How do you guys write songs/music pieces?

How do you guys write songs/music pieces?

Attached: 1458517025827.jpg (912x956, 274K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WlaSQaa9x8Y
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

With a pencil.

Attached: 12345432123.gif (291x316, 912K)

by bashing the instrument and screaming incoherently

You have to find your own process. You can only develop that by doing it.

I think a key ingredient is patience to try to develop whatever material you have into something good. How many early demos of awesome songs have you heard that didn't have the magic at all? But the composer knew to stick with it, and was able to make it amazing. Listen to what you have, and see if you can pinpoint what makes it lackluster, see if you can learn to fix it.

There are two general methods I like.

The first is to view a song on a timeline with different destinations on the way, and then you work to connect them. That is akin to the typical method of drawing, where you start with roughly blocking in the big shapes and so on, and then you refine it more and more, adding more and more distinct features and detail.

The other is just writing note by note. Stevie wonder reportedly did this. Just start somewhere, and try to feel the emotion of where you want the melody to go, and which bass note goes with it. Play it over and over and hone in on it.

aite lemme drop some fucking gems, i'm in the mood

try alternate guitar tunings then write out a diagram with your guitar neck and mark all the notes that are safe to play in a certain scale. this way you can just visually move through the neck and find very interesting chords, licks, etc. made most my guitar stuff like this

if you use FL studio drop literally any sample at least 30 sec long (percussion loop, rain drops on a car, classical piano slowed down...) into slicex. cut up the sample in various places so you have at least 15-30 slices, then just put one note down that plays the first sample then ARPEGGIATE IT, so that the note moves up and then down the slicex slices. it can be any scale you want as it's not actually arpegiatting musical notes but the cut up sample bits. very very very nice way to do percussion and chop up samples in ways you'd never come up with in a million years. this is also amazing to use on melodic parts.

Ableton literally does all that for you with a click of a button

Lol FL plebs

i'm so irritated rn in at this and i have no reason to be. i just wanted you to know you caused me a great surge of adrenaline and stress and i almost threw my mouse at my monitor

Wow, those are good replies and useful insights; thanks guys.

Attached: 1431686480186.png (1366x1102, 136K)

>How do you guys write songs/music
No one writes music here, because they're all talentless. They enjoy all the big bands' music but when it comes to making their own, they forget about about any motive, melody or message the song has to have. Never waste your time on sc, bc threads, those guys will never make it.

Attached: 15666564364040.png (1024x768, 1.06M)

Thanks, you're welcome bro

t. failed musician

it's true. the talented writers know they've got it

I've been learning Ableton recently, how do you do this? Sounds like a useful technique

Also, OP, everyone composes music differently. My way of doing things is thinking of random chord progressions/bass lines/lead melodies at random points during the day, writing them down, and combining them all when I feel like it. Stress free, but you have to wait for inspiration to strike.
Another method I use is thinking of a general theme/idea and improvising on my keyboard hooked up to a DAW. I just keep the good bits and keep building on my base.
Best of luck to you OP.

Static loser mindset detected. Can't write music for the joy of writing music detected.

1. slap shit together
2. leave it for a day or two
3. come back and fix it with fresh ears

bump

>1. slap shit together
Yeah this is the part OP is most likely interested in.

>that are safe to play in a certain scale
ngmi

figure out your favorite base to build upon.
i always start with chord progressions and i play my guitar until i have about 3-4 in a particular key.
i loop them then i play around on the piano atop it.
once im satisfied with my chords and leads, i write it in my daw and elaborate on it.

Rip off Danzig

I'm really new to it, but generally I either get an inspiration and try to copy it down before I lose the idea, or I open my daw and make like 3-4 piano loops of bass+chords+arpeggio+melody, pick the one that sounds best at the moment, save the rest for later, and start thinking about sound design and arrangement.

This is the video I learned that technique from.
youtube.com/watch?v=WlaSQaa9x8Y

hahahahaha if only u knew : )

Write in general midi

>Can't write music for the joy
That is not what ''writing music'' is called. You can have orgazm banging sticks on an empty oil canister, trully believing the sound and rythms you make are pure music of universe. Barely anyone would ever listen to that recording of yours, light up a cigarette and watch the sunset, singing along the lyrics, because there's no story you are capable to tell, nothing to spit out.

Nah dude. People in tune with what he was feeling when he wrote that banger would resonate with it and have their own orgasm and have their muscles twitch along with the sound and rhythms he made.
Lyrics are for those who are not able to understand the true language of music.