/jazz/

/jazz/ general. Let's see if we can get past 30 replies.

>What have you been listenin'?
>What is your favourite post-bop record?
>What current artist is worth checking out?
etc.

Attached: Archie_Shepp_Juju.jpg (960x720, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9Vi7yiPUOg0
youtube.com/watch?v=TYGKqTib0A8&list=PLyVALLXezqcdxpToZpOggdDHMo14uw17z
youtube.com/watch?v=iPrV80Ag0HU
rbt.asia/_/search/text/vijay iyer track/
youtube.com/watch?v=6HQa5so4Fow
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Let's see if we can get past 30 replies.
yet you guys just HATED the junkie poster who saved these threads all day

Lately I have been listening to some Whit Dickey quartets, the side with Matthew Shipp on piano is very good.

Attached: AUM108.jpg (300x300, 26K)

That guy was the worst. He just blogposted about his pathetic life choices and every once in a while mentioned what jazz record he was listening to. Dead threads are better than garbage junkie blogposter threads.

he had better taste than you

this shit is wild

Attached: 452307_1[1].jpg (475x475, 60K)

Listening to Barney Kessel's 1953 s/t album. Pretty good bebop so far, he's a good guitarrist. You can clearly hear Brazilian music influence on almost every jazz guitarrist from this period, from masters such as Laurindo Almeida.

finally listened to this
funny that it sounds like the cover looks - surreal and otherworldly but still pretty warm and welcoming
yeah it's super intense, although a little meandering / repetitive

Attached: out there.jpg (500x500, 47K)

I would say all dolphy art covers represent very accurately the album's content. Also, very good and consistent album somewhat obscured by out to lunch
Haven't heard him, but you got me interested with the brazilian influences part

Attached: R-595240-1531499493-8256.jpeg.jpg (600x587, 148K)

Just started listening to jazz after a long period, I'm digging Manu Kaché - Third Round and Destinations Unknown
Any recs are much appreciated, I have no clue where to start looking

been listening to lots of sonny sharrock and eric dolphy recently, also been big into the wilder sun ra stuff like atlantis and fireside chat with lucifer. one of my favorite newer discoveries in the genre has been joe mcphee's nation time, highly recommend to anyone who's into the weirder side of jazz funk/fusion. my favorite post bop album is pic related, mostly because this recording of "orange was the color of her dress" is probably my favorite jazz piece ever. close seconds are andrew hill's compulsion and michael garrick's moonscape.

Attached: 1F582975-EE04-483D-B6CD-791BFF6FFFCE.jpg (320x320, 33K)

I don't know him, but I can recommend some essential stuff depending on what are you into

I fucking love Nation Time. I got that box set of all the recordings of it and it's worth it. McPhee in general is damn good stuff.

That is probably one of my favourite tracks mingus has ever recorded, nice to see some love for it.

Attached: cat_toilet.jpg (154x250, 15K)

this has been my go-to relaxin record to stream at work for the past couple of weeks
it's quite mellow, not very stimulating, but very soothing
what's your favourite background smooth jazz?

Attached: 51jpKqN7kqL.jpg (500x500, 58K)

a lot of getz or szabo stuff is nice for background music, but I mostly dislike smooth jazz in general

acoustic alchemys live record is good for smooth jazz. check out angel of the south

I could never quite get on board with Out There. Been a while since I last listened but my recollection is that some of the sidemen weren't quite on Dolphy's wavelength.

On the other hand, Iron Man is an underrated album - give that one a go if you haven't already.

Attached: 8b1f0d01.jpg (600x600, 41K)

I love this album, but despite how heretical it is, I think I like the live renditions that come with the deluxe version a hair better, personally.

That's my only jazz album at the moment in my playlist for now (pic related). This one is more suited to be listened on a sunny day, I guess, given the light atmosphere emanating from the songs. The last time I've listened Dizzy was with Bahiana, almost 10 years ago.

Attached: cover.jpg (290x290, 31K)

stay salty, junkie poster
we know it's you, faggot fuck

Never heard of this album before. I'll have to check it out...

been going through a lot of miles davis' discography chronologically and relistening to this is a damn treat, his best work imo
>favorite post-bop
either bill evans - the paris concerts edition 1 or charles mingus - right now: live at the jazz workshop

Attached: getupwithit.png (426x427, 397K)

I know it's kind of a meme but honestly criss cross is pretty reliable when you just want some good musicianship and compositions and once you know what players you like. so rolling.

Attached: 1559010829929.jpg (2500x2188, 1.72M)

Pharoah Sanders is so spiritual. He is still alive and performing. His son plays as well.

How many times do you guys listen to a jazz album before you really feel like you’re starting to absorb it. It usually takes about 3 listens for me. Maybe more if it’s intense post-bop with intricate compositions and lots of interplay.

You’re not one of those people who only listens to a jazz album once and then forms an opinion on it right?

Attached: 4AE3426B-FD5C-43C4-8996-C5B351F7A4A9.jpg (823x549, 86K)

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
GURR GURR BAWWAAAAAAAAH

Attached: 20190813-Jazz-01.jpg (1024x1024, 177K)

I read Chris Cross for a second and I had to do a double take...

I form my opinions by shitposting about albums I like on Yea Forums and gauging the reaction
speaking of...

What makes this coltrane album better than the others?
I liked my favorite things and africa more

The first listen is to get an idea of how many re-listens an album is worth. Plus it depends on how you're listening. If you're shitposting while listening to an album, obviously you're not going to absorb as much as if you're giving the music almost your full attention.

Plus the more jazz you listen to and the more times you re-listen to jazz you like, the better you get at absorbing things in only one or two listens.

WE GOT [PAST THIRTY REPLIES WE FUCKING GID DID IT

more avant-garde, ambitious and influential I guess
Africa is also amazing though

I think you just mean 'more acclaimed.'
I like all the albums you mentioned and that one, too, so I guess it depends on how you like your Coltrane.

>tfw too stupid to enjoy Jazz
Feels bad lads

Attached: 1493471171020.jpg (846x1024, 59K)

roll

bump

don't bump, post some content or discussion, fagtron

don't yell at people for bumping, post some content or discussion, double fagtron

I saw stanley clarke live the other night and he blew my fucking mind. can anyone redpill me on clarke? is there an album where he plays mainly electric?

fine fagtron supreme

youtube.com/watch?v=9Vi7yiPUOg0

This kind of approach to composition is lazy. It’s basically 3 different pieces with little in common and so none of them has the time to develop very much. One piece ends and the next begins with no real segue or recapitulation, and yet I bet the artist will pay himself on the back for creating such a “unique modern jazz composition.”

What kind of person gets angry at somebody for bumping a Jazz thread?

how can you be too stupid to enjoy jazz? just listen to it.
do you enjoy the sound? if yes, then you enjoy jazz.

This is God tier

Attached: EA8B90AC-53D2-4562-98FE-FB9FC9682778.jpg (3000x2929, 1.42M)

Attached: 615B054C-E061-4469-9D02-5649669ABDD0.png (739x415, 13K)

Based and adamneelypilled

roll

His enjoyment tops out at AC/DC levels of music.

sad!
i'm a bit of a brainlet too, i just like the way jazz sounds desu. i try not to overthink it and just enjoy the music.

Currently chillin to pic related.
Awesome fusion, can't believe I've never heard it before.

Attached: R-508046-1241571681.jpeg.jpg (490x481, 44K)

roll

roll

roll

Jazz AOTY so far imo. Latin jazz has been done since the 50s obviously but it's having a renaissance moment right now.

Attached: a0392385493_10.jpg (1200x1200, 378K)

how many jazz albums still get released per year

Probably somewhere between 300 and 500 depending on what you consider "jazz"

This shit slaps

Attached: 043E65C3-255B-480E-B032-C58EF1531459.jpg (355x355, 25K)

This is such a good album, one of the best mahavishnu solo releases

and how many are any good

well that depends on what you consider "good" doesn't it? Listen to some that are highly rated here, on RYM and in publications like downbeat or allaboutjazz and you'll probably find one or two you like.

desu I find this way more contained than I was expecting. Ascension, Meditations, and Expression convey the sanctity and ecstasy better to me.

rolling

rawl

>Latin jazz has been done since the 50s obviously but it's having a renaissance moment right now.
I would rather listen to stuff like this any day than the terrible hip hop/spiritual jazz fusion that is popular in europe right now

so one or two good albums a year, gotcha

fuck off. at least the european shit sounds fresh unlike almost all the jazz coming out of america

Currently listening to a DSD rip of S' Wonderful Jazz by the Eddie Graham Trio. Music and recording quality is phenomenal.

Examples? Is this like the albums Kaidi Tatham's been making?

Attached: W-8418 - sleeve.jpg (1417x1417, 2.11M)

bump because i love jazzzz

Sun Ra though

Attached: Secretsofthesun.jpg (316x316, 30K)

What's your top 5 jazz albums?

Is Future Shock - Herbie Hancock jazz?
Also is that Touhou poster from a few threads ago here?

future shock is basically a techno album
but it fuckin' rocks

Attached: journey in satchidananda.jpg (301x300, 22K)

so chill, but I liked universal consciousness better

I have the attention span of a fly. How do I keep listening to a jazz song after the head?

Do you not get into the solos? Maybe you're listening to the wrong type of jazz, I'm a brainlet & sometimes bebop solos can sound like boring wankery to me if I'm not in the mood.

Attached: folder.jpg (500x500, 79K)

just try to concentrate and immerse yourself in the improv, try to focus on whichever instrument you like the most

Anybody know where I can dl this?

What is your top 5/10? I want to broaden my jazz horizons

saw a docu on jaco pastorius on youtube last week and have had a few rotations of his own stuff and weather report. I was really into weather report like ten years ago, so its been cool and a little nostalgic

Attached: JacoPAstorius-e1506014106975-1024x580.jpg (1024x580, 102K)

not him but I don't have the attention span to listen to a solo and as a result like jazz less than it deserves and prefer hip hop that samples jazz because I can get the jazz spiciness and character that I really like in a short-attention-span friendly format thanks to the looping but then I realize that I'm a faggot and should also listen directly to jazz my god how did I end up here I used to listen to bach's cello suits for fucks sake

Nujabes, guru and jdilla fan here ;)

rolling

The London scene is by far the best thing going on in the current jazz world. Butthurt American jazz snobs just won’t accept anything that has any hint of mainstream popularity because they think jazz is some secret academic club.

Second quintet was the peak of jazz

The music of Bob Graettinger. What a fucking trip.

V.S.O.P; it's basically the Second Great Quintet but with Freddie Hubbard rather than Miles. Shit's bitching.

I went to see Eric Wurzelbacher live the other day and that was pretty sweet, the drummer kicked ass.

>tfw he did a live set with Rashid Ali
>only found out about it a few months ago

autism is a spectrum and you’re on it

roll

It's on youtube, you can rip it from there
Was it good? Wouldn't mind killing time on a jazz doc
Took a gander at , it does not disappoint. Giving it my 3rd runthrough
Conrad Herwig - A Voice Trough The Door
>thinking I know anything about my vibrant, local scene
lul

yeah dude, it was pretty cool.

Miles Davis Kind of Blue (yeah I said it)
>What is your favourite (sic) post-bop record?
I don't know what post-bop is.
The Comet Is Coming released a good album this year

which jazz clubs in New York City should I make sure to go to? I'll be there three nights and I plan on seeing jazz all three nights. Maybe twice in one night if the schedule works out.

god that singing style is annoying

DO NOT MOT 9-30-19

I have a decent amount of education in jazz music theory, but I don't know shit about the genre. All recommendations I get on the interwebz are either pic related, or Ornette Coleman, or Sun Ra. Aka weird outlier shit.

Can anyone rec some straightforward classics that are a little more obscure?

Attached: MI0001433281.jpg (500x496, 41K)

got to say... this is boring shit

youtube.com/watch?v=TYGKqTib0A8&list=PLyVALLXezqcdxpToZpOggdDHMo14uw17z

Pic related. It's pretty enjoyable. It's nice hearing a good vibes player accompanied with other competent musicians.
Probably Miles at the Plugged Nickel. So much amazing material from that set of recordings.
Vijay Iyer has been up to some great stuff this decade. Excited to see what he does next.
>etc.
Hypothetically, if Yea Forums was to vote on the album of the decade and The Epic was the only jazz record in the running, would you vote for it?

Attached: Kingmaker.jpg (1400x1400, 290K)

Attached: Sonny.jpg (960x720, 37K)

alright, these are some of the albums I have been listening a lot in the last few months

Charles Mingus - Let my children hear music
Horacee Arnold - Tales of the exonerated flee
Peter Brotzmann Octet - Machine Gun
Eric Dolphy - Out to lunch
Hermeto Pascoal - Zabumbe bum a
Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction
Charles Gayle - Repent
Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Prepare Thyself to deal with a miracle

Attached: Jazz10.png (2374x644, 269K)

>so one or two good albums a year, gotcha
It's probably closer to 10+ if you actually like jazz.
Non-jazz fans will usually find one or two albums they like a year. See Kamasi, The Comet is Coming, etc.

really good shit, but I feel like Machine Gun is a hard sell to people who are still trying out jazz, even free jazz
I love the shit out of Brotzmann and his regular conspirators, but something like For Adolphe Sax or even something later like Stalker Songs would be good
Science Fiction is one of my absolute all time favorite records, too

ty

Pic related is also great.

Attached: jtg.jpg (1536x2976, 1.38M)

>really good shit, but I feel like Machine Gun is a hard sell to people who are still trying out jazz, even free jazz
not if they're noise rock fans tho

then you should hit them with the Olatunji Concert album

or pic related

Attached: a0519322857_10.jpg (1200x1189, 351K)

this and the Brazilian Funk albums are two of my favorite from this year
real good shit

this sounds interesting, will check them out user

Bossa Nova is my favorite

shit this is good

I think not! I will get into jazz one day
The attention span shit is due to using too much Yea Forums and youtube. But I will fix it, I'll try to fix it

>Autism is a spectrum
It's not. It's a post-metal band from Vilnius, Lithuania.

Is Brad Mehldau the current best jazz pianist (not including the legends who are still alive like Hancock and Tyner)

forgot to post this link with the question
youtube.com/watch?v=iPrV80Ag0HU

Craig Taborn tho

Attached: DU.jpg (474x473, 24K)

bump

Attached: Tati.jpg (600x600, 32K)

I know it's far closer to noise rock/grind than actual jazz, and I like plenty of normal jazz, but I'm pretty excited for the new Dead Neanderthals album.

Attached: 65433.jpg (225x225, 10K)

both are great but I prefer David Kikoski personally

I've been enjoying EABS recently and especially this album.

Their slavic spirits is pretty cool too

Attached: repetitions.png (750x750, 157K)

Attached: nbn4_2520085_grande.jpg (392x393, 44K)

>Hypothetically, if Yea Forums was to vote on the album of the decade and The Epic was the only jazz record in the running, would you vote for it?
If there wasn't any other album I enjoyed more, then yes.
People throw their pitchforks at it because it's popular but it's a decent album and there's quite a few tracks that I enjoy

What are the best albums from him?
I'm digging this

anyone here happen to have sheet music for grover washington jr's mr magic in b flat?

this lasted way longer than i expected

All of the “Art of the Trio” albums from him are great. “Ode” which is what that YouTube link comes from is very good as well.

rolllllllllll

rollin

very intense listening, I digged the free jazz-batucada fusion in the new brazilian funk.

What is /jazz/'s favourite Monk album??

Townhall or Monk's Dream

Alone in San Francisco

Solo Monk is the best way to hear his true voice as an artist. There are almost always some issues with his quartet recordings.

Is this album actually widely respected or is it just a meme because of jazzthreadguy?

It is a legitimately great album. Those guys are some of the best in modern jazz and they were really on form for that album.

I really like this live set with Coltrane

Attached: 220px-MonkQuartetWithColtraneCarnegie.jpg (220x220, 9K)

>Hypothetically, if Yea Forums was to vote on the album of the decade and The Epic was the only jazz record in the running, would you vote for it?
No. Even though jazz is probably my favorite genre I would have a hard time voting for a jazz album to be album of the decade. Especially since most all of the good jazz albums this decade have been virtually ignored while albums like The Epic get credit for keeping jazz “alive” or whatever.

Is there really even such a thing anymore as a “widely respected” jazz album? Sure there are the ECM artists and things that are praised by critics but most of them are forgotten within a few months.

Then there are artists like Kamasi or Sons of Kemet that are widely popular even with the non-jazz crowd but are very, very divisive among the usual jazz critics. And usually the ones who are the fans try to make the argument that if it’s bringing attention and some commercial success to jazz then maybe it’s a good thing even if the music itself isn’t the best.

I’d say maybe the closest thing to a “widely respected” jazz artist right now is Vijay Iyer who gets good reviews from both Pitchfork and the more traditional jazz critics and incorporating some elements of hip hop and electronic music. Even then he seems to be controversial on Yea Forums and reddit with some people saying they can’t stand him.

>Even then he seems to be controversial on Yea Forums and reddit with some people saying they can’t stand him.
On Yea Forums? I've never experienced that. He's been on Blindfolds and people said they liked him. I called him one of my favourite modern players itt and nobody said anything.
Can't speak to Reddit though. Don't browse there.

I like Brilliant Corners

what the fuck are blindfolds? I saw someone reference this in a thread last week too.

Attached: CvsD-CD011-640x654.jpg (640x654, 170K)

It was a weekly thread we used to do. Once a week someone would put together a playlist of ten tracks with all the metadata stripped off and people would download and listen to it. Then in the weekly thread they'd talk about what they thought of each track and guess who they thought it was.
He was on it a few times actually. People usually reacted pretty positively.
rbt.asia/_/search/text/vijay iyer track/

Thank you, lads

Saving with one of my favorite tracks in the world. That lick at 4:50 makes me want to fucking cum everywhere. Damn, imagine if Brecker was still alive and still pumping out jams like this. Simply outstanding

youtube.com/watch?v=6HQa5so4Fow

Side note but I think I should probably spring on an EWI4000s even if I don't play much anymore. (Been looking to get back in)

I think the price on these suckers is only set to increase, and it's probably the last time to get one with a built in analog synth since they did away with it in the 5000. I'm a sucker for analog synths, personally.

Attached: 2a4e971bff83717aa2e1d725b2e55a36.jpg (700x438, 16K)

Tina Brooks - True Blue

many hail it as the #1 Blue Note album, but nobody on Yea Forums has heard it.

One final bump, hoping it stays alive another day

RIP jazz

Roll

South African jazz is nice
Like 90% of it is just I-IV-V7-I but the simplicity is refreshing

Attached: complete-studio-recordings.jpg (458x458, 65K)

>That lick at 4:50
Yes dog that was fucking sick. It's been a while since I've hard a line so perfectly placed.

Attached: Inception_(McCoy_Tyner_album).jpg (315x315, 9K)

What's your top 4 Mingus?

Pithecanthropus Erectus
Tijuana Moods
Black Saint
Let My Children Hear Music

Michael Brecker’s soul still lives on in Chris Potter

Attached: R-5161214-1472730108-3227.jpeg.jpg (600x614, 235K)

Great record

Let Childeren
Black Saint
Ah Um
Presents Charles Mingus

I dont see the junkie blogposter anymore, he probably killed himself
Rest in piece poor soul

thoughts on Nat Adderly? He isnt as creative or even proficient as his contemporaries but its still enjoyable imo. Also, any reccs for dark jazz pieces?

im proud of this thread for being alive still

um

Attached: Screenshot_20190830-131246_GoneMAD Music Player.jpg (1080x963, 618K)

How come jazz cats like to bully me when I say I love Black Saint? I'm not even a jazzplebe, I've listened to quite a bit, but black saint actually is a masterpiece imo.

how DARE you enjoy something

Love to see a jazz thread get so many replies.
I haven't heard many new jazz releases but I HIGHLY recommend this one. A legit modern masterpiece.

I am a certified jazz cat and agree that Black Saint is a masterpiece.
rollin

Attached: flux.jpg (1200x1200, 697K)

roll

Dope album

You might dig this if you’re looking for something chill and similar

Attached: A73A6630-A6B6-4D10-B31E-D7AF670A7B43.jpg (599x590, 125K)

What's the /jazz/ equivalent?

Attached: 1554519773409.png (600x594, 822K)

Starbucks jazz albums on helium

god damn do i love this record

Attached: cover.jpg (300x300, 22K)

Alot of purists hate Mingus because he was too Classically influenced, same happens with Bill Evans

Petzold

It's weird that the smartest and most talented jazz fans I meet aren't the ones who study it - it's usually people who claim to be jazz fans.

Sorry I meant "are the ones who study it" oof