Was Pink Floyd better with Syd or without him?

Was Pink Floyd better with Syd or without him?

Attached: syd.jpg (300x180, 11K)

much better, lets face it: the guy was a fucking clown

Thought that was Prince for a sec

sid didnt have it in him to make something as good as the final cut

Define "better"; do you mean artistically? I'd say they didn't suffer that much, although with him they definitely would go down a more avant-garde path eventually. Monetarily? Probably better in the long run without him.

Just simple mate, do you prefer early Pink Floyd songs with Syd or later ones without him

Better without imo

He was just a pretty & charismatic face for the band.

Only plebs ITT,Pipers is best Pink Floyd album and its only downhill from there

Yeah I had that opinion too when I first visited Yea Forums and wanted to fit in with the contrarians more.

Depends on whether you prefer whimsical, unhinged, childlike psychedelic rock where everyone is allowed to contribute and improvisation is welcome or polished, mid tempo, metronomic AOR where Mason is forced to play to a click track, Wright isn’t allowed to write, and Waters moans about his dead father and society being bad.

Its obvious that PF was better with Syd. Without him they became a mainstream milquetoast pseudo-prog that wasnt even prog at all, it was just shit

And Roger Waters's singing voice makes me puke

This.

Am i retarded

Yes but only because his death inspired the best album

Syd’s music is pretty good but the whole persona and mysticism around him is annoying. If he was born during a later time he’d just be a gutter punk.

His death inspired none of the albums.

this

This

Patgod > Saucerful > Ummagumma > AHM > Meddle > OBC > DSOTM > WYWH > Animals > Wall > TFC > AMMLOR > TDB > Endless River
I unironically believe that their albums got worse and worse.
PATGOD is a 9
Endless River is a 3

Even Syd was better off without Syd

with

Piper is the best PF album, and I like the Syd songs more than post-Syd songs, but PF had a good run for a little bit without him. Saucerful of Secrets, Atom Heart Mother, and Meddle are all pretty good albums.

Was there really any correlation with what Syd had them doing and what Rog had them doing? You could be forgiven for thinking they're a completely different band.

Objectively better without him. Only hipsters think otherwise (which is most of Yea Forums)

Less pretentious that's for sure.

Much better. This autistic LSD junkie was a better musician than Roger Waters.

This.
Syd Barrett was a better songwriter than Waters and Gilmour.

Wish you were here?

Syd Barrett died in 2006 you fucking plank.

Without. Any other answer or equivocation is dead wrong.

piper is a fucking excellent album, waters shit is good but not quite as good so fun to listen to

>Doesn't know "Wish You Were Here" was written when Syd was very much alive, and PF had stopped making albums by the time Syd died
>Posts anyway

I'm in the without camp. I don't hate the Syd era stuff, I just don't like it. And, I have no fucks to give if some try hard on the internet has a problem with that.

Objectively, Syd was holding them back, because he'd gotten to a point where he couldn't perform, or create. He was mentally ill. It was better for him to retire, and live a quiet life painting and gardening. The band changed, and became something different, who were more successful than the Syd version, and I like their work.
The very things that made Syd special made it impossible for him to function in the band. Be grateful you got as much material out of him that they did.