Is my dad right?

I was talking with my dad about music from insane people like Wesley Willis and GG Allin, and he said this to me: “I don’t want to listen to music by a schizophrenic. Music is a very spiritual thing, and I’m not going to listen to music by people with diseased spirits”
For context, he likes Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Elvis Presley, and lots of jazz

Attached: 362772E4-3576-4AD4-A704-B1F3E48AE465.jpg (717x912, 134K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VtgYvUpto4M
youtube.com/watch?v=jNn72qnp6kI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That shrink dude in Ordinary People was pretty cool

>I’m not going to listen to music by people with diseased spirits
>listens to a bunch of jew musicians

Attached: 1560865650272.png (311x249, 91K)

Does he like Thelonious Monk?

Yes

Jews > goyim

Fuck off /pol/

>The documentary film Thelonious Monk: Straight, No Chaser (1988) attributes Monk's quirky behavior to mental illness. In the film, Monk's son says that his father sometimes did not recognize him, and he reports that Monk was hospitalized on several occasions owing to an unspecified mental illness that worsened in the late 1960s. No reports or diagnoses were ever publicized, but Monk would often become excited for two or three days, then pace for days after that, after which he would withdraw and stop speaking. Doctors recommended electroconvulsive therapy as a treatment option for Monk's illness, but his family would not allow it; antipsychotics and lithium were prescribed instead.[23][24] Other theories abound: Leslie Gourse, author of the book Straight, No Chaser: The Life and Genius of Thelonious Monk (1997), reported that at least one of Monk's psychiatrists failed to find evidence of manic depression (bipolar disorder) or schizophrenia. Another doctor maintains that Monk was misdiagnosed and prescribed drugs during his hospital stay that may have caused brain damage.

No, your dad is a retarded boomer. And his favorite musicians are all kikes

Imagine not having mental illness

Attached: 1557437551355.jpg (1000x1000, 133K)

Lmao I’ll show him that
His favorite musicians aren’t the only thing that’s jewish

your father is based in his own way and this probably stems from some sort of religious belief or religious upbringing

listen to what you want to, your dad listens to music to fulfill a different need than you do.

You're probably not mentally ill, you're just using small issues as an excuse.

GG Allin is just try-hard and not worth listening to. But to dismiss people like Daniel Johnson, Syd Barret or Brian Wilson just because they had mental problems is the dumbest thing you can do.

Wasn't Beethoven a manic depressive?

My dad is incredibly religious, that’s no joke.
Daniel Johnston is actually how the discussion irl got started. He hasn’t heard of him and read the wikipedia page on him. The airplane incident really put him off
>In 1990, Johnston played at a music festival in Austin, Texas. On the way back to West Virginia on a private two-seater plane piloted by his father Bill, Johnston had a manic psychotic episode; believing he was Casper the Friendly Ghost, Johnston removed the key from the plane's ignition and threw it outside. His father, a former US Air Force pilot, managed to successfully crash-land the plane, even though "there was nothing down there but trees". Although the plane was destroyed, Johnston and his father emerged with only minor injuries. As a result of this episode, Johnston was involuntarily committed to a mental hospital.[17]
He likes some Pink Floyd and Beach Boys, but he doesn’t know much about them. Plays them very rarely too

based

I think most great art is made by mentally unstable people. It takes someone who doesn't think normally and sees things outside of the box to really create something new and unique. Music isn't about how intelligent or well educated you are, it comes from the soul.

Your dad didn't go through what Wesley Willis went through.

(GG Allin was a bit of a sick wing nut though. But then again I don't know what it was like to live in fear of the fact that one day your father would snap and kill the whole family. GG knew that al too well, though)

stop romanticizing mental illness you privileged ass. anybody can make good music

But can they make GREAT music?

Anyone CAN make good music, but a lot of the best music has come from people with some form of mental illness, even if it’s just mild depression. It’s not romanticizing it to state a fact.

your dad has a closed mind regarding music. Music can express spirituality but it can also express chaos or anything really. It's a shame you share the genetics of such an ignorant and frankly retarded person.

Fuck you. Don't talk about my dad like that ever again. Eat shit. My dad has better taste than 90% of this board

>His favorite musicians aren’t the only thing that’s jewish
what else is i dont get it

I will speak about your little dick dad however I please. He has a rigid mindset. He is unwilling to think outside the box.

You'd know.

a guy with a free jazz collection like his is clearly willing to think outside the box

i for one think your dad sounds like he has great taste

and yet he seems to believe that only someone who is clear of mind and spirit can create compelling music? Sounds like a pseud to me

no, you're dad is a fucking retarded
>diseased spirits
this isn't the middle ages, fucking savage
superstitious piece of bigoted shit. fuck your dad OP

>You are dad
>is a fucking retarded

hohohohohoho

based dad triggering his faggot son

I used to cringe at johnston and willis et al but I was fucking 16 and insecure as shit. Your dad is crazy and bottling it up

No I love my dad and I don’t like the musicians listed, I just thought it was an interesting way to phrase it. “Music is a very spiritual thing, and I’m not going to listen to music by people with diseased spirits”
Nah he’s a good man

where to start with wesley? been seeing him a lot recently, especially after listening to this song youtube.com/watch?v=VtgYvUpto4M

explain why youre a terrible person

fuck this trash explaining aesthestic knowledge as a subset of illness.

youre dads not wrong, especially given your click bait examples. art is fundamentally about creating and reinforcing a state of consciousness and enjoyment and culture. think about the room you will die in: does it have gg allin posters and no family? does it have great grand children? does it have sunlight? I mean, t5hats where we're at. what are you surrounding yourself with and supporting? Wesley willis? good for him if youre his therapist, but come on? who the fuck really likes foot foot? shits trash.

I listen to Minimal Man but mostly I agree with him yeah.

this

>believing in spirits
Ha what a faggot

Spirits are real you dumbass

Yeah what's your proof?

If I didn’t have a spirit, I couldn’t type this comment

Bob Dylan literally sold his soul to Satan, plus he's Jewish.

youtube.com/watch?v=jNn72qnp6kI

Yeah you could. Your brain functions are just a series of chemical reactions. There's no supernatural element to it.

Of course you can be spiritually sick. If you don’t even realize the importance of beliefs or aren’t aware of your own, then you are truly fucked if you don’t happen to have had excellent parents.

Maybe you can but considering someone with mental illness "spiritually sick" and therefore unable to make good music is just stupid.

I think he's right about music being a spiritual thing, but extremely dumb when it comes to soul and mental illness.

Spirits aren’t real, but that way of thinking about it is ironically still functional, because it ends up partly being a conceptual handle for something actual, even if there is also some superstitious impurity mixed in

Well, I’m not his dad, but I don’t think he means it can’t be good art. I think it’s more likely he thinks listening to certain music is spiritually unhealthy. Almost like listening to bad news all the time makes you think the world is worse off than it is. It’s a purist approach to spirituality, but that’s his business

you're dad's stupid and it looks like it's genetic.

t. retarded materialist
I understand his point in not wanting to be affected by music from someone with a mental illness, it is a spiritual artform that plays deeply on your emotions and requires a certain amount of empathy and engagement on your part - so I imagine his concern is the "danger" that engaging with a sick person's warped perspective presents. Understandable, if fairly narrow minded.

Well to be fair everyone likes to think that they have the good vantage point, and the other person is the narrowminded one. Maybe he is just very aware of how music affects him, even if it is subtle and easily survivable, and wants it to be purely a positive force on him, and that’s how he does his life. Maybe he is particularly sensitive to it, and has noted that, and remedied it this way. It doesn’t have to be narrowminded at all

You can’t listen to music that is fucking up your vibe though, if you are trying to stay out of dark weird spaces why listen to music that might bring you into those? Why not just listen to stuff that keeps you in your good mood

You are the retard if you think that’s a counterpoint

Fair point. Though I can almost guarantee that he unknowingly listens to at least some music made by mentally ill artists, so I can't imagine his view holds much weight in that context.