BRITPOP

The madness, the excess, the tunes. It's a Britpop thread. Americans: on your best behavior.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZpR5u9vaIVo
youtube.com/watch?v=_bqIeGDalrw
youtube.com/watch?v=APVXWgxk5is
youtube.com/watch?v=SYVYXP6UFIM
youtube.com/watch?v=974zxbBuwwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ripYh8-49Ek

Attached: c14a533wxlf31.jpg (664x1000, 156K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bWjQdSOgTy0
youtube.com/watch?v=GSCRUwJk1_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=cOD8kSCQT8M
youtube.com/watch?v=-PdKGDMhau4
youtube.com/watch?v=POIIGYt5RlE
youtube.com/watch?v=360oz9duZNU
youtube.com/watch?v=40fexU2Bzis
youtube.com/watch?v=eY2dcd_OtlU
youtube.com/watch?v=jePuw3Chq0g
youtube.com/watch?v=YFc_I8LXKak
youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4Zj-YNNvs
youtube.com/watch?v=0v9WhRpQw8E
youtube.com/watch?v=ieblcp1fDis
youtube.com/watch?v=EUQhdF_kAFI
youtube.com/watch?v=M1yOtSr5_wg
youtube.com/watch?v=a5RKWKI8BEI
youtube.com/watch?v=QE3Fw9_HoNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pKreFEYoKQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=B5tq1fXTxhQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ABXb7ccEVnc
youtube.com/watch?v=brzzM31G4x8
youtube.com/watch?v=VTeAqZ6fzeE
youtube.com/watch?v=r9e_m9G3oGU
youtube.com/watch?v=hA8tR3awY_I
youtube.com/watch?v=-BhXeGemai0
youtu.be/FZnGKlx4UZU
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KExWAl7FYm0
youtu.be/dHlLcVHncDw
youtube.com/watch?v=y411Wggex4c
youtube.com/watch?v=zosfGRjwZFA
youtube.com/watch?v=Fx5bfLI5slU
youtu.be/NsVSgQlPgf4
youtube.com/watch?v=WyacZq8ulcA
youtube.com/watch?v=VgW2b6fofuQ
youtube.com/watch?v=j4sP1CTuIjs
youtu.be/jBsKxFrPmBA
youtu.be/RhRIsWQMu34
youtu.be/9vGoJtuFJXU
youtube.com/watch?v=ZApqDVYH1DI
youtu.be/m14pt9necao
youtu.be/fLH8wC7jMOY
youtube.com/watch?v=TthhN9AiD7I
youtube.com/watch?v=qks__ZNvhiw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Friendly reminder Pulp is the only britpop worth listening.

The Britpop era seems like it would have been so much fun to live through as a twenty/thirtysomething. So much more exciting and life-affirming than drab grunge shit.
Any oldfags with personal experience here?

>Alive (8 Track demo)

Superb choice, OP. I'm encouraged there are actually legit Oasis/Britpop fans on Yea Forums and not just retarded MAYBEEEEE posters.

youtube.com/watch?v=bWjQdSOgTy0
youtube.com/watch?v=GSCRUwJk1_Q
youtube.com/watch?v=cOD8kSCQT8M
youtube.com/watch?v=-PdKGDMhau4
youtube.com/watch?v=POIIGYt5RlE

>not linking the Stay Together vid
Based and suedepilled

90s Britain was the last hurrah of creativity, positivity and decency. Good times

youtube.com/watch?v=360oz9duZNU

>creativity

Yeah.

>positivity

Definitely.

>decency

Ehh...

Attached: DWk2MQBXUAAYbOP.jpg (664x434, 65K)

>ywn see Oasis live in '94 when they were still playing seedy nightclubs and not arenas and stadiums

youtube.com/watch?v=40fexU2Bzis

Why live?

Stay together is one of my favorite suede songs + Mansun nice choices

based boomer

>Superb choice, OP. I'm encouraged there are actually legit Oasis/Britpop fans on Yea Forums and not just retarded MAYBEEEEE posters.

The first rule of Britpop: as good as the singles are, the B-sides are literally always better.

MARMITE

Oof. Na dude. Pulp is great, but Suede is the best. Period.

>boring uninspired music is good because it’s life affirming and positive
>>>/w/hereverteenagegirlsspendtheirtime

People who think that Suede or Pulp were any good should be shot. Those bands are actually fucking tiresome to listen to and Oasis is the only one that stood past those times with songs that still get any listening

Suede were exactly as immediately satisfying and powerful as Oasis, only they also had some depth and intelligence to them.
I don't understand how anyone could love early Oasis but hate Suede. Both were fucking great guitar bands.

Suede was also way more varied and experimental when compared to Oasis. Brett Anderson also has better range(and is hotter, btw).

Suede and Pulp had musical ability and style, Oasis were all about bravado and stealing riffs. I enjoy them all but there is no question that Suede were a "better" band than Oasis. Pulp had a pretty unique sound but it sounds a bit dated now.

i like Blur

Based. The best Britpop band, only Pulp comes close

youtube.com/watch?v=eY2dcd_OtlU

Attached: 1507350300213.jpg (354x286, 15K)

youtube.com/watch?v=jePuw3Chq0g

I always regarded Shed Seven as C-listers but this was a wonderful single.

youtube.com/watch?v=YFc_I8LXKak

>Ocean Colour Scene
based. I don't know why these guys aren't as well remembered as Oasis when they basically had the same sound but better.
Honorable mention to Steve Craddock who played guitar on most of Paul Weller's 90s stuff
youtube.com/watch?v=Ih4Zj-YNNvs
youtube.com/watch?v=0v9WhRpQw8E
youtube.com/watch?v=ieblcp1fDis

Cradock and LGx also did an outstanding Jam cover in the late 90s.

youtube.com/watch?v=EUQhdF_kAFI

I would dare to say that Liam actually outdoes Weller here. So fucking haunted and desperate.

britpop more like shitpop

>that lineup
take me back

Attached: image.jpg (630x924, 206K)

>Radiohead
>britpop

also Steve White, brother of Oasis Andy White, was his live drummer for a long time

haha based

Reminder that Blur are responsible for Brexit

when damon realizes this hopefully hell depart from this mortal coil soon

OCS were a proper band, seen them live many times.

Radiohead were indeed a part of Britpop during the Bends days, as butthurt as Yorke is about the association nowadays.

why would you just post a clip of them miming? the microphone isn't connected to anything kek. Big Breakfast was comfy as fuck though.

Because the T In The Park performance is grainy and clipped as fuck, even if it is also pretty good.

youtube.com/watch?v=M1yOtSr5_wg

I actually genuinely like WAYSIS. MAD FER IT.

miming on tv is an old and proud tradition in british pop, one that is sadly dying (dead?)

By association only

>yfw Swedes were better at britpop than the British
youtube.com/watch?v=a5RKWKI8BEI
youtube.com/watch?v=QE3Fw9_HoNQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pKreFEYoKQ4

Attached: 1520115041550.jpg (489x499, 27K)

Few albums out there capture the constantly exchanging agony/ecstasy of alcoholism better than Mansun's Six.

youtube.com/watch?v=B5tq1fXTxhQ

For me, it's The Cardigans.

youtube.com/watch?v=ABXb7ccEVnc

sick riffs coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=brzzM31G4x8

based. swedish indie in the '90s was so much fun

youtube.com/watch?v=VTeAqZ6fzeE

this song FUCKS

>TFI Friday

Biblical.

youtube.com/watch?v=r9e_m9G3oGU

>tfi friday
there's a clip of shaun ryder walking from evans' interview to the stage and punching women in the audience on the way cuz he's so boyishly excited about getting to sing a sex pistols song

>ocs gets namedropped
>still no mention of supergrass and pre uh verve

BOUND WITH ALL THE WEIGHT OF ALL THE WORDS HE TRIED TO SAY
CHAINED TO ALL THE PLACES THAT HE NEVER WISHED TO STAY
BOUND WITH ALL THE WEIGHT OF ALL THE WORDS HE TRIED TO SAY
AND AS HE FACED THE SUN HEEEEEEEEE
CAST
NO
SHAAAAADOWWWWWWWW

youtube.com/watch?v=hA8tR3awY_I

They were fucking gods for a few years in the 90s. They were beyond gods. I really don't think this is debatable.

It's not Britpop, but fuck it. I remember watching this as a kid of 11. TFI was classic 90s
youtube.com/watch?v=-BhXeGemai0

Gene were pretty underrated
youtu.be/FZnGKlx4UZU

you now remember the charlatans
m.youtube.com/watch?v=KExWAl7FYm0

>not Chasing Rainbows or On Standby

Oh here you go then
youtu.be/dHlLcVHncDw

These guys and James are actually still active and touring without breaks, I wonder how they survived for so long

>GOAT tier
Pulp, Suede, Manics

>Great tier
The Verve, Mansun, Doves, Supergrass, Super Furry Animals, Puressence, The Divine Comedy, Teenage Fanclub, The Auteurs

>Good tier
Blur, Longpigs, Jack, James, Gene, Strangelove, Rialto, Elastica, Placebo, The Charlatans, Early Oasis, Lush, Shack, My Life Story, Dodgy, Kula Shaker, Ultrasound, Marion, The Boo Radleys

>Meh tier
Stereophonics, Travis, Ocean Color Scene, Ash, Sleeper, The Lightning Seeds, Black Grape, Shed Seven, The Bluetones, Space

>Shite tier
Post- MG Oasis (apart from a few singles), Menswear, Catatonia, Gay Dad, Cast, Ride (Last 2 albums), Hurricane #1, Embrace, The Supernaturals

This is among the best pop songs of the 90s. Literally top 5 tier. I don't care if it just about barely squeezes into Britpop, it's just so fucking good that I feel the need to shill it.

youtube.com/watch?v=y411Wggex4c

>Menswear
they were a fucking joke

High and Dry is a total britpop song

Fuckin hell lads, there's loads of TFI Friday on youtube. This is like a time machine back to a comfier time.
>based Jarvis

youtube.com/watch?v=zosfGRjwZFA

Bowie thought Placebo would conquer the world(which they actually kinda did on a small scale). He thought they would end up being bigger than Oasis(which they definitely didn't do).

youtube.com/watch?v=Fx5bfLI5slU

SINCE I WAS BORN I STARTED TO DECAY

move OCS to Great Tier, and Blur to GOAT tier

Is this proto Britpop? Apparently two members went on to join Corduroy (acid jazz outfit) in the early 90s
youtu.be/NsVSgQlPgf4

Other than Nancy Boy were they ever really Britpop?

it really is a miracle how it all came together. noel, this deadbeat guy, feeling time is slipping away from him, takes over his shithead little brother's bar band as a last desperate measure to channel his creativity. turns out the dude has a backlog of amazing songs, half of them actual fucking anthems. that gig there opens with not one but *two* b-sides and has the audience in complete ecstasy from the very first riff
and liam, pretty enough to attract hordes of screaming teens and yobbish enough to appeal to even the most braindead hooligan grunts. turns out he's the perfect fit for his brother's songwriting
and as if that wasn't enough: both of them are absolutely golden interview subjects as well, total characters. i get the feeling that a large part of oasis remaining in the public imagination, at least among young people, is all the soundbites and youtube clips of them being angry/rude/funny, just perfect celebrities

how the fuck did they pull it all off

there won't be another rock band like oasis

youtube.com/watch?v=WyacZq8ulcA

i remain convinced that brian loko or whatever his name is is the worst singer of all time, at least in relation to the amount of exposure his band got, and certainly one of the more irritating figures in pop music

also it's remarkable how shit taste bowie had in the '90s (and beyond). if you were a fan of the classic stuff back then his dadjungle industrial concept albums and weird internet excursions left you crestfallen and embarrassed

>i wanna be johnny rotten :3
CUTE

mansun, manic street preachers, pulp and blur were the way to go for me

youtube.com/watch?v=VgW2b6fofuQ

What was the deal with Britpop bands' constant incapability to realize when they had hit singles on their hands? Why did they put out so many great songs as mere B-sides?

Bowie's mid-to-late 90s albums aged terribly, which makes the posthumous cult following around them all the more baffling.
I have to say though, I actually liked the NIN/Bowie collaborations on the Dissonance tour.

youtube.com/watch?v=j4sP1CTuIjs

i forgot suede and supergrass whats wrong with me. i listened to them more than pulp

oasis is okay

more than blur actually. thats the least best.

and whats wrong with good b sides. theyre like hidden gems

Thanks for this. I've basically only have heard Summer Son and Inner Smile by Texas.
Did he do any drugs? He looked young for entering his mid 30s.

Indeed
youtu.be/jBsKxFrPmBA
youtu.be/RhRIsWQMu34
youtu.be/9vGoJtuFJXU

Take It Easy Chicken is easily in their top 5 songs

How did Mansun manage to get onto the Spawn soundtrack? That CD was a bigger deal than the movie it was extracted from, and Mansun had nothing even loosely resembling a hit in America before or after it. Grey Lantern didn't even crack the Heatseekers charts IIRC, much less the Billboard 200.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZApqDVYH1DI

>I'll sound like an old fogey, but I don't think you need drugs when you're younger 'cos there's still loads to do, you might not have even shagged anybody yet. During your 20s you've done quite a lot, so in order to make them interesting again you might as well have drugs 'cos your brain's formed, you can squish it about a bit and you've got more chance of not going mad. So you're alright at my age. If you start all that at 14, I mean, you haven't even finished growing yet.

Reminder that the Manics were going to be on the Judge Dredd soundtrack before Richey left
youtu.be/m14pt9necao

any fans of kenickie? they looked like a bunch of special needs kids and were pretty heavily shilled for a minute, but their first album + b-sides are great imo (as far as fun, bratty punk-pop goes)

Attached: marie-du-santiago-lauren-laverne-emmykate-montrose-of-kenickie-debut-picture-id542471469.jpg (612x403, 35K)

Great song. The Judge Dredd soundtrack had a fucking odd selection of bands either way. It had The Cure and the fucking Cocteau Twins on there. I think whoever was in charge of producing that soundtrack just asked a bunch of bands they knew were a fan of the comics if they wanted to do a song for the movie.

cho kawaii~
youtu.be/fLH8wC7jMOY

Which Richey definitely was

Attached: CF61D573-4C53-4ED0-8A85-B4103F78B858.jpg (448x750, 64K)

morrissey loved echobelly
youtube.com/watch?v=TthhN9AiD7I

>Texas

God-tier girlfriends-favorite-band band. By 1999 they were actually bigger than Oasis, though nobody seems to remember that now. Sharleen Spiteri was pretty crucial in the development of my obsession with androgynous women.

Moreover

Attached: D2969C11-E03F-4571-AA5A-AD06ACABA7D0.png (500x467, 559K)

I saw suede live recently and they were great also brett is still hot

Nobody can argue about the fact that Suede have proven themselves to be the greatest of the Britpop bands in the long run. The Blue Hour is legitimately up there with Dog Man Star and the s/t.

youtube.com/watch?v=qks__ZNvhiw

Fucking colossal.

Of course, the britpop bands are way better than pearl jam alice in chains and soundgarden kek

Love both bands

Of course Liam does. He’s one of the best singers of all time!

All britpop bands are better than Radiohead

Nigger Oasis belongs in Goat tier you really put them alongside lush and dodgy? Who the fuck are the longpigs?

Oasis are
Literally destroying all the bands in great tier

Liam is a style icon literally every band and man aged 13-34 copied him during the 90s

Attached: F0FFC0D6-8023-4D8B-A29D-250D55EAC018.jpg (869x1390, 133K)

bump

10 years lads

Friendly reminder to listen to the La’s

oasis feels like some kind of archetypal manifestation spat out by the universe
from their personalities as working class hooligan mancunian lads to their incredible ability to write anthems, it legitimately feels like there were forces outside human control at play in the creation of oasis.
It's uncanny how cartoonishly perfect they are as characters

haven't checked out The Blue Hour yet but I guess I'll have to!

He really had a knack for making even the cheapest, most streetl-level-looking outfits look cool as fuck.
I wonder how much of an uptick in sales of Umbro tracksuits there was following the Maine Road gig.

Attached: a3215403859d18766579c17370a89914.png (476x705, 371K)

>t.

Attached: 1260AFCB-418C-448D-A2D0-4BEDA5F34FD1.jpg (316x400, 29K)

>oxford shirt under tracksuit
maddest lad there ever was

woah lmao where's this from

2000AD

Attached: Metalhammer93.jpg (936x1340, 846K)

madferit

Attached: 1559024349365.jpg (400x375, 61K)