Imagine being such a J-soi that you think this Danish delight was wrong about Napster

Imagine being such a J-soi that you think this Danish delight was wrong about Napster.

Attached: larsulrich.jpg (214x317, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=cZS-znRmfA4
celebritynetworth.com/dl/taylor-swift/
celebritynetworth.com/dl/rihanna/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

He was completely correct, look at the industry now. People just wanted free shit and didn't care

Attached: reddit.jpg (720x960, 51K)

Yeah and it's hilarious how people justify it while still whining
>good! fuck the industry!
>w-wait...y-you mean I can't become a career musician now because there's no money?? THATS NOT FAIR!!!!!

And fuck the jealous non musicians who say "art should be free" because they're bitter they work a shitty office job and don't want anyone to be a rockstar ever again

He was right, and I think there is an argument that destroying the industry hurt rock music more than other say pop or rap. I would assume there is more overhead to paying for and lugging around all that gear than beats and rhymes.

It definitely did. Pop and rap artists are also the safest, easiest to control and most disposable product for labels to push which is good because it means they hold all the cards, while rock music has much more of a fan dedication that makes it harder for labels to have complete control, and it's harder to push rock music that has no credibility to said fans, there's lots of factors but ultimately they all mean the corporate cigar smoking suits no longer see much reason to promote rock music

What was the music selection like back then?

Attached: CC3D2196-5619-4ADA-9FF8-739F6013D230.png (800x600, 53K)

oh my goodness shut the fuck up. he literally had no principle beyond "i want as much money as possible". you'll notice how he was never able to articulate a stance beyond "i deserve to get paid". cool dude, you've been paid, you're getting paid, and you will continue to be paid

SUCH a weird thread. it's as if a /pol/ zoomer did a research subject, found out about that 15-minute long napster-metallica feud and was just riveted by it. everyone else found it really fucking boring at the time. and if anything lars just made napster's side of the argument way stronger because everyone used the logic that "oh it's pissing off those douchebags in metallica? awesome then i'm for it". whereas an artist like dylan could have commanded serious respect

>he was never able to articulate a stance beyond "i deserve to get paid"
And what kind of argument would please you?

who cares, metallica's music stopped being relevant after the black album

Your opinion stopped being relevant after you were born

Wrong
youtube.com/watch?v=cZS-znRmfA4

Guys like Lars will make money for the rest of their lives, Jason Newsted is still rich just because he was on the Black Album, and he hasn't put out any music anyone has bought in DECADES

THEY are all good and alway will be, but now they have to watch it all crumble and go away, because there is NO HOPE for new bands.

Fuck off you piece of shit yuppie office worker short haired faggot.

>Your opinion stopped being relevant after you were born
imagine unironically listening to metallica post-black album lmao

Imagine being you lmao

I don't have to, but you're still a retard with bad taste lmao

>gene simmons
Wow, you really sunk your own argument there kid

Yeah, he said that, but he could, think of the thousands of artists who tried and nobody listened. Pull your head out of your arse for a change.

>man I don't like can't make a good point because I was told he's bad!
You shouldn't be calling anyone "kid" with a petulant anti-intellectual attitude such as that, you wretched cur.

I left a bad taste in your moms mouth when I dropped my spunk in it lol.

Wew

Jew boomer gtfo

maybe you should see a doctor about that bro

>"The reality is that this album is going to end up on the Internet whether we want it to or not," said Offspring singer Dexter Holland. "So we thought, ‘Why don't we just do it ourselves?' We're not afraid of the Internet. We think it's a very cool way to reach our fans."

>this is your brain on st.anger

You're right I should have said dropped my LOAD.

>a band virtue signals for attention who already made it as big as they ever would and were past their prime anyway
Lars was thinking of other people's careers and the future of rock and roll.

stop it, you're just embarrassing yourself at this point, metallica fans are retards I get it

Oh I’m sure he was and not thinking about another expensive car
Retard

>it bad becuz it difrent!!

Attached: 1512283186538.jpg (211x239, 5K)

Recordings ruined music in the early 20th century. Napster is just the logical cancerous conclusion to this.

He was completely right about Napster, sad that people are really only agreeing with him almost 2 decades later

I pirate music everyday but i'm not going to make excuses justifying it like i'm helping the artists by doing it. But I download stuff i've never heard of that i'd never take the chance on buying an album of if I don't download it, so I wouldn't listen to them at all if I didn't pirate. So not really hurtful just not helpful.

Fuck yourself short hared corporate faggot.

You NEVER were rock n roll and never will be.

Faggot.

Based. These fucking faggots trying to justify their actions. I steal music all the fucking time....because I can, because it's easy as fuck, because I'm allowed to do it.

Does that make it right? Fuck no, I don't virtue signal my own bullshit, I fucking steal from the corner store if nobody is looking, I steal whenever I know I can get away with it, and I don't claim to be justified in doing so, I'm a piece of shit criminal.

wew

Kill yourself fatboy.

Well it would happen anyway with technology.

The only way to fight it is to make sure your music isn't available for streaming, which would kill your career as the offline infrastructure for discovery of music died with the internet.

I mean, i guess zines again would be cool

You got nothin but mad

Lars is a king

celebritynetworth.com/dl/taylor-swift/

I'm sure that bad evil streaming has really hurt her bottom line.

Pop is not welcome in rock threads.

celebritynetworth.com/dl/rihanna/

Or hers.

>Recordings ruined music in the early 20th century.

Not gonna lie, I've contemplated this many times before...

AOR was never a good way to make money, not even in the 70s. Even back then you had to have radio hits to eat.

Like for example Metallica. I'd like to compare the size of Lars's bank account before and after TBA.

What does that matter though? Fact of the matter was...you and your mates could gather up your shit, hop on a bus to some music hub city, and if you had the right stuff you could make it as a rock star from the ground up.

THAT dream is fucking dead, because there is no money in selling music. Now the industry just hand crafts their own products, which they did before too, but now it's the only thing they're going to pay attention to because it's safe.

>and if you had the right stuff you could make it as a rock star from the ground up.
...if you made radio friendly pop rock songs. I doubt groups like the Pixies ever made that much money.

Because nobody cared about The Pixies, they were "alternative" aka we're "alternative to the mainstream on purpose"

That's their choice.

A big part of the reason that dream is dead as well is simple lack of demand. Mathematically, there is a ratio of non-musicians to musicians. The musicians are all competing for a finite number of non-musician ears. So there's a competition for people's listening limited time.

Nowadays, the majority of that listening time is reserved for acts that have already come and gone long ago, including many artists who are literally dead, and the new artists who are popping up these days have no interest in doing anything original because the old genres have cool images and aesthetics they can simply borrow, and it's completely safe.

I've tried to find other musicians who want to take risks and just musically experiment. There aren't any because even experimental music now has a big list of tropes you have to follow in order to be one or you will be shunned from the scene. And there's a scene everywhere for any type of music, except, you guessed it, people just messing around and doing things without a label.

There's a huge problem right now with people simply not having the patience to give anything but the stuff they already like a chance and as a result people like me who want to make original things feel there's no point at all.

I remember Buck Dharma saying there were times when BOC had to make commercial songs not because they wanted to, but they really needed money.

>and the new artists who are popping up these days have no interest in doing anything original because the old genres have cool images and aesthetics they can simply borrow, and
Wait, how many dudes in the 70 didn't simply copy black blues artists or 50s rock and roll?

When people say "rock is dead", they're usually followers of Dave Grohl who mean "Why doesn't anyone look or sound like AC/DC anymore" when forgetting that those bands were a product of their time, so why would you expect a band 40 years later to sound like them.

Well yeah, but that's part of the job. You no longer get the option to have that job. At some point every successful artist has to think "hmmm, do I want to do something risky or try my hand at a commercial hit?"

Either way it's a good life to live.

I'm sure this is partially true and you make a good point, but at the same time....the lack of promotion has a lot more to do with it. The mainstream media has always been a huge way most of the country learns about music, people like us seek out music, most people don't, just like most people get all their news from the mainstream news most people only know music that is fed to them by the mainstream media....and the mainstream media no longer promotes rock music because of the many reasons discussed ITT and ultimately all go back to the fact that you can't make money selling music now....pop and rap artists are just much cheaper and easier to profit from in the age of not being able to sell albums

Obviously, there is nothing out there that is beyond the purview other types of music, even my own, I know I'm an electronic musician. But I try to find non-electronic musicians to work with because I know whatever end result happens will no doubt be unusual, but my experience has been every time that they're mostly focused on doing the genre they want as accurately and acceptably as possible.

Yes, many artists in the 70's were simply taking blues and other things slightly further than before. All of music is constant collaborative game anyway and not a single artist exists without having been influenced and inspired by artists before them. But you can see the progression that happens over time. The music did change because they were, as I said, okay with the concept of taking risks and working with conflicting elements because they enticed by the new and interesting. Prog rock consists of conflicting elements, IDM consists of conflicting elements, post-punk, jazz fusion, so and so forth. Every influential genre was involved in some kind of a risk and we've all heard the stories of these seminal acts and how they had a hard time proving themselves to the previously established norms at first.

Because of recording, the amount of music simply piles and piles up. It's getting to the point where there's very little breathing room left for new creations. That's why the dream is dead. Now I don't doubt the situation will eventually correct itself but it's where we're at now.

I disagree simply because it's always been the underground subset of music that drove progress and creation. Underground musicians may not be millionaires but they made enough money to do what they loved and get by, and I've never seen an interview or blog by any of them that seems to indicate they regretted. I don't think the money is the issue at all because no serious artist worth their salt requires money to motivate them. The problem is the lack of demand for new artists and the overwhelming obsession with reviving old trends over and over again. One of the biggest trends in "underground" music around 2013-2014 was all the new psychedelic rock coming out. Sure, it has it's own spin, it's not a carbon copy, but it's an explicit act of trying to go back to something. At least from my eyes, all of the visionaries and innovators of music distinctly looked towards the future and believed in the idea of trying things that hadn't been tried before. In the post-internet age, where the main activity of the average person is simply shitting on everyone who isn't like them, the idea of trying new things is a lot less appealing. It just seems like an easy way to embarrass yourself to no other end.

>and the mainstream media no longer promotes rock music because of
They never did unless it was on MTV at 2:00 AM.

Attached: 1479534163134.jpg (1000x666, 217K)

>They never did unless it was on MTV at 2:00 AM.
So you were born in the year 2000 and didn't even witness culture before the 2010s...leave the discussion about things that happened before you were born.

I mean actual good music not manufactured pop rock.

>Pop and rap artists are also the safest, easiest to control and
>rap
>safe and
>easy to control
I'm gonna have to let 6ix9ine know about that.

The reason you don't see Zeppelin kinds of bands anymore is because that music represented a particular form of boomer rebellion that doesn't exist in 2019.

Attached: facepalm.png (1500x912, 184K)

You'd be wrong to think that rebellion is no more
though, but complacency/comfort has made a big dent in it for sure. It's cozy behind the screen yaknow.

>backpedals
Ok tween, leave the thread you have no point to make.

The last time rock music was significantly promoted was the 00's, and plenty of bands have become very rich from the music they made in that era, love or hate it, there was a time a band like say....Korn, were underground and innovative, they were white trash nobodies from fucking Bakersfield who managed to get a thing going and get rich and famous. Why? Because after building an underground buzz, the mainstream media and record labels pushed them because they figured they could make money off them....more money than the pop stars? Probably not, but they'll sell albums to the fucking rock kids regardless and they can go on big tours and all that dumb fun shit they never really cared about because they are businessmen. And hell, even bands who were doing retro shit could get big back then. You had plenty of bands in the 00s who were carrying the torch for older styles and fashions who got signed, pushed, and played to the masses based on that "retro" factor, really you could just make it....you could be new and innovative, you could be retro, or you could be a clone of someone else, the fact of the matter is you could make money in a rock band

Now you can't, and it's not because nobody listens to rock music or that there is no audience for it, it's because the labels themselves won't profit off it now that they can't sell the music.

Why are zoomers so fucking stupid?
>muh scumgang skittleface retard is cuhrazy and unpredictable!
These retards dont give a shit about art, they only want money, and theyll do whatever a label tells them to if they threaten to drop them from the label. You're an idiot.

>You'd be wrong to think that rebellion is no more
Obviously not but it doesn't look like youth rebellion did in 1971. Nobody today is an Easy Rider outlaw hippie biker. The classic rock canon you all love was the soundtrack to that lifestyle.

Rappers basically do anything they are told, say what they're told to say, push whatever corporate products they're told to push, and can be murdered or put in jail at the drop of a dime.

They also expire as soon as the media says it's not cool anymore, because rap fans are singles oriented, they only like what is new or "hot", they don't support artists once that artist is deemed "the old shit". This is why old rappers don't have generational audiences like rock bands do.

>it's because the labels themselves won't profit off it now
Well yeah, there's no good bands anymore. Arguably mainstream rock was already a joke in the 2000s when Nickelback and Simple Plan became the face of rock.

>This is why old rappers don't have generational audiences like rock bands do.
Rap goes out of style because the tracks are extremely literal and full of topical references that have a shelf life of five minutes. It's not a genre capable of being abstract or indirect like pop or rock.

A trend i've noticed recently is bands getting by letting companies slap their image on top on their own, "buy this product and become a part of the feeling this artist conveys"

Look at gucci w surfbort/amyl n the sniffers for example.

I mean i get the bands, you gotta eat. But it's pretty damn disgusting as a thing.

I guess complete integration with the corporate is not far off. Now you can still be cool doing it.

Live music has usually always been the way bands made money. Arguably in the 70s one could sell an unusual amount of albums due to the demographic peculiarities of the time...there was a massive boomer population to buy music. That was a lucky fluke circumstance that couldn't be repeated.

Sure. But that's just times changing.
What's the soundtrack to the extinction rebellion guys for example?

Guitar music isn't dead, but guitar music that promotes white male masculinity is. The record industry doesn't want to promote that ideal anymore and I'll leave you to guess why.

I figure that living expenses have gone wayyy up makes starting out touring for almost nothing much harder. Less bands get out on the roads, less fun.

People forget that most classic rock and metal albums did not sell a huge amount of copies in their day. Go to the used record bin at Salvation Army and you'll find mountains of adult contemporary, pop, and country because that was what most normies listened to in the 70s, not Uriah Heep.

I can smell the cheap beer from these posts. Fuck off.

I agree we've been lacking in mainstream heavy rock lately, though the last great burst of it in the 2000s was not terribly inspiring.

And didn't 50 Cent get shot nine times?

>doesn't drink cheap beer
What are you doing in a thread about rock music, yuppie faggot? Go listen to Kanye or Imagine Dragons you sissy bitch.

So what if I burn a cd to my pc and share it with friends, and they share it with their friends? How do you plan on stopping that?

There was a lot more than that going on in the 00s, and even in the 00s, those bands were viewed the same way they are now.

That has always been a thing to some extent, never to the extent of rap music who will literally write songs about products, usually dangerous ones that kill black people, but like Dave Mustaine talked about how all the show companies would send them free sneakers and shit, which is why they always had shitty clothes but nice expensive sneakers.

>Guitar music isn't dead, but guitar music that promotes white male masculinity is. The record industry doesn't want to promote that ideal anymore and I'll leave you to guess why.
This is a truth, but only one more on top of the pile.

That's fine if that's what you're into, but as per most of the criticism in the thread, a lot of people here aren't interested in just going along with what the industry's desires are.

Yeah i suppose, but the blatantness of it seems more now, even in the underground.
Selling out isn't really a thing anymore

you idiots are being way overtly generous to lars or just fanboys of metallica if you think that pretentious fucking idiot had any idea about the future of the music industry instead of his bank account.

Attached: 1566695175094.jpg (408x439, 59K)

Look at the discussion in this thread instead of at Lars

If illegal downloading killed music we'd see everything affected instead of just white d00dz with guitars.

>didn't read thread

I did. Some guy posted a couple walls of text with no real arguments in them to try and overpower his opponents..

He was both right and wrong. He was right that the recording that leaked to Napster was a demo that wasn't ready to be heard by the world and that's what primarily pissed him off, but he and the rest of the anti-filesharing gang were completely overselling its impact on the industry.
In the end they were just gatekeeping for the old ways and fearmongering over nothing. What gets me about it is how a lot of them justify it by pretending to only care about the welfare of the little guy in the music biz, but when you look at new media it's the little guy that's embracing it and thriving.

The first thing I noticed is that the biggest anti-Napster guys were dadrockers like him and Gene Simmons who'd already made all their money. I never recall a young, currently relevant band in their 20s-30s complaining about it back them.

And furthermore, although hard rock and metal have disappeared for the most part from the mainstream this decade, I think it's for other reasons, mainly sociopolitical ones, rather than streaming.

>If illegal downloading didn't kill music we'd see no one affected, not just mumbling negros on 808s
Not a good argument but this is the depth of your thesis

Maynard from Tool was down on it too I think

Yeah, but you see that talking point all the time. When Radiohead released In Rainbows you had Kim Gordon in the media acting like Helen Lovejoy pleading for us to think of the children, and when U2 put their album on everyone's phone (which was obviously a bad idea but still), you had the Black Keys guy ranting about how it "devalues music" or something, and will negatively impact young artists. All it really shows is how out of touch they are.

>it's the little guy that's embracing it and thriving.
No they're not. There is NO rock band as big as Metallica was even when they weren't so big in the 80's, outside of an odd case or two like Greta Van Fleet or Ghost. And I bet they make a whole lot less money anyway.

Because at the time they were making money.....
The 00s sold shitloads of records, the file sharing fiascio hadn't caught up yet, the battle was a pre emptive one

Any time something new happens, people complain. When TV first came along in the 50s, some crusty politicians disliked the idea of TV campaign ads as they said it was undignified.

In the 80s the industry hadn't yet decided that bands like Metallica promoted toxic masculinity and therefore weren't going to sign them.

>The 00s sold shitloads of records, the file sharing fiascio hadn't caught up yet, the battle was a pre emptive one
Whoops.

Attached: img_3.png (1336x713, 69K)

Lars Ulrich is a shitstain and a pigfucker. He will die like a beast for what he did to p2p file sharing, and to Napster. Varg Vikernes and I will piss on his grave, since he's too miserly to do the honorable thing and be buried as a nameless pauper though that is what the trash deserves. His time comes soon, may Hell devour his filthy puppet soul.

>>The 00s sold shitloads of records, the file sharing fiascio hadn't caught up yet, the battle was a pre emptive one
>Whoops.
This is about rock music, not pop music you fucking moron.

Welp...

Attached: 939403.png (1329x703, 68K)

cliff burton, the drum sound on ajfa, the black album, load\reload, napster, lulu...lars has never really been wrong about anything.

Damn.

Attached: igjm.png (1269x491, 40K)

Poor guy. Reduced to penury by those evil music thieves.

Attached: hy67.png (1061x222, 73K)

Did you know that the artist on average gets all of 15% of the total profit from an album sale?

Go to bed Dave

Today they count iTunes streams in sales. If you like a track, you can pay 50 cents for it.

Yeah, why do big pop stars like Tay or Adele still sell a bazallion plat and even diamond records? Are pop music fans just more will to buy a physical product in the post file-sharing world? Look at some of the biggest/most influential rock bands of the 00s like QotSA and The Strokes. Songs for the Deaf just missed plat, and Is this It barely got plat in the USA. Compare that with a historical footnote like Candlebox back in 1993 riding the grunge wave to a quad plat record.

Candlebox was a manufactured buttrock band, I'm not sure they count.

Candlebox who??? Quad plat??
The mind boggles

Pop stars make their money from radio play and sampling in TV/movies and whatnot. As I tried to explain earlier, hard rock and metal albums have never been great ways to make money, not even in 1971. Unless you went radio friendly as BOC did from time to time when they were desperate for cash.

Then explain how rockstars in the 80s, 90s, and 00s went from being white trash to being millionaires overnight?

Those who did had hit singles that got on the radio.

And? The idea that rock music is anti mainstream is completely fabricated.

what? they all make the most money from touring and endorsement deals now. how behind the times are you?

That was my point, I shouldn't have written historical footnote when I meant historical nothing. That someone as irrelevant to the history of rock music as Candlebox went quad plat whereas QotSA never went plat and The Strokes barely got to one plat, and this is 1993 versus the early 00s. Just 10 years time, before everyone got high speed internet.

unironically correct.
I NEVER pirate stuff, video games, music or movies!

[spoiler]because I am too afraid I will get a virus and/or ruin my computer, not for any moral reason[/spoiler]

thats a big head

Kys white nigger

If you're not being a white nigger in the current year then what are you even doing?
You're a house cracker if you contribute to any of the current traitorous european or american governments in a positive way.

At least BOC made actually good commercial songs, that counts for something.

It's not quite that simple - the labels protect the artists they support, which is why they have a load of techies and lawyers scouring the net for their product. The white d00dz with guitars have to do that on their own increasingly rare dimes.

Nah man not true it's all about just.....JUST SHUT UP

Attached: 1476014166900.jpg (540x720, 176K)