Tfw can't listen to music for anything other than catchy beats or melodies that are fun to sing along to

>tfw can't listen to music for anything other than catchy beats or melodies that are fun to sing along to

how do I get better taste?

Attached: 1484160155398.jpg (645x968, 47K)

Masturbate

Don't. It's totally possible you just don't have taste, and that's perfectly okay

it's the implication that there isn't good pop music that makes you a brainlet

You just don't have a brain. Taste is something you have to develop. Nobody is born with or without taste.

You don't have to. Why the fuck do you care about others and what they think you should listen to?

What kind of music are we talking about, here? Literally top 40 pop music or what?

there's literally nothing wrong with that

Why? Aren't you having fun?

>listening to music because you think it makes you intelligent.

Top 40, alternative and indie rock and pop, some hip-hop if it has a catchy beat, I don't like jazz or classical or weird experimental music. I unironically listen to the radio, just general "pop hits" stations. Mostly CBC and our local college station because they have no ads, but if what they're playing isn't what I like I'll turn to the general rock and pop stations.

I'm having fun, but I'm worried it's ruining my brain, like it's just an empty drug, while people with patrician tastes are smarter than me and they understand something that I don't get.

Move out by steps. Dark Side of the Moon--> Surrealistic Pillow--> The Velvet Underground and Nico--> Trout Mask Replica. Boom, four psychedelic-ish albums and you've got your foot in the door.

Seriously, just listen to those albums all the way through, once or twice each, in that order. Read the Wikipedia pages. If you get to one you don't like, go back to the one below it, look for similar bands based on Spotify recs and Wikipedia, then try the hard one again in a couple days.

Dark side of the moon is the perfect intro, because it's basically the sounds you hear in the womb or in everyday life. Everybody likes it, that's why stoner dads give it to their 12 year old sons to introduce them to the idea of "music".

After trout mask, fuck with the really weird stuff you find on here. It's not really that weird, but it makes a lot of stuff make sense because of how it lays it all out.

that IS good taste

Just keep listening to music and eventually you will get bored of your current tastes and move onto other more interesting stuff

Listen to this on full volume

Attached: Folder.jpg (500x496, 228K)

Dark Side bores me to sleep. I like some Velvet Underground but I can't into their long noisy jams. I can't into TMR at all. Never heard the Jefferson Airplane one before.

Idk if you're OP, but you gotta listen to them til you like them. If you don't like them, you're not done with them.

you don't need to force yourself to listen to music you don't like. you can zero in on a particular genre , let's say vocal pop, and dig there. start from people who influenced your favourite artists. as you listen to more music you'll begin to identify things you like more clearly, making it easier to dig even deeper or maybe try to find similar sounding music belonging to other genres. developing a taste doesn't mean listening to jazz or experimental music, it means finding your own niche
or you could just become a film buff instead, idk

>Dark side bores me to sleep.
No need to worry OP your clearly patrician as fuck

Listen to this

Attached: )).jpg (600x600, 35K)

Embrace 80s pop and work backwards.
I'm currently loving me some Earth Wind and Fire and Jackson 5 right now.

yeah you need to ease yourself into liking complete garbage. listen to faust on and off for a year and it'll begin to sound catchy.

There is no bad or good music. Music is just music. Some people prefer gusic, some cuusic. We are all different and its just air vibrations or something you know.

You don't, if catchy beats and melodies are what your into you can expand your taste into genres/albums that focus on this, enjoy what you like OP.