What is the appeal of Godspeed you! Black Emporer, Yea Forums?

What is the appeal of Godspeed you! Black Emporer, Yea Forums?

Attached: 1567271619507.jpg (480x480, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

xylouriswhiteshop.bandcamp.com/album/the-sisypheans
youtube.com/watch?v=FkNI7blw3QA
theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/25/godspeed-you-black-emperor-polaris-music-prize
pitchfork.com/news/52403-godspeed-you-black-emperor-respond-to-polaris-prize-win-fucking-insane/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

it's radiohead for people who think they're too smart for radiohead

They're a twinkly brand of crescendo-core that's nice to listen to if you have the time. Personally, I prefer Talk Talk's style of post-rock.

I'm not really quite sure what the appeal is. There are some parts of their music that are quite good but then they layer the rest with shittily done drone passages and absolutely ridiculous attempts at LE SO DEEP field recordings and voice samples that the whole thing comes together to be a bore. They need to learn what track separation is. I don't listen to rap but I imagine that rap skits have the same type of issue to where people will listen to them a couple of times all the way through before they just skip them since they start to become an annoyance.
I know John Cage wrote 433 to show that anything can be music, but I truly don't think that things like Godspeed's annoying voice samples are music and they should be separated from the track as such. The band wants them to be a part of the music so bad that they force the listener to hear it each time but that's just because the band is pretentious (if you don't believe so just look up some controversy about them and you'll see what I mean)

That would be Radiohead.

Soundtrack music

music that sounds good

I always figured it's supposed to be something you sort of imagine a movie with. For instance the song Sleep, with the intro that talks about "Not sleeping on coney island's beach anymore", I imagine the beaches have cleared out, the buildings have rusted, and nature has taken over again, and with that, the rest of New York is much the same.

>GYBE
>twinkly

I don't think you know what twinkly means

>ADHD Zoomer can't sit through a voice sample and resorts to buzzwords

Come back when you're 18, son.

it's one of the very few bands whose music truly deserves the label "cinematic". Listing to GYBE makes me feel like I am watching a movie.

>ADHD Zoomer can't sit through a voice sample and resorts to buzzwords
seriously? I resorted to less buzzwords than you just did in a sentence that was a 25th the size of my post retard. I listen to plenty of music that your "ADHD Zoomers" couldn't get through without getting bored. Just because I don't enjoy shitty voice samples doesn't mean I have ADHD. If you want to do a good voice sample then put it over some music and make it part of the music, use the vocals as a layer in the music. But don't go fucking stop the entire album just to input some dumb voice sample and expect people to like it.
There's a big difference between someone who refuses to listen to something because they are an "ADHD zoomer" and someone who refuses to listen to something because they've listened to enough music to the point that they can call out bullshit where they see it

Here's what I'm listening to right now, please explain how I'm an ADHD Zoomer if I'm listening to this without getting bored
xylouriswhiteshop.bandcamp.com/album/the-sisypheans

wow your so cool

and you're a retard

background music

When exactly do Gods Pee 'stop' the music just to insert a voice sample?

Kind of overrated lol

Those who say otherwise haven't listened to enough music

I'm not going to go ahead and find the exact spot since I don't really listen to them anymore and can't remember what timestamp it is but the coney island sample is one example. You have a drone passage or something that just kind of fades out and goes into the voice sample, which plays with zero music in the background. It's just a pure voice sample in between the music which plays after.

bleng
blong bleng
PWEEEEEEEEEEEE
dundundundundundundunDUNDUNDUNDUNDUNDUDNDUNDUN
bleeeeeeeeoooooooooooong
"and the machine is bleeding, and the government doesn't trust us"
BWEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG
BWONG BWONG BWONG BWONG BWOOOOOOONG
pweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
dun dun.
dun dun.
dun dun.

Attached: sgbwarsfz.png (400x336, 34K)

I get your concern. I can't corroborate as I listen to actual drone/field recordings sometimes.

I like drone, but it has to be good drone like this.
youtube.com/watch?v=FkNI7blw3QA
Field recordings with no accompaniment? Yeah definitely not for me

Sleep starts with the skit, though. The drone section you're talking about is the outro to the song before it.

Either way it's in between the actual music. It doesn't matter if it's at the end of track or beginning or in the middle. It needs to be in its own track otherwise it's intruding on the music itself

If the complaint is they need to “learn what track separation is”, and the sampled spoken words break up the tracks, I don’t know what to tell you

I didnt listen to it a second time

godspee is ab concept albums

It needs to be its own track, what's hard to understand about that?
>the sampled spoken words break up the tracks
exactly, it breaks up the tracks so that instead of an album of music you get an album that is offput by samples in the middle of your music. They don't always have this problem, Yankui was a step in the right direction but musically that album just isn't as good overall

Concept albums for the sake of concept is stupid.

no

>xylouriswhiteshop.bandcamp.com/album/the-sisypheans
>Not pretentious bullshit

Godspeed is great cause they write some really good soulful instrumental music in a style which has never been done before... even if it's between the passages you hate so much.

>Not pretentious bullshit
it literally isn't, wtf are you on about.

Imagine being this insecure about your taste

Shit taste

this OP pic has that 2011 mu energy

how am i being insecure about my taste you absolute faggot. I wasn't asking for anyone to validate me, I was just using what I was listening to right at that moment as an example to prove someone wrong

GYBE is one of the more cringey bands, but i really did like them a lot when i was 17. got the whole studio discography (at the time) and went to every show they played here but i cant stomach them anymore 10 years later

Xylouris White have toured with Godspeed, I don't see how you can complain about long and meandering songs if you like lute-and-drum jam sessions?

First off stop saying literally all the time. It makes you sound retarded.

Xylouris White's fourth installment of progressive Cretan lute compositions present the sounds of the lute, George Xylouris' vocals and Jim White's drums in an open, spacious sound-field. With the philosophical bent that suits their music's ancient headwaters, Jim and George are meditating on the life of a traveling musician, Sisyphyan in its repetition, but inspired in an eternal recurrence of themes and techniques that allow them to climb ever-further into their experience as players.
>progressive Cretan lute compositions
This is the epitome of pretentious hipster bullshit. Is godspeed just too mainstream for ya bro? Ur a faggot.

>mfw I was 'too cool for Godspeed' at 20-23 and now they're my favorite band again

Because they aren't long and meandering songs but are rather lute-and-drum jam sessions?

>>progressive Cretan lute compositions
But that's exactly what they are, if you took more than one minute to research the band you'd understand that George Xylouris is a traditional Cretan lute player and Xylouris White is one of his forays into using the lute in a more progressive sense (than he has already achieved before, originally he was just the first person to use the lute as a center instead of backing instrument but now he is taking it further in that he's creating music that is beyond traditional Cretan folk music with it).

The bandcamp summary does sound a little pretentious I'll give you that, but it doesn't translate into the music unlike with Godspeed

Projecting

you were projecting with your original post accusing me of being insecure

You do sound insecure as hell, maybe try giving mu core a try again

you can accuse me of being insecure all you want but at the end of the day I'm the only one bringing any actual talking points to the conversation. The first reply to me was calling me 18 and telling me to come back when I wasn't a kid, and none of the replies following that have gotten much better. Including the ones accusing me of being insecure just so that the person posting it can feel better about themselves
>maybe try giving mu core a try again
lmao, mucore is retarded. I never gave it a try and don't think I'm going to any time soon. There are much better ways to discover new music than that

It would be a million times better without the chant singing which I don't understand.

The point is you can't sit there and call godspeed pretentious and say progressive Cretan lute compositions by George Xylouris isn't.

Xylouris White's music is just straight forward music unlike Godspeeds. If you don't enjoy the chanting and you don't enjoy the music, so what? You don't have to like it, but I find it enjoyable.
Aside from that, I never called Godspeed's music pretentious, I called the band pretentious. I just said I didn't enjoy the music and gave me reasons why, and I'm not going to repeat all that when you can just scroll up and read

In case you take this the wrong way, when I was calling the band pretentious I was referring to the way they act as a band. I specifically said to look up some controversies about them if you didn't understand what I meant.
The only reason that was connected to the music was because I essentially said that only a pretentious band like Godspeed would think to make music with all the shitty drone and shitty samples and think that it's good music.
I'm not arguing whether the music is "pretentious" or not, because wtf does that even mean? I'm just giving reasons I don't enjoy the music and saying the band acts pretentious as a band

>If you don't enjoy the chanting and you don't enjoy the music, so what? You don't have to like it, but I find it enjoyable.
I would say the same thing about godspeed and their passages. See what I mean about the hypocrisy?

>I was referring to the way they act as a band
Why do you care how they act as a band?

Also could you link some of these controversies you keep referring to? Genuinely curious.

>See what I mean about the hypocrisy?
you were never making any points about hypocrisy, and while I do understand what you're trying to say currently it doesn't mean anything because taste is subjective. The real issue here is that no one said "you don't enjoy the music, so what?" like I did. Instead they all accused me of being 18 years old, insecure, having bad taste, etc. So there really isn't any hypocrisy there
>Why do you care how they act as a band?
I don't, as I said that was just possibly one of the reasons their music sucks is because of the way they act as a band. Like maybe they are just the type of people that are into a certain type of music and it's not the type I enjoy (which it isn't).
theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/25/godspeed-you-black-emperor-polaris-music-prize
You can think what you want about their opinions, they might be right, they might be wrong. But the way they come off in their statements is pretentious as shit.

I just scrolled through the article I linked and it doesn't do a very good job of showing them in a neutral light so you can judge for yourself. This one should better serve
pitchfork.com/news/52403-godspeed-you-black-emperor-respond-to-polaris-prize-win-fucking-insane/

Retard

>you were never making any points about hypocrisy
Learn to read between the lines
>because taste is subjective
My point exactly

>my point exactly
meaning what exactly?