The punk revolution turns out to be a non-starter

>the punk revolution turns out to be a non-starter
>Spends the entire 80s being spectacularly butthurt about how teen America had the nerve to listen to metal instead of what he told them to like
>like 90% of his favorite albums from that period are Afrobeats and the Replacements
Pretty sad desu.

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

What do you expect? Pompous fucks like him want to be the guys who define what cool and taste is. How dare someone disagree with them.

>punk eventually does get really popular
>but haha it's jocks and chads like blink 182
based

Actually even in NYC the typical working class teen didn't listen to the albums he was rec-ing back then, only if you were some junkie arts major from Soho.

>2019
>metal and progfag on Yea Forums spectacularly butthurt that teen America has the nerve to listen to hip-hop instead of what they tell them to like

I don't think white teens really listen to music at all these days or do anything but stare at their phones.

What do you think the Village Voice was targeted at? You had magazines like Circus and Creem if you were into metal.

>2019
You’re a bit too late on that. The whole “music wars” type thing where metal/classic rock fans attacked pop/hip-hop was a 2007-2012 thing

yeah idk. there's not really any particular big music movement that kids are into anymore. I think it's a thing of the past.

I bet you still think Justin Bieber memes are a thing.

>>Spends the entire 80s listening to both hip-hop and whatever African music he can get his hands on because he regrets his prior 70s attachment to country and great-songbook pop, apart from rock itself, which turned out firmly non-black, which he felt afterwards were not representative of black folks' musical endeavours

t. have read every single article on X's website

>metal
we don't care m8, you're reading YouTube comments too much

>spends 80s jerking muh black music
typical Christgau

>apart from rock itself, which turned out firmly non-black
Blacks didn't want to play it anymore. How is that white people's fault?

Also honestly why is the race of a rock group that big a deal anyway?

>because he regrets his prior 70s attachment to country and great-songbook pop
Uh...when was Cuckgau ever into Great American Songbook pop? 70s rock critics always said rock was supposed to kill off that stuff.

Wait... Operation ivy, bad brains, discharge, crass, conflict... uhh hol up... This guy was mad about what? 80s was a gold mine

Attached: Socks2_NO_HOTLINKING.jpg (600x450, 49K)

Honestly if you even know who this guy is I question your credibility.

I am so glad some jocks dunked his head in a toilet in middle school.

It was guys like him and their beloved Beatles and Dylan that removed any blackness from rock.

based

>2019
>Caring at all what teen America thinks about anything.
I don't blame them, but they are not exactly redeemable.

He was right about Pavement though.

Zoomers like Soundcloud rappers

Didn't Christgau hate Jimi Hendrix? Imagine making a career as a rock critic and not getting fucking Hendrix, of all things

Soundcloud rap peaked in 2017, it's about done by now.

Yes until Hendrix died and he had to suck his dick to fit in with the critical establishment.

Nah they're not that good.

Attached: robert christgau, aged 10.gif (480x360, 1.71M)

God bless James Chance for punching his smug face in.