roland Aeorphone, might get that sometime to use as a midi controller more than for the sounds since they suck

>affordable polysynth for live
A used microkorg might be your best bet if you want to play with knobs live. If you just need certain sounds you might consider a ROMpler/GM Module or look into the Casio CZ line, they usually go for cheap and are decent synths, but a pain to program, or a kawai k1, althou you might need some fx wizardry to make it sound decent

Good, I’ll buy up all of them for cheap

what is the pilotredsun synth?

For me it’s been the entire Eurorack market.

Since I’ve been using Ableton, I’ve always tried to build a good functional system with midi controllers and complex midi maps to allow for easier song creation. All was great with that, except it was incredibly fragmented. Some controllers were plug in play, some need extra software, some need max4live, plus some of these controllers use multiple midi channels to function creating inherent conflicts with certain combinations. Then if I want to change or tweak my setup months later it becomes a nightmare to remember how everything was configured to change it. Felt like I was walking on eggshells when working on projects.

But with Eurorack there is a module for everything now, i can build a complete system to work just how I want it to work.. And if I want to change the flow later on, I can just repatch.

fx wizardry not really a problem, I'm primarily a sound designer. you know what i hadn't really considered a microkorg but a used one would be good. polysynths are mostly additive to my live stuff and not really the focus so im fine with something a little cheaper. the majority of my knob fiddling comes from semi-modulars and pedals. thanks user