What's the deal with this album? why do i see so many people saying it's bowie's best...

what's the deal with this album? why do i see so many people saying it's bowie's best? i've listened to it about 3 or 4 times all the way through and i don't see anything much in it besides the first track - after that it just sort of peters out.
tell me what im missing out on

Attached: station to station.jpg (1500x1500, 649K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4625288
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

LORD I KNEEL AND OFFER YOU, MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WORDDDDDDDDD ON A WING

you're missing out on 'low', the real best album by bowie

It's mostly because of the first track. It's pretty cool hearing Bowie do Krautrock and it came right before the Berlin Trilogy so you can see the changes in sound he was developing.

IT'S NOT THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE COCAINE

low is my favourite bowie album. heroes is my second favourite. i just dont get station to station

bump

Station to Station [RCA Victor, 1976]
Miraculously, Bowie's attraction to black music has matured; even more miraculously, the new relationship seems to have left his hard-and-heavy side untouched. Ziggyphiles can call it robotoid if they want--I admire the mechanical, fragmented, rather secondhand elegance of Aladdin Sane, and this adds soul. All of the six cuts are too long, I suppose, including the one that originated with Johnny Mathis, and David sounds like he's singing to us via satellite. But spaceyness has always been part of his shtick, and anybody who can merge Lou Reed, disco, and Huey Smith--the best I can do with the irresistible "TVC 15"--deserves to keep doing it for 5:29. A

Suprisingly this was Christgau's highest rated Bowie album. Everything else got B or A-, S2S got a solid A.

Ziggy Stardust was his best album no doubt about it

If you have to ask then don't bother.

AND I'M TRYING HARD TO FIT AMONG YOUUUUR SCHEEEEMEEEE OF THIIIIINGS

Pleb opinion

Station to Station is God tier long song that tops itself every section.
Stay is a more bitter more heavier funk jam.
Golden Years and TVC15 are excellent groovy pop tunes with ecelectic edge.
The other 2 are solid ballads.

Not even top 5

bump

my nigga

When the bass wakes up on S2S its like a slumbering beast flexing and stretching. Assumed it was Belew on guitar for the longest time, Bowie really stretched Earl

this album is the epitome of cool. station to station is one of the best openers of all time. he took the soul and funk of young americans and made the best rocks songs of his career.

The first track steals the show, golden years wooses you in and then it hits hard again with the next songs

TVC15 is also a god tier track
overall I think it's one of his most expirmental while still feeling bowie, something I think Low failed at

interesting points. ill keep in mind when i listen to it again
I think with Low he wanted to expand his sound outside of Ziggy and plastic soul so I don't think it was less "Bowie" - just a new side.

stay is my favorite bowie song, the best vocal melody

You're mostly right but Stay is God tier as well

if golden years doesnt get you moving theres little hope for you

AAAANGEEEL

IMO, I love it for the melodies, bass lines and arguably Bowie's best vocal performance. Additionally, I only recommend listening to the original W. German RCA release. It has the punchiest sound. It's my favorite Bowie album along with Lodger.

>'low', the real best album by bowie
I love Bowie's 70s output, but Low never resonated with me. I hardly listen to it.

>original W. German RCA release
where to find this?

Ziggy is a solid album, but it's so tame compared to what comes after it.

when did you realize pic related is the true greatest bowie album?

Attached: R-710468-1475029886-8513.jpeg.jpg (600x599, 149K)

You can find most of the original RCA releases here:
rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4625288

thanks man

this

Aladdin Sane is a straight upgrade

sheesh
get a load of this pleb

desu I like most of the West German RCA CD masters but I personally prefer the 2010 STS, the 2015 box-set Ziggy, and the 2017 Lodger. it's more just individual taste than fidelity though. hope we get remasters of the 1995-onwards albums with less brickwalling one day, I'd love to hear Heathen without all that compression.

>2010 STS
DVD release? I didn't know about this one, but I'm gonna check it out.
>2015 Ziggy
I haven't listened to this, but it appears it may be a stereo version of the 5.1 2003 mix.
>2017 Lodger
Looks heavily compressed, but I'll check it. I agree about Heathen, which I consider to be one of his better later year albums. I got a rip of the 5.1 because it had slightly less compression, but it could still sound much better.

Golden Years and Tvc15 are the only stand out tracks on the album for me after multiple listens.

After listening to multiple Bowie albums, I've come to the conclusion that I can only appreciate his singles. His albums usually have too many boring tracks in there for me to appreciate the whole thing.

IM THINKING THAT IT MUST BE LOOOVEEEE

>he ranks golden years at the top
Dude, it's a fuckin manufactured radio single. If anything it becomes one of the most boring tracks after multiple listens. You've unironically been filtered.

oh, I didn't meant the 2003 Ken Scott mix- the box-set has both the 2003 mix and an updated version of a different master, I don't know which one, personally I'm not too fond of the 2003 mix

and I mean the new Harry Maslin mix of STS

2017 Lodger is pretty compressed unfortunately but the mix is much, much brighter and punchier, closer to Scary Monsters or STS in timbre

Not that user but I really dont like the Harry Maslin mix desu. Hate what they've done to Wild Is The Wind