Redpill me on Modular synths, why do people spend so much money and time on them...

Redpill me on Modular synths, why do people spend so much money and time on them? what can you do with them that you can't simply with a midi keyboard and a daw?

Attached: richard-devine-modular-synth[1].jpg (1050x700, 284K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_jVqe1OH4
youtube.com/watch?v=WBU91cUB_Rk
youtube.com/watch?v=sfrZQzoC6zs
youtube.com/watch?v=GjYENsrLLf4
clyp.it/dtrlaf3q
youtube.com/watch?v=YZCgfyYyTHI
synthcube.com/cart/ttsh-v4
youtube.com/watch?v=QV_xpW0c6gk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's toys for big boys. Completely unmusical for the most part due to the type of person using them (redditors). They just route generative bleeps into a strymon bigsky and take a pic of their minimal and asthetic desk like they're part of a lifestyle magazine that sells you good feelings.

you either buy a microkorg and become something or don't and stay Andrew Wuang kind of embarassement.

Choose.

They're just toys for manchildren who think they're brainy. Or nerds who make a lot of money apparently. You will rarely ever see them used to make anything good even though they're capable of producing interesting results.

>it's all about muh sound exploration
>bleep bloop *fart* *squirt*

Attached: cringe.jpg (1000x800, 511K)

This, pretty much. I don't even hate them, they just like refurbishing old gear, or building new ones, or buying retro gear with their $150k social media company salaries. It's the same as the lawyer with the $90k Les Paul hanging on his office wall, to show he's still "cool".

The snobbery is funny, tho. A sine wave is a sine wave. Some of the older gear has peculiar qualities to it, because it was early tech, or used less than optimal parts, but a sine wave is a sine wave regardless if generated by a Moog or a Midi controller. But it's the 'romance' of old gear, and honestly, there are worse (and destructive) things you can do with your spare cash.
Electronic legos for rich kids. Not even mad. It's better than the old stuff being tossed in a landfill.

C-can this be a modular cringe thread

Post some, i'm curious

Are there any musicians who predominantly use modular synths? I can't really think of anyone. Although I'm sure there are plenty

youtube.com/watch?v=Jr_jVqe1OH4

but when you get a sine wave from a $1k oscillator module with colorful art all over it and flashing lights you obviously get that 'warmth' in your sound you can't find anywhere else

youtube.com/watch?v=WBU91cUB_Rk

why does music produce so much cringe

Hey man, at least it's not performance art

youtube.com/watch?v=sfrZQzoC6zs

Some nice textures but the stormtrooper lego on the table. FUCK.

Agreed. It's now the most embarassing time to call oneself a musician or artist. The music industry (1900 - present) was a fucking joke for the most part, from the beginning.

Tone LEDs, man. Life's not worth living without them.

Most synths sound bland or even bad without effects anyways in my opinion. There's no telling them apart with basic patches. Sure, some got more funky stuff going on but all in all more capabilities only enable trash. Watching sound demos of the waldorf blofeld online is absolutely painful. Where does this cult of trance and berlin school operate? It's like these people have no ears.

Because they're fun to fuck around with. It's nice to twiddle around some physical knobs and sliders, try out patches and just jam/improvise for a bit. I have no idea why people are so butthurt about it.

The people who like it tend to be on the spectrum. I love playing with synths, and learning how they work, and some music made with it is pretty cool, but yeah, so much of it is the same loop shit. I prefer watching someone like DrMix on Youtube fuck around with old gear, because he can actually use a keyboard and make actual melodies. The first two videos printed here are relaxing and would be great as ambient music in a video game, but I'd rather sandpaper my eyeballs than sit for that "performance". (and watching the puffball hair dude in the first one...that rocking back and forth is more autism than dancing.)
There are tinkerer types for all things, though - that's what a lot of these guys are. If they weren't hand soldering oscillators, they'd probably be rabbit holing over tech like 3d printers or some other Maker shit. And I'm not mad at that stuff, either. Sometimes it's just all about making shit, so someone else can make something with it.

This sounds good to me
youtube.com/watch?v=GjYENsrLLf4

you should try being poor

I am poor.

then just and jealousy, bitterness etc.

*add

ITT afraid cv/gate noobs

It's ambient, it's hard to make an actual bad ambient track. It all sounds good, because ambient is a low bar. Hell, I suck at playing piano/keys, and I can scrape together ambient tracks.

Who else DIY their modular setup? Just finishing up 21U worth of diy r*s serge.

remember how middle-class white 30-40 somethings with disposable income used to buy train sets?

it's that.

also you don't even need a DAW. vcv rack can unironically do more than a eurorack setup that would set you back five figures.

but that's not satisfying in any way

it is if you masturbate while you patch.

waiting on parts to finish up the last 104hp

Attached: B12EBEC2-C988-4EBC-A436-70EDFD86EF71.jpg (3949x2994, 3.72M)

but at that point you're not deriving pleasure from the vcv, unless you do this frequently to the point that orgasms become a conditioned response to it

my left hand basically acts like a clock divider now. works really well for me. very satisfying.

I wondered the same thing, then I got a few modules and it all made sense. You won’t really ever “get it” until you sit there working with a bunch of voltage - achieving sounds you could have never got to shuffling thru presets on a VST.

Think about how to begin to create something like this in a daw, and all I did was hit record and turn a few knobs for 10 min to be honest lol

clyp.it/dtrlaf3q

Attached: 47321578-003C-4237-B7EA-5301AE08738A.jpg (2048x2048, 1.19M)

God that sounds awesome. Good shit.

>Redpill me on Modular synths, why do people spend so much money and time on them?
Object fetishism. They are objectively less powerful than any DAW and especially open source synthesis environments like sc or pd.

>generating sine waves with your midi controller
That's pretty incredible, how did you manage?

same reason people buy vinyl. pointless but fun hobby. although with vinyl you can make the argument that its a good way to support artists directly, and if you're really brainwashed you can stunt about the sound quality (tbf some albums are mixed differently for vinyl and those do sound cooler on vinyl than they do on digital).

you can literally make your virtual voltages real with a dc coupled interface now. it's 2019, gramps.

Are you even being serious? That's easily reproducable on a DAW.

No.

The people using these kinds of setups aren't making good music. Never. It's not that the setups are bad, it's that the people using them are bad at music. But that's why they have them for the most part it seems, they want the clout of being some kind of "genius scientist in a laboratory" but they could never achieve that perception with their music so they go for the appearance rather than the actuality. It's a facade in other words. Most of these people certainty couldn't sit down at a piano and write a song but they can patch random cables and turn knobs until some bleep blarp pattern resembling music materialises eventuality.

In the past there were real musicians who used modular synths to make music. It seems like the modern modular crowd thought they could skip over the whole "music" aspect of using modular synths and go straight to musical results without the foundations in music needed to make it work.

They made the mistake of thinking they could sidestep the proverbial 10,000 hours and purchase musicality/creativity in a box when this couldn't be farther from the truth. The results speak for themselves.

Thom Yorke, Jonny Greenwood...

these are impressive levels of cope on display my poor friend

yall basically butthurt poor fags. one day my friends... one day you may afford one of... hmmm forget it. sad sods.

Serge and Metasonix are a match made in heaven

Attached: 174D8E47-4AE3-4621-8D3B-BA86D17D8505.jpg (3592x2694, 2.26M)

music industry has always revolved around selling tech. records were made to sell record players and formats were changed every decade to keep people buying units. Now that music is essentially free the shift in focus has become making your own music. Stuff like modular synths, dj equipment and ambient music made with having 4 delay pedals is just a way to get anyone to be able to produce a sound. If you want to really create music you should learn a traditional instrument that can be attained for free. Someone in your family has a keyboard or a guitar. Its enough to express yourself. This stuff is more like toys.

highly accurate
>gearspammer
lol case in point

this is correct
saying the same thing
fags who shifted from playing passive video game toys thinking they were doing something to playing sound making machines thinking they are doing something. Throw in some dude weed and you are only fooling yourself.

Redpill me on farty synths

they can sound farty, I suppose

Attached: D9F4199A-5744-4FC8-B7E5-8A3E75384C95.jpg (3849x3024, 2.71M)

haha i just discovered that guy recently. why are these cunts still making shiny skrillx music?

not that there is anything wrong wanting to synthesize flatulence

Attached: 3DDF724A-FA9C-4537-875B-694239149901.jpg (3489x2467, 2.56M)

STS9 uses them pretty frequently

True. It's always been said the smart guy doesn't want to be a guitarist but the guy who sells guitars. You can sell the "dream" over and over again, its what the musical instrument industry is in large part. There will always be a small handful of professionals who need good gear for their work but most gear that gets sold is sold to hobbyists.

It seems like in the last 10 years or so there's been a shift from selling the "dream" of becoming a professional musician, it's taken a back seat to selling gear to collector types. It's become something more like baseball card collecting I guess. Again, it doesn't have much to do with actually making music.

it's because they are fun, are 3d and feel more like an instrument with a better workflow, you just switch them on and off you go, making sounds straight away. There is nothing more soulless than programming a computer. I mean if it's all just sine waves and whatever why doesn't everyone just use a program like supercollider all the time? Because UI and aesthetic is important to creativity.
FWIW, i'm just getting into hardware after years of using software after being more productive with an old tr505 i picked up recently than ever.

go on then.

i see this topic has been discussed well on this summer board filled with teenage burger flippers whose exposure to modular systems is exclusively eurorack "PLANTS GENERATIVE AMBIENT YOUTUBE INSTAGRAM"

except this

You hear this all the time but then you hear the music the people that say this kind of stuff make and you realize the kind of instrument they're using is irrelevant because they don't have the intellectual or emotional capacity to make good music on anything.

practically all the top artists mentioned on this board have used modulars or retro analog synths at some point. you are an idiot.

lol yeah, turns out when you give a real musician a tool he can usually utilize it pretty well to make music. You? The modular community? Not so much.

i been playing music on guitar and piano for many years before i used a computer. I might not be the most talented but probabilistically better than you.

I thought James Blakes guitarist was switching between his guitar and a modular synth for about an even half of the set on this tour. Turns out it was just a Moog Taurus 3 built in a huge rack unit that really looked like a modular. I only knew what it was when I looked it up because Troy in Mastodon used one for Crack the Skye

Lmao yeah, let me know how that works out for you k

james holden, kaitlin aurelia smith, orphx, keith fullerton whitman, caterina barbieri etc etc.

that said, most people using modulars these days end up with 'that modular sound.' noodly sequences with loose jammy compositions.

>mfw moved completely itb years ago people tell me how 'warm' my music sounds

Attached: images.list.co.uk_head-high.jpg (618x580, 121K)

>list of literally who's
might as well have named a bunch of pizza delivery drivers senpai

i know rite?

Attached: download.jpg (244x207, 5K)

kfw is pretty based desu

unironically yes

very nice

eh, he fell too much in love with the hardware and the process imo.

i don't know if rashad becker's on a eurorack system or not, but desu his two records are last sonically exciting synthesised albums i've heard. but then you'd expect that from someone of his calibre.

>all I did was hit record and turn a few knobs for 10 min
We can tell.

>200,000 users on 4channel right now
>only 23 of them care enough about his subject to post itt
kek that's right in line with tranny percentage of the general population ain't it

youtube.com/watch?v=YZCgfyYyTHI

Hope you faggots put down your deposit
synthcube.com/cart/ttsh-v4

>rashad becker
sounds like some stockhausen shit.

squishier and more post-african repetitions
squishy and slimy
man really does have golden ears

Rather fuck with Behringer than this fuckery

I'm starting to really hate synths now.

Attached: shameless.jpg (1200x675, 421K)

Yea Forums’s opinion of modular synths:

“...not that there is anything wrong with wanting to synthesize flatulence”

I’m in love.

very swag, i like it.

They appeal to me. I don't see the whole "sound exploration" as a bad thing.
I recently got a midi keyboard and started learning to use daw's and making shitty songs. It's fun, not expensive, but i'm already feeling like in a not distant future I need to get some real synthesizer because the whole daw workflow doesn't quite fit with, i feel like daw's are ultimately for producers and I want to make music alone or with people but I don't feel like i'm cut for being a producer

Who else into semi modular as well?

Attached: 2993B707-773E-41FA-B4A8-E7AE73527D61.jpg (3165x3024, 2.83M)

Hope to own a Buchla Music Easel one day.
youtube.com/watch?v=QV_xpW0c6gk

hardware is just fun to play with. knobs and pots and buttons encourage you to play more musically and with more "feeling" imo

i've had a copy of FL studio for ages but i never cared about making patches until i bought a cheap hardware synth. having a physical instrument makes it much more enjoyable for me

pervert

>i've had a copy of FL studio for ages but i never cared about making patches until i
this is called being creativity bankrupt and your music is certainly pure shit

ciat lonbarde is great, his modules are insane as well

yup ieaskul f mobenthey is main reason I finally got into euro

Attached: D56BE117-EE29-4D7C-9CC0-7978EF49080F.jpg (2026x2617, 1.13M)

i had a close college friend i've lost touch with who slowly began putting together an entry level baby set up for doing synth stuff. it always felt like he was trying to catch up to the joy musicians have to spend years and years developing alone, at home, with no amplification, etc.. but he thought he could take a short cut to that joy. i'm not sure if that's truly the case, but i'll wager that guys who get into their thirties and want to take that shortcut get into synths and modular synths because now, it exists. they probably would've gone into some other hobby, but it's like some weird "taking what's mine!" thing, like they want to take back musical performance from rockers and artists. it's kind of an anti-art cultish thing. same with pedalfags. there's an ominous elephant in the room if you're an actual musician talking to them about stuff, where they're like, using this shit like a voodoo doll on the concept of artists.

Attached: gc vs local.jpg (455x640, 53K)

Gearfags are just the worst when you can actually play a real instrument without using crutches

Attached: attachment.jpg (578x768, 76K)

Summertime lover summertime loving give me one chance I'll treat you like a princess I'll show you my heart and I'll tell you all my secrets

does a lego figure really bother you that much

Yes. It's childish as fuck and is the last thing I'd want to look at or associate with the sounds of a modular. But hey, girls like Star Wars so that's probably a good way of picking up girls.

Maybe it's hard to make an ambient track that sounds bad, because most of the timbres are soft and tender to the ear. The slow tempo also invites you to improvise easily.

Nonetheless, nothing ensures that a pleasing ambient texture will make you keep coming back to it. An actually good ambient composition makes you wanna do that, not just any pad synth.