/prod/ - music production general

Unfairchild Edition

New to production? Check it: pastebin.com/p2QUqMzj

Post what you're looking for in feedback. GIVE feedback to get feedback.

Post WIP's on Clyp.it

DON'T link to Soundclouds or youtube channels

LAST THREAD:

Attached: 2017-12-12_undertone.jpg (1200x668, 166K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MjuKtzZnJG4
youtube.com/watch?v=8qzRzTjYl_g
youtube.com/watch?v=8lGECQLGntQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Hf1QNEztkdU
youtube.com/watch?v=SL1RW1nOPOE
musicradar.com/news/native-instruments-confirms-staff-layoffs-a-restructure-and-a-unified-platform
clyp.it/w1hdljlr
clyp.it/q425tepj
clyp.it/hzj1i5ba
clyp.it/u0gsfcka
clyp.it/f3cjlycn
clyp.it/40eb5kqe
youtube.com/watch?v=2NWbSuCrF8o
clyp.it/vu4gllq1
vocaroo.com/i/s0MBprlsPosL
clyp.it/wyerghbq
vocaroo.com/i/s1W4iGJAC9PH
kvraudio.com/product/xtrack-eq32-by-soundoutthebox
youtube.com/watch?v=RgY4GnLGsLQ
clyp.it/ebhrzypn
clyp.it/5ewyrt2b
clyp.it/iyhanr1m
soundcloud.com/luehi/systemf
clyp.it/tsys1atn
clyp.it/q4ovfx2m
clyp.it/m3vb3ulc
soundcloud.com/gnsis777/torn
eventideaudio.com/products/third-party-plug-ins/equalizer/equivocate
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5506895
scientificamerican.com/article/wheres-the-proof-that-mindfulness-meditation-works1/
clyp.it/spdhhrxe
clyp.it/5pudntim
clyp.it/xby1hpx1
youtu.be/Mtgi-w0A4tU?t=201
clyp.it/rvo5hvd2
youtube.com/watch?v=SQmQD27uCt0
youtube.com/watch?v=zgxSYEFcePY
youtube.com/watch?v=zt0Me5qyK4g
youtube.com/watch?v=wKyMIrBClYw
youtube.com/watch?v=Vl1kO9hObpA
clyp.it/a3vh5dkf
clyp.it/tli1bl3z
clyp.it/eqwzkmyp
clyp.it/fwozhcah
youtube.com/watch?v=yWpJmPDw90k&t=873s
youtube.com/watch?v=K3nyL3wL3IU
clyp.it/lwwx5r3r
youtu.be/7B7skHB0IXo
clyp.it/tyntzpvo
youtu.be/dXl2exeH8tI
youtube.com/watch?v=OfEUrEUS9Qk
www97.zippyshare.com/v/ufuL8qgk/file.html
blog.landr.com/best-free-vst-plugins/
clyp.it/24aixjym
vocaroo.com/i/s0qmRFk6cVvl
clyp.it/mkyv5zfg?token=d5480d60c031c1c9bf43506b1ced181e
vocaroo.com/i/basedsU887prHP
rainews.it/dl/rainews/media/Sequestrato-arsenale-da-guerra-Pavia-missile-aria-aria-da-800kg-riarmabile-era-in-vendita-cfd2137c-9e4b-4c17-a4e4-643cea16f85d.html#foto-1
youtube.com/watch?v=MOj8h5Ptfu8
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Chest voice can be trained to go higher

How does Mr. Oizo Get his vocals to loud and in your face?
youtube.com/watch?v=MjuKtzZnJG4
youtube.com/watch?v=8qzRzTjYl_g
youtube.com/watch?v=8lGECQLGntQ

Also this song by Apashe:
youtube.com/watch?v=Hf1QNEztkdU

Attached: portraits-of-faces-blasted-with-wind-tadao-cern-10.jpg (600x900, 86K)

oizo stuff just looks heavily compressed, prob some saturation and maybe some layered formant shifting going on. eq'd to sound quite unpleasant.

if you can get a hold of the original sample, it shouldn't be too hard to work back to what he did.

Attached: Ableton_Live_10_Suite_2019-09-04_14-33-57.jpg (900x540, 204K)

The sample from A Rekurd comes fromt his:
youtube.com/watch?v=SL1RW1nOPOE (40 seconds in).

im gonna make some good music today and you assholes cant stop me

that's doubtful but good luck anyway

Do it then Sambo, your lows sound like shit.

there you go trying to stop me already

Is there a particular name for moving the same chord quality around regardless of it fitting in a scale? Just modulation?
For example playing all minor chords just with the roots in a specific scale.

Is it me or does everything serum ever makes sound terrible? Like a weird digital mess. Just can’t get used to the sound of it :/

if you were using a few chords out of another scale without modulating (usually minor/major) it would be mode mixture

your example however would be more like parallel harmony iirc

musicradar.com/news/native-instruments-confirms-staff-layoffs-a-restructure-and-a-unified-platform

i'm not a studio one user, but i am interested in attempting a switch over. can someone test to see if this fixes their volume automation shit.

>Version 4.5.3 Release Notes (September 3, 2019):
>Volume automation curve now compensates logarithmic fader curve

>NI says that these changes are being made despite growing revenues so that it can focus on the development of “a new, unified and fully integrated platform on which the company’s entire portfolio of products and services will be available next year.”

Hopefully this new "unified and integrated platform" isn't a fucking subscription service or a DAW where all the NI stuff is stock and isn't available anywhere else.

motherfucking if they add a whole bunch of bloatware to just let me use kontakt I'm going to lose it
those idiots can't even get massive x stable after months of post release patches, not to mention how everything the NI library authorization touches breaks after every windows update

first slate, then PA, then NI goddamn the subscription all in one model is cancer
at least R2R will always be there for us

pic-related is what i'm expecting it to fix.
actually, i'm expecting it to completely change the curve.

while it sounds like a welcome fix, it doesn't fill me with confidence re: the devs. this is going to break volume automations on old projects from the sound of it.

it'll probably be a subscription service.

Attached: automation issue.png (790x503, 52K)

>it'll probably be a subscription service.
That's a complete non-issue as long as you can still pirate them.

clyp.it/w1hdljlr

Does this sound lame? What can I do to improve the mix?

Are the drums quantized?
I'm not sure why but the timing sounds somewhat wrong.

>clyp.it/w1hdljlr
when the bass goes dun DUN dun DUN daaaa, it should go dun DUN dun DUN daaaa, daaa (with the second daa being the same note as the third dun)

That will make it sound tranquil and peaceful rather than vaguely uneasy.

Yeah they are. The timing sounding off is probably because of the delay and reverb on the main synth. I can hear it too sometimes but I thought it sounded cool so I kept it

Lads

clyp.it/q425tepj

Attached: bluefacee-with-child.jpg (720x405, 71K)

Cool, I'm gonna try that out and see how it sounds. Thanks

xD

No bass

>your example however would be more like parallel harmony iirc
or planing

Anyone have any recommendations for a sequencer/drum machine for performing live? Must have Midi and not massive like the 2000XL I'm currently lugging around. Preferably something that's newer so I don't have to rely on sketchy floppy disks.

Thinking about the MPC Live. It seems pricy but I could be persueded if I could be convinced to use it for production as well.

clyp.it/hzj1i5ba

At this point I just need to give up
I can't take this anymore

Attached: EA1N-GtWkAEHg-N.jpg (422x354, 14K)

Have you been reading the dance music manual?
Have you been practicing your keyboard?
Have you been recreating songs in your DAW?
Huh?
HUH?

i have no clue what am i doing wrong because no one left feedback
clyp.it/u0gsfcka

Attached: Chorrol_Shield.png (572x578, 458K)

clyp.it/f3cjlycn

Made this today. I called it finished and uploaded it to Soundcloud, however I then went to the SC thread and listened to a bunch of the plebs' music, and after that listened to the track again. I decided parts of it were too quiet, and when I made them louder they sounded abrasively high pitched so I had to add a loud bass part throughout the middle section to counterbalance that. Here is the result:

clyp.it/40eb5kqe

Listening to the first draft now I wish I had actually saved a copy it as an .als file as in some ways I actually like it a lot better than the updated version. I can always press ctrl + z as far as the history will let me though.

fuck you i'm expanding both ends

still literally impossible no matter how much you cry about it

this is nice. delete that gross synth line, add some vocals to it and you're done.

not that user but
>want to practice the piano
>dont want to teach myself bad habits
the eternal struggle

If you don't learn it now, will you learn it in the future with an actual teacher?
If not (or if that point is too far in the future), then you might as well just learn it now however you end up learning it and by the time you get to fix your habits with your teacher you'll be much better than you would if you just wait until you got them to start.

Hope it makes sense, I'm a lil sick and my brain is BSODing.

>try to create music
>end up, in the process of creating it, listening to it and nothing else for hours and hours on end
>get infernally sick of it

Does /prod also work as voice general? If so, anyone feel like being a chad and link me some articles, books, 4ch posts, info graphics that are based as fuck and will actually help me learn about voice and how to improve it; in short, anything voice related that's good.

I will get a vocal teacher later on in life but for now I want to learn about it myself and get the ropes of voice before I go to one so I can determine if i'm being scammed or not.

I haven't ever really tried singing fully, but I drove over to a parking lot at 2am and started singing as high and low as I can and my range is pretty shit I assume, it's from G2-B4 which I assume makes me a tenor. My vocal tone is okay at best, but I feel like you need to train voice fully in order to tell if you have a nice vocal tone and your shit sounds good. I don't really care about high notes too much but it would still be cool to hit them maybe.

I'd want to sound like Dean, Frank Ocean or Daniel Caesar ideally though.

vocaloid is the shittiest software to work with jesus christ
>hard to get it to sound halfway decent
>retarded automation controls
>complicated effects (breathe, gender xy, cross synthesis xys???)
and for some reason every time i export its slightly out of sync when i put it in my daw
tempo, time all that shit is the same as in the daw but it keeps fucking up reeee YAMHAAA!

/prod/ is as close as Yea Forums gets to a vocal general usually...
I’ll eventually compile more of a guide since this comes up somewhat often and I ended up navigating the wasteland of vocal guides out there (it’s fucking bad). In the meantime I’m assuming you already saw the bottom of the pastebin

Brett Manning (?) iirc has a popular speech level singing... cd? Audio guide or whatever, of some excercises

You might enjoy this
youtube.com/watch?v=2NWbSuCrF8o

Alright lads just downloaded Ableton

Is there a recommended learning path or should I just start watching random youtube tutorials?

That's pretty sad that /mu doesn't try to get their vocals up. I really wonder why.

When do you think you will compile the guide? Time doesn't allow me to be on Yea Forums daily so sometimes it's hard to keep up with some generals but I guess I can always look through archives even tho I hate that but it's no problem, I can't force you to do it quicker.

How do you know what's bad and good information though? See if I wouldn't keep bothering people if I just knew for myself what's good and bad, in almost any topic. I actually like being selfish and learning on my own but my dumb retarded brain shuts off, I lack critical thinking and analyzing so it's very hard for me to form an opinion on what's good information out in the world unless blatantly obvious shitposting or general trolling.

I did read pastebin of course and I'll check out Brett Manning, thanks user.

Yup, I've seen this. It's fun to watch even though I hate the guy.

pointers:
practice for short bursts, 30 min max starting out. vocal recovery is pretty much the slowest thing imaginable

start in the most comfortable part of your register. don't go too low and vocal fry, and don't strain to go high. range will come with time and technique. long tones, breathing. don't force anything.

use something like ken tamplin's vocal exercises if you don't have a piano, there are many out there, you just need to work on vowel consistency and pitch at the start

remember that modern music is almost always style and production value over actual singing technique. producing is magic and vocals are so FX heavy nowadays that they're almost synths

sirens are your friend for bridging the gap between your chest and mixed/falsetto voice

don't push from the throat, push from the stomach

stop smoking, do some running

record your sessions so you can actually hear what you sound like (this is painful)

remember it's slow as fuck going but consistency is always rewarded. after several years I'm to the point where I can write and record my own vocal samples for songs and it's great not having to dig through the cesspool of splice for that stuff

be honest bros... is there any hope? I've been at it for almost 6 years and I feel like I'm not getting much better at this point.
clyp.it/vu4gllq1
shit.

Do you use multiband compressors and which one would you recommend? This is how I set attack and release of each band, here the higher the band is set the slower is the attack and the opposite thing for release. Gain and Range works in a similar way, this compressor is set not on the master bus but on the track bus. It gives harmonically complex sounds a nice shaping.

Attached: Attack and Release.jpg (748x476, 120K)

Thank you very much user, I will keep all of this in mind.

Any plugins similar to this (graphic equalizer)?

I'm looking for one which would allow to mute out a band completely - I was using the 20 band graphical in Sony Acid Pro previously but since I've switched to Reaper I couldn't use it anymore and I'm too lazy to export a track and mix it in Acid separately.

Any suggestions?

Attached: Untitled 2.jpg (901x351, 127K)

just... make a 1/3 octave peak in a graphic eq like Pro Q and notch it to -120db?? wat

Pro Q is parametric not graphic

haha busted

>shit
why?

In Acid one can take a slider down to a level where one wouldn't hear the chosen frequency anymore, in a lot of graphic equalizers it's not possible and one would still be able to hear a frequency after taking a slider way down to the bottom.

ask "how"

ableton default one for basic stuff
fabfilter pro-mb / dmg audio multiplicity for everything else.

desu these days i'll often just reach for a dynamic eq instead half the time.

how do i know why this fag thinks it's shit?

Why are you so vulgar?

because i have to display power

I just checked pro q2 - it has a notch eq band you can set to 96db/oct for max cutoffs while completely removing that freq from the spectrum

>things you tell yourself to not feel so bad about your failure and cowardice
haha im already doing it loser, my G2 is better and im reaching lower notes

hope this is a troll user ahahaha

How do you have made the conclusion that you would display power through being vulgar? How are these two things connected to each other according to your opinion?

An option which would contain a notch band is not possible in this scenario, since the notch mutes out the band completely at once without one would have the possibility to raise and lower the amount of amplitude per band freely. A notch band contains only a Q-knob.

Why should I want to be aware of my actions and opinions being biased without doing anything about it? Are you genuinely retarded?

i like this, it sounds flat as shit tho cuz no bass
add some subs
need to imagine a track like a tree
the bass is the roots, you dont see the roots but it all depends heavily on it
add some subtle subbass and the whole track will fill out

this like some autechre shit, quite wavy in parts
how did you create all the distorted crunchy percussion sounds?

well I got nothing then user godspeed you crazy bastard

>clyp.it/vu4gllq1
pretty kino until it starts blurting "RESPECT" over and over again

horrendous panning in the intro man
and are you just throwing together loops or did you play the guitar rifs ?

>clyp.it/u0gsfcka
cool sounds but guitar music is super boring also this is very monotonous and repetitive

your reply makes no sense man
ur tune is shite, it shows absolute lack of creativity in every single aspect
and you say you have been making music for 6 years - you must be trolling

You can't generally mute a band with a graphic equalizer. What you're looking for is a notch filter.

I haven't posted any tune, I just asked you why I should want to be aware of my actions and opinions being biased without doing anything about it. Why are you so vulgar?

Of course I can, you can do that in Acid and couple of other graphic equalizer VST's, that's why I'm asking. I'm looking for that specifing thing I'm asking for and not for anything else.

>When do you think you will compile the guide?
Could be weeks, could get done in a few hours on a random night where i'm not doing anything. When I say "guide" i mean a small collection of resources to add to the pastebin really- i'm not an expert at all, just somebody who went from completely hopeless to passable with practice and a lot of reading. It's just going to be general stuff that I know isn't bullshit and will be widely applicable for everybody- sorry if i got your hopes up.

what makes singing a difficult topic to tackle is that there's inherently a lot of vagueness when trying to describe a technique and a lot of confusion about the technical aspects of how the voice functions, which is why a teacher who can give immediate feedback and *knows* their shit is more valuable to singers than other musicians.

I can only offer a few pieces of advice for distinguishing good from bad resources:

If it hurts you or *feels* wrong, don't do it.
If they're *extremely* vague and you have no idea what the fuck they're talking about, they can't offer any technical explanation, and you try it and can't feel any difference from what's going on in your voice, they might be full of shit and wasting your time.

solid advice please stop making me click things

Do you often feel something being wrong bodily, except for rare specific cases one would instantly think of? Because that really doesn't exist and doesn't stand in a causal context with the decision one makes about something being right or wrong, this solely is a result of a logical conclusion and nothing else.

reading your posts casts a shadow on my day and i can't describe why
... please stop

u what?
vocaroo.com/i/s0MBprlsPosL

Thanks a lot, very nice.

I actually have found something - TDAe EQ2032 .

It goes +/- 20 dB for each band, that should be enough to silence a slider almost completely (I remember the graphic equalizer in Acid going from +20 to -20 as well but I'm not completely sure about that.)

forgot pic

Attached: tda_eq2032.png (968x96, 13K)

clyp.it/wyerghbq
Is the main idea any interesting? Kinda barebones and underdeveloped, but worth working on?
Also mix as well, bass is a bit overpowering, but everything else?

\>vocaroo.com/i/s0MBprlsPosL
not really feeling the lyrics but i really like the vocal melody and the guitar melody

vocaroo.com/i/s1W4iGJAC9PH

clyp.it was being autistic so i had to host on vocaroo.
its something that i whipped up in like 2 hours but i think it shows, really need to work on mixing and a proper ending to the track.

kvraudio.com/product/xtrack-eq32-by-soundoutthebox

this one goes down to -12 dB, I guess that's not enough.

I'm hearing some metallic and noisy fm stab or melody there

its about the singing
youtube.com/watch?v=RgY4GnLGsLQ

Should I pirate reason?

I've never pirated anything before

as in bad? or just an observation?
I think it's of the synths with a bit overly enthusiastic comb filter on it.

pirate better software

No, in my head in order to develop it more. That's what my idea would be now.

DO NOT MOT 9-30-19

Such as? I'm running Windows currently

were you looking to use reason as a DAW or as a rewire instrument for your current DAW?

Possibly both, but I don't have a DAW right now. Reason is one of the only softwares I've used in the past in school. I also used Protools, Logic, and Metasynth too a much lesser extent. When I can afford it I hope to get an external drive and run MacOS and use Logic and Metasynth, but that might not be happening anytime soon

I'm really not doing anything exceptional, is something wrong with you?

Well actually that's totally fine for me. You didn't get my hopes up or anything because that's more than enough for me. Any info provided to me, is a blessing.

Singing really is a difficult topic because its hard to really describe how to do it. You don't know if the person you're teaching to is experiencing the same feeling that you do when you describe it.

I see, thank you very much.

well reason as a DAW is probably going to be dead in a few years so there's not much point investing time in it imo. its softsynths can be nice, but there are better alternatives out there to everything reason offers.

of the cross platform daws:

the last cracked version of protools is a few years old and there's no real guarantee of cracked updates anytime soon.

cubase hasn't been cracked for even longer.

ableton live is pretty decent to start out with. it's fairly straightforwards, but it does tend to do things a few things a little differently to most other DAWs so moving from it to another daw can be a bit more painful than say, moving from something like studio one to logic. good included instruments. mostly good included effects. bad mixing environment for larger projects.
workflows are primarily designed around loop based music. can function perfectly fine for other music, but other DAWs will offer better experiences for recording etc.

studio one's interesting - included instruments and effects are arguably worse than ableton live's but they're serviceable. better mixing environment. more feature rich when it comes to midi editing. up until recently, could be a bit of processor hog, but things improved around 4.x i think. former cubase devs. pretty standard workflow.

1/2

motu digital performer. small user base, ugly interface (imo. horrible scaling issues). feature rich. i don't have to much experience with it, but people who enjoy using it really enjoy using it.

reaper. probably the most feature rich and customisable, but that acts as a doube edged sword because you can spend days just customising things as you need. i don't know if i'd recommend it to beginners (but plenty of people do start with it, i didn't is all), but it is a power user's dream.

safe choices are ableton live (esp if you don't want to pirate more instruments) and studio one.
you can always look into reaper a year or so down the line and see if you want to switch.

i have no experience with FL so ican't speak to it.

Bro I wasn't gonna be a dick to you again today but I actually like that song and you should never sing it again.

lol u jealous

Oh you know.. A bit of this, a bit of that

Attached: linux.png (1056x595, 1.44M)

clyp.it/ebhrzypn
is this too muffled and is the end shit

yeah idk serum is kinda shit

I never bother with it, I just use Massive. The one reason I ever want Serum is you can do slidy noises with multiple notes at a time, unlike Massive.

No and no, I like the strings at the end but you need to transition to them a little smoother I think.

What are some good free soft synths? I'm thinking in particular of adding some high pitched melodic stuff and maybe some sweeping pads to this thing im working on

really like the noisy bit at 0:20, you should include more effects like that, it breaks up the muted tone of the piece

Anyone got a rec for a field recorder? Budget is $300

wats a cool vst I can download to make cool daft punk robot voices

im gonna become a rapper and you guys cant stop me

raps for niggers fren

Attached: apu apustaja superhero.png (308x326, 55K)

MAYBE I LIKE NIGGERS

>MAYBE I LIKE NIGGERS
h-heretic.... begone

Attached: furious apustaja.jpg (255x197, 11K)

I got a super beginner question:

What are people's thought processes when selecting keys? Scales I understand somewhat since they give out certain emotions

I want to be a blend of MGMT (their poppy hits) and The Naked and Famous but I dont know how to play an instrument. How can I make an electronic hit song within a year from now with only Logic Pro X and a cheap midi keyboard?

Attached: andrew-vanwyngarden-cute-cute-boy-cute-hair-mgmt-Favim.com-316974.jpg (500x557, 70K)

The only thing the key will effect the highest and lowest pitches of your track. Unless you are writing music for a specific instrument or vocalist where the key is important, there's no reason to care about the key when you first start writing, it can be changed later.

clyp.it/5ewyrt2b

Tried a text to speech synthesizer. It's not as clear as normal voices but it can create some pretty kino chords.

Those are synonyms.

does anyone here know anything about meditation and its effects on music? I wanna try to get into it but I'm afraid that it'll stunt my creativity, since it's mainly about decreasing mind-wandering and daydreaming, which are the primary drives to my creativity

Should I get Yamaha HS8's or JBL 308P's?

I know the Yamahas are great for imaging, but how are they when not producing? How do the HS8s fare with recreational listening and other activities?

Are HS8's enjoyable to listen to? I would like great monitors which I would use to listen to music casually as well.

I am making a video game and I want the music themes that I will make for it to be good but lightweight at the same time, because I don't want my video game to take too much space on the user's hard drive.

What would you recommend to do? What aspects of mixing and composition should I take into account when trying to have a result as lightweight as possible.

Note that I'm not making old school chiptunes, but more folk inspired sound, even if electronically produced.

No, no, no. Was not a fan of the Dance Music Manual when I read through some of it awhile back, might try looking at it again though. And I haven't been using my keyboard because I want to wait till I get a more capable computer. I've recreated a few songs structurally but I have no idea how I'm supposed to actually remake songs.

The cat synth or the way that comes in at 21 seconds? Yeah actually I can see how that can be pretty gross. Don't know any girls to sing over it.

>shit.
Thanks.

clyp.it/iyhanr1m

Plz upvote

>since it's mainly about decreasing mind-wandering and daydreaming
>citation needed

i've only dabbled in mediation and mindulness
it helped my anxiety/depression and consequently helped me make music

fearing a loss of your daydreaming is similiar to depressed people romanticizing/thinking it's a part of the "real" them/thinkingitmakesthemspecial etc: you have no basis to think it'll make you worse off and you're just resisting change.

however, there's no guarantee it'll do shit for you either, and there's no scientific basis saying it'll benefit you; it's all anecdotal and self report shit. i would recommend you try it personally but don't if your reaction to what i just wrote is negative of course: you're going to get what you want out of it, potentially negative.

>I know the Yamahas are great for imaging
you what? i wouldn't say more so than any others..
>use to listen to music casually as well.
monitors aren't unpleasant to listen on, this is a non issue

only thing i can say is that the yam hs series is "mid-foward" which.... is kind of a good thing?
a huge issue that people have, especially when new, is creating separation between each element- this is primarily an issue in the mids and the hs8s will make you more anal about it.
downside is that they fatigue your ears more quickly, and some people just hate the sound... you're fine either way.

... dude r u srs
did you JUST start making the game? shouldn't you be tech savvy? 2 minutes of music is 2 minutes of music lol. embed flacs over wavs or whatever the superior equivalent is of an mp3 is, the game is going to take up space according to your programming lol

>clyp.it/iyhanr1m
very pretty

It's simple, just invoice $50 to [email protected] via paypal and I will be glad to teach you

Attached: chains.jpg (193x261, 7K)

I don't know what you're looking for specifically, but you might want to use a vocoder. If you're up for a challenge you can manually mess with samples on audacity's vocoder. Certain harmonizers might work too if you're creative.

Trigger MIDI soundfonts

>tfw got worse somehow
>forgot all the stuff i knew naturally

the fuck

Attached: 1543442811697.gif (320x214, 952K)

>did you JUST start making the game?
I was brainstorming.

>shouldn't you be tech savvy?
Well, I'm able to make C++ programs and it's been for 5 years now. I believe that I got the experience to develop, a bit to make the music, and a bit to make the graphics. I wouldn't call myself tech savvy though because there are areas where I lack, especially considering that I have been procrastinating a lot in the past in those past 2 years, which also made me loose some of my skills.

>2 minutes of music is 2 minutes of music lol. embed flacs over wavs or whatever the superior equivalent is of an mp3 is, the game is going to take up space according to your programming lol
Yeah, I considered using flac, but what I wanted to know is if there are habits that I should adopt when mixing the music that would make it more lightweight. 2 minutes of a music mixed a certain way would take less space than 2 minutes of music mixed in another way, amirite?

Thanks user

That might be a good idea. Lua files are quite lightweight, so I could write my musical themes with whatever sound library I can use with Lua.

It might limit me or not, though songs have been entirely made with Lua in the past, such as this :
soundcloud.com/luehi/systemf

Thanks user

Do DJ mix albums earn royalties?

clyp.it/tsys1atn
hi, how are you?
i hope you're doing well
taking time out of your day to listen to this and give me feedback would make me feel a lot better, no matter if negative or positive

gays I need a piano plugin I tried some but none of them is good and sound shitty
please let me know what you use or recommend

Attached: 1543370337764.jpg (316x300, 12K)

kontakt + library of choice
pianoteq

thank uoy

clyp.it/q4ovfx2m
What do you guys think? Advice? Should i finish this?

clyp.it/m3vb3ulc i need some thoughts on the whole thing, fellas
that robot voice is quite in-your-face, doncha think?

Attached: 4782[1].gif (575x573, 11K)

soundcloud.com/gnsis777/torn

Why aren't you writing the things a little bit more out instead of abbreviating everything? It can make it hard to understand it for someone who would be interested in this topic. Are you trying to look smart?

>spend hour and a half working on custom patch and effects chain for serum
>live crashes
>load backup
>live initializes serum and wipes the patch
>also nukes the effects chain on my drums for some inexplicable reason
just fuck my life up pilled

Attached: deepfry.png.jpg (512x512, 9K)

Thanks

did it sound good tho

yes, I had it exactly how I wanted it to sound

if you don't understand the shorthand you're probably not that interested in what he was asking about... if every post had to clarify what eqs do and how they do it no questions would get answered, ever. you can always ask follow up questions.
that said it's also a bit of a bad habit as I hate when producer teachers do that. we all know how ratios and frequency bands work, just fucking tell me how you like to use them
thanks for reading my blog

24 dB is the right answer but I kind of can't find anything fitting that would be free. This is how the EQ in Acid looks like: picrel

It's so easy to use and there barely is an equivalent to be found. duh

Attached: Typical Graphic EG View.1.jpg (617x407, 137K)

Correction: It's going to... -Infinity? Okay, how do I find something comparable???

it has a band-stop filter with a cutoff frequency interval of 96 decibels per octave past the knee of the filter response curve which will effectively completely block a very narrow frequency of the signal

this could go way down to infinity but it looks like crap.

Attached: EQ31-Unlimited_3.jpg (1091x350, 170K)

The thing with ACID is - it's the most aspergian and utilitarian DAW out there, everythings is where it belongs and it's very easy to understand + it basically delivers anything one would need, even a multiband compressor, BUT: It's very prone to crashes, especially with a lot of plugins installed and it's 32 bit.
I couldn't use it as my regular DAW anymore and exporting a pre-maximized track and loading it into ACID and then back again into Reaper in order to finalize it could be too unconvenient because I barely take this approach seriously, it's just music... hmm. I guess it doesn't hurt to try it out.

hnnng

eventideaudio.com/products/third-party-plug-ins/equalizer/equivocate

Attached: EQuivocate_0.jpg (1440x919, 408K)

I got this for free some time back I don't know if I would pay for it though

So with Roland dropping the MC707, is the only viable modern competitor the MPC Live? I'm mainly looking at the sheer fact that it can sequence without quantization. Which, while I love my Electribe, the snap-to-grid quantize fucks tracks more than it helps.

Attached: MC707_image-1024x683.jpg (1024x683, 60K)

nice job

I have read that it was free for about a month two years ago, I'm just going to pirate it for now I guess. Together with another shitton of plugins I wouldn't really need because it's only available as a bundle.

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5506895

Based russkis

Some of these are neat and quite authentic of vintage effect processors, I remember having used black hole some time ago. Very processor hungry, I hope this doesn't go for the equalizer as well. Really too bad that I couldn't find a free solution.

forgot pic

Attached: 47a347ad82665169cf34579a447ba702.png (763x515, 671K)

when I tried the eq out it was kind of cpu hungry but they said it was a bug with open gl

it's still pretty cpu hungry, and it's not the best as a go to EQ due to its quirks.
that said it is pretty neat as it aims to emulate the human ear sensitivities, so eqing different regions can produce some pretty nifty sounds. the EQ matching is also maybe the best in the business

Has anyone had a good experience with the Berklee coursera classes? I know the melody one from CalArts is great for theory but there’s a lot of technical material from Berklee

Do you mean Berkley from GTA San Andreas? That one who Zero from San Fiero was concurring with.

>31 frequency-adjustable bands

Who actually has downloaded and used this properly? This is a thing which wouldn't even be featured in many professional setups and studios.

I mean it's not crazy, graphic EQs like that have been around a long time. Studio I work at has one of these

Attached: urei.png (1593x774, 1.33M)

graphic eqs are usually used more in a live setting as they're cheaper/lower quality than studio grade parametric eqs. lots of use for house instrument corrections, room notches, etc. and they're only a hundred bucks if you wreck one while travelling.
I truly don't know why you wouldn't just use a precision notch filter like engineer filter to do what this user is trying to do in a studio setting though I wish him the best of luck on his quest

he's probably not clear on what turning down a single slider is actually doing

>I'm looking for one which would allow to mute out a band completely

It's just a part of an equalizing technique which would require it to take every slider to -60 dB and afterwards make each band only as loud as one would find it sounding good, a parametric eq doesn't offer this precision to be applied with such an ease.

Anything else is bullshit imho

the frequency knobs are missing and these basically were the point of the post you have answered to.

I literally have taken this idea from meme pictures of big studios with tables full of sliders, but I suspect that these are sliders for tracks being faded in. LOL

oh, didn't notice the adjustable part. Just thought it was a regular graphic eq

.... are you justicefag?

they're mixers bro wtf

where can I pirate vsts? I want omnisphere for fl

Attached: snail-drink.webm (720x900, 1.74M)

rutracker

the process of torrenting/installing omnisphere is complicated so plan on trying for a long time to figure it out.

Guess I've mixed something up heh

this or audioz is what gets recommended the most

This is a very good idea. Recently I have worked with automating random parameters of a synth randomly but with very cheap free vsts only. Absynth should produce interesting sounds as well.
I have made several tracks by playing key sequences 5-10 minutes long, dubbing these with the same midi track but a different synth and different automation curves/parameters and putting these together - recording at 120 bpm and speeding it up to 140. Subsequently I'm putting a multiband compressor on each single midi track with attack lenght decreasing with height of the frequence of a band and the opposite for the release, it sounds so interesting together.
What could be improved is copying parts of single "songs" and putting these together in a instrumentally varied so it would be more complex, surprising and more than just improvisation.
Since Omnisphere is a very extensive plugin there would be a lot of parameters to automate and that would sound just veeery, very good.

>there's no scientific basis saying it'll benefit you
the field is still in its infancy but there are a few that have proven some benefits. The problem is that the few well done studies are overshadowed by the thousands of bogus studies that claim it's a magical cure for everything
scientificamerican.com/article/wheres-the-proof-that-mindfulness-meditation-works1/

also, my worries about daydreaming are legitimate:
>meditation can have surprisingly different effects,
depending on the type.
>It's all very complex, and researchers are far from sorting everything out yet. In the end, practices that encourage focusing can be a great
benefit for learning.
>But having some daily time where your mind relaxes and wanders freely is also very important, particularly if you want to encourage creativity.
>From a practical standpoint then if you are a meditator you might try to avoid feeling you should always be steering your thoughts back into focus if you catch your mind wandering outside meditation sessions
excerpt from Dr. Barbara Oakley and Dr. Terrence Joseph Sejnowski (neuroscientist)'s Mindshift coursera course

*in a instrumentally varied way

Put on your trip :^)

That's not who you're thinking of.

You don’t know my thoughts user >:(

I'm not a tripfag, what are you on about? did I do something wrong besides fucking up the greentext

I wish I wouldn't

lmao

What?

Attached: okay-emegenerator-net-okay-lil-jon-meme-meme-generator-48841593.png (500x608, 166K)

Here, take this kek and get the fuck out.

Are you genuinely trying to roleplay? why are you so embarassing?

lmao kill yourself you racist asshole

Idk, I was just born like this.

these were rhetorical questions you complete idiot hahahaha

why?

Attached: disgruntled pepe.jpg (1337x1289, 63K)

Why are you posting this here? This is a thread about music production and not about shitposting.

Also could you explain to me why I'm smarter than you.

Matthew please stop.

back again with a new track, decided to have fun with it and mess around. let me know how it sounds
clyp.it/spdhhrxe

Attached: ECj6-AuWsAAZat8.jpg (870x600, 109K)

Give me a rundown of your current live performance workflow and I’ll tell you what to try

It's about both. Personally I prefer a lot of fat in my threads, but I think we can all accept a 70/30 mix?

dude fuck you, the majority of these threads are shitposts now, people like you discourage non-faggot anons from posting while actively making /prod/ more inviting for people who only make the thread worse

clyp.it/5pudntim

Any feedback, my n-words?
Especially concerned about the solo/freakout

Pretty nice, I think you should change the way you sing "half" though.
What I'm hearing is too much like "ha-ulf", whereas in the States we usually just forget the L is there to some degree and say "haf", or in the South it'd be like "hay-if".
Other than that your pronunciation is great, sorry to be so nitpickey about one word but it's strong position makes it really stand out to me.
But I'm groovin dawg, I like the 70's vibe and I'm a sucker for organs.
I don't think you have anything to be concerned about in the freakout, I can pick out all the parts clearly and I like the way they work off each other.

Thank you!!
That’s exactly the kind of feedback that’s really useful!

How exactly does the "fat" knob on the serum filter work?
I'm looking for a technical explanation.... not that I really need it but i'm just curious and it's not in the manual

Is it a waste to write lyrics without an instrumental in mind? I can’t see myself really going back to those lyrics instead of just writing to the current music

Not at all, that’s my preferred method
Other people are the opposite though, try it out, experience will tell you what’s best for you

pre-filter gain boost (i think).

.... isn’t that drive?
Honestly I was expecting it to be a simple key tracked eq boost or something

clyp.it/xby1hpx1

drive saturates, fat does not.
youtu.be/Mtgi-w0A4tU?t=201

there's a cursory explanation here about both

Thank you
I am mad that they don’t put stuff like this in the manual though wtf

dimi no, I thought you were beyond this

Is there a sweet spot for the time between writing and recording? I've considered phone recording for ideas to preserve everything that isn't included in the written lyrics

bro that's alllll you, only you can find out how you work best

Download and installed RC-20 Retro Color
Ran the keygen
But I can't get it to work no matter what I keep getting "No GUIboot found"

Beyond what

Everyone has different ears but I find the HS8s fatigue my ears after a few hours. The 308s dont have the most defined midrange. Get a pair of 305s and a sub.

I've found a name for my style bros... "psychedelic techno" wat do you think

I make a beat every single day and they're all the same yet all uniquely horrible in their own special way

clyp.it/rvo5hvd2

>clyp.it/rvo5hvd2
no drop

most drops are false drops, and false drops piss me the fuck off

i gotta be honest guys i didnt make any music yesterday

I think that you're retarded and anybody in this world is smarter than you, not only me.

Stop trying to molest others with irrelevant information and just kill yourself lol

you first

I'm not important, it's your opinion that counts. We all listen.

Spent all yesterday sorting through presets and samples, it was a good one lads.

What would you estimate the value of your “favorites “ or similar folder in USD? Would you ever consider sharing it?

In all the years I've come to check up on these threads I've never heard a remotely listenable track posted.

One of these days I'm gonna make one, just wait.

>Would you ever consider sharing it?
I’ve decided when I inevitably kill myself I’ll share it all- sorted samples are nice but the real value is the presets and original samples.

...I wouldn’t put a price on something “unique” like that though, it’s like selling your sound and it just feels wrong

>it’s like selling your sound and it just feels wrong
unless you're selling it to Skrillex for a few millions

that's cause I never finish tracks I just abandon them and start new ones

The price was more like “how much would you pay to recover it” than a selling price. I lost my files years back but I wouldn’t value them over $200 or so.
It would be surreal to have your friends files after they died though. Imagine all the sounds and unfinished projects.. it’s almost more personal than having their diary or some shit.

Imagine being so ignorant to synthesis the only way find your own sound is by maintaining a collection samples and vst presets and not specific waveforms, oscillator tunings, and modulation routing

i shitpost because i actually make good music and dont need this thread and i just wanna ruin the day for all you struggling noobs

>i actually make good music
not true btw

Princeton invention delivers 3D sound from ordinary laptop speakers

youtube.com/watch?v=SQmQD27uCt0

Attached: Princeton invention delivers 3D sound from ordinary laptop speakers.png (1920x1080, 704K)

Then gtfo I suggest because nobody likes you^^

I don't know what you're referring to but nevertheless fuck off

I apologize for being a total fag, but could anyone here possibly let me know what range these songs are sang in?

youtube.com/watch?v=zgxSYEFcePY

youtube.com/watch?v=zt0Me5qyK4g

youtube.com/watch?v=wKyMIrBClYw

youtube.com/watch?v=Vl1kO9hObpA (Only the guys voice)

You can flame me later idc, but I really like these guys tones and I'd just like to find out what range these are sang in.

Soprano.

tenor 1 for sure but sung super lightly in mostly head voice with a lot of breathiness + a shitton of studio production
quick listen seems to center right around the male passagio, g4-c5 and beyond
good luck, you have to already kind of have that 'tone' to make it work

I'm not really sure what my tone is or how I can find out (I suppose just record myself), I'm only like 2 days into singing really, but I want to maximize out my voice and sing to the best of my ability.

For now I can only sing from g2-b4 which makes me a tenor I suppose and that's a pretty shitty range. I'm sure my range can improve though since I haven't really trained yet. I'm sure my tone will develop more and more too the more I sing.

Thanks for letting me know though.

you can always train to go higher (but not lower), it's just getting that soft airy tone is something more innate. basses/baritones usually end up in full falsetto or yelling chest up there.
if you're only 2 days in don't even be worrying about that or other style things. just focus on pitch and not straining. and absolutely record yourself especially if you don't have a teacher

I see, great advice.

At the moment I am not really worried about it, but I still want to think about it. Lately I have been thinking of what I truly like, what music and voice, because I want to replicate what I like, it's only natural I feel like.

At the moment I am self taught, I'd like to learn a ton about voice and then get a vocal teacher further down the line but for now it's really hard to find good information out there since as a beginner you don't really know whats true and whats not, what works, what doesn't, etc...

I would 100% get a teacher as soon as possible, in the style you want. even for just a few starting lessons. vocals are one of the hardest instruments to get 'right' as you can't see what's technically happening and bad habits will fuck you over for months of recovery in no time. and there's a lot of bunk videos and lessons online that will lead you astray.
also, that style is really hard to do, it requires a lot of fine control up in a register that is finicky as hell. you should be practicing lower and more full to build up your base to start, then try to imitate later. it's too easy to spin your wheels going for style when you can't even hold a tune yet

I'm a pretty shy guy, I understand vocal teachers are there to help your voice get better but I don't think I have the courage to go anywhere if I personally feel like hearing my voice will make ears bleed.

At the moment I am not trying to replicate them, I just sing in whatever I feel comfortable in until I build up confidence. All of that comes way later.

>J-Hud Studio
>"Yehud" means jew in arabic

Ha-va - nagila xD

clyp.it/a3vh5dkf

clyp.it/tli1bl3z

ableton produced, not mixed or mastered tho

It's "Yahud", ya h'mar!

not that guy, but the voice is an instrument. to be blunt, get over your shyness and practice regularly and/or get a teacher if you want to get good

For sure, I plan on practicing regularly. Fuck it dude, I will also get a teacher in 2 weeks. I just need to look for some since I live in a place where there is nothing. I guess I have a big city near me though, a 30 minute drive.

Do you feel like anyone can get good or does someones tone determine a lot? If there was someone who was great at singing but had a shit tone they wouldn't succeed right?

Okay so after installig it, the range only is 12 dB so I will have to use the free J-Hud plugin. I hope that the sliders paths aren't too short so I couldn't be precise enough but I guess it won't hurt.^^ If it's crap I'm going to use ACID for mixing

with regular practice anything is possible. personally i feel a lot of people who think "oh my voice is weird my whatever is weird" are keeping themselves from their potential. you could have a pretty interesting voice, you just need to actually try.

acting is the same way, if you give it 110%, even if you're really a lackluster actor, viewers/listeners/etc will probably be enticed or intrigued

Hmm I guess I agree with you. You should always try if you really want to.

Thoughts on this part of the techno track I'm making?
clyp.it/eqwzkmyp

Attached: 1509591755662.png (500x412, 98K)

>clyp.it/eqwzkmyp
Clean up the tail on that kick, sounds like you've sidechained a air ventilation duct.
And you have little to low end on it.
Sounds like something out of a mid to late 90's video game.

>ableton produced, not mixed or mastered tho
You want a medal or something?
First beat is dull as hell, second one needs a lot more work and more movement in the bass.

I mean Macy Gray didn't like her voice either...

clyp.it/fwozhcah

review?

Attached: 1562264259753.jpg (719x695, 55K)

Nobody likes you either ram, you should leave too then

Bob Dylan hated his own voice and felt like every take was a mistake

You need to find the balance between criticizing yourself enough that you become better, and having enough ego that you have the confidence to use it.

Oh, well then yeah I would definitely spend what I could to get them back, it’s more dependent on disposable income.
....definitely over 200 wtf. Getting over 1000.... eh, I know how to make it again :S
I say that as somebody who’s completely broke though, so that range would stretch up a lot eventually

I’m still really curious about what the fuck he made desu

>almost more personal than having their diary or some shit
For real, that’s like inheriting 1000s of hours of somebody’s hard work.... crazy shit

Seriously though, beyond what? What's wrong with it?

Well, Dylan's appeal was his songwriting, no?
He could've had any voice and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Same with Kendrick Lamar, who's got a pathetic little dweeb voice but his appeal is in the lyrics so people don't care, while the same can't be said about other rappers whose voice is a big part of their success.

The opposite of thet would be (almost) any opera singer, who doesn't even sing their own songs but people love them for their voice and singing ability alone.

The rythm of the vocal sample doesnt match with your instrumental.

Synths sound really cheap.
Are you attempting some sort of portamento on the main lead or just blues notes with a saw synth? Because you should enable portamento instead because that doesnt work, sounds like you fucked up your keyboard playing.

The main idea isnt bad, but the vocal sample just doesnt match.
Your kick also needs alot more punch,.

Also tame your high end above 14 khz, it's all the white noise is tirering to listen to.

It is not about putting your best eggs in your best baskets. It's about having a consistent quality all around that keeps your music on the same level.

Vocals get in too soon. I'm still settling into the guitar part and I get immediately sidetracked by them.
Either make a no-vocals intro (even just a 1-bar one like Pharrell does) or make them start later somehow.

The timing of the guitar doesn't fit with that of the vocals (especially evident when she says "till my...").
Or maybe it's just the timing, I don't know.
Are you sure they're at the same tempo?
If they are and you're using Ableton, try warping the words to fit the timing that you'd have sung to this instrumental.

The song sounds like a royalty-free version of Wake Me Up by Avicii but with the vocals swapped because you didn't have the right to any country sample.
In other words, the style doesn't match.

The 0:15-0:29 kick's low end isn't really coming through, and I mostly just hear it like a mid-high pop like a woodblock or something similar.
This problem is less evident after 0:29, so maybe it's a different kick or it sits differently in the mix, but it's not as much of a problem, though it's still weak.

The synth sound that comes at 0:29 sounds super cheesy to me, but that's just my opinion.

The kick at the drop has the opposite problem. Too boomy and the attack is too weak.

The supersaw at the drop is too weak and simple. Sounds like a generic synth preset supersaw
Watch a few tutorials on how to make the different layers and understand why you need all those elements and how to balance them properly, and perhaps more importantly, how to stack your chords for them.

The white noise risers are too cheap.
The easiest way to get more interesting risers is to get Endless Smile by Dada Life, or if you're on Ableton, Bass Kleph's Wash Out rack.

Use a reference track (Wake Me Up) would be perfect for this song.
Listen to it and A/B it with yours to see where you're lacking. It becomes really apparent that it needs some serious re-balancing, as well as better sounds in general.

Attached: niagra-falls-toilet_o_1225756.jpg (640x942, 107K)

I agree, but the Dylan example isn't really appropriate for his case because if he had his level of songwriting he'd be more likely to succeed than if he an excellent voice.

Thanks!

Vocal is just placeholder but I think the vibe of the vocal is right

indeed Wake me up inspired me to make this song and the kick is low on purpose in the beginning

You're welcome.

Attached: 1b4o4g.jpg (500x500, 47K)

How do I make music that makes niggers melt like vampires?

Attached: tfwnofrens.jpg (800x331, 29K)

Join a conservatory.

eh, consistency is overrated. I'd rather work in like 5 wildly different genres and disconcert the listener.

same, my album goes from typical synthpop stuff to surf mixed with synth to back to synth and then to classical then very quickly angry piano noises mixed with opera rock and a little disco dig

I try to keep each album more or less self-consistent, but the next one is likely going to be completely different

boring post

youtube.com/watch?v=yWpJmPDw90k&t=873s

imagine thinking u yanks can beat this

It's not reciprocal though since I know nobody as well but I don't like him. Very absent and vapid person! check your grammar first^^

imagine thinking that is any good

youtube.com/watch?v=K3nyL3wL3IU

before you reply, STFU PUSSY

Lmao true

>I’m still really curious about what the fuck he made desu
It's a sound design thing that affects the sound in a certain way that can be used to make things that sound cool, but can also have applications in mixing (even though I'll probably never use it for that, as there are better ways to achieve those results for mixing).
I can't tell you what it is, but I can say that when When I used to say that there's nothing on the market that does what my thing does, I was a exaggerating a little. There have been similar things for decades but they've always been either very limited or they've always worked too badly to make them useful. My system is based on a "trick" that makes it work flawlessly at the cost of requiring some manual work (which makes it non viable as a product unfortunately).
Unfortunately for me, technology is progressing far enough that we might soon see a version of this tech that doesn't need my trick to work well, in which case I'd still have the best version (because of the sheer amount of things I can do with my system), but the differences between mine and whatever those would make wouldn't be as groundbreaking as what I can do now, which I think is enough to turn heads and give me a cool and recognizable sound that I can use to have more chances at "making it" (or that an already successful producer can use to make a lot of money by paying me a percentage of that lol).
If I play my cards right, I think that this is a possible golden ticket to success, but realistically we all know that I won't, and that I'll end up giving up and disclosing everything on YT in exchange for a donation to the GoFundMe that I'll set up for my imminent funeral.

shited this out today idk
clyp.it/lwwx5r3r

Attached: 67403747_2179308665512837_682385232917168128_n.jpg (576x960, 42K)

dude whatever, I'm better than you are and I don't have any problems with sharing shit, if you're really any good you'll have an endless stream of good ideas.

youll never get the secret weapons cia nigger

>I'm better than you are and I don't have any problems with sharing shit
Ok.

>if you're really any good you'll have an endless stream of good ideas
False.
I'm not good and I do have a ton of good ideas.
I just don't want to share any of them because doing so reduces my chances of being successful.

this thread is noticeably worse when you're around and you make it less fun for everybody else, you're an asshole

>imminent funeral.
dude please no
you're the only person i actually like here wtf

why does the top one remind me of that one girl in haruhi so much......

Realistically your chances of success are negligible anyway. Sharing stuff is more likely to get you positive attention than keeping everything a secret.

wow you must really be desperate to make such a big deal out of this user

Yeah writing like 50 words in response to idiotic posts while I do other shit is really desperate, I just can't let it go. This will keep me up at night for sure.

>dude please no
You have my posts in the archive. You can easily make a Markov chain text generator with them lmao.
But in all seriousness, my mom told me I can't so no suicide for me.

>you're the only person i actually like here wtf
I like you too man.
When my parents finally kick me out I'm gonna hitchhike to wherever you live and be a hobo in your area so we can hang out and shit, it's gonna be so lit senpai.

>Realistically your chances of success are negligible anyway
Absolutely true.
It's very much an all-or-nothing situation, and frankly I don't have what it takes to be successful conventionally so my only way is to have something remarkable enough to compensate for my other shortcomings.
Otherwise it's not even worth trying to be honest.

>Sharing stuff is more likely to get you positive attention than keeping everything a secret.
I don't think so. Sharing stuff is just gonna make me one of thousands of YouTube "teachers" who don't get any views and that nobody cares about.
Especially considering that it would just be a few videos, so I wouldn't even be successful as a YouTuber.

>hitchhike
you might have trouble trying to find a boat to get across the atlantic. I actually have a cousin in your country right now tho

... I may get kicked out to so we can be homeless buddies :^)

>It's very much an all-or-nothing situation
It's really not. Most success depends on aggressive promotion more than raw talent.

>Sharing stuff is just gonna make me one of thousands of YouTube "teachers" who don't get any views and that nobody cares about.
unless you have really interesting ideas or describe something specialized that no one else is doing

>I may get kicked out to so we can be homeless buddies
Fuck yeah, just like true artists.

>It's really not. Most success depends on aggressive promotion more than raw talent.
I'm talking about my situation being all-or-nothing, not about making it as an artist in general.
I know very well about the weight that promotion has, and I see it as one of the things that I won't be able to be effective at in the beginning so it's one of the things I need to compensate for.

>unless you have really interesting ideas or describe something specialized that no one else is doing
And what happens after I finish posting them?
Not all my ideas are groundbreaking.
Sure, I can make videos that are interesting for producers, but is that a sustainable market for YT videos? I think not. especially in the long term.

Let me just yawn at you little babbies with your babby music while casually dropping some REAL shit:
youtu.be/7B7skHB0IXo

i fucking hate you guys but imma use this video to make some swick wubs so thanks i guess

I think I've discovered how to be a great producer: produce music you could listen to with your mom.

Attached: a69d55073a0daaca515163e1d65b6ab7-imagepng.png (680x680, 188K)

clyp.it/tyntzpvo

i feel like i could have made the exact same sound with massive
what a W A S T E of time

guys i've had writers block for the past week this shit hurts :(((

>these clearly programmed wind instrumens on the intro
holy fuck so cheeky.
youtu.be/dXl2exeH8tI

Steve Aoki was on Joe Rogan's podcast recently.
youtube.com/watch?v=OfEUrEUS9Qk
Has anybody watched it?
Does he talk about music production, the industry, or anything that we'd find interesting?
I'm tempted to watch it but I'm not sure if it's worth the almost 3 hours it would take.

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 57K)

Lmao did you actually sample the guy's voice?
Not bad.

thxx bb. if nothing else i guess it was for the meme. i did the rest of that song earlier today and was going to scrap it so it was... a way to pass the time i guess

yeah, here's the bit i used
www97.zippyshare.com/v/ufuL8qgk/file.html

blog.landr.com/best-free-vst-plugins/

nah, that's real.
I've had people show me stuff they've recorded in studio and I've commented on that they maybe should replace the brass samples since they sound a bit lifeless only to get told that they were actually recorded and not samples.

I dont think a band like Metallica would chuck out money for a studio session for a string quartet and not chough up the aditional 300$ for a brass player to lay down a couple of lines.

If I want to use unquantized drums, how many bars should I loop?
I thought an 8 bar loop would be detectable but i can’t tell at this point

Also is using double BPM a Mike Dean meme or do is it really useful?

The first is honestly a dumb question
If you’re looping shit that’s crazy out of time it hardly matters, 2 bars can sound dope (ie burial and wonky shit etc)
Longer is always better and feels more human. Perform the whole song if you can.

Double bpm gives you more divisions to work with and more space to move off the grid, not a meme

clyp.it/24aixjym

well that was pretty fucking shit.

Attached: 1327464631606.jpg (641x427, 67K)

thanks

protip, if you're going to take the piss, at least edit out the mic drop at the end.
You might actually get some takers then.

thats just a sketch

Using compression in the beat, vocals and sidechaining in the vocals you get that effect.

do i still like it's stuck on the back of the throat?
vocaroo.com/i/s0qmRFk6cVvl

If you know that it's subpar and going to improve on it at a later point, why are you showing it to us?

There is no point in us pointing out shit you already know on a sketch you're going to make major changes to later.

What the fuck do you want me to say? Stroke your ego and comment on your vocal performance?

Fuck off.

yes im asking about the singin, stay mad asshole

Get a vocal coach or join a choir. What you are doing now is the equivelant of learning 3 chords on a guitar after a week and asking how your playing is.
Not very good and needs alot more practice. There is no point in giving you any advice whatsoever because your technique is so poor that you wouldnt even know what to do with it. Its like tryng to explain harmony to Demarcus, but he cant even recognise when something is out of key. If you cant set aside some money for a singing coach, then you're not serious enough about singing.

what is bad about my technique?

get a coach.

>www97.zippyshare.com/v/ufuL8qgk/file.html
Played around with it.
clyp.it/mkyv5zfg?token=d5480d60c031c1c9bf43506b1ced181e
I can't believe I spent 2 hours on this (not that I would've done anything better lol but still).

i did, he teached me breathing and mouth shaping.

>teached
It's "taught"

do you think my support, breath control and mouth shaping are still poor

and do i sound like im resonating on the back of the throat

Not the guy you were talking to.
I don't know anything about singing.
Just wanted to tell you the correct way of saying that.
I'm an ESL too and it's nice to know when you're saying something incorrectly, so you can start saying it right.

ok thank you!

Oh fuck now I want to go make some gargles like that lmao

I dug up an old shoegazey thing that turned out meh today and that other sound...
Productivity has gone to shit, time to seek solace in sound design
~__~

well your intonation is pretty bad, you can barely keep a note, you're searching everytime you do any intervals larger than a third, your range is pretty poor and you sound out of breath half the time.

Frankly, everything a beginner singer struggle with. There is no point it asking for feedback on your singing because you need a solid year of practice before there is any point on commenting on any of it.

This shit isnt something you just pick up one day and is naturally good at.

Have you tried changing up your workflow or your environment?
Even working in a different room (or changing the look/feel or your current one) can have a surprisingly huge effect on us, especially when it comes to creative work or generally things that are largely driven by our subconscious and emotions.

hey calm there
vocaroo.com/i/basedsU887prHP

I.... changed my ableton skin
Started playing guitar.... and trying to do some ghibli/sakamoto piano shit- physically feels better but it doesn’t become a song. The depression is creeping too

Sorry to hear that. Hope it gets better soon man...

>now is the time to /sounddesign/
"now" is American slang for "all day every day", right?

TIME WASHES AWAY EVERYTHING

Every time nationality comes up online I feel the need to apologize
I was meaning to ask you, do people hate us there? I have a cousin living there who’s an athlete and he’s been being like.... hazed I guess.

Btuu how you been man

>TIME WASHES AWAY EVERYTHING
True.

>Every time nationality comes up online I feel the need to apologize
Why?
I always assume anyone I'm talking with on the Internet is American unless I have reason to believe otherwise, and on sites like this you're in the great majority, so whatever you're ashamed of, you're not alone lol.

>I was meaning to ask you, do people hate us there?
Not particularly. At least that I know of, but I'm not the best person to answer that, so I can ask around if you want.
Also I think it depends on the area. Italy is pretty diverse culturally and people tend to have different opinions depending on where they're from (but I don't know if that extends to their opinion of the US).

>I have a cousin living there who’s an athlete and he’s been being like.... hazed I guess.
Lol what happened?
Was he more like the victim of banter or more like the victim of locker room group sodomy?

>Btuu how you been man
Same as always.
You?

.... it's typical shame at ones own culture, no reason in particular

>Italy is pretty diverse culturally and people tend to have different opinions depending on where they're from
Figured so, i guess it was a silly question on my part

It's been worse than banter but not sodomy level yet.
Idk, it's been on my mind and you're the only person I knew of to ask; he's a really nice dude but this guys also been a target of bullying in the past... I can't pin down why. The only thing I can think of is something as simple as him being imported talent and other players feeling competitive

I have been preeeeettty much the same too

I don't really know...
What sport is it?
Some are definitely less wholesome than others (especially the fans).
Italy tends to be quite xenophobic compared to other western nations, and there's a non-trivial number of racists too (who are more or less open about it), which mainly affects blacks (other immigrants are more affected by xenophobia).

>he's a really nice dude
Maybe he's too nice for his team mates and they took it as him being a pushover or something like that.
I was bullied a lot (but nothing severe) in middle school for this reason, and as soon as I learned to stand up for myself (and becoming a bit of an asshole too), it all stopped.

>The only thing I can think of is something as simple as him being imported talent and other players feeling competitive
Could very well be the case. Is he the only foreigner?
I assume he's the only one getting that treatment.

ring modulation is for fags

Bode shifting is the best shifting.

This helps, thanks user. I am finally getting to the point where music that I make is palatable and a big part of that is getting dumb question answered

FUTBOL VRO

Yeah maybe others see him as a pushover as well... I have no idea if he's the only one, it's not something I pry about you know? I haven't talked to him in a while, he could be having a better time now.

but billie eilish

>getting dumb question answered
it's always best to ask even if others give you shit for it!

If 10/10 is original vocals over original instrumentals, what are the following?
>original vocals over another artist’s instrumental
>reproducing another artist’s vocals on original instrumental
>reproducing both the instrumental and the vocals

Yeah, soccer can be on the not-very-wholesome side.
Here we don't really have gangs like in the US, so if you're a lowlife scumbag looking for a sense of belonging to a community, you either join some political activist group with violent tactics, or you join a soccer "fanclub" (called ultras) and become a hooligan.
These hooligans can be pretty violent and their behavior kinda affects the culture of the sport.
Look what these fuckeads had in my city lmao:
rainews.it/dl/rainews/media/Sequestrato-arsenale-da-guerra-Pavia-missile-aria-aria-da-800kg-riarmabile-era-in-vendita-cfd2137c-9e4b-4c17-a4e4-643cea16f85d.html#foto-1

Attached: 121212175-46d7109f-78a6-42f4-bd35-7e19a3816c98.jpg (880x660, 115K)

just how high are you right now?

Attached: 1555500966140.jpg (470x470, 57K)

wtf that's crazy

>ultras
never heard of them, that's pretty interesting though.

... it's weird to think of a country where gangs aren't as much of a thing though. My area is clean as fuck and even we had gangfights and activity~ in our schools.

>wtf that's crazy
I should say that these weapons aren't for use in their soccer-cheering activities.
These groups often have political ties (see the nazi paraphernalia in the pics), which is what these weapons were for/from.

>it's weird to think of a country where gangs aren't as much of a thing though.
We've got the mafia to compensate lol.
But then again, the US has that too, so idk. I guess Italy is pretty nice on this front.

>My area is clean as fuck and even we had gangfights and activity~ in our schools.
Damn.

>never heard of them, that's pretty interesting though.
If you're interested you can skip around this video to get a general idea:
youtube.com/watch?v=MOj8h5Ptfu8