Robert Christgau, writing for Esquire in May 1968...

>Robert Christgau, writing for Esquire in May 1968, said the song [Fool On The Hill] "shows signs of becoming a favorite of the Simon & Garfunkel crowd and the transcendental meditators, who deserve it. A callow rendering of the outcast-visionary theme, it may be the worst song the Beatles have ever recorded." Christgau added that McCartney "should know better by now", but also conceded that the new songs were meant to be heard in the context of the Magical Mystery Tour TV film.

Attached: macca.jpg (480x660, 45K)

but the TV film was bad too

Fool on The Hill prevents MMT for being a 10/10 imo.

>thinking that the second best song on mmt is bad

Fool on the Hill is McCartney's best 1967 song. Yet another example of Christgau having the worst music opinions for 50 years running.

I Am The Walrus is a masterpiece, though. I'm talking about a garbage granny song.

People post guys like Christgau and Scaruffi and their "criticism" is literally musically illiterate surface-level fluff dolled up in epic quips. Is this really entertainment to you?

>Robert Christgau
why do we talk about this guy? is he just a 60-year old megameme? or does he have some cultural significance? ive only seen his name here on mu and ive been no better and no worse for it.

>or does he have some cultural significance?
He was the most relevant critic on the 60's. His opinions are garbage though.

>most relevant critic
Oh. Wow.

he's 80 years old

Critics are worshipped here because we're on a forum full of idiots that have a hard time forming their own opinions.

Sounds like Yea Forums a decade+ ago.

He's been on record as saying he thinks The White Album is overrated and has too much Paul songs. Of course he also thinks Pet Sounds and Astral Weeks are overrated.

Pet sounds doesn't even register on my music radar. It's an ok album.

>He's been on record as saying he thinks The White Album is overrated and has too much Paul songs
That's a based opinion

Listening to TFOTH I can see why he wouldn't like it given his usual tastes. It's pretty floofy and poofy and British and baroque pop.

>Pet Sounds: A good album that never meant anything to me personally. I prefer Wild Honey, GH, and many other late '60s-early '70s albums.

77 but whatever.

The Fool on the Hill is ok, it's not my favorite Beatles tune but it's not bad or anything.

Was that before or after he wrote that Jimi Hendrix was a self-indulgent porch monkey?

It's his second best after She's Leaving Home

Scaruffi at least will try to say something about the way an album sounds in most reviews. You're lucky if Christgau even gets that far since most of the time he just talks about the racial composition of the artist or their wardrobe.

Also what's this guy's fixation with greatest hits collections? Only ultimate plebians listen to those things.

He has a habit of liking albums for the most shallow, trivial reasons like one lyric referencing NYC.

>thing bad I no like thing
damn, nobody told me being a "critic" was so easy

Wheatfield Soul [RCA Victor, 1969]
This is a Winnipeg group that hit it big with a blue-eyed soul ballad titled "These Eyes" which most of you probably hate. I love it. Nothing else on the album is up to it, but with the exception of one bum track (which of course runs ten minutes), everything is well-sung, well-arranged, and personal without being pushy. Not to be confused with. . . B-

fool on the kiilllll