What do I listen to next

Attached: stevie.jpg (355x355, 24K)

Derek and the Dominos-Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
>The Kills-Keep on Your Mean Side

Roy Buchanan

>What do I listen to next
helicopter crash compilations

seriously tho, RIP in peace you magnificent bastard

Attached: 79233309-8221-4FF2-AC55-89B1A4CBE45A.jpg (602x800, 91K)

this dude is awful

>this dude is the GOAT

fixed

Funny little fact: Steve's Voodoo Child features in Black Hawk Down, the scene in wich they're getting ready to flight in the helicopters

My favorites will always be Lenny and Riviera Paradise.

*from Stevie, not just the album

You’re a dead faggot

Attached: FC08A569-20B5-4AA1-ACF9-165AA54FDB52.jpg (404x599, 28K)

Texas Flood [Epic, 1983]
People who think white guitarists with the blues are the essence of rock and roll never fully account for Alvin Lee, not to mention Robin Trower. I think rock and roll's essence inheres in momentum and song form, and find my attention wandering after the kickoff originals "Love Struck Baby" and "Pride and Joy." B

Couldn't Stand the Weather [Epic, 1984]
The problem with guitar virtuosos is that most of them wouldn't know a good musical concept if they tripped over it, which happens just often enough to keep everyone confused. The exception that proves not a damn thing is Jimi Hendrix, the finest guitarist in any idiom ever. Though he comes close sometimes, this Texan ain't Hendrix. But between earned Jimi cover and lyric refreshment, album two is almost everything a reasonable person might hope from him: a roadhouse album with gargantuan sonic imagination. B+

Soul to Soul [Epic, 1985]
All right, all right--he's a great guitarist, and an intermittently commanding vocalist. Unlike most Hendrixites he can step a sharp shuffle, and unlike most Texas boogiemen he's a great guitarist. But he's still not a great or even commanding artist, because the classic album he has in him, Jimi Boogies, keeps getting ruined by installments of Stevie Ray Shows Off. This moves along right nice, especially on side two--until Vaughan elects to close with a long slow soulful one that only gets going with a Hendrix coda. B+

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

I never understood the appeal of the guy. He's just generic redneck buttblues over 80s rock production.

god, even when the review is "positive", he's still such a pretentious faggot

He plays some of the best blues solos of all time

Well when you use a derogatory term like "redneck buttblues", it kind of shows ignorance on your part.

"[Stevie Ray Vaughn] blew me away because of just how naturally and effortlessly the licks came out of him. Most guitarists I've seen have to take a pause now and then while playing to figure out where to go next, but he could just keep it coming without stopping."

Attached: Eric_Clapton_2.jpg (4272x2848, 1.83M)

If he'd lived a few more years, he probably would have had some really fucked up hands because he played very aggressively with heavy strings. I've heard people say he'd have to dip his hands in a basin of warm water after a show.

Understand SRV in an 80s context--he was big with redneck rock fans in the Midwest and South who didn't go for the LA glam metal faggot stuff.

Why does he keep comparing him to Hendrix, because they're both good guitarists? That's it? They're entirely different genres, guy

He's like most guitar heroes in that live performances showcase his skills far better than the sterile studio recordings, as did Clapton, Hendrix, Robin Trower, and many others.

He was a natural because he was a hick who grew up poor in Texas, not an upper middle class British guy LARPing as a Texas bluesman.

yeah in Texas back then you could get your ass kicked for listening to California shit. not just glam metal, but Dave Mustaine said he got dirty looks and negative reactions from crowds when touring in the South.

Wasn't Tom Petty pretty much God down there in the 80s?

Oh yeah.

Otis Rush
Albert King
Magic Slim
Howlin' Wolf
Stevie's big bro Jimmie Vaughan (solo stuff and Fabulous Thunderbirds' 1st 4 lp's)
Lazy Lester
J.B. Lenoir
Hop Wilson

How are SRV and Hendrix entirely different genres? SRV's most famous song literally is a Hendrix cover.

>How are SRV and Hendrix entirely different genres?
How are they not? The guitars?
>SRV's most famous song literally is a Hendrix cover.
Pride and Joy is a Hendrix cover? Or did you just glance at SRVs catalogue and land on something you were familiar with?

Saw SRV 3 times, extended version of Voodoo Chile was the encore each time.

jeff beck

Unironically, A Decade of Steely Dan. If you just want some white dude ripping insane guitar solos, the Dan has plenty of that with better songwriting. And this best of is just their guitar solos so you don’t have to listen to their actually good songs

Oloff - Doing It Stealthy

I miss him bros

ok. That's no surprise, but it doesnt mean they dont inhabit different, yet overlapping genres. It's a cover and it was successful