Jazz Thread

Time for another one.

Whatcha listenin' to?

Any recent good finds?

Favorite album from this year?

Attached: R-12154964-1529413678-7322.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 162K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dottimerecords.bandcamp.com/album/exultation
youtube.com/watch?v=kXEeyajJvwY&
youtu.be/vULUU53w3fQ
youtube.com/watch?v=N5uWtBlooV4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Whatcha listenin' to?
I wanted to listen to Bill Evans so I put on the album with the most Bill Evans I could think of. Conversations with Myself would be a better album if it was in mono. I would rather not be so aware of how the album was recorded and listening on headphones the mixing for the two pianos sounds different and occasionally you just get complete silence in one ear punctuated by sparse notes and sometimes it sounds disconnected from what's happening in the other recording. Some tracks it is really nice because you get very clear call and responses and having them specially separated is nice but most of the time it is just disconcerting and disjointed.
>Any recent good finds?
Not really. I've mostly been listening to classical when trying new records the past few weeks. I did listen to this one Herb Ellis album that Youtube has been trying to get me to listen to for ages named Windflower. Pretty competently played cool jazz that I can see becoming the next Scenery if the algorithm keeps shilling it.
>Favorite album from this year?
Pic related is great. It's very well paced and the Lyra gives it this old world sound that makes me wanna use it as part of my soundtrack for a Dnd campaign set during the Punic wars I'm working on.

Attached: sokratis-sinopoulos-metamodal_876x800-548x500.jpg (548x500, 57K)

based album op
>Favorite album from this year?
I urge everyone to listen to Brownswood Records' new compilation Sunny Side Up, which mirrors what the We Out Here compilation did for the London scene, but this time for the Melbourne scene
there have been some very good jazz releases this year, but I would highlight this Coltrane worship one: dottimerecords.bandcamp.com/album/exultation

bump

Attached: 51E5Eb500VL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 23K)

CERTAIN BLACKS, CERTAIN BLACKS
love this one, art ensemble of chicago doesn't miss

Attached: certainblacks.png (437x441, 497K)

Attached: Ladies Of Fairvile Prison Jazz Ensemble.jpg (1200x1200, 412K)

This thread is gonna die fast but
What's the easiest/fastest way to learn jazz harmony?

Attached: R-595240-1531499493-8256.jpeg.jpg (600x587, 148K)

Does this count?

Attached: 06CF515F-7C8F-4CE4-A0B6-3CB3D1F8F361.jpg (640x640, 159K)

no

Ok, then this one. I've already posted it before but I think it's great

Attached: 162E687C-7AC3-4868-B462-A07852288D1E.jpg (300x300, 17K)

This fucking Phoenix Wright jazz album is actually surprisingly good
youtube.com/watch?v=kXEeyajJvwY&

I should give that one another pass.

Fuckin Corey Henry is the shit boys

he's dece but a bit of a one-trick pony

his solo in lingus is amazing but once you listen to it a few times you can hear it's pretty rehearsed

Anybody else tired of the London scene thing? It was cool for a little bit like last year but really how many bands doing the "Pharoah Sanders + hip hop beats" do we need?

Attached: 81-815205_question-face-blinking-emoji-emoji-angry-png-transparent.jpg (840x918, 197K)

I swear it's every other headline act here in the UK

Still better than New York where it is all just endless rehash of Wayne Shorter/Herbie Hancock but on steroids or obnoxious and self indulgent free jazz.

nothin compared to the best of the 60s and early 70s but it's the freshest thing in jazz right now i guess

it's not fresh when it seems like there are dozens of "young london talents" who all sound the same being played constantly

fusion chads coming through

youtu.be/vULUU53w3fQ

Attached: 136181-2.jpg (600x603, 42K)

Anyone super into Marian Mcpartland's Piano Jazz?
youtube.com/watch?v=N5uWtBlooV4

I’ll take the rehash of Shorter and Hancock any day. That post bop style has unlimited potential for reinvention imo.

fresh =/= good (see: the FRESH steaming coil of shit I left in my toilet bowl this morning)

That sound is all just a fad that probably hit the height of its popularity last summer/fall and is already on its way out.

>Dnd campaign set during the Punic wars
lol why
why not SoS or something hacked from glorantha or burning wheel?

he swing

Attached: Swinging the BIM.jpg (480x480, 18K)

This looks cool

I listened to bohren & der club of gore, is there anything else which is similar?

didn't say it was good but it's the biggest movement in jazz right now. it's possible something great can come out the scene.