Anyone else start preferring the mono mixes as they got older...

Anyone else start preferring the mono mixes as they got older? There's something nice about have the punchy central mix right in the center instead of spaced out vocals on the left and drums on the right. I replaced all my beatles stereo versions on my ipod with the mono ones and havent looked back

Attached: 220px-The_Beatles_-_Mono_Masters.jpg (220x220, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UPBd8eHQqIw
youtube.com/watch?v=nGRoSJaz-nw&list=PLtistsHOEKiyebgKTIWAeMa5ngRgny_yr&index=5
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Beatles on vinyl in mono is a magical thing.

Was he really the walrus?

Canonically? Yes I believe he was

best mono albums
revolver
magical mystery tour
white album

sgt pepper is 50.50 because of all the variety of instrumentation can get lost in the mono mix

>well here's another clue for you all
>the walrus was Paul!

-Glass Onion 1968

Mono is exclusively the way to go for all of their works released in Mono first- I think it was everything up to their last three albums, if I remember correctly. The Mono mixes are so much more lively and full and punchy, as you said. There's something missing in the Stereo mixes of their albums.

He later said that he was actually the walrus and he only said that Paul was the walrus to be polite.

Once you get really good headphones that don't crush the low and high frequencies together, mono mixes are always excellent to listen to. Otherwise it sounds muffled and weak instead of loud and forceful (as intended).

technically if you watch the Walrus music video, the guy holding the bass guitar isnt weairing the Walrus suit

There stereo mixes were always made after the mono mixes, and they were usually all completed in single session by engineers without supervision from the Beatles or George Martin. Stereo was only big in the US at the point, so it was treated as a novelty in the UK until they began to hear some of the more professionally mixed stereo releases from the US around 1967-1968.

Are there any GOOD stereo mixed albums from that time? (that didnt already start in mono and just re-mixed to stereo)

>There stereo mixes were always made after the mono mixes, and they were usually all completed in single session by engineers without supervision from the Beatles or George Martin
I knew that was the case for most of their albums, but I thought that the White Album and onwards were purposefully recorded in Stereo by the Beatles/George Martin themselves.

side note, Revolution 9 was the only unmodifed stereo-->mono track. its just a straight up fold-down

The only Beatles track made for stereo at that point was Revolution 9, because it was mixed in stereo in a single take, live.

You think of Abbey Road and Let it Be

days of future passed

Every album up to Sgt Pepper's is better in mono.

>Anyone else start preferring the mono mixes as they got older?
Oh, so you just developed a modicum of taste? Mono is the definitive way to hear all music up until 1968 at the earliest, but I draw the line at 1969.

ok music expert

Gatekeeping is good for people. Glad you finally heard it the way it was meant to be heard ;)

anyone have a link to the Beatles in Mono? I've been wanting to listen to them in mono for awhile now. Please help a dumb man Yea Forums

rutracker

\i already bought like 3 stereo mixes back when i was a vinyl beginner rip

>and drums on the right

Who doesn't hate this? Taxman is ruined by the stupid mixing.

Almost all 60's Rock records sound better on Mono but starting from the '70s onwards it's Stereo for me.

Beatles only cared about Mono. Was really made in mind to be Stereo but because it was made in mono that's how it was intended to be presented this well laid wall of sound. Mono also helps to weed out phasing issues and clashing as all the sounds are together. more concise.

I prefer them just because the stereo mixes are so annoying with headphones. Have you tried listening to the stereo Taxman with headphones? it's awful.

WUN TWOO TREE FOUUR

for me it's the 50th anniversary remixes

When Bowie recorded Space Oddity in 69 he had to have a fight with his label because they demanded the album be in mono because "stereo would never catch on" and Bowie told them they were all retarded. It's not so much a Beatles only care about mono, it's that mono was the dominant accessible technology at that time. Just like how it took a number of years for VHS to be phased out once DVDs became readily accessible and cheap.

>childhood is enjoying decent production
>adulthood is liking an objectively worse mix
Not buying this OP

Attached: 1432724756686s.jpg (250x241, 7K)

Good stereo > good mono > bad stereo > bad mono. Beatles is good mono or bad stereo.

>stereo
>decent production

Go put your hearing aid in gramps, then maybe you'll hear how stereo Beatles are objectively better than mono Beatles. The beatles albums released in mono are all shit, btw.

youtube.com/watch?v=UPBd8eHQqIw
if you think this is good you are a legit retard. the left channel has the bass, drums and 2 harpsichords all hard panned. the right channel doesn't have anything untill the backing vocals or electric guitar come in. the mix is unbalanced, wimpy and has no detail to it.

youtube.com/watch?v=nGRoSJaz-nw&list=PLtistsHOEKiyebgKTIWAeMa5ngRgny_yr&index=5 mono speaks for itself

>Beatles in stereo = better production
You're a fucking moron who has no idea what they're talking about. The cleaner and crisper sound you hear in stereo has nothing to do with the production at all, it has to do with the fact that the frequencies are separated through panning so there is less natural distortion from overloading the drivers. This has absolutely nothing to do with production and everything to do with the simple fact that it's mono vs. stereo. The more you try to fit through in mono the more distortion will occur. This is why the White Album nearly sounds lofi at points because there is so much competition for the frequency space that everything is being pushed through that it creates a natural warm distortion and reduces the low/high ends of certain sounds.

Even if his hearing aids aren't working, your brain clearly fucking doesn't.

>Sgt. Shitters Lonely Shits Shit Band
This album is terrible in mono or stereo, it's just bad overall.

They all took turns being the walrus just to fuck with people

Their first two albums are essential to be heard in mono because with 2-track recording the stereo panning was the worst of their career.

he isn't talking about panning, he is talking about how the sound is actually produced. I explained why he thinks this (and is wrong)

>mono is worse than stereo
>that makes it better than stereo
Take your meds schizo

the mono is actually one of the best mono mixes ever made. the album simply could not sound better in a single channel.
the stereo on the other had gets beaten out by shit from the 50s.

both versions are made using the SAME tapes no? the production is exactly the same, the only thing that differs like says is how its mixed and finally outputted

Is the stereo objectively closer to the actual sound? Yes. Does that make it better? No Is that how it was historically experienced? No. There is a lot of interesting artifacts that are the result of the mono mixing that is 100% intentional. If you listen in stereo you're not going to really understand how psychedelic their music was and end up calling some two-bit awful psych band with like 13 fans at the time "important" and "way better than the beatles" and you'd be wrong, and retarded (again).

>both versions are made using the SAME tapes no?
in some cases, but not all. The Beatles would actually often use other takes for the stereo albums than they would for the mono, and the same for the US vs. UK records. There is shockingly little consistency with it. What is widely considered canon are the UK mono mixes.

>the beatles
>good

Attached: 1553633827999_0.png (2906x1704, 1.7M)

You don't have to like them, but if you're going to argue their importance then you're objectively retarded. No band at the time commanded more money and changed the face of popular music, nor has any band since, arguably.

>changed the face of popular music

Attached: images (1).png (225x224, 9K)

>the album was always the gold-standard by which music was judged
They changed that and we're still dealing with it, so yes.

Dude what are you even talking about

Attached: images (4).jpg (179x282, 8K)

The 2017 stereo remix makes both irrelevant and obsolete. The entire Beatles catalog needs to be remixed by Giles Martin.

yes, but then you miss a lot of the intentional natural artifacts that come from the mono recordings. While the White Album 2018 stereo mix sounds exquisite, I can't bear it without the natural distortion I've known for years creating that warm tone throughout it. Same with the blending of sounds creating a more psychedelic atmosphere for material like It's All Too Much, Blue Jay Way, and Tomorrow Never Knows. Granted they haven't gotten the Giles treatment yet, I think something would be lost in the process.

>muh artifacts!
Yeah, ok Doctor Jones, dont you have a tomb to raid ?

Considering it's a completely different listening experience that accentuates different qualities on White Album....are you retarded? I'm not saying one is better than the other, just that they're different. White Album Giles mix sounds amazing, it's just not what I want out of the experience. Other people will feel differently, it's a good mix.

For me Giles fucked up Wild Honey Pie by putting the twangy weird guitar way too high on the mix

Yeah some of the Giles mixes were like "oh wow, Martin REALLY did a lot in the orchestration on this record and it's just totally buried in mono" But other tracks I'm just like, "the energy feels like it was sucked out of this. It's beautiful, but feels weaker."

Abbey Road was mixed in stereo by the band/Martin, pretty sure it didn't even have a mono release. Easily the best sounding album of that era. Dunno how much the new mix is going to improve it compared to the White Album/Sgt Pepper though