What happened to black music? Back in the day Black musicians were literal geniuses...

What happened to black music? Back in the day Black musicians were literal geniuses, they shaped and affected genres in ways that you would never believe these people are facing discrimination and are treated like second class citizens.

Now when racism is almost dead and being black usually helps an artist take off black music seems to take a massive turn for the worse, at least popular black music.

John Coltrane, Michael Jackson, Ray Charles, Marvin Gaye, Jimi Hendrix, Nina Simone, Charlie Parker. Whether you like them or not these people made art, especially compared to current black music.

Why is now when Black privilege is becoming a thing in music (especially rap), when black musicians are chased by labels and are in high demand, when black musicians cry about discrimination and racism more than ever, is black music in such a rock bottom?

Attached is the song "Hot Girl Summer" by Meghan Thee Stallion and Nicki Minaj, had to link the music video too because I think it really explains my point by itself.

youtube.com/watch?v=0qWfPypEVsU

Attached: John Coltrane.jpg (790x395, 133K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FbcLcSY2au4
youtube.com/watch?v=zOz_Q-7BR58
twitter.com/AnonBabble

NOTE: Apparently I linked a fan made music video here. I still think my point stands but here is the actual music video which to my surprise isn't much better, possibly even worse.

youtube.com/watch?v=FbcLcSY2au4

I don’t know.
Kanye and Kendrick seem to be doing well.

thread predictions:
>nuuuu rap is definitely as good as jazz haven't you listened to TPAB
>>(c)rap [with attached frog]
>NIGGERS
>(((Who))) owns the studio? Follow the money goy

Attached: 1564893625288.jpg (250x245, 7K)

AYO SOMEONE PLAY A BEAT MY NIGGA

*808s kick in*

UH YEAH YEAH
I GOT A 123 CHECK IT

FRESH WITH A CUT
BITCH I NEED TO NUT
NIGGA GOT A CLIP
DAT EXTENDO CLIP

Historically speaking, the music that white people have kept on life support for the longest period of time is Jazz. Thanks largely to public radio, bookstores, and coffee shops, Jazz has carved out a niche in white culture that is not yet ready to be replaced by Indie Rock. But the biggest role that Jazz plays in white culture is in the white fantasy of leisure. All white people believe that they prefer listening to jazz over watching television. This is not true.

Every few a months, a white person will put on some Jazz and pour themselves a glass of wine or scotch and tell themselves how nice it is. Then they will get bored and watch television or write emails to other white people about how nice it was to listen to Jazz at home. “Last night, I poured myself a glass of Shiraz and put Charlie Parker on the Bose. It was so relaxing, I wish I had a fireplace.” Listing this activity as one of your favorites is a sure fire way to make progress towards a romantic relationship with a white person

that's a lot of obsession with and projection about white people that doesn't actually answer OP's question in the slightest

Nothing happened to it. You’re comparing apples and oranges. The old jazz musicians you’re thinking of didn’t make dance music.

I doubt most people even give it that much thought.

>Michael Jackson
lol

Yes, blacks used to make art music, now they've reduced that rich cultural heritage to "booty booty bitch hoe nigga nigga uh".

>this level of projection
its time to grow up

Attached: 1473276861233s.jpg (249x250, 5K)

The Wattstax documentary shows someone whom I cannot recall saying something like there is no difference between soul, R&B and jazz. The financially motivated drive to homogenize musical styles is a lot older than some think.
Also, when you have p4k and Vice tofumen calling Young Thug's bowel movements an "evolution of the English language", nobody has an impetus to make anything of actual value or relevance.

Attached: b5c54f9fb22ed8a86f71340f19ec38da.png (988x819, 609K)

>when black musicians cry about discrimination and racism more than ever
That is because that is all they have.
All of their focused-on history is confined within famous figures, it's not like white people who can go "ah yes I love Ancient Rome! The Enlightenment was a great period too! Even though it was horrible, the American Civil War is simply fascinating!" All Blacks can do is name people, like if a white person could only talk about Caesar, Lincoln, and Napoleon. The moment they pull back to look at the bigger picture, it's revealed that pretty much everything that happened was because whites in power did it for them.
Whites mostly fought to end slavery in America.
Whites wrote the legislation for equal rights bills.
Whites made the cities they live in.
Whites brought them here in the first place.
In short, BLACK CULTURE IS THE CULTURE OF WHATEVER WHITE PEOPLE AT THE TIME DID FOR THEM.

They could solve this by moving FORWARD with their history instead of looking backwards all the time and seething, but they would rather have whites pat black kids on the back for putting a PC together than do something like that...

Ultimately, you’re only focusing on black music. All music is like this though. It’s due to a worst of both worlds when it comes to electronic music. Music made by real people using instruments sounds great. Electronic music designed to actually sound like it was electronically generated sounds great as well. But right now, we’re just using electronics to supplement performances. Rap is mostly just a drum machine and a synth bass. Rock is all generic buttrock. It’s all shit. Nobody’s making anything interesting except in the underground

Actually white yuppie liberals are the ones enforcing the notion that having societal standards is playing into white people's idea of what society should be and that to counter this injustice black people need to be as vile as possible because according to white yuppie liberals that is the essence of their culture.

Attached: iJKAr.jpg (800x622, 192K)

This thread is cringe since you know it was made by a non black

this is a stupid boomer take. what happened is the focus in music shifted to rhythm and timbre with melody and improvisation suffering for it. Basically, everything is amped up club music now.

I'm sure Peanut Arbuckle and the Jambalaya Jazzy Boys were really important in the development of western music, but they aren't going to make this blasian bitch with thigh tattoos twerk on my dick.

If you want to know what to do about it: it's all about the bass, music from before 2012 is missing a huge and powerful range of sound (sub bass) which makes it sound outdated. imagine how sick Slayer would sound with a loose rumbly sub bass line. or Gang of Four with 808 kicks punctuating the guitar rhythm. it would be something totally new. punk rock would regain its edge. its something people are really slow to pick up on, maybe because they don't have proper systems so it's not even on their radar.

but in summary the reason rap and dance music are taking over is because they *sound* modern, they harness the most viscerally appealing frequencies effectively

But they are still

youtube.com/watch?v=zOz_Q-7BR58

Attached: LUKINO.jpg (1280x720, 176K)

It's so reliant on a cheap trick and the theatrics surrounding it that it's all doomed to age like shit. Things that rely so heavily on technological novelties sound fucking hokey and expressively stunted as soon as you have that moment of clarity that that's what you're getting charmed by.

>blasian bitch with thigh tattoos twerk on my dick
If you have drugs, you can make her dance on you to any old thing. That's a fucking fact.

they had to make good music to make up for the fact that they were a minority. now there is a way lower margin for entry and so we see just as many mediocre black musicians as there are white ones

that's true, a lot of it relies on novelty. I get bored of these rap songs within a month. I think a big reason other types of music can't compete though is because they sound thin and outdated in comparison.

The bass revolution happened in the 90s with dub music influencing UK artists into making genres like jungle and trip-hop, eventually reaching the US through big beat going mainstream. Even before that happened the US had genres like ghetto house and miami bass having a decent following in the underground. Point is these trap beats aren't anything special, they might have a more polished DAW sound to them but on everything else they're following the trails of 90s electronic music.

A great deal of even major label records have zero stereo separation in the instrumental tracks and almost no content in the lower midrange. It sounds thin and that's why you get bored of it. I seriously doubt you're actually listening to anything.

Based black user

Attached: 1562194838851.jpg (600x600, 47K)