/jazz/

What have you been listening to lately?
What'd you think of it?
If you could freeze one jazz musician's brain for future neuroanatomy studies ala Einstein, who would you choose?

Talk about jazz in general. Jazz you like, jazz you don't like, jazz you don't like other people liking, etc.

Attached: RockistBait.png (1000x1000, 1.47M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Un9EOjbUWVA
youtube.com/watch?v=4WPCBieSESI
youtube.com/watch?v=YCLwu2vEp6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=6dDBrpCL5Qk
youtube.com/watch?v=8oXek-aeqhI
youtube.com/watch?v=nkgCg-svcKo
youtube.com/watch?v=eaeVLd4G1Zg
youtu.be/_r4pd6v7yTk
youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E
youtu.be/j0t9EV5PG7o
youtube.com/watch?v=0193TLJ63Lw
youtube.com/watch?v=vAn_gyNcvN4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZO1uMjz3n3w
youtu.be/2VopGbXJ0tc
youtu.be/E2y2ey2oPAk
youtu.be/T8VmcD211bs
youtu.be/C_CIUUxEuPE
youtu.be/F_tlfWdIGAo
youtu.be/-8At3fqoMDc
youtu.be/B-L5dTAme-s
youtu.be/9JtgGzR0doI
youtube.com/watch?v=rB1BEAGuGQI
youtube.com/watch?v=XiDR87-HRhA
youtube.com/watch?v=ZaYfLsdvyKw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think Mingus' studio albums are really good, but has anyone else felt that his live albums are just fucking incredible in comparison? Pic related but also 'right now at the jazz workshop'.
no brainer great album, 'get up with it' is his best.
also would freeze Trane's brain no question

Attached: townhallconcert.png (415x428, 430K)

Ive been listening to every jazz álbum released in 1953. The last one was Teddy Charles - New Inventions. One kd the first Avant Garde jazz albums. Pretty good, 7/10, although too short.

>Ive been listening to every jazz álbum released in 1953
Damn, that's a hell of an undertaking. Inevitably you're gonna hit walls where you can't find obscure records and such, but where/after how long do you think you'll call it a day?

>but where/after how long do you think you'll call it a day?
I dont think i understand your question?
But yes, ive skipped some albums i couldnt find. I tried to listen to every album since 1923 (45rpm albums; LP exists since 1948). Im using RYM's year by year lists.

Oh, OK I just took a look at the rym 1953 jazz chart and it's actually not that bad. I thought it'd be like a thousand albums.

Fusion tends to be either super proggy or takes much more from soul, funk and R&B than it does from Hendrix.
Why didn't fusion with blues rock jamming over a consistent and driving back beat catch on? This feels like an album you base a whole microgenre on.

Attached: JackJohnson.jpg (1000x1000, 124K)

Does Holdsworth qualify as Jazz? Am I allowed to post him here?

Attached: 01-Allan-Holdsworth-portrait-bw-billboard-1548.jpg (636x421, 43K)

Yea its not THAT much. and ive found planty of great stuff

I got to see Herbie Hancock in concert the other week. Was a phenomenal show bros. (Kamasi Washington was there as well, but I've seen him before. Was "OK" I guess) This guy jams and rocks harder than anybody half or a quarter his age. Terrace Martin is playing keyboard and alto with them, gotta say I have a newfound respect for him for being able to keep up with some of the stuff I heard going on.

Then, Hancock walks over and picks up a keytar and I've never heard a crowd go as wild for that. Closed on Chameleon, jumps up to end the song on the keytar too. I'm super glad I went, doubt I'll ever get to see him again. It was just an all around impressive show. Lot of that weird fusion vibe he is known for, but really demonstrated his chops as an artist, even at 79 FUCKING YEARS OLD.

Wasn’t commercially viable and jazz musicians generally live in terror of their audience. Miles just didn’t give a shit.

>Wasn’t commercially
It's kinda nuts this sort of thing couldn't find an audience when people were happy to hear Hendrix and The Grateful Dead improv shredding for 15 minutes at a time.

Attached: 1559010829929.jpg (2500x2188, 1.72M)

It's kinda mad how well a lot of the old jazz guard have aged. I went to see Wayne a while back and I was super impressed by how interesting his soloing was. He doesn't have the stamina he would have had during the second quintet obviously but he for sure made up for it by playing off the rest of the band and making each note count.

Haven't seen this before. Is JTG still making charts?

I caught Sonny Rollins when he was in his 80’s and the dude played for two hours straight and didn’t miss a note. Came out for an encore alone because he backing band couldn’t keep up

I’ve no idea. I saved it from one of these threads a couple months ago.

People think Ozzy has a great constitution for just surviving drug addiction but these guys were heroin addicts and have made it into their 70s/80s with a decent enough level of physical/mental fitness to continue touring and playing to a high standard. It's fucking nuts.
Don't think Wayne has actually talked about drugs but he was in The Jazz Messengers so we can assume.

Some of the stories about Miles in the late 70’s...whew that shit is dark.

Keep meaning to read his autobiography. I hear it's a great time. Wanna see if there's any truth to the idea that on average every 10th word is "motherfucker".

Give some recs

10/10:
Laurindo Almeida & Bud Shank - Brazilliance, Vol. 1 [1953]
Charlie Parker & Dizzy Gillespie - Bird and Diz [Compilation; 1952]

9/10:
Stan Kenton - New Concepts of Artistry in Rhythm [1953]
Charlie Parker - s/t [1953]
Gil Mellé Quintet/Sextet - New Faces - New Sounds [1953]
Machito - Afro-Cuban Jazz [1951]
Lester Young Trio - s/t Vol.1 [1951]
Stan Kenton - Innovations in Modern Music [1950]
Stan Kenton - Sketches on Standards [1953]
Stan Getz - The Artistry of Stan Getz [1953]
Max Roach - s/t [1951]
Stan Kenton - Milestones [Compilation; 1950]
Charlie Mariano - With His Jazz Group [1950]
Stan Kenton - Encores [1949]
Oscar Peterson - At Carnegie [1951]
Ralph Burns - Free Forms [1952]
Oscar Peterson - Plays Pretty [1952]
Johnny Hodges - Collates No. 2 [1952]
Gene Krupa - Dance Parade [1949]
Bud Powell - Piano Solos #2 [1950]
Sonny Rollins Quartet - s/t [1952]
Dizzy Gillespie - Cool Breeze [EP; 1952]
Woody Herman - Sequence in Jazz [1948]
Dave Brubeck Octet - s/t [EP; 1952]
Stan Kenton - Artistry In Rhythm
Duke Ellington - Liberian Suite [1949]
Harry James - Dance Parade [1950]
Benny Goodman - Benny Goodman Sextet
Charlie Barnet and His Orchestra - Hop On The Skyliner!!

That's my 10 and 9 list so far. I also have 8 and 7

>recent listening
(Other thab my own album) ive been listening to a lot of stuff i found on this label called eremite, late 90s early 2000s free jazz to an almost stereotypical degree but it is all really really high quality and i love it. What could ever be wrong with hamid drake and william parker in the rhythm section? Thats what you get for like over half this labels discog.
>free a brain
Bird, theres guys I am more interested in but theres no one i understand less then bird. Like cecil taylor or trane would be good ones obviously but I hear their stories and I understand why the were the way they were but bird, or MONK for sure, i just dont know what made them tick. Actually changing my answer to monk, heard he was probably autistic.

The Monk ‘63 rerelease from gearbox is really something. Haven’t listened to a lot of Monk’s stuff but Underground was great and it’s cool hearing an iteration of that combo play live. Seems like a good, accessible starting point if you’re looking to get into him

rolling. last time I got Form by Danny Grissett which was really good

r0ll

What's the worst album you've heard?

Recently been picking away at the albums in Coltrane's discog that I haven't heard yet, but a few months ago I started getting into a bunch of the releases on Criss Cross and those are all fantastic. Guys like Adam Rogers and David Binney are killer.

rolling of course

bump

Attached: 71vRiX5+6WL._SS500_.jpg (500x500, 26K)

I would learn to play basic jazz and then elect to have my brain frozen.

Eartha Kitt - RCA Victor Presents Eartha Kitt [1953]
Absolute trash vocal jazz album

>vocal jazz
And therein lies the problem. Vocals do not belong in jazz.

Screaming hot take right here

Attached: 430758E6-3BA8-4459-A644-DEAD3DD5AD47.jpg (540x720, 53K)

he's right though

Maybe the jazz you like, but the foundations of the genre were heavily rooted in vocals. Half the great American songbook has lyrics. Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, even Dizzy sang on some tracks. Louie has vocal numbers. You can not dig it but I don’t think you can objectively say it doesn’t belong.

More like the gay american fagbook. Fuck vocal jazz and fuck you!

This is less of a screaming hot take

The only screaming hot take you like is when you scream from the immense pleasure of taking a hot cock in your ass.

Nah, ive listened to some good vocal jazz.
Pearl Bailey - Entertains [1950]
Doris Day and Harry James - Young Man With a Horn [1950]
Billie Holiday - Sings [1952]

Those are all 8/10's imo. Pretty good stuff.

B FLAT MAJOR 6 DIMINISHED SCALE

Is it just me or jazz compositions really don't sound that long in any case? When I listen to jazz, I don't even think about time, it just flows. It's completely different for me to listen to 9 minutes long jazz recording and 9 minutes long rock recording. No matter how much I enjoy the rock track, I'm constantly well aware of the time and how long it is.

Definitely not true.
youtube.com/watch?v=Un9EOjbUWVA
youtube.com/watch?v=4WPCBieSESI
youtube.com/watch?v=YCLwu2vEp6Q
youtube.com/watch?v=6dDBrpCL5Qk
youtube.com/watch?v=8oXek-aeqhI
youtube.com/watch?v=nkgCg-svcKo
youtube.com/watch?v=eaeVLd4G1Zg

finally someone
it can't be even considered jazz with fucking vocals

right as hell

These are my favorite jazz albums, what should I listen to next?

>A Love Supreme
>In A Silent Way
>On The Corner
>Get Up With It
>Out to Lunch
>The Shape of Jazz to Come
>All Night Wrong
>Giant Steps
>Bundles

Man you're missing out on some great jazz. Billie Holiday's recordings with Teddy Wilson from the second half of the 1930s are absolutely essential.

Chet Baker / Bill Evans – The Complete Legendary Sessions

The flute on this is perfection

Attached: sjr-lp374-lloyd-mcneill-washington-slve.jpg (768x771, 221K)

Roland Kirk

youtu.be/_r4pd6v7yTk

Is this the longest running jazz thread of all time?

Nah, there was a brief time a few years ago when they'd get most of the way towards the bump limit.

Attached: MI0004335625.jpg (500x500, 55K)

Attached: R-1192136-1327280232.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 116K)

You're the reason jazz isn't popular anymore

this

you are basically a glorified popfag thb

I'd rather listen to that then instrumental music desu

thinking anyone gives a shit about what a larping weebfag would listen to

I'm pretty willing to bet I listen to more jazz than you do based on the uninformed looking generalization and dismissal of some of the most significant works in jazz history. Feel free to tell me why the vocals in any of those tracks don't work musically though if you're not just trolling.

I said t b h but for some reason this board corrects it. I've never once watched anime

youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E

Listening to this for the first time now

Attached: 62e92d01.jpg (600x600, 124K)

im a jazz noob but I just checked this out for the first time and I love it, thanks

Rolling for something with Dave Kikoski. That guy is a monster.

and how is it? I loved Universal Consciousness

none of u can play changes -

go burn ur omnibooks and castrate urselves

Thats it user let your ears get blacked

It's great, different from her earlier work but still very spiritual.

rlol

unironically this
jazz became less and less popular because it got outcompeted by more vocal and accessible rock music
the only jazz that was left was long, instrumental tracks, which was too niche for the genre to be able to thrive on it

I honestly never see The Lounge Lizards discussed much in the conversation of jazz. Even peers of John Lurie like John Zorn get brought up fairly often. I think it's that they lack a large catalog of studio work like other jazz groups but for anyone who hasn't listened to The Lounge Lizards or John Lurie's work in general I highly recommend you take a listen

Attached: voiceofchunk.jpg (409x411, 43K)

It's amazing that jazz people want to disown preformers who sing like Sinatra and Buble, yet if they didn't jazz would stand a chance against the casual crowd and maybe even bring them into more complicated and instrumental jazz

I don't think /jazz/ hate Sinatra. Iirc he came up on a blindfold when that was a thing and people were mostly positive about the track! He's undeniably got a good voice, he just doesn't much represent the sort of jazz that most jazz fans around here like and that's ok.
Can you imagine prog rock fans in 30 years encouraging kids or middle aged Moms to listen to Nickelback because they might go on to like King Crimson?
I can't see it happening because that's a niche subgenre and it knows it's niche. So is Post Bop and that's fine. The sort of listeners you wanna attract are people who are interested in somewhat challenging music already. i'd rather convince a fan of Flylo or Kamasi to try listening to more jazz because there's actually a chance they'd acquire a taste for it. Recommending a Michel Buble fan check out Ella or something is still a nice thing to do because they might get some enjoyment out of it but I wouldn't hold my breath on them coming around to Woody Shaw or something. His music wasn't meant for widespread consumption but it brings a select group of people a lot of enjoyment.

>debut record recorded by Rudy Van Gelder
Don't know this guy but you're probably in the right place!

rowing

roll

The bowed bass solo on The Sirens is the greatest bass solo of the last 50 years. Prove me wrong.

Attached: Sirens.jpg (316x316, 21K)

Is Afrobeat jazz? cause this is some good shit and I want more of it

Attached: R-2996442-1310966621.jpeg.jpg (600x546, 106K)

It is influenced by jazz but calling it jazz would be gauche. It owes at least as much to funk, soul and African pop/folk music.

bump

Attached: 80sECM.png (1700x2200, 1.04M)

lurie has developed into one hell of a painter

bump

Attached: bluenote.png (3622x3622, 2.88M)

roll.

Look up a band called Batsumi

I've been filtered, I want to like jazz but I'm just too fucking plebby. :(

What do you normally listen to user?

I've been listening to a lot of abrasive music like black metal, but I was raised on RnB and Rap. I love the idea of Jazz, but I just grey-over. I'm so tied to hooks; I think my brain is broken.

If there is a baby's first album you can recommend I would appreciate it.

have you listened to any sidney bechet albums? if so any that stand out?

any chance you're keeping a log on rym one can follow?

>If there is a baby's first album you can recommend I would appreciate it.
I mean, you could go listen to Kind of Blue but based on your interests I don't think you'd find it interesting atm.
There's plenty of abrasive ass jazz music out there but nothing springs to mind with a black metal aesthetic. Atheist is obviously amazing if you haven't heard them. They do jazz influenced Death metal and might be something you could check out if you want something jazzy without actually listening to jazz.
Far as actual jazz goes, maybe try out Fire's She Sleeps, She Sleeps. It's free jazz with some rock influences. Pretty simple stuff but you might like it. It's hypnotic but just unsettling enough to keep interesting. Mats has a sax tone that's rough as a bear's arse.

>paavo
so based

Monk

youtu.be/j0t9EV5PG7o

Attached: 1566572841113.png (600x600, 138K)

Dolphy on the title track is in full wtf mode.

Attached: R-3959507-1353761562-8851.jpeg.jpg (280x300, 9K)

Sofia is a fucking monster. If the Pulitzer prize gave out awards to jazz musicians who weren't named Wynton or in their 70s, she'd have one. Someone needs to tell that weird ass woman that she's doing something really special.

This masterpiece

Attached: 65D20877-B428-444D-8149-9F763546EAB4.jpg (1123x1200, 171K)

on the topic, any thoughts on the new Fire! Orchestra album? I thought it was really poor and really can't understand the hype behind it, imo it doesn't hold a candle to their first two albums

I've listened to some of his albums. I don't really like Dixieland, so most of his stuff is slightly bad imo. But I really enjoy one collab with Mezzrow, called Really the Blues - Bechet Mezzrow Quintet Vol. II [1951].
Sure. It's ~MagaCream

Try Kamasi Washington’s The Epic

I didn't know they had one! I'll give it a listen and might post thought itt if it's still up in a few hours.
That's disappointing you didn't like it much tho. The other two are fantastic. Exit! basically got me to take free jazz seriously as a teenager so I tend to give them a lot of leeway for nostalgic reasons.

Also, I would also rec his Jazz Classics Vol. 1 [1950]. Although not a really good album, there are some amazing blues tracks there that you might enjoy. What fucks the album up imo are the traditional dixieland stuff

chet baker is good though, no?

I really like Chet Sings but I'm self aware enough to know me swooning over Chet isn't traditionally a great reason to like a jazz record.
He has better records musically speaking.

Listening to a lot of zoot sims. Dude can swing and then some.

Here's a taste:
youtube.com/watch?v=0193TLJ63Lw

Posted this last thread and the thread before but i cannot get over this performance. Post other good live performances.

youtube.com/watch?v=vAn_gyNcvN4

r0ll

I always really liked this.
youtube.com/watch?v=ZO1uMjz3n3w
Partly for the historical context of Louis coming around to Dizzy enough to bury the hatchet over his disparaging comments about bebop.
Mostly because it's funny and Louis looks like he's having the time of his life.
>Your Parasol is juicy boiiii

These are not baby's first albums, but...

If you like abrasive stuff then you can probably get in through free jazz, or maybe some genre bending stuff.

the other guy that replied is on the right track with Fire! ( the ! is part of the band name), which is led by sax player Mats Gustafsson, who is heavily influenced by punk and he mostly just defiles the saxophone. Fire! is an awesome group, but he also has a group called The Thing with Paal Nilsen-Love (drummer) that is a bit more out there

Maybe also try some of John Zorn's projects, like Painkiller or Naked City (I think that's his). But Painkiller is basically a free jazz/grindcore band and its absolutely filthy.

If that stuff is too out there, then maybe try something like The Comet is Coming, which is pretty much high energy jazz rock from space. Maybe also check out BadBadNotGood, as they are almost sorta jazz, but have ties to hip hop, including a record with Ghostface.
Kamaal Williams (or Yussef Kamaal) might also be up your alley.

If none of that does it, try Plini. They're more metal than anything, but like jazz fusion metal so you might enjoy it, which you could then possibly get into fusion from.

Hope I gave some useful recs

Rolling

Evans

youtu.be/2VopGbXJ0tc

Attached: 1a9488ce0e579e4f81303252ba631958.jpg (500x592, 38K)

bump

Gonna bump once more and hope the thread is around when I finish work. Nice to see a /jazz/ get over 100 replies!

Attached: image.php.jpg (300x300, 20K)

Yeah pretty much everyone in jazz was on SOMETHING. Impressive so many of them have made it so long.

Santana is old as fuck, for example, probably did a million drugs though. Age old story of how he thought his guitar was a snake trying to eat him at woodstock.

spiggity sprollity, let's see how I rollity

Went to a local concert, stuff was amazing, the drummer killed it. Need to explore the scene more, haven't had the chance.

I've been fucking loving this shit the past few days.

My AOTYSF. Will keep posting it till it is everybody else's too!

I'm a total beginner to jazz. Listened to the local jazz radio station off and on over the last few years but only just now started exploring hard bop albums. Coltrane's "Blue Train" blew me away, so far it's my favorite, liked it a bit more than A Love Supreme, Giant Steps and My Favorite Things. Sonny Rollin's Sax Colossus was pretty sweet too.

Anyway, just wanted to bump, and also, any recs for a total noob who really likes likes Blue Train?

Ooh just noticed this chart
Im gona follow the "Perfect" road, thanks

Anyone took a look at Nate Chinen's "129 Essential Albums of the Twenty-First Century (So Far"?

I like touhou jazz.
Posting some of my favs:
youtu.be/E2y2ey2oPAk
youtu.be/T8VmcD211bs
youtu.be/C_CIUUxEuPE
youtu.be/F_tlfWdIGAo
youtu.be/-8At3fqoMDc
youtu.be/B-L5dTAme-s
youtu.be/9JtgGzR0doI

Attached: Cafe_5_jacket.png (800x800, 695K)

Been listening to Nat King Cole recently.

Attached: nat king cole.jpg (220x229, 9K)

John Zorn's Naked City is an odd eclectic jazz / grindcore mix
you could also try some wild free jazz, maybe a percussion-heavy duo like this: youtube.com/watch?v=rB1BEAGuGQI

Anything you could recommend?

I got into him through "The Vocal Classics 1947-1950," but that might be hard to find.

Thanks, I'll look for it.

ah and also this album should be easy to get into for rockists:
youtube.com/watch?v=XiDR87-HRhA
and this is another free jazz duo but with nice noisy guitar: youtube.com/watch?v=ZaYfLsdvyKw

I know right, saw him a few years ago in Pori Jazz, Such a great stage charisma, love him.
in Pori he also finished with chameleon on the Keytar, a wild feeling.

But I think an even better gig was Pharoah Sander quartet this summer. The rythm section came to the stage and started playing the creator has a masterplan and then after a few minutes Pharoah starts walking to the stage (With help from the organizers and a stick). He barely gets to the mic, the crowd is clapping and screaming the whole time he's walking there. But when he blows to his sax, the tone is to die for, amazing playing and it just works with him. He also sang to the mic and made the crowd sing with him, he was jamming and dancing on the stage, a great sense of humour, top3 jazz gigs I've ever seen.
Oh and they finished the first set with Giant Steps. The pianist was wild and Pharoah went crazy on the solo. Love the guy