/jazz/

/jazz/ thread time
what y'all listening to?

Attached: Wayne-Shorter-The-All-Seeing-Eye-album-cover-web-optimised-820.jpg (820x820, 115K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ipohbylz7Z4
youtube.com/watch?v=TQtEFdyhgdE&list=5rn4dznj_QSrQlTnXoXeZ6Fr4a2EUhva
youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4vLEBxIo4
youtube.com/watch?v=UPMPye2gg3o
youtube.com/watch?v=06Qm-Z5OsHw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: ethiopiques.png (427x429, 358K)

Attached: 51lsu1HrchL._SS500.jpg (500x500, 30K)

any vocal jazz suggestions?

What did /jazz/ think of pic related?

Attached: Comet.jpg (800x800, 60K)

this, and it's pretty great

Attached: R-595240-1531499493-8256.jpeg.jpg (600x587, 148K)

What type? Classic Billie Holiday type stuff? Free jazz? Fusion?
This stuff can vary a lot.

that's just kinda like asking for jazz
because you can end up with stuff like Johnny Hartman or that album Neneh Cherry did with The Thing

okay i guess. not really my taste when it comes to jazz fusion.

s'alright
I feel like it's gonna be the jazz meme of 2019; not in that it's bad or anything, but that it's the only jazz album that people who aren't regular listeners, or really listeners at all, will know
like that Sons of Khemet album last year

I liked the electronic elements, but shabaka's sax is just boring and repetitive af, which is kind of album breaking since he's the lead
some of the faster and more electronic tracks are kinda fun, but the slower ones are just a general snoozefest
also the production is kinda muddy if I remember correctly

Attached: NancyCannonball.jpg (500x500, 29K)

Black frost is a jam

Attached: C5E45C11-0ED9-4BFF-A3F9-044F52833842.jpg (600x600, 112K)

i still love smooth jazz

is smooth free jazz a thing?

That would be an oxymoron since Smooth Jazz is supposed to be harmonically and rhythmically unadventurous so as to be more soothing.
You could use some of the timbral elements of smooth jazz like the cheesy synth patches and bland sax tone and just play free music with them but that isn't really smooth jazz any.
Alternative, less pedagogical answer, smooth free jazz made me think of:
youtube.com/watch?v=Ipohbylz7Z4
Cause it's got somewhat loose time but is almost easy listening.

lost half a sentence
> that isn't really smooth jazz any more than jazz with distorted guitars is rock/metal

thanks, that makes sense

im new to jazz, iunno. im mainly into rock, especially psychedelic rock, and contemporary folk music if that helps at all.

not sure about vocal, but try this if you want something a bit psychedelic with exotic folk music elements but still accessible:
youtube.com/watch?v=TQtEFdyhgdE&list=5rn4dznj_QSrQlTnXoXeZ6Fr4a2EUhva

Anybody got more like this?

Attached: R-1222074-1351092793-7805.jpeg.jpg (360x360, 53K)

i'll give this a try, thank you

Try the song linked here

freedom suite

Attached: LE.jpg (600x600, 97K)

I got through everything on this rec chart and I was not expecting to enjoy Saturn Sings as much as I did

Attached: 1564965062602.jpg (2160x4185, 2.21M)

im listening to the album right now and i'm enjoying it quite a lot so far, thank you for the recommendation

Anyone know any other jazz in this vein? Stuff with unusual instrumentation and approaches to improv/composing.

Attached: a0563920375_10.jpg (1200x1104, 321K)

no prob
check out spiritual jazz in general if you want more in this vein

How do OP swing so hard bros?

Attached: FBCD4F6C-DDCE-4650-9B88-B384D12DA05C.jpg (750x843, 386K)

For Free? - Kendrick Lamar

Listening to Agharta, it is amazing. On my way to Pangea, then Dark Magus, Live Evil and other shit

Any other anons also plan out what they're gonna listen to next? Jazz has so much good stuff I have to queue this shit up

as a jazz tourist, one of the best thing I've heard this year

Funny joke lol black people wow

I picked up a reissue of a rare giallo-soundtrack today, Eye of the Labyrinth. Really cool stuff if you like something more jazz-funk oriented.

I also picked up Cedar Walton / Hank Mobley Breakthrough, I havent heard it yet but you can't go wrong with theese two is what I figured.

how do we revive jazz, Yea Forums?

Love the early jazz messenger stuff. Have you heard a Monday night at birdland? Young lee Morgan mobley and Curtis Fuller all playing their asses off

Attached: file.png (600x600, 290K)

I haven't but I love Mobley on Byrd's Eye View for example. He's a great player.

I'm gonna check out your recommendation if I get the chance! I only play vinyl but it wasn't craxpensive so I'm gonna pick it up if I see it.

Been on a duo mood lately, recently gave Ralph Towner/Gary Burton - Matchbook a listen, utter classic. Also Oregon/Elvin Jones which is actually a quintet but fuck me if it's not great.

>implying it's dead

Attached: jazz is dead.png (640x360, 30K)

bump

That was probably the most legit mixing of jazz and rap together I've heard so far. I'm dying to find a group that does this as their thing - just a guy rapping over a post-bop rhythm section

Flying Lotus - You're Dead is prob your best shot at what you're looking for.
youtube.com/watch?v=2lXD0vv-ds8
youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4vLEBxIo4

By this chart's logic, classical music is the most commercially successful music genre. I'd be more interested to see how jazz does when all media are taken into account because this chart says more about the types of people who listen to these genres than it does about how good the music is or even how many people care.
That said, jazz isn't particularly suited to streaming services since it's such an album based format so I don't imagine sales figures there are phenonominal but I seriously doubt they're declining like physical sales. Jazz labels should start trying to lean more into vinyl.
Stepping back from that problem for a second though, sales figures don't imply quality and it's the adventurous, erudite and complex stuff that makes modern jazz special. It's music made for a small population that really loves it rather than a large population who will tolerate hearing it in a supermarket or on their drive to work.

you misread it; that was country music in the lead
jazz is literally the only genre on there to lower in digital album sales
even soundtracks increased in sales
jazz is very dead unfortunately

Who cares, you’re not going to revive it unless you do some “jazzy” bullshit. Jazz rap has been tried and basically done to death to the point it’s not a viable avenue for reviving jazz. Just listen to the music and see who you want to see. Popular music right now is slower songs you can dance too, no one wants to dance to Chris potter

Thanks for the rec. Good music but not at all what I'm looking for - it's why I haven't found anything that comes close to what I'm searching for. People always throw me rap with jazz but not rap IN jazz, if that makes sense.
I'm kicking myself in the nuts because someone on Yea Forums posted a youtube video of a live group doing exactly what I'm searching for but I never saved it

How could late 60's Wayne shorter be so based?

just passing by

Attached: R-93635-1497139174-2723.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 208K)

this album is really fucking good

Attached: 1157.jpg (471x471, 30K)

i thought that was a dick at the bottom at first

I still can't believe The All Seeing Eye and Speak No Evil are only a year apart

Listening to The Body's Mysteries, by Hermeto Pascoal. I recommend for people that want something new and patrician. It's impressive the amount of instruments he can play and the new techniques he develops.

youtube.com/watch?v=UPMPye2gg3o

>Hermeto Pascoal
based
youtube.com/watch?v=06Qm-Z5OsHw

Literally a magician.

i'm listening

Attached: The Newborn Touch.jpg (600x591, 91K)

Chris Potter is amazing

b-b-b-b-b-bump!

Gonna go give this a listen now I've seen it memed on here enough