How come so many pop music icons can get away with knowing jack shit about theory? Film, Literature, art...

How come so many pop music icons can get away with knowing jack shit about theory? Film, Literature, art, and other iconic geniuses in those fields are super autistic about their craft. But people like The Beatles can write complex pieces of art rock and literally not know what they were doing.
Are people just born being good at music? I don't get it.

Attached: c8b4d9b5dbe6ceaf6e877bf71a54a551.jpg (236x359, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5Pf19jV1NYw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Everybody knew what they were doing. Improvisation is a part of every art and a essential component of performance.
And I think all of The Beatles knew theory and have been writing songs for a decade before they started doing complex art rock.

personal affinities towards certain things are natural tho

In music it’s easier to recognize patterns, imitate other pieces of music, as well as figure out cool stuff through trial and error. But if you look at actual art music you would realize that the real greats are just as autistic as those in literature and shit

You can play random notes and it's an atonal piece with complex time signatures. An equivalent isn't possible in film or literature.

It is very similar in film desu.

In music, if you keep to theory and standard musical practices, I think at some point, it becomes like a dog on a leash. It limits you. In the 70s and 80s, I wrote songs. I knew how they went in my head, but I didn't know chords and notes and what key a song was in and so on. What I did was I had a friend who was classically trained and knew all that stuff. We would sit at his piano and I would sing the songs to him. He would then pick out the chords on the piano. I might say, "That's too low. Go up a little." Things to guide him. Usually, he'd have it down in like 5 minutes. We actually shopped the songs around to publishing houses in NYC. Some nibbles, but no bites.

Anyway, I totally get when people like The Beatles come along and are more or less doing it on feel. Glen Campbell was an L.A. first-call session guitarist in the 60s. He literally could not read music. Yet, he played for Sinatra, the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, the Phil Spector stable of artists, and eventually himself. He would go to a session, watch what the other musicians were playing, and then start playing along until he settled into it.

I think you get a certain "oneness" with your instrument when you learn playing like that rather than reading it off a paper.

because people who push music theory just use it as a scapegoat

it's anti music

music is all about "feel" it's why black people and women do it especially well due to high estrogen and why the more brutal death metal music acts are almost all exclusively white guys

Attached: 1565307153777.png (329x346, 128K)

going too deep into theory just teaches you to reproduce the past over and over, I think you can "learn" creativity but it's through rigid theory
it's true for film too, sure there's more technical skill required by the nature of film, but if you use every shot for its intended film-school purpose and rely on standard plot structures (or plot strcutures at all), you're going to make shit films, no matter how much technical ability you have

based retard poster

Explain Jazz faggot.

He’s right though. Music is a fluid language and you can speak it many different ways. It isn’t as cookie cutter as many people make it out to be.

don't hit the butter notes

dick

>music is all about "feel" it's why black people and women do it especially well

i did

music theory is a framework for conceptually understanding the sounds and ideas people like to hear. Most people will just figure it out even if they haven't 'learned' it. Find a guitarist with no music theory knowledge, play a chord pattern in the key of a major, and theyll solo over it in the key of a major even if they don't realize theyre doing so.

So you don't know what you're talking about?

Music theory is nothing more than a language used to communicate different musical ideas and strategies that already exist or could theoretically exist. Muh music theory is the biggest fucking meme on this board because there is this assumption that "great musicians know music theory and (((incorporate))) it into their music" when in reality, great musicians know MUSIC really well and can put together MUSICAL concepts and ideas in a way that elicits emotion in themselves and others. Saying a band "didn't know music theory" is a meaningless statement because every person who plays an instrument or can sing a melody has a foundational concept of musical theory. Would Yea Forums respect the Beatles more if they wrote jazz or metal because they were more heavy (((incorporators))) of muh theory?

Certain genres call for different musical constructs, all which can be identified via theory, and those genres can be made more interesting by pulling constructs from outside genres. But simply knowing all the tools in the toolkit by name doesn't mean a musician can effectively use them to create a new, interesting, and emotional sound. And that is where (((feel))) comes in. All the music constructs which can be identified by theory can also be identified by sound and by feeling. That is, if you know how a particular device sounds and feels, you don't necessarily need to know what it is called to utilize it effectively. "B-b-but that's what I meant from the start, user! The Beatles hardly used any unique and interesting musical ideas!" Id beg to differ.

see
youtube.com/watch?v=5Pf19jV1NYw

@5:00 and 10:50

Paul McCartney really doesn't know that much music theory at all

>black people and women do it especially well due to high estrogen
Imagining a conspiracy theorist who believes that black men have a good sense of rhythm and are better at jumping because the government is contaminating the water with estrogen in the ghetto

You never tried to read finnegans wake I guess.

Hint: It's not actually particularly complex music

Finnegan's Wake isn't random though, it just seems that way because you don't have the specific base of knowledge that Joyce has or anything close to it

Music theory is descriptive, not perscriptive. When you have a Hendrix, a true original, you let him do his thing and the critics and music professors will spend the next few decades picking up the pieces, codifying it, and integrating it into the existing body of music theory.

Attached: 1545668105180.jpg (675x761, 72K)

Because everything you just said about "Theory", "Craft", "Genius", etc, is masturbatory bullshit.

Of course he's being humble... Surely you don't actually believe that he couldn't tell you the diatonic chords in Gb major, or play a C#maj7 without having to think about it. Use your brain amigo.

Attached: 1564428757875.jpg (200x200, 42K)

No you dolt don't you realize that the best musicians don't know dick about music? They all just meet up and say "hey guys, I know we are just jamming together for the first time, but everyone jackoff into their instrument and I'm sure it'll turn out great. And remember to have fun and not get your feelings hurt!"