Advanced Yea Forumscore Chart

What do you think of the advanced Yea Forumscore chart, Yea Forums?

Also, feel free to roll by doing the following:
>take the four last digits from your post (XXXX)
>google "XXXX mod 1111"
>listen to the recording with that number
>share your thoughts
Have fun!

By the way, you can check out the list with links to each recording on this site as well: rateyourmusic.com/list/YellowJelly/1111-essential-recordings-of-music/

Attached: chart.png (2500x10000, 3.73M)

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~YellowJelly
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rollin rollin rollin

Attached: 20190825_193827.png (304x466, 135K)

>party pizzas
>ew tier
Shit taste bro
Rolling

>Yea Forumscore chart
>99% of the chart was never discussed on Yea Forums

>traditional Scottish bagpipe music
I'm not listening to this. Which autistic shut-in made this chart?

roll

fuck off im not listening to spic music
reroll

Can't read. Text too small.

This gay weeb son of a bitch: rateyourmusic.com/~YellowJelly
He didn't even listen to the albums.
>Q: What is the criteria for inclusion?
>A: This chart prioritizes early classics instead of the "best ever" or "most popular" from each genre, since the most essential album for each genre should be the one that "started" the genre. This won't include the very first example of every genre however, just the first "popular/influential" recording for each genre. This gives us a better perspective on the history of the genre and the history of music genres in general. If you don't like this approach you could still use this chart to guide yourelf based on the genres, which you can then look them up on sites like RYM and search for the "best" or most popular album from the genre.
>The exception to this rule was given when dealing with repeated genres, in which case the second spot was given to the "most different sounding" recording found from the same genre (the closest there would be to a sub-genre from within that genre), so with the intention to maximize stylistic diversity.

lmao what a faggot

Bitch, most of those genres don't even have a mucore album

I think you are a faggot and you have shit taste based on your rym account

thanks for being the most stereotypical poster of this entire board

Rolling to piss off people

It's good so far, thanks /advanced/

The fact that NEITHER Curtis or What's Going On is under the soul section is a disgrace

Curtis is already there you illiterate moron.

this list is stupid
Looking at the rock section alone, Rock and roll, garage, folk, and pop are severely underrepresented, plus obvious essential listens NOT being on here.
According to this list, in Rock alone:
>Apparently Bob Dylan isn't Essential Folk
>Apparently King Crimson isn't essential Prog Rock
>Apparently Can isn't essential Krautrock
>Apparently Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax aren't essential Thrash metal
>Apparently the Clash and The Sex Pistols aren't essential Punk
>Apparently Talking Heads and Joy Division aren't essential Post-Punk
>Apparently Spiderland isn't essential Post-Hardcore
>Apparently Pavement isn't essential Indie Rock
Yet instead, we have half a list dedicated to random world music that, while maybe being important historically, definitely isn't an essential listen for someone interested in music. Maybe if you want to be a music historian...

>Rock and roll, garage, folk, and pop are severely underrepresented
Everything is unrepresented because there isn't enough space.

If you were to add all the albums you just mentioned you would be left missing out more than half of the chart which is also essential.

There are only a hundred spots for rock, and the section for rock is as good as a hundred spots can get you. Be realistic.

rol

>Everything is unrepresented because there isn't enough space.
Then why doing this at all?

Because this is as good as 1111 recordings can get you, and if you are interested in music as a whole, or any of its genres, this chart is a good place to start. It only shares with you the very basics, after that you are on your own.

a neat idea but some of it is plain stupid

The hip hop section
>no mention of eminem
>gravediggaz as the standard of horrorcore
>kanye fitting in under midwest rap (what?)
>jerk rap as a genre

other points
>bathory- bathory is supposed to be the essential BM record
>no mention of led zeppelin in the rock section

this chart is pretty much a perfect demonstration of why you shouldn't really care about what started a genre

I'm just not a fan of this chart because it doesn't acknowledge the true peaks of individuality and quality for most genres. An example I'd state is choosing Man Who Sold the World over maybe Ziggy. Man Who Sold the World was a hard rock album that SET glam roots. Ziggy was a TRUE glam rock album through and through, and conceptually has been inspirational to artists for decades. I do appreciate some of the individual looks it takes at regional music, but even then, it doesn't do a quite well rounded job. 4 of the Carnatic Classical records are all from the same anthology, which doesn't really cover a realistic scope. I will say though, very happy to see Paco de Lucia made it in there, but if the focus is to reflect the ROOTS of genres, that's not a very perfect choice. You'd be better off with more compilations of early recordings, as he was a late player of more traditional styles, so quite a bit different than flamenco nuevo. This chart seems very conceptually confused. It looks to show the beginning of a style, but in the case of modern music, it favors muddled beginnings of genres over triumphant expressions that divide the music from counterparts, and with traditional music, it doesn't ever seem to grasp the full scope, or even repeats the same more than would be accurate to popularity OR to all styles in the area at the time. Fair effort though?

>ESSENTIAL recordings
>Loveless isnt essential Shoegaze
Based kek

or just realize that the entire left half of the chart is stupid and not actually essential music. No one has ever said, "you haven't heard real music until you've listened to String Music from Mali."
Essential music and historically important music are two different things.

And even so, some of the choices on this list are just absurd. Where is any Post-Rock? Apparently Southern Hip-Hop has twice the amount of essentials than both West Coast and East Coast Hip Hop combined? So many Post-Punk albums are missing but for some reason there are TWO Cocteau Twins albums, and neither of them are Heaven Or Las Vegas? Calling fucking Buyers Market an essential listen?

>perfect demonstration of why you shouldn't really care about what started a genre
Why not? There are hundreds of rock artists you could put on the chart, but no more than a hundred could make it, so you have to settle for just a hundred. Instead of Led Zeppelin there is Steppenwolf, who kickstarted the entire hard rock genre with their universally recognized Born to be Wild song, to name just one example.

>gravediggaz as the standard of horrorcore
They are easily the best choice for the genre.

>kanye fitting in under midwest rap (what?)
Kanye West is widely considered one of the most important midwest rappers.

>jerk rap as a genre
Huh?

>String Music from Mali
That album is awesome though.

>Essential music and historically important music are two different things.
But both are highly intervened.

>Where is any Post-Rock?
It's under Indie / Alternative.

>Apparently Southern Hip-Hop has twice the amount of essentials than both West Coast and East Coast Hip Hop combined?
Southern hip hop spawned a greater diversity of styles, especially during the last decades.

>So many Post-Punk albums are missing but for some reason there are TWO Cocteau Twins albums, and neither of them are Heaven Or Las Vegas?
There are two CT albums because they both pioneered a genre each.

>Calling fucking Buyers Market an essential listen?
It's a pretty unique spoken word recording, don't you think?

Loveless IS essential shoegaze, there are around ten thousands of essential recordings, but you can't fit that many on a 1111 recording list.

>there are around ten thousands of essential recordings, but you can't fit that many on a 1111 recording list.
>there are ten thousands of more essential shoegaze than Shoegaze
>implying there are a SINGLE more essential Shoegaze album than Loveless

>essential shoegaze than Shoegaze
Than Loveless*
Kek

Regarding Bowie I couldn't go with Ziggy because the chart attempts to show a history of music as a whole, with MWStW being the transitional recording from hard rock to glam rock, while this isn't seen with Ziggy, so it's not an ideal recording for the purposes of this chart.

>4 of the Carnatic Classical records are all from the same anthology
True that, I have been wanting to change that for a long time, I just haven't bothered yet.

>if the focus is to reflect the ROOTS of genres, that's not a very perfect choice
Are you saying he wasn't flamenco nuevo?

>it favors muddled beginnings of genres over triumphant expressions that divide the music from counterparts
Because it's meant to showcase recordings representative of transitional recordings to paint a better picture on the history of music. If you want to explore beyond what those recordings show you need to start looking yourself.

>with traditional music, it doesn't ever seem to grasp the full scope, or even repeats the same more than would be accurate to popularity OR to all styles in the area at the time.
Care to give any examples of this?

You Made Me Realise is just as essential as Loveless. Without the former you wouldn't have the latter and probably never shoegaze as a whole.

>instead of Led Zeppelin you have Steppenwolf
>two CT albums because they both pioneered a genre each
I think we just have different ideas of what "essential" music is. Just because it was first doesn't make it essential, IMO essential music is the best or most revered album in a genre, not the first.
If the list was "1111 Important Recordings of Music" I would be more open to having so many World records on the list, as they are definitely important historically. Buyers Market is important, but definitely not an essential listen. Whereas like is saying, Loveless is an essential Shoegaze album.

>that album is awesome though

I have to disagree. It must not be to my taste, but I only gave it two stars on my Yea Forumscore chart. I much prefer the preceding highlife music than the more traditional stuff.

h

>Just because it was first doesn't make it essential
Steppenwolf are without a doubt essential.

>IMO essential music is the best or most revered album in a genre, not the first.
And I'm not going with the first either. I'm going by most essential, a combination of influence, quality, and merit for having developed new styles of music. Steppenwolf fits this.

>If the list was "1111 Important Recordings of Music"
It's the same thing. If it's essential it's important, if it's important it's essential.

>Buyers Market is important, but definitely not an essential listen.
The logic behind the "non-music" category is a bit different than for the other categories, in that "unique" releases were given preference instead.

Sure, you might not like it, but it's a very beloved album by many. And there is highlife as well, there is something for everybody at the end of the day.

eh, semantics aside, I just think there are many more essential records that should be on this list instead of all the world music.

Also Buyers Market but no Pseudoscorpion? List is literally missing the greatest album of all time.

>there are many more essential records that should be on this list instead of all the world music
The "world music" section is underrepresented though.

>Also Buyers Market but no Pseudoscorpion?
heh
Different categories anyways, one is spoken word, the other is field recordings, I guess.

Has YellowJelly listened to it yet?
Roll

Yeah.

roll

>I just think there are many more essential records that should be on this list instead of all the world music.
So you think popular music from the past 50 years in America and Western Europe is more "essential" than literally all other known music put together?

No. I would say that starting from The Renaissance is when "essential" music of today began, music created earlier is absolutely important historically but not an essential listen.

>starting from The Renaissance is when "essential" music of today began
First, that's bullshit, because medieval music is essential too.
Second, Renaissance music predates most "world music", especially the one on the chart.

>but not an essential listen
It sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about.

Do you really think all important music is essential to listen to? For example, I would say that all of Bach's compositions are important pieces of art, but they are not all essential listens. Same goes for most traditional world music. Or for the opposite, Sweet Trip is not an important band, but Velocity:Design:Comfort I would say is an essential album.

>all of Bach's compositions are important pieces of art
I wouldn't say they all are, there they are not all essential listens.

>Same goes for most traditional world music.
Traditional music is important and essential. It's the music of the people, instead of classical (which is the music of the elites), and pop music (which is the commercialization of music).

>Sweet Trip is not an important band, but Velocity:Design:Comfort I would say is an essential album
I love that album, but I wouldn't call it important nor essential. There are thousands of albums mixing different genres, and Sweet Trip aren't particularly special for their own mix. They are not devoid of value at least, so we can give them that.