/jazz/

General jazz thread

What is your favorite subgenre of jazz and your favorite album within that subgenre?

Attached: R-5852108-1525571711-2053.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 178K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/eQxMwFYLId8?t=166
youtube.com/watch?v=w6PfwriXJbs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I like a lot of post bop. Favorite is probably Money Jungle

Early jazz and big band.

Bebop.
Parker and Gillespie - Bird and Diz [1953]

Originally I liked hard bop best because of the energy and sense of melody. Then I got really into free jazz because I thought it was the most creative and energetic.

Now I realize that post-bop is the perfect balance between musical creativity and talent and melodicism in jazz.

What do you say or show to a friend who says that jazz is all just boring wank or all sounds the same or whatever?

the LICC

I play Grover Washington and David Sanborn when they’re around and tell them that’s what jazz is

or what about someone who says that jazz can never be on the same level as classical?

I would say that they are right in a lot of ways but that conversely there are some aspects about classical that can’t really compare to jazz.

you only enjoy jazz if you play jazz yourself.

im listening

Attached: Impressions Of Mary Lou.jpg (600x593, 182K)

free jazz/avantgarde/fusion

The original show tunes from the 30s and 40s , I suppose they were still 'jazz' before be-bop. Then it's the mid 50s to mid 60s I suppose but I'm not very knowledgeable, Chet, Thelonius, Powell, Coltrane, Evans, and all the rest of the gang.

Sub genre? I just don't know enough about it. Free jazz, fusion, original tea dance music is fun in small doses. I like Mike Stern, some of his albums make me think of New Yoik as seen on tv with hot dogs and trendy apartment blocks and woody allen walking past.

Agree with them, jazz isn't an easy music to convert people to.

I know the argument to dispute this, but apples and ears you know?

Sean Hughes was a big fan.

favorite genre is free jazz, favorite album is pic

Attached: albert ayler.jpg (436x388, 24K)

psychedellic jazz funk

Attached: budosband.jpg (1584x1480, 337K)

70s jazz is so shit. I wish they just stopped making jazz for about 15 years straight after Coltrane died. Classic jazz is fantastic, but entry plebs don't like it because it's singles based.

worng

Opinions on London scene jazz? I don’t like most of what I’ve heard but I do know that it’s really popular and introducing people to jazz who might not get into it otherwise.

What is it that you don't like of what you've heard?

Play to their tastes. People get into jazz after finding one or two things they really like then jumping down the rabbit hole to find more of that

around 1967 is when jazz peaked but the 70s had good shit from miles davis, alice coltrane, sun ra, hancock, don cherry, etc. the 80s is when jazz shouldve retired.

Do you guys consider this to fall under jazz? They're mostly thought of as a prog rock group but this instrumental is most often described as jazz and it was done in the 70's when a lot of lines were blurring. I just find it hard to definitively say it isn't jazz.

youtu.be/eQxMwFYLId8?t=166

This is a nice night, fellas, isn't it?

youtube.com/watch?v=w6PfwriXJbs

Attached: New York Street Scenes, 1950s (3).jpg (1200x820, 154K)

thanks for reminding about this one. the way miles uses space is just fucking insane man.

It mostly sounds like they’re covering up for a lack of musical ability and creativity with the same gimmick.

What's the gimmick?

Hip hop beats and an ill-defined “spiritual” image

I understand.

NY scene is better

Attached: criss cross pill.jpg (2500x2188, 1.72M)

>but entry plebs don't like it
oh the irony...

rolling because literally no jazz I listen to isnt at least 20 years old lol, gotta catch up

Attached: highwater.jpg (1280x720, 70K)

Im listening

Attached: Dizzy Gillespie And Stuff Smith.jpg (599x600, 142K)

rolling

This seems like it should be fantastic but it’s always disappointing when I actually listen to it. It’s ok but not as good as it seems like it should be.

I think House of India kinda blew the rest of the album out of the water. no pun intended

rolling for this exact reason

I hate to complain, but is it possible that we can get some more detailed categorization/descriptions/subgenres for modern jazz charts?

I really gravitate towards hard bop and post-bop, but I've been listening to a lot of these guys lately (Dead Neanderthals, that is).

Attached: a3230604561_16.jpg (700x700, 84K)