Now that the dust has settled, is it good?

now that the dust has settled, is it good?

Attached: fi.jpg (752x440, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!0xQWgA7Z!LyNf8bfzhOJz0cpfYBMfTg
mega.nz/#F!G1VRmADA!nI0eiRYJcVVn4-gNBHOrAg
youtube.com/watch?v=1z5Zjv9mYiw
m.imgur.com/gallery/VBEdl16
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

THE MORE I LOOK AT IT
THE MORE I LIKE IT
I DO THINK ITS GOOD

Attached: 0F82C463-33E2-4166-AE01-9BF8AEE4B6F7.jpg (275x183, 6K)

Yes, it's good.
Chocolate Chip Trip is the best one.

it literally just leaked how has the dust settled?

It leaked at least 9 hrs ago

nah i dont think so. And im a musician

agreed. if it were a new band, i would pay no further mind to this album but invariably it will be discussed until 2050

Terrible album cover as always

Not gonna listen until it comes out. It's probably not even a good sounding version.

Yes, it's good.

Danny again is the highlight of the album. Adam steps up too, especially on 7empest.

As of now, this is the AOTY.

I've never listened to tool before but for some reason i downloaded the leak and listened to it. Its ok, can a tool fan tell me what they like so much about this album and tool as a whole?

KWAB

I NEED A GOOD LINK FAGGOT

waiting for release, but i might download the leak if the quality is good. Is the quality good?

mega.nz/#F!0xQWgA7Z!LyNf8bfzhOJz0cpfYBMfTg

Would it be a Tool record if the cover wasn't stupid as fuck?

Im playing it on shitty speakers but it sounds great song wise invincible and title track are ok but the rest are good and great. So its better then 10 000 days

the lyrics are embarassingly bad. I swear to god I heard him say "calm as cookies and cream" at one point lmao

this

maynard is the weakest link, jesus christ, like, he really hate tool

Thank you Christ

BRUH IT'S DULL AND UNINSPIRING PROGRESSIVE METAL BUT IT HAS CHEAP PSYCHEDELIC IMAGES AS A COVER

DUUUUDE THIS ALBUM IS LIT

I listen to Tool full album first time. And its pretty good to be honest. I want to listen to their whole discography but im too lazy cause Tool as a band, you need to listen it, not just play it while playing some game.

>you need to listen it, not just play it while playing some game.

fucking zoomers

music good, maynards contribution is bollocks

7/10

I'm not going to spoil it for myself. I have high hopes for the studio versions of descending and invincible because I saw them play those earlier this year and they were solid

This is incredibly early but:

Descending > 7empest > Invincible > Pneuma > Culling Voices > Fear Inoculum > CCtrip

I wish he contributed more.

They sound much-much better on the album

>tool finally put their shit on spotify
Only took fucking years

based belew-poster

i like descending and 7empest, but other than that its a bit underwhelming. Culling voices was almost good.

I'm 3 songs in right now. I'm loving it so far. High fidelity, odd time, very spicy. This kills the zoomer.

Attached: tool.jpg (1200x800, 365K)

Zoomer here, I've listened to every tool song, you aren't special.

ever heard of tone or voice in communication?

Yes, it's the AOTY by far.

am I the only one who loves Pneuma?

i found it so tedious, first minute had me excited, then they come in with the most boring verse they've ever done imo and it never really gets better

Nope that track is great

It's solid but could've been shorter

sounds like The Patient

can i force myself to like Tool?

I love it too. It's great.

Belongs on a puscifer album. It's the weakest track imo.

Tool was never good

thought it was by far the worst one. even worse than the title track which was already my least tool song. i'm glad it picked up after that.

It feels like the album between 10.000 Days and their next one.

And I want to hear more of the "new" elements and less of the "old" if that makes sense.

I figure most people are gonna agree on the top three

listen to battles.

Attached: Hellyes.png (48x29, 430)

Yep

first half was decent. the second half though... that was EPIC

why is there an autist spamming battles in every tool thread
stenier is that you? every album since tyondai left has been more and more shit, and la di da di was irredeemable

fpbp

the last track is the only one which stands up with the best of their work. maynard's voice is gone. the rest of the album is tool by numbers and very boring

tool is good for maynard's conceptual butthurt lyrics that always have a funny/gross metaphor with them along with really intense long sludgy evolving rythmic passages. listen to the tracks aenema, hooker with a penis, vicarious or the pot to get a good idea

Why is Tempest rated so high. It's probably the weakest song after pneuma.

thank you for informing us

they need a new signer.

muh flesh imprisoning me
this body
drumpf's lies
poisoning me
we are all one
buy my wine

Attached: screen-shot-2016-06-22-at-12-31-27-pm[1].png (642x423, 289K)

lmao.

Singing is fine.
Who the fuck listens to tool for the lyrics anyway.

Dust settling accelerates every hour on the internet. 9 hours is the equivalent of 30 standard 24 hour periods stacked from the 1970s.

Kek

The actual lyrics are just as hilarious:

Child, wake up
Child, release the light
Wake up now, child
Child, wake up
Child, release the light
Wake up now, child
(Spirit, Spirit, Spirit, Spirit)
Bound to this flesh, this guise, this mask, this dream

he's like 50 years old wtf is he doing

was surprised at how good it is, considering i dont like the first track at all. laughed out loud at one point because of how good danny sounds peeling off those fills

What the hell? Lyrics have always been a strong point in Tool. It's part of the art.

probably 90% of their fans. theyre all maynard fags

a tempest
will fuck drumpf
cookies and cream
this reality

Attached: groupy.jpg (480x321, 23K)

Why are the fucking kicks so loud

Sure but they were never a necessity since the instrumentals are so good, especially Danny's drumming. He is the band. Even tool songs with shit lyrics still sound good.

warrior struggling to remain relevant
your age of masculinity and violence is over
embrace the transition
one body
we are infinite
infinite genders

Attached: d89bac1d573587fbe875a2542f7f1bd7[1].jpg (495x672, 51K)

yes

he doesnt care anymore, no matter what he does hes making profit

Invincible is the worst thing I've heard this year

Gira’s lyrics are more cringy

7tempes7t is almost like fucking undertow era. wasn't expecting that at all.

ok

that sudden burstof undertow nostalgia when the vocals kick in was my favourite moment on first listen. Just gave me a big smile when i wasnt smiling for most of the album

Fucking this. It was bad.

>over 1 hour of chugga chugga buttrock

lol why would anyone like this

Nobody would bat an eye if these were Swans lyrics

Based on what I've read, he's signing just fine.

Attached: 1566260115403.png (754x624, 303K)

Look, i'm ogt, From '92, The first ep. and i havent listened to the new album yet but i'm sure its trash. fuck maynard and his wine

because with Gira it would be a throwaway thing and then he'd move on to something else, with Maynard that shit is literally all he has

The electronic parts sound absolutely dreadful.

The question in my mind is "did Danny and Justin really lose their ability to keep time or did they just lose their ability to keep time together?"

you really done it now, drumpf
shame on you, drumpf
we're calm as cookies and cream, drumpf
your petulant stench is choking us, drumpf

Thought the whole album flowed perfect. Like a pink floyd album. It's just much better together than any individual song.

It's better than 10,000 Days.

some of the album is them intentionally playing in different time signatures. King Crimson used to do it too so that makes it a good idea :^)

Wait, are those real lyrics from the album?

yeah
pic related

Attached: 800s1jW.png (804x732, 217K)

>we're calm as cookies and cream

I wonder how many drafts it took maynard to come up with this

Child, wake up
Child, release the ass
Wake up now, child
Child, release the ass
Wake up nopw, child
(Sex, Sex, Sex, Sex)
Bound to this flesh, this guise, this ass, this dream

Jesus Christ, Maynard

Attached: download (3).jpg (274x184, 7K)

not hard to top that steaming pile of shit

Jesus Christ

Undertow = ow the edge
Aenima = dude Bill Hicks lmao
Lateralus = dude acid lmao
10k = we live in a society
Fear Inoculum = ???

Also can someone give a quick gestalt of the "immersive" packaging? Is it just a little screen that plays a gif of the artwork? Cool but seems like a waste for fifty bucks

>Fear Inoculum = #Resist

this drumpf
imprisoning me
rising up
my
dialectical immaterial
resistance

cattle vote for drumpf
cattle vote for drumpf
cattle vote for drumpf

when all is said and done drumpf
youre just another
petulant stench
why couldn't they give Her a shot
wash it all away
wash it all away

Attached: mjk.jpg (1267x1390, 216K)

>Fear Inoculum = Dude life is fleeting lol

is a good album. would love to see chocolate chip trip live

First listen. I dunno...it's not heavy enough for me. Sounds like a lazy band that mailed it in to make some money so Maynard can be a corksniffer.

Are the ambient segues necessary or just filler?

did the digital version leak?

Attached: 36286eda87839309b6e94067ac42b7ce.png (467x692, 54K)

>boo hoo these other sluts got to suck maynard's dick but not me? this isn't fair!

"Groupies" are such a boomer concept, why ask for STDs and a rape accusation from the kind of greasy chick who lusts after 50 year old prog musicians (???) when there are apps dedicated solely to fucking whores in your area?

Reminder that what you all have done is wrong and the exact reason you wont be getting another Tool album. Hope youre ashamed of yourselves.

pretty much my opinion after a couple listens as well

Lusting after Maynard is gross though, it's not like Lemmy or [insert glam band] where there's no pretension about what's going on.

It's pretty good. It's as good as spotify quality.

pretty much AOTY.

Maynard likes getting pegged in the ass by women. common knowledge to tool fans

Alright then, picture this if you will:
10 to 2 AM, X, Yogi DMT, and a box of Krispy Kremes, in my "need to know" pose, just outside of Area 51.
Contemplating the whole "chosen people" thing with just a flaming stealth banana split the sky like one would hope but never really expect to see in a place like this.
Cutting right angle donuts on a dime and stopping right at my Birkenstocks, and me yelping...
Holy fucking shit!
Then the X-Files being, looking like some kind of blue-green Jackie Chan with Isabella Rossellini lips and breath that reeked of vanilla Chig Champa,
Did a slow-mo Matrix descent out of the butt end of the banana vessel and hovered above my bug-eyes, my gaping jaw, and my sweaty L. Ron Hubbard upper lip and all I could think was: "I hope Uncle Martin here doesn't notice that I pissed my fuckin' pants."

Aenima is the only good Tool album.

Why do people hate 10,000 Days so much? Genuinely wondering. Lateralus is clearly better imo but I still really like it.

Meh, the hollywood blinds say he's into anal, but I haven't heard that one. It's important to remember most of these claims are just unverified snippets of tour reports.

Because no one cares about Maynard bitch of a mother. Hope that mecha bitch is rotting in hell.

kekekek

Attached: image0-42.jpg (512x368, 39K)

sounds too much like Lateralus leftovers. The Pot is pretty good though, and Vicarious slaps.

i like 10,000 better than that self indulgent piece of shit lateralus

up until then their albums were all good and distinctive. 10,000 Days was like their Load/Reload, and like Metallica they're now stuck in self-parody mode.

I loved Tool but can wait. I'm curious where you would rank it in their discography?
(Aenima is their best btw, followed closely by Lateralus)

I like it, but it's about the only album where I skip several songs when going through it again. Usually I can listen beginning to end to Tool albums no problem.

sorry if you can't tell the difference between tight musical structure and meandering, because Lateralus vs 10,000 days is a case study (except for the Pot, which is honestly great).

Danny has been playing it(ish)

Any of their live shows this last tour find CCTrip in the track list, YT has a bunch. Wild for anyone, let alone a dude pushing 60.

>posts link
>not ITAOTS

Does this person actually listen to tool? It's not like the music didn't suggest this behaviour.
Fucking womyn.

Attached: 1505743418036.png (499x338, 38K)

Lateralus, 10,000 Days, and Fear Inoculum are all amazing.

Attached: 1409517677145.png (496x525, 232K)

It's their best album.

its their 3rd best if you ask me

Lateralus>Ænima>FI>10 000 Days>Undertow

It's been dangerous since the AIDS epidemic 2bh.

I bet he loves the trans movement then.

7empest, Descending and Invincible are the best songs to me.
Chocolate Chip Trip and Culling Voices are the worst to me.

I've got some bad vibes for you, little buddy.

Tool had a large younger audience back in the day. It's likely that girl was really just a kid at the time and it's likely that's why she was turned away.

>fuck maynard
I would fuck qt.
No homo.

>Chocolate Chip Trip and Culling Voices
Both amazing. Eat dick.

Aenima=Lateralus>Undertow>FI>10,000 Days

Lmao, Culling Voices it's one of the worst shit I've ever heard.

you have no style
you have no taste
this poster sure ain't based

heh, remember how the lyrics of Hooker With a Penis told a coherent story that made sense, and you could understand what point was being made? good times.

EAT

SHIT

To me tool are the sorts of people that browse Yea Forums and store their cum in bottles.
Why would anyone consider them moral people in any way? I wouldn't listen to them and many artists if they were safe sheep like that chick thinks they are.

Attached: the fuck.gif (236x224, 1.86M)

>Tool fans want you to believe you're dumb as shit for not "getting" the music
>CCTrip is one of the most shat on songs on the album so far

Attached: 1555698031314.jpg (652x610, 59K)

any musician who ever faced writer's block while jamming to a monotonous progression on a rehearsal will instantly know that this whole album sounds exactly like this depressing chugging process lol it's so fucking obvious I actually feel really fucking sorry for them for losing their steam

Attached: 1565993768543.jpg (835x835, 85K)

THE

WORST

SHIT

I'VE

EVER

HEARD

Back in the day, it was more like "I'm going to find my true purpose listening to edgy rock music about shedding skin [or whatever.]"
Overall, their exoteric message is pretty positive. It was something a kid might listen to if he was really into sports.

Attached: kids.png (449x108, 9K)

Anyone also got a "this is it, no more albums, no more songs, leave us alone" vibe from this?

Attached: lea.jpg (720x405, 78K)

this, it's really unfortunate. I can also hear a lot of recycled from earlier albums. I wonder what the fuck Adam has been doing for 13 years, maybe they all have kids.

EAT

CUM

>Justin: "sorry I can't even be bothered to look like I'm in a band at this point"

isn't maynard bald?

EAT

ASS

Its really good but its so different how it hits. A lot of the aggression is gone, probably with age and chilling the hell out/less frustrations to express. Itll take more time to rank.

why are these files so big? i had to open them in vlc cause itunes won't even load them

This album is boring as shit.

I would be fine with that. 13 years of waiting provided plenty of opportunity for them to completely shit the bed and just release trash, but I don't feel like this is bad. It's not their best obviously, they're old men now, but it still has some solid tracks. Might as well end the band on a semi high note.

Danny's dick.

I think Justin is the only one that doesnt have yungins

Get gud.

whats the point of CCT?

Pleb-Filter.

I don't get why people shit themselves for that soft rock dronefest desu

Or... people just like groove/sludge/prog metal with tantric progressions.

Attached: 1516716981410.jpg (600x600, 35K)

A song for Danny to remind people he's still got it over the least sounding Tool beat ever.

Muh drum solo

this would be life-changing if I were 15
and/or had some magic mushrooms

>He doesn't like CCT

Attached: !l.gif (360x270, 2.64M)

How the fuck does this even happen?
Just allocate time for random jams and just try to come up with whatever.
If you sit on shit too much you lose your creative brain. You need to loosely jam sometimes, rather than write shit all the time.

That said, I don't think this album is bad at all.

literally telling people to fuck off.
I bet the rest of the segues will be a total shitshow.

>if you dont like trump you like hillary
why are americans this retarded

smells pretty good tier:
7empest
invincible
descending

fart in your hand and smell it tier:
fear inoculum
pneumena
culling voices

*braaaaap* tier:
cctrip
"the deceiver says he says you belong to me"
"tears in my eyes"

hilarious reading people on here complain about maynard's lyrics because most of the songs are about the kind of degenerates who ruined /pol/ and spilled over here after the 2016 election

and let me tell you: he hit the nail on the head, you fucktards

I used to hate the title-track but now I like it very much.

Attached: 13-1-500x500.jpg (500x500, 28K)

>groove/sludge/prog
I like two of those, Tool sucks tho

drawn out garbage desu. drum writing is good, cause it's danny what else do you expect? But overall it was a chore to sit through. Nothing sprung out at me , all tracks seemed to me quite weak and meandering on for often over 10 minutes.

those people aren't worth writing a song about, though. Vicarious had a mea culpa, but /pol/tards can't be used as a platform for self-criticism in the same way. He did protest song better on Perfect Circle albums 2&3.

Is this Tool's Saint Anger?

Child, wake up
Child, release the light
Wake up now, child
Child, wake up
Child, release the light
Wake up now, child
(Spirit, Spirit, Spirit, Spirit)
Bound to this flesh, this guise, this mask, this dream

Wake up remember
We are born of one breath, one word
We are all one spark, sun becoming

yeah absolutely *dabbing* on the poltards with this incredible life changing lyricism im not listening im EXPERIENCING

Nah, they're just a bit hit and miss more recently.. bit too soft and tantric.
I prefer their chugging early sludge sound, but I also liked when they went from that to pushing into "prog".

Invincible is a ripper

rent free

I thought they were normally about Maynard and being fucked in the ass.
So I guess that makes sense.

Attached: 1563253691098.png (334x229, 67K)

Did APC ever put out songs complaining about their fans like Tool and Puscifer did?

repost pls

On the penultimate track? that's fucking dumb

THE FOLDER WAS TAKEN DOWN AS IM DOWNLOADING IT!!!

Attached: Screenshot_20190825-152150_Chrome.jpg (1080x2220, 199K)

I don't think so. the APC protest songs I alluded too were responses to Iraq.

fucking maynard
why cant you be old maynard

Drums are very good.
Honestly, they need to sludge things up more.
The problem they've had since the 90's evident in their sound is that they're playing huge arenas and not those festivals like they were in the 90's as much.
You need more "air" in the guitars and the song structure to accommodate the environment they play in I guess more.
Sludge is a bit less suited to that environment.

They should also experiment with "fucked up" equipment like valve amps that sound broken when you play on them.

No, that was 10000days
This is their Death Magnetic

>he's like 50 years old wtf is he doing
Sounds like lyrics a 50 yr old would make to new listeners 2bh. Nothing wrong there.

sucks to suck

good, you impatient nigger

>Stick your knife in me
>Walk away

Nah.
In fact, tool are very similar to Swans ethos wise I think. Tool are more metal though, whereas Swans is more punk/indie.

Tool aren't comparable to Metallica though. They're more comparable to Swans.

All these songs didn't need to be 10 minutes long

>Swans
>punk
>indie

Attached: tenor.gif (640x510, 3.26M)

Despite Maynard's involvement, I don't think Tool is philosophically aligned with APC so much as they are with, just for instance, Swans or similar.

>swans not inde
>not having punk/hardcore/nowave influence
Go read about music

i'm almost getting the feeling it was done solely for the purpose of earning more money from youtube streaming. Some are literally a few seconds over 10 minutes

>similar in ethos
only insofar as tool owes most of their aesthetic to swans, especially their early stuff

>youtube streaming
youtube music doesn't work that way user

Tool and Swans.

yeah but they very quickly alienated the rest of the no-wave scene once they found their slow-dirge sound. in the earliest days only like 14 people would show up to swans shows, and not all of them would stick around because it was so harsh and uncompromising

I NEED A LINK GODDAMNIT

Attached: 1.png (290x296, 119K)

>what is no wave

Attached: 1548232734826.png (245x212, 58K)

So Swans+Korn=Tool

Based

To be fair, swans is still the frontier of whatever the fuck they were making in the early 80's that still hasn't got a genre name nor been fully utilised by indie/punk/metal/hip hop/electronic artists.
It was fucking onto something massive and nobody has worked out the kinks.

Wowzer senpai did you know the new Korn album is actually pretty good desu! Nu-metal is KooL again!

true, they get paid for the streams, but doesn't matter if it's over 10 minutes or not.

>nowave
>punk

Attached: 8d6.jpg (645x729, 81K)

oh absolutely, i just mean, the other guy may have reacted the way he did to the 'punk' label for this reason, their sound isn't so easily defined, even to this day

Swans + Melvins +Soundgarden = Tool
Korn developed from Tool most likely. I know many of those bands listened to Tool.

Korn and Tool were originally heading in an interesting direction. Korn never continued theirs and Tool went Tantric prog instead of heavier metal.
Doom/Sludge metal today seems a bit influenced by that direction... without stepping too much into the later things that direction became.

Sometimes you gotta look back to go forwards.

we need a new link to the leak asap

technically speaking, while gira was in the no wave scene by way of glenn branca and living with thurston, by the time filth came out, no wave was basically over. their sound was a product of no wave, something new born from its influence rather than an active part of the 'scene'

i'd honestly add nine inch nails to this equation, if not for them, you basically wouldn't have the 90s goth boom that led to bands like tool and even korn

none of them sound like actual songs except for the start of 7empest, they're just long meandering chugga chugga bullshit with no interesting features

More punk than punk, because it stopped caring about punks lack of care of things and took itself far more seriously and artistically without a care of "pretentious image".
Swans seem almost post no wave, but it's not accurate to call it no wave or post no wave at all, the sound was so radically different. It made even metal look like banal crap.
Tool and Korn also sort of stepped that direction.
So did Nirvana.
And dare I say it Death Grips at least on ethos.

i would agree with death grips. i think the problem with lumping tool and korn in this is that these bands used the image in a slightly more superficial way (especially korn), thus why tool moved past their early edgy aesthetic into something more influenced by psychedelia and 80s crimson.

thank god i'm not the only one who thinks swans makes metal seem trite

> stopped caring about the caring about not caring of things and began actually caring about the caring

wat

punk's whole notion of 'not giving a shit' is what ultimately held it back and made it go stale. ironically, 'not caring' became the cookie-cutter identity of the punk ethos. swans, on the other hand, were always deeply invested in their aesthetic and making art for art's sake, instead of appealing to the scene's contradictory rules and false image of toughness

I agree.

Yeah, and to add in reply to I thought there was something very industrial about early Swans.
There are a whole bunch of artists with completely different "genres" that took something that half resembled it too.
Many hip hop artists and EDM artists (particular early trap artists) too.
It's difficult to scope though, you just gotta look more the direction they took and just sail in that direction.
Something pushing the fringe of dark, sinister and horrifying, while still very punk. Raw anger at anyone sort of thing, but not afraid of being a bit arty as well. Also has some gothness.

You can see that no wave influence there. No wave somewhat did that, but Swans just took it to the next level and then further into something else that was completely unleashed and didn't hold back. It also wasn't merely provocative for provocation sake, it was releasing frustration almost.

'false image of toughness' was the wrong way to put it. i guess i just mean, punk has a way of degenerating to a 'no-true-scotsman' mentality

I also chuckled when I wrote that.
That is what it is though. It's difficult to explain.

Swans doesn't care about toughness. If it is "tough" then it is, if it isn't then it isn't.
The point is that it could be either.

>it also wasn't merely provocative for provocation sake
exactly this. i always see the difference as, michael gira genuinely roughed it for years, and despite how grating and 'brutal' they get, it was never a forced image like a lot of bands try to put out, rather just him playing his truth/putting his reality into his work

yeah. i just meant like, there's the whole 'REAL punks don't do ____' mentality that gira always found disingenuous and contrary to the point, so he never gave a shit whether people approached his music in that mindset or not.

>people having a conversation about soundgarden and nine inch nails being crucial to tool's sound

for fuck's sake go listen to Belew-era King Crimson, they got most of their shticks from there

Michaela Gira and Maynard are alike in that they both raped women

Attached: CNrv75TUsAID9BA.jpg (600x450, 32K)

Chocochip trip is really good, lads

cute feet

NIN was more crucial to the aesthetic than the sound. tool, like nin, was one of the earlier successful forays of the industrial mindset into the general public eye, even though tool was never an 'industrial band,' they had all the hallmarks of the goth/industrial scene with opiate and undertow

I agree. They pushed something arguably "pop music" into some weird experimental niche while at the same time criticising and embracing niches both at the same time.

It's always rape in retrospect too.
Funny that.

underrated

I really like it. There’s a few questionable production choices in some parts, but it sounds different for them and that’s what I was hoping for. It will reveal itself more in time, their albums always did that.

BOOMER BAND
STRUGGLING
TO REMAIN
RELEVANT

Attached: GettyImages-835400816-1518882830-640x415.jpg (640x415, 68K)

they are the most relevant band in the world right now prove me fucking wrong

You know the fag who accused him created the twitter account with the same gmail address he used on his online dating profile, right? He replied to his original thread a week later with another accusation on another account that was registered an hour after the first one too.

On genres in general:
"Industrial" as a genre is just another tool to help us find particular sounds. You can be critical of niches, but at the end of the day niches helped create amazing new sounds.
One of the problems with the internet is how it's inundated us with pseudo genres that nobody agrees on and so it's hard to discover interesting directions of sound.
It's probably the only true positive point you can make about the music industry vs the free internet. The free internet just doesn't "focus" on a direction well.
That's where money and the industry excels at.

Interesting thought there. I'm normally very critical of the industry and major labels, but I have to admit that genres were incredibly helpful tools for discovering sound.
Genres help you map what people have covered with sound. You use those maps to discover new places... or dead ends.
Genres also mutate. Notice how suddenly we're comparing very different genres of music to tool in this thread? That's not as absurd as you think, you tend to discover new paths between sounds that lead you to your next destination.

Attached: 1565929194825.jpg (240x266, 8K)

you know that's not true. why did you post it?

Equally relevant and disappointing.
Needs a new generation of kids with a newer warped perspective based on the path they laid.
Then that might inspire something new in them that kids won't discover (mainly because some of the older sounds are not listened to or heard by the new gen).
This is how music "sounds" develop.

I would have thought many loonies accuse celebs of crap all the time because they're loonies or because they need money.
Celebs are instantly in a spotlight that puts them at risk of this shit. Many new celebs change quickly and break down, probably because they suddenly realise this about the nature of being a star. There is a lot of risk with the spotlight.
See that Mac Demarco song "nobody".

industrial isn't just a genre of music though, it was an entire scene that extended to visual art and lifestyle choices in the mid-70s in england, specifically built around the notion of free will. condensing it to merely a 'tool to find particular sounds' is missing the point entirely

I thought all their albums had the same shitty cover

really it was the scene that was built around Industrial Records and everything that throbbing gristle was getting up to at the height of their career

>industrial isn't just a genre of music though
I know, it's memetically further than that. It's an ethos in some ways too. It's also an aesthetic.

Aesthetics, ethos and new sounds are not as mutually exclusive as people would normally think. These things feedback off of each other to develop upon each other.
Industrial is almost pseudo culture or culture-esque.

Yeah, but then the meme mutates, user. It develops into a child that grows and develops it's own children.
We arbitrarily define these things to discover new ideas and experiences.

i would say it was a culture of its own. at least for a little while, before it became inundated with people trying to imitate rather than innovate, which just seems to happen with all exploratory waves of art.

oh i definitely agree. throwing things into neat, clear-cut 'genre' tags has always bothered me for this reason. while on one level it's like categorizing things in a similar vein to classifying animals, it's also conducive to false associations where two bands can be considered, say, 'punk' and sound completely different/operate on an entirely different wavelength as far as goals or aesthetic choices

mega.nz/#F!G1VRmADA!nI0eiRYJcVVn4-gNBHOrAg

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg (1422x800, 94K)

name one band

King Gizzard is kino.

No

You need to imitate a bit, it's part of the process.
The problem was when imitation happened purely for popularity or money and not because you wanted to stimulate some scene or some new direction of sound.

People throw around copies of other peoples memes and over time they might alter it until it triggers a new meme.
It unfortunately can lead to cancer too.
Sometimes you follow footprints thinking they'll lead to a new destination only to walk round and round in circles to nowhere.

CFF42331FC97B79092AD2460D124E62686595D48

torrent hash, save you visiting some dodgy webpage

This

not as relevant as tool

I've only listened to Lateralus like twice because I'm not a homosexual tool fan and it's at least as good as that

it's an EP disguised as a LP

Those "false associations" can mix sounds though. You can stew a scene from random sounds and after a while it'll begin to sound like a cohesive thing. The bands will throw each others sounds into the pile called that "sound" until it actually does become a sound.

See "Grunge". That started off as a load of baloney and then turned into something very unique and identifiable by the early 90's.
Hell, grunge was probably just a word Australians used to describe the "punk" or "garage" sound in the early 80's as it is tongue in cheek slang for "noise" there (see bands like The Birthday Party, Grong Grong, The Scientists, Australian pub rock bands too).
For some reason Seattle listened to those bands on college radio and heard that term "grunge" somehow. Then the press used that word to describe bands in Seattle in the late 80's for all the random bands in Seattle (that sounded nothing like each other).
Slowly that turned into what we all know as Grunge though and it started to definitely creep into new pop rock or punk/metal territory, as metal bands played with punk bands and indie bands.
Then they started to play regularly on festivals together, that further mutated that genre and sound. Eventually it was nothing like Australian "grunge" (although Lubricated Goat may have started to head more towards Seattle's sound by 1989/90).

Industrial is an even broader thing than that.
In fact, I remember it being used by school teachers to describe experimental avant-garde music with literal industrial equipment. That's how weird that meme is.

Bands in that scene in melb/aus are incredibly relevant to Australians because that is the scene there. Developed partially from the scene that included Tame Impala.

Have a look in the archive there was a magnet link to a .flac download that sounds like it's a 192kbps mp3 rip. Still pretty good quality outside of the highs breaking up a bit.

Descending >= Invincible = 7empest >= Pneuma > Fear Inoculum > your average tool stuff > Culling Voices
Obviously not including CCTrip, because it's a segue and segues never were the interesting parts of Tool anyway.
BUT, it has the merit of being one of the better segues, among Die Eier Von Satan and Intermission.

Attached: 1560176694548.png (960x960, 617K)

On track 2 right now, really enjoying it

okay? still not as relevant as tool...

great album, some of their best work.

i also think pneuma is the best track, followed closely by descending.

livestreamed on yittube
youtube.com/watch?v=1z5Zjv9mYiw

Attached: 331264664.gif (480x272, 694K)

Literally any other band toolfag

how do i utilize this?

Easily their best album. 10000 Days is second best. It's fully fleshed out, mature, and his singing isn't dogshit with no melody like their early stuff. People hating it are pretentious shills and newfags

Relevant to what?

>CCT
fucking fag its one of the best songs on the album. only because its doesnt have maynards faggy voice on it

Attached: 245235.png (757x316, 25K)

nigga u dumb as hell lmao

You people are trolling right? I don't get it.

"Invincible" has a really good end part.
Makes you go "here's the Tool I like"... then stops.
Has to be the most annoying Tool album I've heard because it hints at something amazing.. but stumbles before they go all in with that good idea.

And you read the interviews they did, that's exactly how they felt while recording it too.
Amazing how much of that recording sessions' difficulties is captured in the music.
I'm guessing they struggled to put a cohesive track down and had all these random ideas. Then that dragged on and on in sessions so they kept modifying shit in the studio. Eventually it dragged on for a decade or so and so they decided "fuck this, let's just gamble and go with this unfinished shit we did for an album and then start fresh afterwards".

Happens all the time with artists. I think Aphex Twin may have had this issue 2bh. Most of his dumped music seemed to be really old crap.

This is why you write 3 minute songs for some ideas, instead of epic 10 min tracks.
Just get the idea out in a gust of vigour, don't fuck around or it will eat itself over time.

nerds hit on sluts who make their way backstage at their show, news at 11

dilate

Attached: 1524541877334.png (743x914, 62K)

What band were they listening to?
The more I read shit like this, the more I appreciate Maynard.

Attached: 4bfe45db50ec588fe7b6691c06dd269b0aff13d99729a8e872350e49bd5efdec.jpg (261x212, 13K)

Well that isnt even hard to achieve in 2019, WANK was the only contender anyways

I understand what you mean user. It's true that none of the song's peaks are as wonderful as the one in 46&2, nor to they manage to "progres" as well.
For me, Disposition - Reflection - Triad is what I consider to be the most interesting part of Tool. So them pulling a full album that has a vibe similar to this is what makes me moist.

I honestly like parts of this album than their previous two albums. It's like they're trying to ignite whatever made Aenima and Undertow. It feels like they're progressing somewhere for the first time since the 90's.

Internet influence?
Surely not for people aged 50 right?

The studio versions will blow your mind if you already liked the live ones

>11:11 on 7empest

Attached: 1507229854587.jpg (236x226, 4K)

good to hear. And they were really really good live. One of the best Tool shows I've seen by far.

Thats it, descending and invincible are the best 2 songs with 7empest and culling voices being great too. So they pretty much played the best songs live 3 months ahead of the album lol
Descending just sounds so fucking good, the vocals are amazing

It sounds like a "best of" in some way. Which is fine, because they haven't released anything for ages. So being experimental after 13 years is just a huge risk. Like 7empest is full blown undertow.
I kind of like it, because you still should find at least one track you like, no matter which era of Tool was your favourite.

I love their loud tantric stuff.
They turn down too many parts of their tracks though. The rough loud distorted parts resonates more to me simple because of the dynamic and the quality of that distorted sound.

To be fair it's their best cover yet.

It's still annoying because I there are parts I dig in most of the tracks, and as a consequence I haven't listened to the lyrics much due to skipping to best parts.
Maynards melodies are ok, but in Tool's earlier albums he almost sounds bored and jaded which doesn't come across in this album as much (because he's now middle aged, successful, etc). I liked his lower register almost atonal whining howls in "Sober" for example. There was a grit of restraint, but it was almost sarcastic until the chorus unleashes full voice vocals.

Tool probably hate that, but that's just how my ear works.

Too long but the main riff and vocals are good

Yes, shut up and buy

Im sure he wrote the lyrics to please the dmt fueled lateralusfags. Reddit loves that song

Rosetta stoned was made to proof this

This. And Rosetta Stoned is one of their best.

No

7empest=Invisible>Fear Inocolum>Descending>Pneuma>CCTrip=Culling Voices

Attached: 1566771259749.jpg (705x435, 32K)

Shits tough bruh. Even the people who crank out one or more top tier rock records in their lifetime eventually run dry. We’re all human and life is more than writing sick riffs

Decent ranking

Fucking aye, can’t believe more people aren’t saying this. Clear winner on the disc.

Rosetta Stoned might have the best lyrics of any tool song

Only pneuma seems too long to me, also its quite obvious they stretched culling voices up to the 10min mark

Attached: invincible.jpg (974x537, 50K)

They should’ve cut the last 6 minutes or so off of invincible and made that the first single

idk mayne, last 4 songs definitely beat the first 4 songs for me

I'm still digesting, you could be right my dude

Which one did you like better?

based

Descending>Fear Inoculum>Culling Voices>Invincible>7empest>Chocolate Chip Trip>Pneuma

Attached: toolrip.png (603x454, 26K)

i'm starting to doubt that people on this board actually possess ear canals

I've never understood the Swans & Tool comparison. Swans is all about repetition, huge chunk of sounds and slow buildups while Tool is all about proggy alternative metal soundscapes, unusual timesignatures and occultism. I'm keep seeing Swans mentioned as an influence one them but Children of God sounds nothing like Aenima, The Great Annihilator sounds nothing like Lateralus and Fear Inoculum sounds nothing like The Seer.
So can someone elaborate?

>FI over anything
lmao

They both sound like trash

how can these be so highly respected musicians and continue to arrange such similar off signature drums/base lines and get away it.

You are not anywhere near on the level of any of the musicians in tool, not in your fucking dreams

wtf most of the songs sound the same.
Chocolate Chip Trip is the only one that stands out.

he's right though. some tom-heavy drum beat + aimless guitar feedbacking or hanging on an open power chord is what a stale jam sounds like.

7 minutes it goes from ok to great

Mak me wish they'd get Sylvia Massy to engineer and mix the next record. Or Albini...

Wtf I love all of their covers and especially this one

The vocals are way too clean. They must have went all digital in the recording and mastering unlike 10000 Days

they're both really good but I'll have to go with Invincible. Especially the ending

>the album art > the album cover

m.imgur.com/gallery/VBEdl16

I'm very much enjoying it right now. Not a huge fan of the production, but it could just be some quality issues on my end from the conversion. Will give it another listen after it officially releases, but so far it's very good.

what a bunch of try hards. sad.

(((justin)))

Attached: Y00184.png (582x560, 477K)

Albini should produce every record.