Controversial opinion:

Controversial opinion:
Can isn't krautrock. It's just normal experimental rock

Discuss. Prove me wrong

Attached: 220px-Can_-_Tago_Mago.jpg (220x220, 34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQTmhqytE0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

isn't krautrock just German experimental rock from a specific stretch of time?

well yeah... krautrock is just experimental rock music made in germany.

Controversial opinion:
Rock never has and never will be "experimental"

Discuss. Prove me wrong

Attached: John-Coltrane-A-Love-Supreme-album-cover-detail.jpg (1000x600, 69K)

It is.
OP is just a faggot.

Some people count literally every German 70s rock artist or group as krautrock

it's don't. Krautrock has a very specific sound and I could tell if a song is krautrock or not within the first 30 seconds

If you cant tell if a song is krautrock straight away, you are a pseud faggot who doesnt know krautrock

of course it has a distinct sound, but american experimental music from the 90's also has a distinct sound, krautrock is just a phase that was notable enough to be given a name.

you're literally retarded

look at the pseuds getting all triggered. cute

>people are saying i'm wrong
>look at these pseuds not being as smart as I am

Attached: 1511702850407.jpg (1218x1015, 212K)

it is. It was a term made up by British music critics to pigeonhole everything going on in Germany at the time into one specific term. Krautrock can mean everything from Grateful Dead ripoff with a synthesizer player to full on synth wank Stockhausen wannabes. If you were a jam band and made even slightly psychedelic music and were from Germany in the late 60's and early 70's, you were krautrock. Amon Duul II sounds absolutely nothing like Tangerine Dream, but that's just how things worked out.

krautrock was the blanket term the UK press came up for the unique music coming out of germany in the late 60's / early 70's. there has never been a definite krautrock sound you fucking moron

>pioneers the motorik drum beat
>not krautrock
do you people even think before spewing garbage

define the krautrock sound if you don't mind

This, it was a joke term that happened to stick. Although considering the sheer amount of fantastic experimental rock which came out of Deutschland in the period it was always going to have become its own classification/genre.

This is correct, OP is wrong.

He probably thinks every band that doesn't sound like Neu! isn't krautrock.

Tago Mago is admittedly mostly just “Experimental Rock” but Soundtracks and Future Days are definitely Krautrock

if it´s produced by Conny Plank damn right it´s krautrock

it actually amazes how many people like this exist. they think they don't need to look up the well documented meaning behind the labels for specific movements in music but instead just assume that shit like No Wave and Krautrock have a defined sound and assign it to anything that they think fits that sound

Wtf are you assuming bitch?

Motorik Beat is possibly the most important element of Krautrock yet I haven’t heard you mention it once. Tago Mago goes into deeper states of experimentation than CAN’s other albums 1969-1974.

Bitch

read the thread
motorik isn't a requisite for Krautrock whatsoever you simpleton.

Electronic keyboards joined guitar noise on Loveless (1991), the ultimate exploration of textures in rock music. Its stunning chaos can be viewed both as an enraptured "om" to the universe or as a deranged scream in a madman's cell or as a terrified paralysis in the face of a supernatural force. The album changed the meaning of the word "music" by proving the equivalence between "noisy" and 'symphonic", the same way that Einstein proved the equivalence between inertial and gravitational mass.

Stuff like Tangerine Dream is actually Progressive Electronic. I don’t care that racist British music critics from the early 70’s pigeonholed the music. That was then. ThIS IS NOW. Now that we’ve had 40 years to let the genre sit, there’s a lot that you can learn kid. of Krautrock that live on past that era (Stereo-lab, Tortoise, Avec le Soliel).

pretty much. Kind of like how Grunge just means 90's alternative rock from Seattle

Kraftwerk is labeled one of the big 4 or 5 Krautrock groups, but in actuality only their first 3 albums count,

since you are the only one on the planet who knows what Krautrock is then perhaps you can give an exact definition.

A Swedish journalist labeled a synth-pop song from Trans-Europe Express "Krautrock" in an article just a week ago or something.

I emailed him and explained that he made an error he was all "what are you talking about lol"

regardless...Trans Europa Express is a fucking masterpiece

what are your favorite synthpop albums? I find Gentlemen Take Polaroids by Japan, and Quartet by Ultravox, are rather overlooked

>Tangerine Dream
>Progressive Electronic
they are actually Berlin School. you don't know anything but please, continue to flaunt your ignorance

>defining music

What are you a scientist

I study electrical engineering, I like definitions. If OP doesn't agree with the general definition he has to provide his own definition, if he can't then his thread is garbage.

I haven't listened much to synth-pop desu but I do love this song!

youtube.com/watch?v=ZYQTmhqytE0

krautrock was made by rockers who ate a lot of sauerkraut. it was a cultural thing, ja?

Attached: sauerkraut.jpg (704x396, 44K)

Well who is then? Faust? They are also experimental rock then. Amon duul? They are more psych/prog. Popol Vuh? They are synth.

Tan Dream and Klaus Schulze are part of the larger “Progressive-Electronic” genre. Berlin School is more of a regional name for the genre and the culture of electronic music and synthesis at this time in Berlin.

krautrock isn't a genre, though. It was a catchall term for experimental German rock bands from the late 60's and early 70's. There's no "krautrock sound," and a band cannot be krautrock unless it was a German band from the late 60's and early 70's. Stereolab, Tortoise, Avec le Soliel, ect aren't krautrock, because they aren't from Germany nor are they from that time period. They heavily implemented ideas from German bands of that time period into their music, but they aren't those bands. Krautrock cannot sit and evolve and gain a defining sound, because it is not a genre of music. It is a descriptive term for a place and time in the experimental rock canon.

playing devil's advocate here, but how would you classify today's say american band playing exclusively Can and Faust covers?

false equivalence

even if this is probably bait this made me legit mad

But aren’t elements like Motorik Beat and Mellotrons enough to give “Krautrock” a general sound? Is right that bands like Amon Duul are more of a Psych band and that a band like Popol Vuh is more Modern Classical, but to be fair I never considered those acts Krautrock

motorik sound is a style of rock music pioneered by bands described as krautrock
and even if you describe krautrock as motorik oritented rock, can is still one of the most important bands of krautrock and jaki liebezeit was one of the most skilled motorik drummers, especially on future days or monster movie for example

how do you lack basic reading comprehension this fucking much? THERE IS NO GENERAL SOUND, IT'S A CATCHALL TERM FOR MUSIC FROM A SPECIFIC PLACE DURING A SPECIFIC TIME AND THE ONLY QUALIFIER WAS THAT IT WAS UNIQUE (UNIQUE HERE MEANING SOMETHING NEW WITH LITTLE TO NO PRECEDENT)- NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS. in post-WWII germany there were germans that wanted to make a break from the past across several artistic mediums and the only way to do that is to make something that the world hadn't experienced before and that didn't owe or reference whatever was happening anywhere else in the world

They wouldn't be krautrock, because krautrock isn't a genre of music. Can and Faust were psych rock jam bands, primarily, obviously with experimental tendencies and focuses on sound collages, loops, tape manipulation, hypnotic rhythms, building atmosphere and texture, and lengthy improvised freak-outs. That would make the band covering them a psych rock jam band as well. I would probably just call a Can cover band a Can cover band and a Faust cover band a Faust cover band, though. Maybe it would be alright to call them a krautrock cover band, though, because it isn't a genre, but it is a descriptor for a bunch of different sounds and scenes from a specific place and time. If the band strictly covered songs from bands and artists of those sounds and scenes from that specific place and time, it would be fitting to call them a cover band of those artists and therefore a cover band of that specific place and time. The distinction being that they're a cover band and not the bands themselves. Therefore they are a krautrock cover band, not krautrock. There's my mental gymnastics.

German Krautrock: Amon Duul II
Non-German Krautrock: Hapshash
German Non-Krautrock Progressive Rock: Nektar
German Non-Krautrock: Popol Vuh

Attached: 188383.jpg (320x320, 18K)

Fuck off, Yea Forumsdrone.

that's what genres are retard. defined sounds. there's literally no point in music classification if not by sound (unless you're a sperg who doesn't listen to music for the music lmao)

it's a movement and it's not hard to understand if you're not a complete brainlet

The movement and the genre with the same name are highly correlated.

Krautrock is as much a genre as Japanoise or Yugoslavian post punk are genres. It's a collection of bands from a bunch of different scenes out of a specific place and time that had similar ideals when creating music. There may be a few defining features of some bands that keep them loosely associated, such as a motorik beat or use of electronic instruments, but it is not required for the band to fit under that label. Only the place and time and general idea behind the band are. Therefore, you get Koschmiche Musik and Berlin School under the same roof as German psych rock jam bands. It's silly and stupid, but that's the way it works.

Okay that's fair.
I have a second question: if you don't believe krautrock is a genre of music (whether that's true or not), do you have an issue when someone says that for example Stereolab has a krautrock influence, or you treat it more like "x has a japanese 70s rock vibe" and while 70s j-rock isn't a obviously a genre it might had some qualities that had been prominent enough that a phrase "japanese 70s rock" has actually some meaning and can be useful as a descriptor of music.

Side question maybe not to you specifically, I'm just wondering (even if I actually believe krautrock is somewhat of a useful descriptor) why on Rate Your Music would you have separate tag for krautrock or canterbury scene (with latest release dates being 2019), but you don't have for example norwegian black metal?

Yeah I wasn’t arguing against CAN being Krautrock. Soundtracks is another good example
Yeah you keep on repeating the same sentiment with no new information. Nice caps tho
I can actually get being this. Good analysis.

krautrock should NOT be considered an actual genre for the reasons this user listed here same goes for No Wave given that James Chance doesn't sound like Glenn Branca. it's a movement / scene and not a genre

>no new information
there was plenty of new information in that post but that's on you if you opt not to acknowledge any of it simply because you got talked down to like the ignorant child you are

Branca (especially his stuff with Theoretical Girls) and Chance have plenty in common retard. No Wave as a whole was all about dissonance yielded from a traditional/semi-traditional band setup and that describes both Chance's and Branca's music. In fact, I'm pretty sure No Wave as a "movement" is fabricated, other than the fact that the music sounds similar (which can be chalked up to pretty much all of the big names being familiar with each other) there's no consistent aesthetic or goal throughout "No Wave" music and considering that there were like 5 true blue "No Wave" bands tops you can't really call it a scene either. Get fucked retard.

>I'm pretty sure No Wave as a "movement" is fabricated
but you're wrong because you don't even know how it's a pun on New Wave and the clear objective was rejection of the commercial values of New Wave and the dissonance you refer to isn't even a requisite for No Wave

Attached: 3242.jpg (600x600, 162K)

Are Faust krautrock

based opinion

>it's don't
yeah you pretty much summed up the rest of your post right there

yes it is you retard lmao. if you seriously think your little fantano approved New York Noise compilation that was compiled by some faggot decades after everyone agreed no wave was dead means anything you’re a funny guy. also pretty sure most of the essential no wave bands were releasing stuff before new wave was a thing, “no wave” was popularized as a term after the fact by trendy music journalists (gee it’s almost like you read the wiki page and called it a day). another question: how exactly is stuff like The Dance and Lizzy rejecting the commercial aspects of new wave again? half of the bands on your comp aren’t even remotely inaccessible lmao. if this is bait you sir win the internet for a day

>mentioning melon and wikipedia for no reason whatsoever
>something has to be inaccessible for it to be uncommercial now or ever
>pretty sure most of....
if you're not even certain then why even bother to speak on the subject? No Wave was uncommercial because bands weren't aiming to sign to a major label, sell a bunch of records or get on the cover of Rolling Stone, moron.

God you're fucking stupid

if that’s the case then no wave as a scene has existed literally since the beginning of music and is still going on now lmao

was can even really german? i mean that one weird guy was a vagrant jap i think and the other guy before him was american.