Coffeehouse thread

promote friendly, soulful music discussion removed from irony and elitism. Coffeehouse threads are primarily for talking about recent listens, favorite albums/songs, recs, and getting to know eachother. These threads are most well suited to those with freetime or those browsing on desktop. Get to know eachother and have fun! I'll begin in my follow post :^)

Attached: 15665790298511918956862.jpg (3264x1836, 2.13M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ApuJTc6gmTE
youtu.be/4VfjON1iX6g
youtube.com/watch?v=m_iUe6qx6WU
youtube.com/watch?v=ylS0H6zQDho
youtu.be/-eBbgkoreGY
youtu.be/UI06pkc5LUg
ogodys.bandcamp.com/track/phase-iv
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw
youtube.com/watch?v=8SyFlRkC998
youtube.com/watch?v=4EuVyHrJJUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=bT9YWhH9A2M
youtube.com/watch?v=PE5TS-LTchw
youtube.com/watch?v=C_0mRquTHLU
youtube.com/watch?v=c2ek5nZAjVk
youtube.com/watch?v=9WTwsd25ga0
youtube.com/watch?v=-01k8eyv9Wc
youtube.com/watch?v=Fv-2XIhmxPE
youtu.be/4EDJmoGzYdc
open.spotify.com/user/dylandena/playlist/4gv1G5SJfeAgLOakYgSJWQ?si=Jmsd4ZidSLeeECt_rZV0nA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

My name is dylan. I work at starbucks and I am currently enrolled with a scholarship at a university in louisiana. Right now I am sipping a freshly pressed sumatra blend with newly ground cardamom sprinkled in for added flavor. I love american and european folk music and am listening the the acclaimed album, Ys, by Joanna Newsom. I recently came off a bob dylan and early Randy Newman kick and will now be listening to more artists like Kate Rusby, Vashti Bunyan, and so forth. I also love louisiana artists such as lawrence walker. I believe culture adds spice to music. Here is a song from louisiana's own, lawrence walker.
youtu.be/ApuJTc6gmTE
Here is also a song composed by another great Louisianaian
youtu.be/4VfjON1iX6g

>Right now I am sipping a freshly pressed sumatra blend with newly ground cardamom sprinkled in for added flavor
Jesus, it's just coffee lmao, no need to make it into some pretentious wine wankery.

dylan, would you let me blow you in front of your cute dog?

Its actually much more complex than that user. It certainly isn't rocket science, but regular coffee machines typically have paper filters which unfortunately filter out the oils of the coffee. This results in a much more bland taste compared to the french press. The difference in quality is beyond noticable especially if paired with the proper food items. I for one find that cinamon covered nuts go great with sumatra. But enough about coffee. What music do you enjoy user?

>sprinkling anything in your coffee
>starbucks

This is some top tier bait.

Oh my. How very nsfw, sir/madam. I am in a deeply committed relationship with a woman I love dearly. So no user, I am sorry. It is nothing personal of course. I hope you have a splendid day though

she is one lucky gal. cheers for the earnest response.

It is just a spice. It is very common in turkish coffee. I freshly grind my spices for each cup. Here is a picture of what I added today, though it only goes well with darker roasts. And user, I will admit, our coffee isn't exactly heaven-sent but it's certainly not the worst. I only tend to stick to their product because I get a free bag every week

Attached: 15665803790131919829234.jpg (3264x1836, 2.53M)

Well i just drink coffee in the morning to go from sleepy to not-sleepy, no need to go all out fancy mode.
I enjoy most music but mostly metal, surf, old hardcore and some electronic music (acid, old techno, gabber etc.) and some trad. folk.
Currently listening to pic, which is some instrumental psychedelic surf rock.

Attached: R-13956573-1564869953-9259.jpeg.jpg (488x432, 169K)

I've never seen a Starbucks roast that wasn't burt to shit.

Burnt*

I can understand why you add spice now if all you drink is Starbucks. Order some better beans to take home.

Do you enjoy godflesh? I'm not much of a metal fan but I thought their album, post-self, was enjoyable. I think you might like it. How do you feel about industrial? Because if you're curious early current 93 is fantastic as long as you don't mind heavy religious themes. The incredible string band have also put out some great psychedelic folk. Also cold brew will really wake you up in the morning if you want a kick. Canned or bottled, you cant go wrong with it
Thank you user :^)

...we're reaching post-autism society

Sick trips. But yea, I know what you mean. Not all of our roasts are like that. Its mainly our espresso roast and pike that tastes burnt. Right now I'm waiting for my classes to start so I know what books to buy, but after that I'm buying some yirgacheffe beans. I also use community coffee from time to time. Their coffee is not great but I use it because my family purchases it. Their Evangeline roadt is my favorite by them but even that isn't anything special

>Godflesh
Well no not really, nothing against them but i'm not that into industrial, few exceptions like this, industrial folkpunk band Big Fish. I will check out Current 93 (?).
youtube.com/watch?v=m_iUe6qx6WU
>Also cold brew will really wake you up in the morning
No need, winter is coming and winter where i live is cold, very cold, so going outside is like getting round-kicked in the face everyday for like 5 months a year.

Try the Ethiopian from Red Rooster if you get the chance. Throw it in an aeropress or iced coffee. It's fantastic

Well kind of I suppose. I noticed a lot of snarkiness, irony, and unironic posting of ironic content across the internet and this board. Therefore I decided it would be fun to make genuinely conversation. I of course am pulling my ideas from coffeehouse culture, but I believe this board could use a little fun :^)
But aside from that how was your day user, what have you taken to listening to recently?

>industrial folkpunk
user that's wonderful. I'm going to listen to them today as a fan of punk, folkpunk, folk, and industrial I do believe I will enjoy it; thank you. Also I feel you on the cold part. Here in louisiana it doesn't get too cold but its always so warm here that its hard when winter rolls around. Plus the humidity makes the cold air cling to your bones. Not fun. But at least there are christmas lights and that warm heater feeling to look forward to. That and less lawn mowing. Also there's nothing better than listening to nocturnes during a nightwalk in town during christmas time. I can't wait
Thank you for the suggestion. I'm adding it to my wishlist. After I purchase my books I'll give it a shot

Just finished washing my french press. Does anyone here enjoy classical, jazz, or prog? I personally like classical and some jazz, but anything outside of third stream really loses me. I also cant seem to enjoy prog outside of the bigger, more popular bands

You are welcome, Big Fish were one of a kind band.
Christmas is the dark time over here, the sun won't go above the horizon at all and temperatures can go down to below -40c, so not a fun time outside. The aurora borealis make up for it though.
Some folk prog like this, or the darker stuff like Goblin and Morte Macabre.
youtube.com/watch?v=ylS0H6zQDho

I got an embarrassing question to ask : How does one improve his songwriting skills ? Outside of lyrics, what are the main pillars that one should keep in mind when they're writing down a song.

This is a nice thread by the way OP.

I like it. It is vey groovy. At first I was on the fense but after the pickup around the first minute or so I was sold. youtu.be/-eBbgkoreGY
I listen to it a lot when it came out. It is some sort of prog, zhul, I believe it is called, but I find it rather enjoyable. I guess I like more fast-paced prog works which is odd given how much I enjoy kozelek's output. However, its so awesome that you get to see aurora borealis! I'd die to see it at least once. Is it peaceful there?

Thank you user. Personally, I find that living in the moment is the absolute best way to write. I suggest carrying a sketchpad with you and writing things down as soon as they come to you that way that initial creative spark doesn't get lost. I find that beginning with a vocal melody is the easiest approach. Also not being concerned with how your lyrics sound to other people is important all that matters is that you like what you're putting out. Spontaneousness is very important. You can start with singing covers of your favorite songs to get the mood going but whats most important is having fun. Here's something that I made, I know its not very impressive but I like it and had fun making it. youtu.be/UI06pkc5LUg
Good luck user, I hope this helps :^)

Thats actually a very based album user. And yeah, the genre is called Zeuhl. Check out the french band Magma's work if you find the time, they're pretty legendary.

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I forgot you said outside of lyrics. My bad user. As far as instrumentation goes I think what I said about being in the moment is extremely important. Whenever you feel a certain way its always a good idea to play you instrument in a way that lets you get your feelings out. For example, maybe playing more lagato notes if you're sad in a slower time signature or more staccato notes and maybe a minor chord if you're mad. Just play in a way to make you feel what you're already feeling but more and feed off of it in a sense. Playing by ear is my personal way of doing things and practicing. However, looking into theory if you haven't already is certainly advisable

This Koenji Hyakkei sounds kinda like the non-insane version of Ogo Dys which is totally bonkers.
Gonna dl this and listen to it in a bit.
Check out Ogo Dys if you want something wild.
ogodys.bandcamp.com/track/phase-iv
>However, its so awesome that you get to see aurora borealis! I'd die to see it at least once. Is it peaceful there?
It's the third most beautiful thing i've seen in my life. Seeing the waves of the aurora shimmering in the snow in green, yellow, blue and red is quite something. And you should go far north one day so you can see for yourself, it will be worth it. Depends on what you consider peaceful, i consider this to be paradise on earth, surrounded by lakes, rivers, forests, mountains, plenty of wildlife, silence and 0 light pollution.

Thanks for the advice user. And yeah I was thinking of taking up music theory and I know that its really useful but my god is it overwhelming. Doesn't help that I can't sing for shit lol.
I'll keep the spontaneity aspect in mind.

>the band tells the story of a group of people fleeing a doomed Earth to settle on the planet Kobaïa. Later, conflict arises when the Kobaïans—descendants of the original colonists—encounter other Earth refugees.
This is going to be fun. Appocolyptic themes and themes of a similar nature along with anything sci-fi is always a hoot. I'll be sure to drop a listen. I'm currently organizing a playlist of stuff from this thread. Can't wait to give these all a go
I consider the swamp and the park peaceful. Its so wonderful having people play with frisbies with their dogs all around and to see the gators at cyrpus late poke their little eyes out and cruise on by

Here is a link of an assortment of books from the classical threads containing books about theory, composition, and other things if you're willing to dive in. I, myself, have been meaning to for a while, but as you said it is indeed very overwhelming. I also feel you in regards to not liking your singing voice. I can't stand mine personally.
If anyone has any tips on singing this user and I would be very appreciative :^)

mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw
Forgot the link

No swamps here, we got something else (pic), kinda like wetlands/bogs more or less. Also i wouldn't play with my dog near fucking alligators, do burgers really do this? How many dogs get snatched by the gators each year?

Attached: BI8_suo_viiankiaapa_oharma_98A8585.jpg (800x533, 547K)

Posting in a faggot thread

Attached: tenor (1).gif (480x270, 1.48M)

Nooooo of course we don't play with our dogs by gators haha. No, I meant that I find parks and swaps to both be relaxing. They are of course different locations. I wouldn't let my dog anywhere near a gator

Phew, when it comes to burgers you never know.

GAY THREAD
DRAIN GANG SHIT SHIELD GANG SHIT GTBSG TAKE A KNIFE AND DRAIN YOUR LIFE HAHAHAHAH

Attached: fju2oryg79111.png (437x332, 322K)

Yea, I understand. I was talking to an elderly lady and her daughter who were from britain at the local walmart and they seemed absolutely baffled by everything in the states. It especially didn't help that this state is extra whacky, but yea they couldn't eat hardly any of the food, thry had to pay for stuff they didn't usually have to pay for, and just really found tons of everyday things to be quite the hassle. Do you enjoy reading?

I've taken to buying my own coffee beans. Level Ground Ethiopian blend. I blend it up into a fine powder and infuse it in water like a tea, but unlike coffee this is drinking the whole bean. I deeply steep this sludge mixture and blend it with a tablespoon of uncultured butter, and I infuse this with coconut sugar and 4 grams of nutmeg. That's Negro Cronk. Yerba - same process, except replace the nutmeg with some dried Coca leaves. That's Latino Cronk. Make a liter of each, combine them into an autistic 2 liter mega brew.
That mega brew is called Bolivian Django.
I drink about a liter of Bolivian Django per day these days.

Anyhow, some recent favorites....

youtube.com/watch?v=8SyFlRkC998

youtube.com/watch?v=4EuVyHrJJUQ

youtube.com/watch?v=bT9YWhH9A2M

youtube.com/watch?v=PE5TS-LTchw

Definitely in a deep house phase, rec me some great DnB like the top tune too.

The way of the burgers haha.
>Do you enjoy reading?
I do but the subject is usually history or morbid stuff.

Third worlder here. Are coffeehouses really that comfy of a place to relax in or is it just a nest of unlikeable people ? Same with book clubs ?

Got a little much free time eh OP?

Attached: a1979362420_10(2).jpg (1200x1200, 210K)

This maybe? I suck at electronical genres so dunno what this is really, a mix of styles.
youtube.com/watch?v=C_0mRquTHLU

Beautiful! Have you read les chants de maldoror? Current 93 pointed me to them and it was great morbid fun. If you haven't read it already I think you'd enjoy it. That book is french. There is an english translation of it that I find quite exceptional. This state was originally french land and owes a modest deal of its culture to france. As for history I too cant get enough of it

youtube.com/watch?v=c2ek5nZAjVk
youtube.com/watch?v=9WTwsd25ga0
youtube.com/watch?v=-01k8eyv9Wc
youtube.com/watch?v=Fv-2XIhmxPE

some of my favorites. Hope you enjoy user.

>a nest of unlikeable people
It is that exactly

Any of the English translations or a specific one? There is like six of them. By morbid i meant more like real religious death cults and such.

That last track is amazing. I can see why you're in a deep house phase. I wish I knew anything about the genre to rec you something. This is the closest thing to house I've really dug into
youtu.be/4EDJmoGzYdc

how third world are you

love aquarius and soichi my man, great stuff
not a big fan of FSL but Pal Joey's 1990-1993 comp is probably the best Deep House I've ever heard, there are multiple stellar tracks on it
All predates modern technology too, just a razor and reel-to-reel

Most of the people who come in are nice but there is a notable amount of absolutely detestable people that come in. One of my coworkers actually got spit on the other day. However, some customers are incredibly sweet and will get to know you on a level between a friendship and acquaintance-ship. So its a mix of both extremes honestly
I enjoy the Alexis Lykiard version. The maldoror and complete works collection is what I read it from

right across the mediterranean sea, on the coast.

>just a nest of unlikeable people
usually this, but finding the rare exceptional spot is worth it, getting fewer and further between these days

A little. I usually dont though. I actually am meeting up with my coworkers in a few. I'm going to get some rest before I head out. This was an amazing thread. I hope more like these sprout up, but I'm honestly kind of tired. I probably wont check back later since I go into work so early but I made a spotify playlist with most of the stuff mentioned itt. I only made it on spotify because my work gives me free premium but regardless, I hope you all enjoy. I think this thread did very well
open.spotify.com/user/dylandena/playlist/4gv1G5SJfeAgLOakYgSJWQ?si=Jmsd4ZidSLeeECt_rZV0nA
Bye all

Attached: 1565217888938.jpg (1080x1080, 291K)

You are the detestable one for working at that shithole. Theyre coffee tastes worse than my grandmas diarrhea

>Alexis Lykiard version
I'll write it down and look into it. Gotta run, thanks for the tunes and the book recommendation. Stay safe.

>this was an amazing thread
No it wasnt
>check out my playlist
No one will

find me arabic vinyl and 78s and you won't be so third world :)

seriously though hit me the fuck up i will pay u

i wish i had some of that stuff man, haven't had much luck so far.

meanie poop

will persian sleaze disco funk do?