Remember in the 00s when so many socially and politically conscious rappers would make the black community itself the...

Remember in the 00s when so many socially and politically conscious rappers would make the black community itself the target of most of their criticism? It was all about stop killing each other, start respecting each other, helping each other, etc.

Fast forward 10-15 years and the message is pretty much nowhere to be heard in mainstream media. In fact, rappers got crucified during BLM for saying that the #1 threat to black lives were not police, but other black lives (and they were right, like, statistically).

What caused this change? It's not like the previous issues have been solved. Have the activists maybe, just maybe, recognized that telling the black community to improve themselves is a waste of time, and decide to, instead, blaming white people for everything? Is there a sad acceptance of defeat behind the change in rhetoric?

Attached: saul-williams-1-sized.jpg (245x325, 17K)

>so why did i weep when trayvon martin was in the street
>when gangbangin made me kill a nigga blacker than me?; hypocrite
nice try /pol/tard

Stopped falling for your damage control shit and realized what was up regarding the white supremacist system

>the extent of Kendrick's depth and nuance is lame response to a fox news talking point
TPAB truly is the greatest work of popular music ever made.

Societal problems can't be wished away by telling everyone to behave, because people are products of faulty social systems. Not that your dumb ass ever listened to Digable Planets or you'd realise that actual social critique in hip-hop is not a recent phenomenon

>Societal problems can't be wished away by telling everyone to behave, because people are products of faulty social systems
Then what's the point of the constant language and behavior police? Is telling white people not to wear dreadlocks and other idiotic shit like that going to fix "faulty social systems"?

>Not that your dumb ass ever listened to Digable Planets or you'd realise that actual social critique in hip-hop is not a recent phenomenon
The thread is literally about a previous generation of activism in hip hop. You're probably not smart and you're insecure in your ideas, which is why you start throwing insults and temper tantrums like a kid as a reflexive response.

>Then what's the point of the constant language and behavior police? Is telling white people not to wear dreadlocks and other idiotic shit like that going to fix "faulty social systems"?
It sounds like you're conflating "woke liberals" with the populist left.

yeah no but thanks for the input

Shitting on white people for having dreads isn't the same thing as addressing the systematic violence brought on by police.

This.

"The oppressed just need better values and then they won't be oppressed any more" mindset has been proven false again and again. "Pull up your pants black boy" is the equivalent of a millionaire telling a person working for slave wages that his poverty is due to the fact he lacks basic morality, rather than, say, the wages aren't high enough.

You literally just implied that addressing systematic violence is "wishing away societal problems by telling everyone to behave".

>Remember in the 00s
yeah
>when so many socially and politically conscious rappers would make the black community itself the target of most of their criticism? It was all about stop killing each other, start respecting each other, helping each other, etc.

REAL REAL NIGGA BELIVEA BEATIN' HOES DOWN
PUSH HER HEAD THRU THE WALL TILL YOU HEAR THA CRACKIN' SOUND

>"The oppressed just need better values and then they won't be oppressed any more" mindset has been proven false again and again.
Black people aren't oppressed.

>"Pull up your pants black boy" is the equivalent of a millionaire telling a person working for slave wages that his poverty is due to the fact he lacks basic morality, rather than, say, the wages aren't high enough.
First of all that's an awfully retarded comparison, second of all that mindset basically translates to saying they're above criticism. Criticism by others or SELF-criticism, above all. There's zero chance of improvement for any groups that thinks like that.

Stop pretending there's anything meaningfully different between le new left commies and woke liberals beyond theory and who they'd prefer to vote for.

There's too many people that have been jewed, and sadly, some of them even take pride in it.

>remember when blacks were based and ignored systemic racism
yeah, those were truly cucked times.

Man, whoever taught high functioning retards to drop the words systemic and structural at every sentence has a special place in Hell.

>Man, whoever taught people the proper vocabulary to talk about the things they experience in life has a special place in Hell.

In the US, there really isn't. It's mostly rhetorical.

What I find particularly funny is that a lot of young americans have been turning to Left-wing politics because they're deep in debt and can't afford a lot of things, but they allowed their braindead identity politics to take over and now the only real big change that happened since 2016 is that Reparations for black people is being discussed by top Democrats.

If kids turn Left because they want health care and college to be affordable and they end up actually having to *pay* more, that will be priceless. A cautionary tale for the rest of the world, at least.

>Remember in the 00s when so many socially and politically conscious rappers would make the black community itself the target of most of their criticism? It was all about stop killing each other, start respecting each other, helping each other, etc.
Conscious rappers back then talked mostly about the systemic oppression of their people and while this was on going they also emphasized is a sense of self responsibility to be had the majority of the qualms was with the american government and white people in general.
>Fast forward 10-15 years and the message is pretty much nowhere to be heard in mainstream media. In fact, rappers got crucified during BLM for saying that the #1 threat to black lives were not police, but other black lives (and they were right, like, statistically).
Some modern conscious rappers are J. Cole YBN Cordae J ID Kendrick Lamar Joyner Lucas maybe logic and a bunch others I cant name off the top my head. There’s a whole group of conscious rappers right now it’s just that most of them are corny. The only rapper to say that we have to stop killing each other before we talk about police brutality was A$AP Rocky and he was rightfully criticized for that.
>What caused this change? It's not like the previous issues have been solved. Have the activists maybe, just maybe, recognized that telling the black community to improve themselves is a waste of time, and decide to, instead, blaming white people for everything? Is there a sad acceptance of defeat behind the change in rhetoric?
This is a very thinly veiled /pol/ thread but I do want you to know that you’re ignorant, baiting an overall retarded.

But I will say that political music does thrive on a sense of persecution and a need to express their anger and passion.

>OP didn't listen to Lost Tapes 2
I have come to the conclusion that Nas is one of the very few elite rappers who gets better with age. Most rappers never make anything better than their first album (with some outliers). Nas is speaking powerful stuff while still staying true to his roots

Don't believe me, listen to "Who are You" from his latest project. Nas actually made me like some trap style beats which I didn't even think was possible.

>greentexting and addressing entire passages to say absolutely nothing
cool i guess

nas is washed up as FUCK, he should've retired after the Jay z beef

Millionaires are the ones forcing these shitty values onto black people. It's not about individual behavior, it's about preventing a culture from being enforced upon a people as you can see on Twitter with these obsessive appeals to "blackness".

This is one of those comments with so little substance I can't tell if troll or not, but I will respond seriously anyways. Nas is so far ahead of every other newbie rapper out right now it isn't comparable.

That was a lot of premise for such a shitty comment

Stop using words you don't understand dawg. Nas is goat and all other are goat lickers. Nahmean?

>Nas is so far ahead of every other newbie rapper out right now it isn't comparable.
false equivalence because nas makes grown man rap music, not melodic kid shit that we hear every day. If you compare him to his peers, he has one of the more mediocre discographies in rap music considering how monumental of an impact his debut and subsequent followups made.

in 2019, jayz or ghostface or andre 3000 or any other rapper from the 90s all are doing better than Nas, except the notable hasbeens like eminem. They have a discography thats more consistently above average. Their rapping ability hasnt faltered after all these years, cant say the same for Nas. He sounded fucking crazy on the kanye project last year, on top of that he wasnt even saying anything remotely interesting or profound. kanye even washed him on cops shot the kid.

Nas is washed, he should've retired after the Jayz beef

replied to wrong user

I spoke to some black kids from the ghetto the other day and I asked them about Nas and they all said "who the fuck is Nas?"

True story

i spoke to some black folk from the ghetto the other day and i asked them about nas and they all said "would you like a bean pie, brother?"

true story

>bringing up faux beefs
Ether.
>ghostface doing better than nas in 2019
>ghostface consistent
I hate this meme. And I am saying that as someone who is wearing wu tang art around his neck right now. I am wu tang till the very end but gfk is not my favorite and he isn't consistently killing it like everyone always says he is, the man just does a lot of projects. Truth be told he is always better with someone else on a track with him.

Nas is fucking amazing you are a pleb for not getting that. I bet you haven't heard LT2 but you are saying he is washed. Wrong isn't even the word to describe it. Ignorance bordering on disrespect.

>"would you like a bean pie, brother?"
I've heard that these are good. How do I go about getting one as a yt?