Jazz is music for incels who want to appear more intelligent than they actually are, prove me wrong

Jazz is music for incels who want to appear more intelligent than they actually are, prove me wrong.

Pro tip: you can't

Attached: 04-MILES-AHEAD-R.jpg (794x800, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FNznrpgXSyY
youtube.com/watch?v=fhyhP_5VfKM
youtube.com/watch?v=l5VDMbeBsDQ
youtu.be/t-RuMVX74A8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

miles davis, known incel

That's why I refuse to listen to anything other then Billie Eilish and Slipknot. Nobody will ever think i'm trying to look intelligent.

Attached: 48547438.gif (480x270, 1.79M)

Baldcel

Incels don't like black music, you're thinking of classical.

you meant to say classical
this is unironically why classical is more popular than jazz

Classical has more institutional support but they are both extremely niche. Also not really sure why classical and jazz are being grouped together.

You're spelling prog wrong.

I know what I said.

prog and classical are both for incels
jazz is the best :)

>replying to this shit thread

Listening to Jazz is only okay if you play an instrument

If you had zero exposure to jazz music or music theory and told me giant steps was a good album I know for a fact you're just tryna be interesting

Like not passing high school and then sitting in on an astrophysics lecture and telling everyone how cool it was

quit being a faggot

You know that giant steps isn’t the only song on the album right. The rest of the tunes aren’t just exercises in improvising through far away keys. Syda’s song flute bumps hard

Does the same go for when it was one of the prominent genres in the 20s - 40s?

anyone can listen to anything if they like it
you don't need to know how to play an instrument
all you have to do is like how it sounds

Giant Steps also happens to be the name of the album
Different shit and you know it

They can go ahead, but I can't feasibly think of a reason they would enjoy it

>Also not really sure why classical and jazz are being grouped together.
1. Classical was one of the main influences on jazz
2. Both are seen as higher forms of art compared to pop music
3. Both have been institutionalized

Can you enjoy film without taking a course in film theory or being involved in your own student films?
Were you unable to comprehend taste before you began cooking your own meals?
Knowing theory isn’t a prerequisite for enjoying music. I’m not sure why people make this argument for jazz or classical but not other genres.

I mean I know next to nothing about films and I tend to find that a lot of the elements of "film-student-y" films get lost on me, and I'm sure I'd enjoy them a lot more if I studied the medium. And food is completely fucking different but you still hear people wanking off about having a "refined palette" etc

Jazz is pop music, it’s just niche. Both have been instituonalized though yeah. Classical was an influence on jazz harmonically but that goes for most pop music since most of it uses functional harmony and modal mixture developed in common practice period.

Yeah and. There’s a lot of songs on that album you can enjoy besides giant steps (irregardless of the original point).

>lots of other enjoyable songs
True, but I was referring to the album and not the song in the first post

I know I’m saying you could like the album without liking the only pseud status song on the album since the other songs are more complete

Not him but I think the worst people on the internet (youtube comment sections, namely) when it comes to jazz are first, second, or third year jazz/band students.

Attached: 8B6FA87D-2CAC-4C41-A064-FC20278328CA.jpg (451x700, 117K)

i don't play an instrument or anything
i literally just like the sound of jazz because it sounds pleasing to my ears

You should find a way to articulate what you like, it really helps in discussion. Look into just very basic theory, see what elements of jazz you like recur often.

They could be first year students but I think they are just pseuds who saw the vox video on giant steps.

No. im a brainlet. stop. i like the noise when the trumpet goes bloo0pl0opl0o=pp[] and the ficuiking cum sperm seen semen

This is a meme if he’s not playing jazz he doesn’t need to know theory you’re more of a pseud than the people in those YouTube comments. And even then, you don’t need to know the theory of everything you play to play straight ahead stuff like giant steps. Just know the sound and how it feels on the instrument and what chords it can go over. Stuff like modal information is basically irrelevant and actually harmful and leads to scale playing

Born in the wrong generations lesser known but equally heinous cousin

thank you i felt stupid

He said he doesn’t play an instrument. I think anyone who’s into interested enough in music to go on Yea Forums should at least try to learn some basic theory so they can talk about specific parts of music. Discussion is a little dull if it’s just “I like/dislike this”

How would the discussion be less dry if I said “I like when the song modulates up a major third” than when I said “ I like the way this change sounds”? I use theory to communicate with other musicians about what to play not to discuss and share music.

You are based, my dear friend.

>I never even thought about whether or not they understand what I’m doing… the emotional reaction is all that matters. As long as there’s some feeling of communication, it isn’t necessary that it be understood.

quote from Coltrane himself. yeah, there's plenty of poseurs who listen to jazz, but at least it's a genuinely interesting form of music that you can learn more about. much more interesting thing to pose about than sitting there wearing a fucking joy division shirt pretending you're interesting for consuming something others don't that's easily digested.

>irregardless
retard

The god Coltrane descends and ends the argument

There’s also a Bill Evans quote about the layman’s opinion having more worth than that of the professional musician

this. if a doctor wants to treat me, he better know jargon and have people in the room who know it, but if he wants me to know what the fuck is going on in my own body, he's gonna have to communicate in plainer terms. for an artform like music that might be the most primal conversational method across human cultures, it's fucking annoying seeing incels try to gatekeep chatting about it online. but then i remember i'm on Yea Forums and anyone seriously gatekeeping jazz discussion is just a high school jazz band member who's mad that stacy won't fuck him and so regurgitates the retarded ideology of his musical failure of a teacher

gotta dig that up. thanks based user

for those curious:

>I believe that all people are in possession of what might be called a universal musical mind. Any true music speaks with this universal mind to the universal mind in all people. The understanding that results will vary insofar as people have or have not been conditioned to the various styles of music in which the universal mind speak. Consequently often some effort and exposure is necessary in order to understand some of the music coming from a different period or a different culture than that to which the listener has been conditioned. I do not agree that the layman’s opinion is less of a valid judgement of music than that of the professional musician. In fact I would often rely more on the judgement of a sensitive layman than that of a professional since the professional because of his constant involvement with the mechanics of music must fight to preserve the naivety that the layman already possesses.

>I do not agree that the layman’s opinion is less of a valid judgement of music than that of the professional musician. In fact I would often rely more on the judgement of a sensitive layman than that of a professional since the professional because of his constant involvement with the mechanics of music must fight to preserve the naivety that the layman already possesses.”

You people are fucking idiots. Here are some nice jazz enjoyable in its own right
youtube.com/watch?v=FNznrpgXSyY
youtube.com/watch?v=fhyhP_5VfKM
youtube.com/watch?v=l5VDMbeBsDQ

>jazz
>enjoyable

pick one

Music isn’t really a universal language because conventions and how we hear differ culturally and temporally but I agree with the rest of the post. Anyone who’s gatekeeping jazz to muh theory probably can’t play changes for shit let alone know what shit Coltrane was on

yikes

Heroin?

Why not post bird or smt baka

Kek not when he recorded crescent, a love supreme etc

i don't think that music is universally understood in the same way, but i also don't think that all people who speak the same language understand each other in the same way based on similar cultural conventions. but your point is taken. just trying to express that music floats somewhere more accessible cross-culturally than structured language and that the attempt to latch it onto a specific academic jargon robs it of much of its power

I like dixieland. Now post some yourself

jazz is yet another genre that proves that being christpilled and rejecting the cultural secularism bluepill is the only way to live a full life

youtu.be/t-RuMVX74A8

Jazz is for black people who are old fashioned black people. The Jazz radio plays Jazz and Gospel. What?

Attached: croagunk.jpg (540x449, 61K)

Southern Gospel is literally one of the most important influences on modern popular music

And he still articulates his love for jazz better than Youtube comment sections or reddit.

Jazz is mere jungle noise fit only for heroin addicted niggers.

thank u

u're thinking of RAP (More like crap LOL?) XD

T. Couldn’t play it well even if he wanted too

bump!!! i love jazz

i'm sorry

Based Bill and John making me feel better about myself. How could you not love them?

Imagine trashing jazz when modern day music is dominated by mindless pop/rap? Jazz doesn't have to be your favorite, it certainly isn't mine, but aren't there far more worthy targets?

obvious bait pls stop providing (you)s

based as fuck

better to be mindless than pretentious

Did you read the quotes up the thread from Bill Evans and John Coltrane? Two legendary jazz musicians making statements that were the very opposite of pretentious. I understand that jazz gets a bad reputation because of how some of its fans behave--that kept me from bothering to listen to the genre for a long time, but thanks in part to Yea Forums I finally got over it and started listening. Nothing wrong with it, in fact I quite liked some of it. Still not close to my favorite genre, but I'd take jazz on the radio everywhere over what currently is out there.

>Jazz is music for incels who want to appear more intelligent than they actually are, prove me wrong.

Attached: SOIWED1.jpg (320x320, 23K)

the fact that jazz musicians said them makes the quotes pretentious, regardless of the intent behind the words they said